FFXI PS3 Players!! HDD, Upgrade Or Not To Upgrade?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI PS3 players!! HDD, upgrade or not to upgrade?
FFXI PS3 players!! HDD, upgrade or not to upgrade?
 Ramuh.Kiroo
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Kiroo
By Ramuh.Kiroo 2010-02-02 09:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I've noticed that over time my ps3 had slowed down some, i think its the hard drive. I always seem to be waiting for the damn blinking light to finish either when i 1st log in or when I'm in a high traffic area. Mind you my net speed is blazing, my girlfriend on her wireless-connected lap top has faster load times. She can be in same high traffic area with no problems, the game loads after log on way faster and she's on the same modem I'm on.
Have any PS3 users noticed and better changes with a faster newer HDD? I have checked out new egg and some ppl have said indeed a faster running drive has had great changes for loads, but of course no direct intell from ffxi players. Thanks in advance.
 Ragnarok.Inga
Server: Ragnarok
user: Inga
By Ragnarok.Inga 2010-02-02 09:14:19
Link | Quote | Reply

first thing I did when I got my PS3 2 years ago was swap out the 80gig for a 250 gig, best thing ever.
 Carbuncle.Shadowwind
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Shadowwind 2010-02-02 09:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If this started happening recently, it may not be your HDD. Ever since the last update, I've noticed the same issue when I actually log onto this on my PS3, and quite a few others I know have(although not all). I could very well be something they may have changed in the last update causing it. If you're running an old 80gb model, then something may have changed to where the cell is having trouble emulating the code its being fed. Come to think of it, everyone I know who is having issues since the last update are running 80gb models, the few I know that aren't are running 60gb models.
By Fahzewn 2010-02-02 09:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally upgraded to a Seagate 500GB/7200rpm HDD but I find that FFXI actually runs choppier compared to the original 60GB. I'm hoping it's a matter of the newer drive being 3.0 transfer while the original was 1.5 transfer I believe. If so, then a jumper block might help it.

Btw...unless they changed it recently, if you back up your HDD and it has FFXI on it. When you restore the new drive, FFXI will be put on it as well. Nice little surprise for me since it takes forever to re-install.
 Ragnarok.Inga
By Ragnarok.Inga 2010-02-02 09:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fahzewn said:
I personally upgraded to a Seagate 500GB/7200rpm HDD but I find that FFXI actually runs choppier compared to the original 60GB. I'm hoping it's a matter of the newer drive being 3.0 transfer while the original was 1.5 transfer I believe. If so, then a jumper block might help it.

Btw...unless they changed it recently, if you back up your HDD and it has FFXI on it. When you restore the new drive, FFXI will be put on it as well. Nice little surprise for me since it takes forever to re-install.

it was said that the 5400rpm run better then the 7200rpm in the PS3. :s mines 5400rpm and it runs just fine.
 Hades.Fahzewn
Server: Hades
user: Fahzewn
By Hades.Fahzewn 2010-02-02 09:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Inga said:
Fahzewn said:
I personally upgraded to a Seagate 500GB/7200rpm HDD but I find that FFXI actually runs choppier compared to the original 60GB. I'm hoping it's a matter of the newer drive being 3.0 transfer while the original was 1.5 transfer I believe. If so, then a jumper block might help it. Btw...unless they changed it recently, if you back up your HDD and it has FFXI on it. When you restore the new drive, FFXI will be put on it as well. Nice little surprise for me since it takes forever to re-install.
it was said that the 5400rpm run better then the 7200rpm in the PS3. :s mines 5400rpm and it runs just fine.

Oh well. If I have any real issues with it, I'll go back to 5400. Doesn't matter atm....YLOD
 Ragnarok.Inga
By Ragnarok.Inga 2010-02-02 09:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

YLOD hmm.. lol have fun with sony D: they suck about as much as SE when it comes to that ***.
 Ramuh.Kiroo
Server: Ramuh
user: Kiroo
By Ramuh.Kiroo 2010-02-02 10:42:41
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah i got the orginal 60 gig that has the ps2 chips inside. Its not emulated.
 Hades.Fahzewn
Server: Hades
user: Fahzewn
By Hades.Fahzewn 2010-02-02 11:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Inga said:
YLOD hmm.. lol have fun with sony D: they suck about as much as SE when it comes to that ***.

Not playing Sony's rules (I.E. sending it in to get someone's elses PS3/problems back refurbed for $150). Repairing it myself. Had it running already but didn't spend enough time reheating the motherboard.

Anyway back on topic...don't want to hijack or anything. Which update? PS3? FFXI? Version update or one of those updates to fix the updates?

I haven't noticed anything different on my PS3 when it ran since either of those updates (major or small) honestly. My GF has the original drive in her PS3 still...might boot it up to see if anything looks funny loading the game.
 Ifrit.Edric
Server: Ifrit
user: Edric
By Ifrit.Edric 2010-02-04 22:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys, I've heard about people having this prob as well, what's the word on the PS3 fragging up the HD, I would think none, amirite? But still, if it did over time, that'd lead to higher seek times and lag as a consequence you'd reckon? Just my 1.5 cents