Blu Gets Party?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » blu gets party?
blu gets party?
First Page 2 3 4
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-02-27 04:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

why does it seem blu is over looked nowadays for exp. parties, blu/thf can do so much fliping dmg if they understand how the job is played, i mean really what up?
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-02-27 04:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Well unfortunately it's categorized with BLM a bit. You require MP to do damage which means you have to stop and rest MP at times to keep your DDing going. Resting = down time. Down time = slower parties. Slower parties = people are disappointed. Prevention of disappointment = No BLUs in party.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-02-27 04:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

most pts have some sort of refresh to keep the healer with mp for cures, nothing wrong with adding one more person to the refresh cycle
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-27 04:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Although BLU/THF can throw down some pretty impressive numbers, they can only do it once a minute and they rely on MP.

When I was levleing on DRK I partyed with a blu on normal colibri and just eyeballing the log it looked like he was the best DD in the party. His Sneak attacked spells were doing tonnes of damage.

But then I check my parse and I was doing twice the damage he was (33% vs ~15%).

The combination of low melee damage and only being able to do 'full' damage once a minute meant he was getting his *** kicked by every other DD in the party.

That is why BLU can excel in fights where SA works well (HNMs), but can't keep up in a merit party/exp party.
[+]
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-02-27 04:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

well honestly, 55+ i have never had a MP issue with MP drainkiss being used as a MB my mp is pretty much endless, when fighting things like crabs or colbri, and SA garantees that all my mp is being used with 100% land rates and full dmg.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rylis
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2010-02-27 07:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Generally, when fighting colibri on my BLU, I've kept up with the other DDs quite well as BLU/THF.. The trick is really MP management, good gear swaps, etc.. Knowing hot to make the most of your job and your party helps..

Even if you can't keep up in damage, making yourself useful, which is something a parse doesn't really track, can make all the difference. Given the SAMwagaon these days, you're probably in a party with one, at 60+, you can work well with a SAM/THF.. Allow him to go crazy, because that's all he wants to do, anyway, and SA+Yuki, then follow with a CASA Death Scissors onto your tank (And make Compression to BA+MP Drainkiss).

Add in that you're a decent debuff job, and that your magic won't be reflected, if you're willing to keep the extra gear around to land them, you can be a good utility/DD.

I usually BLU/THF to Colibri parties, and if there is any source of Refresh, I don't have to rest.. While still staying competitive with the party's DDs.. Unfortunately, though, most BLUs don't understand their job, and as such, the invites are rather slow. Admittedly, even when you get a good BLU, he should be outparsed by a good SAM.. The damage potential just isn't there.

The point is really just that if you know what you're doing, you'll remain competitive while offering something to the party that's a bit more unique.
[+]
 Fenrir.Shambo
Server: Fenrir
user: Shambo
By Fenrir.Shambo 2010-02-27 08:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

no
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-27 08:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
you can work well with a SAM/THF.. Allow him to go crazy, because that's all he wants to do, anyway, and SA+Yuki
Wrong sub and wrong WS on the sam
[+]
 Asura.Ericka
Server: Asura
user: foxxie
By Asura.Ericka 2010-02-27 09:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats Too much Refreshing! Poor RDM who Has to Refresh You!
Poor BRD who Has to Ballad You!

What If your PT Has a Crappy PLD tank and his MP/HP is always Low and youre Over there Crying for Refresh?! Thats Too much Pressure D:
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-27 09:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have to rest 55+ you're doing it wrong... but no, we don't. BLU is fairly weak DPS through EXP and even at 75 it's only going to perform well if you play very aggressively and have good gear.
 Lakshmi.Rylis
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2010-02-27 10:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Quote:
you can work well with a SAM/THF.. Allow him to go crazy, because that's all he wants to do, anyway, and SA Yuki

To which I assume your statement implies /WAR and Penta Thrust. I was looking at party efficiency over personal e-peen.

Most of my parties on BLU are LS or friends, and we generally pull ~15k/hr through Lessers and Colibris, even with our setup often being different from the norm..

Cookie-cutter parties are for pickup groups. When you know you won't party only with idiots, it's often a lot nicer to trade a little "Look at me" for "Let's get this done."
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-27 10:10:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I was looking at party efficiency
If sam/thf is making a more efficient party for you than sam/war, get better players.
[+]
 Alexander.Nepharite
Server: Alexander
user: nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2010-02-27 10:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

double attack, berserk, and warcry offer a lot more than SA every 1min.
[+]
user: Loltron
By Fenrir.Gimmeurselables 2010-02-27 10:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

yes
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-27 10:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

