Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » need help on Blu gear re-working
need help on Blu gear re-working
First Page 2 3
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-02-22 11:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

being a proud Blue mage i sometimes ask myself "can i do more DMG" when Self SC Light i can total more then 2-3k in a Camp* battle so i think its time for a needed change

my set Blu/Nin

im trying my best to get all the Mirage Pieces but other then relics what stuff should i keep, replace "with"?
 Odin.Lowblow
Server: Odin
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-02-22 11:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

what lvl are you?
First take off all the AF
Get your self some Acc pieces in all those slots for TP.
Then depening on your spells and sc, you swap in STR Dex, etc etc.
Ohat/turban
Sh
Battle gloves/enkidu/denali
relic/denali legs
enkidu/denali
Also there are some very cheap Acc rings for TP build also. Venerer and others

thats the easiest tp set i can recomend, as the better pieces are alot harder to obtain
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-22 11:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate said:
my set Blu/Nin
There's your first problem. Not trying to be elitist, the hard truth is a BLU fulltiming gear can't and won't perform well.

Second problem is your feet, legs, and head aren't doing anything for the majority of what you're probably casting.

Third problem is wearing MP earrings past a max MP idle set to buff out of (which really isn't worth it to begin with).

Bibiki Seashell in a non-Cannonball or Magic Fruit set.

Garrulous and Unyielding Rings.
 Seraph.Drakelth
Server: Seraph
user: drakelth
By Seraph.Drakelth 2010-02-22 11:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

enkidu hands and legs are good as well and denali feet.
depending on ur race your rse satchel is a good pick.
perdu hanger is nice alwell, ur af head isnt doing anything for ur solo lights. and of course sea acces is a good thing for blu, ur af body is the best thing to cast most big spells in but the +1 is the best

Most blus have more then 1 item se, atm i have a big 3 build, a tp build, a mages build a breath build, a tank build and a cannon build
 Fenrir.Havster
user: Havster
By Fenrir.Havster 2010-02-22 11:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Treat the "Big 3" as you would any multi hitter WS.

Ballance your Acc, make sure they are landing all the hits then pile in the STR in every slot you can.

Wiki says that the mods for the big 3 are DEX however STR will serve you far better, you want to increase the damage then you put in STR.

The AF Body is godly, should be in ALL of your spells, +15 BLU magic skill is amazing, if you have the oppertunity to +1 it then do it asap.

If you can get it then the Relic Head isnt far behind.

Not only will these pieces dramatically increase your acc and Damage they will lower your resistances to your non physicals.

A BLU doing any physical/magical spells in a Scorpion Harness makes me die a little inside.

WITHOUT bursting it myself I norm clock in 3.5-4k Darkness SCs /NIN.

Think my BLU nuking setup is in my profile, poss a lil out of date but you will get the idea.

Have fun :)

*edit is now up to date and a slight changing in my wording to avoid confusion.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-22 11:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Havster said:
Wiki says that the mods for the big 3 are DEX, thats purely because of the Acc for the multi hitters, you want to increase the damage then you put in STR.
No. All 3 have an actual DEX mod, STR just happens do do as much (Hysteric) or more (Frenetic, Disseverment) than DEX for those spells.
Quote:
Think my BLU nuking setup is in my profile, poss a lil out of date but you will get the idea.
Enkidu's Mittens for Hysteric if you want to optimize, don't need OHat's ACC either (assuming you're eating sushi) so you can swap to Voyager/AF2/Gnadbhod's/Maat's etc in that slot.
 Fenrir.Havster
By Fenrir.Havster 2010-02-22 11:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Fenrir.Havster said:
Wiki says that the mods for the big 3 are DEX, thats purely because of the Acc for the multi hitters, you want to increase the damage then you put in STR.
No. All 3 have an actual DEX mod, STR just happens do do as much (Hysteric) or more (Frenetic, Disseverment) than DEX for those spells.
Quote:
Enkidu's Mittens for Hysteric if you want to optimize, don't need OHat's ACC either so you can swap to Voyager/AF2/Gnadbhod's/Maat's etc in that slot.

So....... my initial point that Wiki says DEX but STR will serve you better is accurate then lol. You made exactly the same point as me.......

And I said it was out of date, I have the Relic Head +1 in there.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-02-22 11:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

i mainly use Physical Spells till i can max Assimilation so i work work something in so i can start bursting

oh yeah im kinda working on getting sea access

but yeah list some equipment that would work around my play style
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-22 11:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Havster said:
So....... my initial point that Wiki says DEX but STR will serve you better is accurate then lol. You made exactly the same point as me.......

