2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Blue gear advice
Blue gear advice
By semimmortal 2009-12-25 15:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Hiryo said:
semimmortal said:
Your gear's pretty good. I don't see the fail here.
Did that 75 BLU at least say WHY did you fail?

Numbers on Frenetic Rip usually is pretty mediocre at the LVL you learn it. Gets better as you level up.

TPing in SH( 1) is WAY better than AF when fighting VT/IT, and you can easily gear swap for spells. Faster TP rates means better chances in getting DS's numbers really high (makes a difference at 100 TP when SACA). Also means faster way to self-SC Gravitation for MP Drainskiss (usually SC off someone else WS if I can).

And Greed Sword was very nice for me as an Elvaan. I'd see why though in a Taru's point of view.

Again, would be helpful to see what the fail is here. As I can't see it :x

They said i failed because i TP in this gear and swap to cast spells, and not fulltime AF like they do.
Im a Hume, but i love it also, but i carry two MCF incase of level sync or w.e lol
LOL, wtf? They seriously said that?
I'm guessing the forgot to add the /psych! at the end of their conversation.

... Otherwise I'm baffled.
 Hades.Hiryo
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-12-25 15:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Ultrarichard said:
Hades.Hiryo said:
Are you subbing nin in exp? Because /THF is the ***.

@63 you get 10 ACC from a trait so that'll help, Maybe get that Belt off Belladona? It's 12ACC 4ATK? Not sure what else lol

i do sub nin, i have security issues with pretty much all tanks along with my enmity merits :p i'm not all that concerned with big omgwtf numbers, and enjoy looking at my parses (except one -.- which i posted) though my food is limited to crab sushi, again due to the tanks. i guess i'll just have to deal with it lol

Trick attack + Mand bite the tank, then do CASA Death Scissors for win! :D
But yeah, /THF is amazing especially if you have a thf in your party..
THF opens with SATA DE on the NIN / PLD then you do CASA Death Scissors and the mob is pretty much at 25%.. :D
By semimmortal 2009-12-25 15:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
One thing I see though is the lack of PCC or PCA, might not be a huge issue, but I don't see why not doing UO would be a bad thing (had lots of fun, plus made off lots of gils from those Uts. Nis I kept getting. 5/12 Ni. 1/12 PCC :D).

; ; 0/48 on pcc, 2/48 on ni...
/wrist, hate it when that happens... Had that same issue when camping for Emp. Hairpin. Made me almost give up on the game lol.
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-12-25 15:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Hades.Hiryo said:
semimmortal said:

Numbers on Frenetic Rip usually is pretty mediocre at the LVL you learn it. Gets better as you level up.

TPing in SH( 1) is WAY better than AF when fighting VT/IT, and you can easily gear swap for spells. Faster TP rates means better chances in getting DS's numbers really high (makes a difference at 100 TP when SACA). Also means faster way to self-SC Gravitation for MP Drainskiss (usually SC off someone else WS if I can).

And Greed Sword was very nice for me as an Elvaan. I'd see why though in a Taru's point of view.

They said i failed because i TP in this gear and swap to cast spells, and not fulltime AF like they do.
Im a Hume, but i love it also, but i carry two MCF incase of level sync or w.e lol

Yeah, apparently I'm a "lolfailblu" I think was what one said to me..
By semimmortal 2009-12-25 16:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-12-25 16:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Hiryo said:
semimmortal said:
Hades.Hiryo said:
semimmortal said:

Hades is really starting to look moronic lately ; ;.
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-12-25 16:15:25
Link | Quote | Reply

/wave
A fellow blue from Hades!

And yes, yes it is.
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-12-25 16:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:
Hades.Hiryo said:
semimmortal said:
Hades.Hiryo said:
semimmortal said:

omg! that blu's subbing blm. what a fail blu! it's blus like you that make me tp in full af to show how better i am than you!

we all know the true pimp sub. HOLLA TO ME YOU BLU/COR AF PIMPS! HOLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-12-25 16:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

(inb4 any "WELL ACTUALLY blu/cor blah blah" :o chill dawgs.)
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-12-25 17:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

lol.
 Hades.Stefanos
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-12-25 17:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:
Hades.Hiryo said:
semimmortal said:
Hades.Hiryo said:
semimmortal said:

omg! that blu's subbing blm. what a fail blu! it's blus like you that make me tp in full af to show how better i am than you!

we all know the true pimp sub. HOLLA TO ME YOU BLU/COR AF PIMPS! HOLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Haha
 Cerberus.Elgato
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Elgato 2009-12-25 17:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't tell you how many 75 blu's I see in full AF + nuking set. For some reason people just love to gimp that job. I've literally seen people TP'ing in full af + mnd gear...
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-12-25 17:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Elgato said:
I can't tell you how many 75 blu's I see in full AF nuking set. For some reason people just love to gimp that job. I've literally seen people TP'ing in full af mnd gear...

;;

That's why we never get invited to parties, and i have to continuously make my own and people are like WOW i didn't know blue could do that much damage! >.>;

/wrist
 Bismarck.Lighttaru
Server: Bismarck
user: lighttaru
By Bismarck.Lighttaru 2009-12-25 17:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

grats!!! on 63 Hiryo :) ur almost there hehehe... u have a good tp set, could still make a few change but in general i would use that anytime...

#1- like someone said, unless u really lackin of acc u could use AF but SH still good enough (i had it macroed but for utsu: ichi cast) i always had AF till relic body then tp on this.