lol how did Bengal get busted for her granny non nude w/ *** avatar, but we have ones like mithras bent over and the one above still floating about?
user: Loltron
By Fenrir.Gimmeurselables 2010-02-27 10:27:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Because I'm awesome.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2010-02-27 10:27:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't doubt that BLU can be great in parties, but when it comes to BLU you're pretty much completely relying on the BLU you invite to be competent and skilled in their job to make sure they pull all of the stops with MP management and proper spells. Its tough these days when people level jobs just to get them to 75 and throw them onto their e-peen list without taking the time to fully understand how to play the job. That's why many people find themselves with BLUs in party that bludgeon spam and then sit out the rest of the fight. I have certainly seen some fantastic BLUs in parties and other events but its hard for people to pray for a really great BLU when there are 500 polearm SAMs looking for a party.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-27 10:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, the more haste that's added into the party, worse blu becomes in comparison since the haste only effects the DoT/WS portion of their damage and not the spell portion (well yea recast timer but still doesn't exceed 50% and even then if you spammed them as fast as max haste allows you'd run out of mp), so while other jobs are getting 95-100% of their damage increased by buffs, the blu will be getting a lot less. This problem is also shared by pup, whose automaton doesn't get any benefit from the master being buffed.
 Fairy.Darkcloudx
By Fairy.Darkcloudx 2010-02-27 11:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

When I leveled BLU I was /NIN the whole way, and I think I tanked as much as the tank did. I am not saying my style is completely right, to each their own.

The reason BLUs do not get parties today.. look at what the majority is wearing full AF and mp rings.. You are a DD job and your physical spell Acc is dependent on your melee acc, yet a good grip of BLUs I see lfp wear almost no acc gear. I just shake my head and wonder how they hit anything.

Before you argue back, there is a time and a place for the magical BLU, but the fact of the matter is, in EXP its just inefficient. I can understand why they don't get invites anymore, its a crapshoot. When there is a 70% chance when they arrive to camp they are going to blow ***.
[+]
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-02-27 12:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
lol how did Bengal get busted for her granny non nude w/ *** avatar, but we have ones like mithras bent over and the one above still floating about?
Old people are not sexy. Mithra and 20-something girls with nice butts are.

Plus no girls on the internets xDD
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-27 13:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Never got to merit lvls. But at say up to mid 60s I did rediculous amounts. Set alot of str/dex spells and just melee hard. Used to just melee hate away from fail plds. Then actually DD spells later especially with SA.

Granted I always made juice and such but meh.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-02-27 13:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

A terrible BLU that kills his MP in a few sec and has to rest for about 15s~ makes the rest of yall look bad thats why BLUs dont get invite

also every other DD jerbs will probably get invited b4 you
[+]
 Valefor.Grozny
Server: Valefor
user: Grozny
By Valefor.Grozny 2010-03-03 11:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Argettio said:
Although BLU/THF can throw down some pretty impressive numbers, they can only do it once a minute and they rely on MP.

Just because SA is only available every minute, does not mean that Blu can only throw down some pretty impressive numbers every minute. Thats like saying a Drk can only throw down some every 5-6 mins..
Argettio said:
When I was levleing on DRK I partyed with a blu on normal colibri and just eyeballing the log it looked like he was the best DD in the party. His Sneak attacked spells were doing tonnes of damage.

But then I check my parse and I was doing twice the damage he was (33% vs ~15%).

The combination of low melee damage and only being able to do 'full' damage once a minute meant he was getting his *** kicked by every other DD in the party.

That is why BLU can excel in fights where SA works well (HNMs), but can't keep up in a merit party/exp party."

Sounds like you judged the whole Blu job from an experience with one (probably bad) Blu.

In xp, there is a lot more to Blu than just SA+Spell.. Between TA+Spell, SA+Spell, Melee, and other random stuff in between that, it does add up. With TA+Spell you can really do a Thfs job better than they can do with Assassin..

It really boils down to Blu being a lot more difficult to get right than other jobs like Sam.. and you will more times than not get a crappy Blu..

Blu is my favorite job in the game, and I admit when xping other jobs, I would most likely invite a Sam or something before inviting a Blu. A gimpy Sam will be much better than a gimpy Blu.
[+]
 Valefor.Mattyc
By Valefor.Mattyc 2010-03-03 11:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

blu is an easy job to maintain and be good at u just need to learn the modifiers.
it can be a great DD "if" you play it right in the role of a party member.
mainly gonna spam head butt while tp'n.
building up tp is easy to do with the right acc/haste build assuming your 75.
even lower levels i got tons of invites and rocked jaws /thf.
people saw how i played and remembered never had a problem getting to 75.
on a sad subject i actually leveled my blu to 75 faster than my lolrdm.
im almost 100% blu in sea assuming its inside events blu gets all the right tools for jailers and farming.
outside totally different lol. thats sam territory.
at any rate if theres sam lfg and theres a 6 blus lfg obviously sam will get invited 1st but if i were a rdm i wouldnt want another potential member needing haste and refresh.
blu is a great job, its just meant more for end game and solo then a party to 75 and now 99 even >.>
 Siren.Delirium
Server: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2010-03-04 13:41:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
In xp, there is a lot more to Blu than just SA+Spell.. Between TA+Spell, SA+Spell, Melee, and other random stuff in between that, it does add up. With TA+Spell you can really do a Thfs job better than they can do with Assassin..

