Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-03-02 08:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Remora.Ninian said:
I think it has to do with the fact that SE stated that Astral Flow ends upon an avatar's release (Maybe its Odin/Alex only?). Idk... maybe I'm wrong, or maybe they're rumors.
Probably just them, though it is interesting.

My SMN is ~14, and I've never used astral flow. How does that affect the average SMN?

It affects ABing things (bosses) such as CoP.... Otherwise it's not a huge deal. Astral Flow BPs do less damage than my 75 Meritted BP, but its nice for things that need to be AoE'd.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-02 09:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Ninian said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Remora.Ninian said:
I think it has to do with the fact that SE stated that Astral Flow ends upon an avatar's release (Maybe its Odin/Alex only?). Idk... maybe I'm wrong, or maybe they're rumors.

My SMN is ~14, and I've never used astral flow. How does that affect the average SMN?

It affects ABing things (bosses) such as CoP.... Otherwise it's not a huge deal. Astral Flow BPs do less damage than my 75 Meritted BP, but its nice for things that need to be AoE'd.
Ah, I went through CoP the fun way. Only thing burned was BLM burn Ouryu (after 3 or so DD fails).

Guess I don't even understand Astral Flow as much as I thought. Gonna go wiki it.

Edit: Heavenly Strike is pretty sexy. LS members have used it the last couple Limbus run.
[+]
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-03-02 09:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Remora.Ninian said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Remora.Ninian said:

Ah, I went through CoP the fun way. Only thing burned was BLM burn Ouryu (after 3 or so DD fails).

Guess I don't even understand Astral Flow as much as I thought. Gonna go wiki it.

Edit: Heavenly Strike is pretty sexy. LS members have used it the last couple Limbus run.

I went through CoP the hard way, but did it the cop-out way for friend's mules. Ouryu is amazing astral burned with Garuda, lol. She hardly takes damage. Anyway, Wind Blade and Thunderstorm or bust. :<
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-02 09:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Ninian said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Remora.Ninian said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Remora.Ninian said:

I went through CoP the hard way, but did it the cop-out way for friend's mules. Ouryu is amazing astral burned with Garuda, lol. She hardly takes damage. Anyway, Wind Blade and Thunderstorm or bust. :<
Aye, I thought about using SMNs for it, but there were more BLMs available.

Apparently what I didn't realize is that astral flow lasts for 3 minutes. I thought it was much shorter.
[+]
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-03-02 09:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Remora.Ninian said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Remora.Ninian said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Remora.Ninian said:

Aye, I thought about using SMNs for it, but there were more BLMs available.

Apparently what I didn't realize is that astral flow lasts for 3 minutes. I thought it was much shorter.

Yeah, with timers you can up to 3 BPs per Flow normally, more if you're crafty. Being able to do only one Flow is going to really suck. Like I said, damage fails in comparison to merit BPs, the only use for it is for free perp or killing things in AOE (I.E. Slave Globes).
[+]
 Remora.Ryujia
user: Ryujia
By Remora.Ryujia 2010-03-02 19:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not even worth it then cause you're burning all your MP. I imagine Ramuh's Thunderspark is more MP/dmg efficient. Astral Flow is only useful at 75 for the free avatar!
[+]
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-03-02 22:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Ryujia said:
It's not even worth it then cause you're burning all your MP. I imagine Ramuh's Thunderspark is more MP/dmg efficient. Astral Flow is only useful at 75 for the free avatar!

Well, in my example like. Mother Globe's Slaves have a decent amount of HP, and you want them deaded, Thunderspark won't kill them but Flow will. (It's just if you don't have a BLM or whatever) otherwise AF is Free perp, lol.
[+]
 Remora.Eriuddo
user: Eriuddo
By Remora.Eriuddo 2010-03-03 08:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Recruiting people to a linkshell that's based around an activity that suits 5 actual characters + 2 mules is entirely laughable. It's Ayrlie's attempt to gain control over the AB situation by guaranteeing he gets a spot in any party his ls runs. The problem is that he didn't think it through, as adding more people ABing is only hurting himself.

Not that any of this matters, if you honestly expect SE to leave AB as is when they raise cap you're pretty misled. If it's not patched this update, it will be in June.

Food for thought: If you have 2 parties taking turns in tunnel and 40 minute pulls for 40k, you're averaging about 30k/hr with no wasted downtime. I can beat that in a lesser colibri party with one outside helper instead of two, much less ABing in alternate camps without taking turns(buburimu, shakhrami, ordelles).

Addendum: I don't dislike or hate AB, nor do I think it makes poor players. I just consider the system people have made it into entirely HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Save yourself the effort of pulling or paying someone and get the same exp/hr in a real party for *** sake, shouldn't ever be more than one party in tunnel.
 Sylph.Tsujikiri
Server: Sylph
user: Tsujikiri
By Sylph.Tsujikiri 2010-03-03 09:15:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure how Odin's two hour ability will work with AB?
 Garuda.Zeosilot
Server: Garuda
user: Zeosilot
By Garuda.Zeosilot 2010-03-03 09:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tsujikiri said:
Not sure how Odin's two hour ability will work with AB?

