users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Guillotine Damage help
Guillotine Damage help
 Garuda.Fishheadman
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
By Garuda.Fishheadman 2008-10-23 04:31:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Since I hit 75DRK I have been upset at the poor accuracy on Guillotine. For the longest time i have been using great sword as Spinning Slash seems to be way more consistent.

From what i read guillotine has about 65% chance of hitting all 4 hits with 95% accuracy. In a merit party on birds Spinning Slash out performs Guillotine pretty much 100% of the time. SS usally does about 500-1k damage( mostly around 700-900) on birds for me as drk/sam with Hasso. Guillotine will do 300-1k damage (usually hovers around 600-700 with the occasional 800+)

Why is it that great sword can out perform scythe when scythe is our main/best weapon. I would love to be hitting big numbers with Guillotine but i have almost gave up. To see my weaponskill sets check my page on this site.

I think maybe i need more DEX i have around +50 accuracy on my guillotine set and + 10 DEX atm. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have noticed enemies around T or lower guillotine owns Great Sword including farming mobs so why does it lose its power on higher level mobs.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2008-10-23 05:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a DRK, I don't have the job unlocked yet if I was honest, but I'd put it down to Guillotine being a 4-hit WS, while Spinning Slash is only a 1-hit WS. You're almost guarenteed to land 1/4 hits on Guillotine, so the same principle applies to SS. The difference is that Guillotine requires 3-4 hits to land to do high damage, while SS only requires the 1.

Personally, I'd experiment a little, buy some cheap DEX+ pieces, and don't use things like the Gigas Bracelets (Enke, Pallas, Alky, etc). If you find you land more hits consistently, I would consider using the DEX+ set. Colibri's have naturally high Evasion (Evasion Bonus +20 according to wiki), and I'm 95% sure you've hit the Accuracy Cap (I could be wrong, but I think the cap on Acc+ is around +37 from gear).

As a WAR, I had the same problem with Raging Rush and Rampage, RR gave me much better WS damage (averaging 500-900 on exp mobs at 62) (3-hit WS) against Rampage (averaging 100-750 on the same mobs). I then started adding a bit more accuracy to my Rampage build, before this I was +25-30 on my Rampage build, after this I was +45'ish. I noticed my rampage numbers went up a little, typically 250-750'ish, but were still not comparable to my RR damage. Now I have 5 Axe merits and notice a far more reliable Rampage damage set, typically doing 500-1.2k on Greater Colibri, without Sushi.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2008-10-23 06:16:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You have a 81.5% chance of hitting all 4 hits with 95% accuracy (0.95^4), not 65%. Guillotine is multihit and therefore has "exponential returns" -- the larger your accuracy/attack get, the more it will outperform Spinning Slash... and vice versa. This is true of all multihits and is the reason SAM weaponskills like Y/G/K do so much better than multihits on HNM (you will have low comparative attack and/or accuracy there).

How to improve Guillotine? Versus Spinning Slash, as your gear/merits get better, it will start outperforming it more and more... until that point, it will be less spectacular.

My gear is thus:

Scythe 8/8
Main: Perdu Sickle
Sub: Pole Grip
Ammo: Fire Bomblet
Head: Chaos Burgeonet +1
Neck: Justice Torque
Ear1: Assault Earring
Ear2: Brutal Earring
Body: Hecatomb Harness
Hands: Chaos Gauntlets +1
Ring1: Ulthalam's Ring [Ruby Ring if enemy is not evasive]
Ring2: Rajas Ring
Back: Forager's Mantle
Waist: Potent Belt
Legs: Black Cuisses
Feet: Hecatomb Leggings

That's a good mix of STR and accuracy but everyone's Guillotine build is different, and you have to think about tradeoffs.

Using Meat Mithkabobs in an average merit party my parsed Guillotine average damage is ~1075. If we have no buffs (way below average merit party), it drops to about ~700. Good luck~