um... no

TA is NOT 100% accurate without assassin thus unreliable solo. which is why it's always stacked on SA pre60 by any THF or 60+ by any /thf job. Also the fact it doesnt add damage /thf make this even more incorrect.
[+]
 Sylph.Sindri
Server: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-03-04 14:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Quote:
you can work well with a SAM/THF.. Allow him to go crazy, because that's all he wants to do, anyway, and SA Yuki

This ^

BLU took forever to get to 75 even with a RDM and MP Drainkiss which actually takes too long and slashes your damage to MB, MP will still be an issue. Campaign is a god-send and so are pages in Ro'Maeve. On HNMs and Instanced NMS like Jailers, Gods and Proto-Omega with SA you can find your Cannonballs pull hate, 1k+ is never a problem with a decent build. This is the case for HNMs too, I got 300 without my build on me and without SA on Khim but because most HNMs have a tail attack you wont be able to do this and BLU is not used on them much.
 Fairy.Pwrlessgirl
user: Pwrless
By Fairy.Pwrlessgirl 2010-03-04 14:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

When i did parties in Bhafalu killing birds was easy to double macro refresh RDM / haste WAR, Refresh PLD / haste PLD, Refresh BLU / haste SAM for example... but as I got to Caedarva Mire on 67+ parties where a TANK(PLD) is a must prior to lvl 70, is very hard to get a BLU in party.

@ lvl 67-70 with RDM/WHM:
Just dealing with Dia2, Dispel, curaga, regen, and Refresh/haste3x, and silena, and barfira / barsilencera... is a lot for RDM/WHM. Can it be done? Yes, refresh / haste have about 20 second timer and the time it takes to kill those IMPS is about a minute, however you put in jeopardy time you need for bar magic and being ocationally silenced and/or zzz.
If a party has WHM as healer then is hard to get a BLU cuz they AIN'T getting any refresh.

Valefor.Grozny
By Valefor.Grozny 2010-03-05 12:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Delirium said:
Quote:

um... no

TA is NOT 100% accurate without assassin thus unreliable solo. which is why it's always stacked on SA pre60 by any THF or 60+ by any /thf job. Also the fact it doesnt add damage /thf make this even more incorrect.

A Thf main will solo a TA in xp for what? 100-250 ish DMG? If you can't do a TA Frenetic rip for at least 100-300 DMG you might be doing something wrong. You do not need the 100% acc, & you do not need the Critical hit from "Assassin". Frenetic rip solo will do that, and the TA is only there to transfer the hate to the tank...

Blu/thf is different from other DD/thf in that we can throw out a spell with TA, where other DDs have to stack SA+TA them to really be able to take benefit of both SA and TA.

Think about it this way.
[60+ so Thf main has assassin, and /thf has TA.]

Thf Main: Open with a TA Dancing Edge, follow by a solo SA, and then just TP till the next mob.

Blu/thf: Open with TA Frenetic rip, follow by a SA Death Scissors (or another 1-hitter) and then TP while headbutting, and doing whatever else that is needed and mp will permit.

Other DD/thf: TP, TP, TP, TP, TP, SA+TA Weapon skill. This is why most will get more benefit from subbing /sam, /war, /drg.

Edit: I see you are a Thf main, and that explains why you got defensive about what I said.
Quote:
you can really do a Thfs job better than they can do with Assassin..

Maybe I went a little far and worded it wrong saying this, since I know a Thfs job is more than just planting hate on the tank. Thf can pull better than blu (I wouldn't want to as blu), and then Thf also has Accomplice & Collaborator.

Though in my opinion in an xp party, Blu/thf can plant hate on a tank with TA+Spell easier and better than a Thf main can do with Solo TA Assassin.
[+]
 Remora.Starsha
Server: Remora
user: Starsha
By Remora.Starsha 2010-03-05 12:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU/NIN can be amazing in merit parties. I was once lfp on BRD75 and got a tell...{Immortals} {Burn} {party} {Do you need it?}. While I was skeptical because I was used to DDx3, BRDx2, RDM merit parties, I figured what the hell, I'll try it for something different. Our setup was BLUx4, BRD, RDM and it turned out to be the best exp/hour I've ever gotten in a merit party. We roamed, and all I had to do was Ballad everyone, while the RDM only refreshed himself and the BLUs. Since the BLUs could self heal and self haste, it was also the easiest merits me or my RDM friend ever got. Evisceration tears through birds like nothing else. Granted, they were amazingly geared JP BLUs. Ever since that party, I've been wanting to make another one, but it's been hard to set up as I don't know many BLU75s and there are never any lfp.

Just my two cents...
[+]
 Valefor.Grozny
By Valefor.Grozny 2010-03-05 13:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I love Blu burns on birds. Last one I did was 3xBlu, Cor, Brd, Rdm. The Rdm was pretty bored though.

Blu burn also works well in King Ranperre's Tomb, and is a pretty fun change from pink birds.
First Page 2 3 4