Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » Elemental Seal vs. Focalization
Elemental Seal vs. Focalization
By Hermitthemarx 2010-01-23 21:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys. I just finished leveling my scholar and I have something thats bothering me. I wanna know how accuracy Focalization, fully merited, is against Elemental Seal. Does it give you just as much accuracy as ES or less. Is it even worth meriting completely? Thanks.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-23 22:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

There's not even any info on how much Elemental Seal gives, so it would be really hard to tell. Regardless, Klimaform alone is generally enough to floor resist rate and wasting two Stratagems for an additional ACC boost seems like a waste in my opinion.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-23 22:29:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Well elemental seal is kinda crazy. Seems to do more than just add a certain amount of macc. Like when a job with no native enfeebling can land ES sleepga with capped hitrate on a mob that a rdm with 350+ skill and some macc would be at the low cap for. I seriously doubt focalization can do that since according to the text only adds 5-25macc.

Also while not proof according to wiki ES does over-write focalization generally meaning it's stronger.
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2010-01-23 22:29:19
Link | Quote | Reply

This might help. Think we might've discussed some of the questions you might have.
 Ragnarok.Holyman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Holyman
By Ragnarok.Holyman 2010-01-23 22:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

As Enternius mentioned there is not much info about how much Elemental Seal gives , but for me it seems that Elemental Seal adds percentage % of your magic accuracy , I've never seen elemental seal resist unless the mob is immune to particular spell or you're using spell that weak against it e.g: water-based spell against Thunder Elemental.

For your question about Focalization , IMO , Yes it worths the merits.

Much of the choices in group 2 merits depend on your playing style , the way you use SCH , Is Focalization as potent as Elemental Seal ? No , but it's very decent since you can use it every 2 mins , basically you're adding Macc+25 every 2 mins for your next black magic enfeebling, elemental, or Dark Magic skill .

Personally I went 3/5 Focalization , while some people says 5/5 or bust , for me I merited the way I play the job & I have enough Macc/skill gear to make it up for the 10 macc .

If you don't wanna merit Focalization you still have great ways to get around it e.g :
1) Alacrity + Voidstorm + Klimaform while equipping Argute Loafers , then cast the weather of your choice according to the spell you're using , that way you can get Klimaform recast almost as low as 1 min (I'm not sure exactly how much u can cut off the recast but it's really very low) , so you would almost have permanent Klimaform , considering you only use Alacrity .

2) Maxing Stormsurge , while under the effect of Hailstorm you would have INT+7 (which gives magic accuracy anywhere between 3.5~7 depends on your dINT "difference of INT between you & of the mob") , while it's not *** effective as previous way , it's great over-time.

3) Parsimony is your friend , & gear up toward skill "like if you're casting on something really resistant e.g Tiamat" , in best cases if unresisted you will cast as much twice as your friendly neighbor BLM with less damage but almost stable damage , in worst cases if resisted you would have spent less MP / resisted damage lets assume half resist , fair trade .
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-23 22:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

ES spells can be resisted outside of that. Just a few days ago I got a 1/4 resisted nuke as a 75blm against something below lvl 10 with ES. I was like wtfing. Pissed me off enough I threw a AM2 at it for full dmg. It's just really rare
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-23 23:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
ES spells can be resisted outside of that. Just a few days ago I got a 1/4 resisted nuke as a 75blm against something below lvl 10 with ES. I was like wtfing. Pissed me off enough I threw a AM2 at it for full dmg. It's just really rare
95% ACC cap.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-23 23:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

True but magic is a little different. That 95% refers to the chance to fully land. So say the odds of me getting 1/4 resist with capped macc was more like .2375%. Same with the 5% lower cap.