And I said it was out of date, I have the Relic Head 1 in there.
You said DEX provided ACC only, which is untrue. HQ, nice.
 Seraph.Drakelth
By Seraph.Drakelth 2010-02-22 11:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

the moogle hat might be worth a look 4 str and 10 acc will beat the O hat easily, this is what i am working towards

Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-22 11:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

i mainly use Physical Spells till i can max Assimilation so i work work something in so i can start bursting

Haste and ACC for TP, mods for spells, mods and ACC for your weaponskills. Mods vary by spells and WS. Are you curing, nuking, physical spells? MACC for debuffs? hMP set for resting?
 Fenrir.Havster
By Fenrir.Havster 2010-02-22 11:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Fenrir.Havster said:

And I said it was out of date, I have the Relic Head +1 in there.
You said DEX provided ACC only, which is untrue. HQ, nice.

Ahhhhh I see your point now, mis-wording on my part, should have simply said DEX wont serve you as well as STR despite what wiki said.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-22 11:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotcha, all good then.
[+]
 Seraph.Drakelth
By Seraph.Drakelth 2010-02-22 11:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

more blue magic points will let u set more spells but i suggest you dont try to set all the spells for ur different builds, because if you do you will hurting you self, if you doing cannonball /thf have all ur spells set for that 1 1 goal, if your doing big 3/tping in a merit have ur spells set towards that in mind
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-02-22 11:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Haste and ACC for TP, mods for spells, mods and ACC for your weaponskills. Mods vary by spells and WS. Are you curing, nuking, physical spells? MACC for debuffs? hMP set for resting?

only physical spells
heres my main list of skill i use

Battle Dance
Grand Slam
Uppercut
Terror Touch
Dimensional Death
Frenetic Rip
Dimensional Death
Hysteric Barrage
Cannonball
Self-Destruct
Triumphant Roar
Cold Wave
Refueling
Frightful Roar
Voracious Trunk
Cocoon -----\
Blank Gaze--/ Swap out for Head Butt if needed

missing blu magics
Amplification
Mind Blast [i hate Soulflayers]
and all things in sea
 Seraph.Drakelth
By Seraph.Drakelth 2010-02-22 11:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

i think thats the best u can do till u get sea.
 Bismarck.Evolex
Server: Bismarck
user: Evolex
By Bismarck.Evolex 2010-02-22 11:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure if you're wanting just a cannonball light sc set or a tp/ws/casting set, but here ya go.

All these things should be fairly easy to get and not that expensive w/ exception of a few things.

TP
Erkling/Beast/x/Tiphia
Wally/Spectacles,chiv chain/Diabolos, coral/minuet
SH or relic/dusk or some acc gloves(cobra, battle)/woods/ecphoria,woods
amemet nq, hq preferred/swift, life belt, virtuoso belt/relic or denali/dusk or some acc feet like cobra

Your swords are fine though so dont get to hectic about that just yet. Since you are working on sea, i'd guess diabolos would be fairly easy to get otw. Campaign for cobra gear if you're short on funds. Ecphoria is fairly cheap iirc. Life belt can last you but try for a swift.

WS
swap in your garrulous/str ring, some str hands like pallas, ws in acc body, try to get a potent or virtuoso for ws, ws in amemet not smilo+1, for feet i use rutters but idk how accessible that'd be to you. If you can get an ohat or mog hat w/ ws stats that'd be awsm, if you can't the only thing i can think of off the top of my head is wivre mask.

I'm guessing that's your spellcasting set up above, so try this.

Spellcasting(big3)

demon/ifrits/x/tiphia
moogle hat, ohat, wivre mask/spectacles or chiv chain/diabolos(multihit) or a str earring/ minuet
af body/relic, denali, enkindu/str,dex ring/str, dex ring
smilo+1/potent, virtuoso, life, warwolf/relic, denali, enkindu/acc feet or something with str n dex like hume marine rse

That's what I have right now, sorry for the long post
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-22 11:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Still leaves you with at least

a TP set (Haste, ACC)
one or more WS sets (STR and DEX/MND/INT depending on the WS, acc, attack)
a set for the multihit spells (STR/DEX)
a MACC set
a Cannonball set (STR, VIT)
a Magic Fruit set (MND, VIT)
and an hMP set as opposed to fulltime gear.

Top priority should be better weapons and the first three sets above. Beast Slayer and Erlking's Blade are easy to get... though Erlking's is fickle. Might be more effective to pursue a Koggelmander as you can get screwed over on augments with Erlking's and Koggel is better anyway. hMP set should be upgraded alongside/after those, then Cannonball, then Magic Fruit (which can double as an ok Magic Hammer set), then your debuff set. What you do from there depends entirely on just how far you want to push your BLU...