Based on what was said at Fanfest it won't. Too many mobs will reduce the acc/damage of the attack.
 Remora.Ojor
user: Rojo
By Remora.Ojor 2010-03-03 12:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Eriuddo said:
Addendum: I don't dislike or hate AB, nor do I think it makes poor players. I just consider the system people have made it into entirely HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Save yourself the effort of pulling or paying someone and get the same exp/hr in a real party for *** sake, shouldn't ever be more than one party in tunnel.
While I agree, I have to think the gil adds quite a bit more weight to his reasoning for doing it rather than the raw XP per hour.

Getting paid to merit sounds like a win/win, no? Assume 200k per leech, 100k to each of two pullers and he can probably stiff the other two SMNs that are getting easy (if boring) XP while he's at it. Let's assume he's fair and pays his help. Three merit points and ~100k for about 3 minutes of actual work is pretty appealing.

On the AF ability subject, if SE was so concerned about people ABing, they could 'fix' it very easily by introducing a 1-2 second cool-down before a player is eligible to gain XP after the initial gain. No normal XP party would have two kills within a second of each other regardless. Then there's no need to touch the job ability. Assuming of course the rumors are anything more than just rumors.

*Edit: Rate-downs are amusing when I'm simply analyzing the situation and making an educated guess on someone's reasoning, not speaking for or against the practice. I had two level 12s used as syncs ABed to 23 simply because the option was there and I didn't want to grind those PITA low levels. If SE breaks the ability to AB, all the better because it will end these stupid debates.
[+]
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2010-03-03 17:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
You have an ls dedicated to this? -.-
Well thats k, we have Tons of ppl who wana keep out zone as is, and make sure noone wants that LS to have any fun, SE gona Nerf it soon anyways once the new Merger happens
 Seraph.Phaded
Server: Seraph
user: Phaded
By Seraph.Phaded 2010-03-03 18:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Ayrlie said:
In less than a month, our servers will merge, and I will be bringing with the merger the Astral Burn linkshell. While I won't be issuing any new linkpearls until the merger, I have opened the applications at our website, http://astralburn.guildlaunch.com/ Our linkshell on the remora server usually has 4 or 5 very active people that is in the various zones almost all the time. The majority of our summoners that had held this pearl have gone on to take part in various end-game related events. In a couple days I will be creating a new mule on the server to preview the server prior to the merger.

In other words you're looking to try and monopolize a zone. I'll tell you what I tell all the fail SMN burn shells on Seraph. GO BURN IN MAZE OF SHAKRAMI. You're not a real SMN burn shell if you are only living in one area for weeks at a time.

And to the players that start burns with only a holder and a puller, you're doing it wrong. If your SMNs arent pulling your just lowering your exp/hr. If you can't get atleast 4 pullers quit monopolizing Korroloka and go somewhere less crowded. Leave the tunnel for PTs that can rotate every 40 min.
[+]
 Remora.Laphine
By Remora.Laphine 2010-03-04 07:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

completely forgot about this thread.
As for the nerf, smn aoe will only be able to hit 10 mobs at a time now.
[+]
 Seraph.Phaded
Server: Seraph
user: Phaded
By Seraph.Phaded 2010-03-04 15:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:
completely forgot about this thread. As for the nerf, smn aoe will only be able to hit 10 mobs at a time now.

Since I see your SMN is only lvl 1 I'm guessing that you don't already know that Diamond Dust already only hits 15 mobs, not all 200 that a holder may have on him/her. SE isn't going to gimp anything. Deal with it. >.>
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-03-04 15:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

waiting for someone to make a smn burn calender, simmilar to dynamis calender, then QQ because "they took korroloka on our time QQQQQQ"
[+]
 Remora.Ryujia
user: Ryujia
By Remora.Ryujia 2010-03-07 12:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
waiting for someone to make a smn burn calender, simmilar to dynamis calender, then QQ because "they took korroloka on our time QQQQQQ"

Every time you post, and I see your avatar, I can't help but watch it loop a few times.

<3House
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-03-19 03:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Ninian said:
I don't see why you can't just do this with friends/lsmates etc... seems kinda silly to me. Not to mention....

Not every shell has the resources, manpower or competence to pull off an Astral Burn.
 Leviathan.Rayne
user: Rayne22
By Leviathan.Rayne 2010-03-20 08:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it ammusing that you acually have a LS for this. Its own rules and guidelines forums recruitment and all! lol...

I really hope they don't nerf it til an update after the merge. I want to go to Kor and see the chaos