EDIT: Swords are not fine. Demon Slayer is ok but not worth the gil, Ifrit's Blade is killing your melee DPS.
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-02-22 12:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If your looking on some easy to get but good gear to get until you can get some endgame gear, here are a few things.....

Head: Saurian,denali,walmart
body: cobra harness(tp),[af,(+1)always cast in this period.]
hands:cobra(tp),denali (cast)
legs:cobra(tp),denali (cast)
feet:cobra(tp),denali (cast)
neck: spects, PCC(tp), Chiv. chain (cast)
belt: swift, headlong(tp), warwolf (cast)
ears: suppa (tp), Triumph Earring x2 (cast)
rings: rajas (fulltime),Ecphoria Ring(tp), flame ring(cast)

this should work until you can get some homam,relic,enkidu
with mixing and matching these 3 endgame sets will give you every thing a blu needs. Until then the stuff I posted should hold you down.

p.s. remember try to plus+1 af body its the best casting peice in the game.

edit: swords: perdu,kogg
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-02-22 12:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

theres only 2 WS combo's i use and thats

Vorpal Blade > Hysteric Barrage [Detonation]

Savage Blade > Cannonball [Light]

im trying to unlock "Expiacion" but cant find anyone willing to do Nyzul from Floor 1
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-02-22 12:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

also get sea asap the spells are a must have:)
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-02-22 12:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Kalico said:

i know but its hard on this server cuz no1 wants to do 2-3 again
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-02-22 12:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Kalico said:
i know but its hard on this server cuz no1 wants to do 2-3 again

I hear ya try to get a static or make 1 up your gonna need sea spells @ 75 blu w/o sea = very gimp

[+]
 Siren.Delirium
Server: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2010-02-22 12:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what i use for my Lv68 Blue Mage. All this gear should be easily obtainable to you and will greatly (not the weapons really or back piece) enhance everything you do, until you can get the better gear they've already informed you of.

Obviously using AF at 75 is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE except for macro pieces. Gear swaps are your friend as a blue mage

Edit: Also setting Chaotic Eye and Zephyr Mantle for Conserve MP will save you LOTS of mp
 Bismarck.Evolex
By Bismarck.Evolex 2010-02-22 12:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Swords are not fine. Demon Slayer is ok but not worth the gil, Ifrit's Blade is killing your melee DPS.

Considering there are other upgrades far more important for him to obtain, I'd still say they're fine for now. Beast slayer pending his willingness to farm zeni and as said above, erlking's can be tricky to get good augs on.
Edit*
I missed headlong belt in my previous post, idk how i ended up missing that.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-22 13:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Evolex said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Swords are not fine. Demon Slayer is ok but not worth the gil, Ifrit's Blade is killing your melee DPS.

Considering there are other upgrades far more important for him to obtain, I'd still say they're fine for now. Beast slayer pending his willingness to farm zeni and as said above, erlking's can be tricky to get. good augs on.
Cheese Hoarder is a spammable T1 ZNM that 2 mages can kill in under half an hour even with iffy gear. 3 BLM can kill it in under 10 minutes with AMII, and the only reason it takes that long is the times he runs away. It also gives him triggers for working towards Enkidu's Mittens and Subligar, so it's two birds with one stone. Demon Slayer is ok as I mentioned, but at the very least Ifrit's Blade has to go. The sooner the better.
[+]
 Bismarck.Evolex
By Bismarck.Evolex 2010-02-22 13:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bismarck.Evolex said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Considering there are other upgrades far more important for him to obtain, I'd still say they're fine for now. Beast slayer pending his willingness to farm zeni and as said above, erlking's can be tricky to get. good augs on.
Cheese Hoarder is a spammable T1 ZNM that 2 mages can kill in under half an hour even with iffy gear. 3 BLM can kill it in under 10 minutes with AMII, and the only reason it takes that long is the times he runs away. It also gives him triggers for working towards Enkidu's Mittens and Subligar, so it's two birds with one stone. Demon Slayer is ok as I mentioned, but at the very least Ifrit's Blade has to go. The sooner the better.

Yup has to go as soon as possible I agree, but rather have op NOT TPing in af/mp gear before anything else.
 Siren.Delirium
Server: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2010-02-22 13:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got my Beast Slayer and Wightslayer already too. Very easily obtainable. Perdu however....
 Bismarck.Evolex
By Bismarck.Evolex 2010-02-22 13:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Delirium said:
I've got my Beast Slayer and Wightslayer already too. Very easily obtainable. Perdu however....

Congratz
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-22 13:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Perdu takes time if you don't have the rank, yes... Add in the fact that finding an Assault static is even harder than getting a group for CoP these days and it can be quite the challenge to rank up in a reasonable timeframe now.
First Page 2 3