#2- haste belt wouldnt hurt at all for both dps n casting shadow when u /nin, i still have potent macroed in headbutt to make sure it land

I would love to see the ppl who said u fail as blu LOL i always was /nin in pt bcuz i was pullin hate from a pld n now at 75 a pld barely keep hate away of me n im still not pimped, so f** them n play like u want n u like to play.

PS. if u can try to get that voyager sallet i told ya about u will love it for blu :P
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-12-25 17:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Lighttaru said:
grats!!! on 63 Hiryo :) ur almost there hehehe... u have a good tp set, could still make a few change but in general i would use that anytime...

#1- like someone said, unless u really lackin of acc u could use AF but SH still good enough (i had it macroed but for utsu: ichi cast) i always had AF till relic body then tp on this.

#2- haste belt wouldnt hurt at all for both dps n casting shadow when u /nin, i still have potent macroed in headbutt to make sure it land

I would love to see the ppl who said u fail as blu LOL i always was /nin in pt bcuz i was pullin hate from a pld n now at 75 a pld barely keep hate away of me n im still not pimped, so f** them n play like u want n u like to play.

PS. if u can try to get that voyager sallet i told ya about u will love it for blu :P

Hey ^_^

Yeah, I'll try get it and I'll work on a Haste belt as well then, but tbh if im exping im always /thf much prefer it to /nin
Spent like 4 Hour's in a party the other day, got from 61-63. F.Rip is such a cool move lol, the animation is awesome xD
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-12-25 17:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll tell you some seriously cheap but awesome hands if your really lacking acc on spells (such as when i headbutt in swift for the recast with refueling) Aiming bracelets. not had a look what there is available really at this level in terms of acc, obviously you do not want to tp in these or ws, but i've loved them for blud, headbutt, i'll still probably use them for rip in real high acc problem places.
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-12-25 18:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll tell you some seriously cheap but awesome hands if your really lacking acc on spells (such as when i headbutt in swift for the recast with refueling) Aiming bracelets. not had a look what there is available really at this level in terms of acc, obviously you do not want to tp in these or ws, but i've loved them for blud, headbutt, i'll still probably use them for rip in real high acc problem places.

Yeah they look good I use these atm though;

http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=15058

Never knew these existed until i was browsing the ah for low level gear and was like WTF?! +4acc +1Atk?! /buys

And Aiming Bracelets are never on the AH :X
By semimmortal 2009-12-25 18:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm... the only time I went /NIN in an EXP party was a BLU Burn one. No need to explain that it was the best time I've ever partied before (and chaotic too with the mobs using TP moves every few seconds and all those 4-digits SC assploding everywhere :D).

Otherwise, it's fully recommended to go /THF. TA the tank, CASA your strongest 1-hit spell and you're gold.
For e-peen purposes, stack up on STR and try to get your TP 100+% for guaranteed death (to you of course if you've decided to use it at the beginning).

Of course, it helps the tank to watch your hate limit. Haven't used it a lot, but casting spells like Hydro Shot might help keeping the mob off you.

Which brings up a lol/derail question (might be tested, meh).
What would happen if you TA Hydro Shot into the tank? Would he loose enmity instead?
By semimmortal 2009-12-25 18:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Hiryo said:

Never knew these existed until i was browsing the ah for low level gear and was like WTF?! 4acc 1Atk?! /buys

Aiming Brace might be a little bit bad due to the -18 atk, but that Combat Mittens +1... holy ***, never seen that before.
Might buy it for Level cap purposes. Was using Battle Gloves and was wishing for an upgrade, albeit a few years later :(
By semimmortal 2009-12-25 18:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Triple post, but w/e.
Now I realize why I've never got them... never on AH on my server. :(
Guess I'll farm the items and make it myself lol.
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-12-25 18:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Hades.Hiryo said:

Never knew these existed until i was browsing the ah for low level gear and was like WTF?! 4acc 1Atk?! /buys

Aiming Brace might be a little bit bad due to the -18 atk, but that Combat Mittens 1... holy ***, never seen that before.
Might buy it for Level cap purposes. Was using Battle Gloves and was wishing for an upgrade, albeit a few years later :(

Yeah i was using battle gloves, went to see how much they cost, and saw these bad boys, needless to say i no longer own Battle gloves lol.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-25 18:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to more or less full time af body. The rest aren't really worth using. But again I cap acc first and body is the most important peice and sometimes I cast headbutt way to often to be bothered with switching out all the time. Though now I just don't care and stay in relic unless my mp is full
 Bismarck.Lighttaru
Server: Bismarck
user: lighttaru
By Bismarck.Lighttaru 2009-12-25 18:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

i like to use this: http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=13977 since i never was in trouble hiting mob + is a good mod for cannonball later
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-12-25 19:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Hades.Hiryo said:

Aiming Brace might be a little bit bad due to the -18 atk, but that Combat Mittens 1... holy ***, never seen that before.

well the 18 attack wouldnt make any difference what so ever lol. as att doesnt affect spells? i've never seen those combat mittens though :o still using battle gloves ; ;
By semimmortal 2009-12-25 20:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Not at all to spells, but we shouldn't underestimate the DPS of our swords especially when trying to conserve MP on a 1~3 hours marathon of EXP grinding. You could use it to macro it in for spells, but that's overkill.
 Hades.Danor
user: adamdanor
By Hades.Danor 2010-01-08 12:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

At that level i would xp as /thf and exploit TA and CASA exclusively. CASA Death scissors with a STR+ Build. Set auto refresh and a few other DMG spells that are efficient for whatever you are fighting. As BLU/THF you dont worry about hate on you, put it on PLD or NIN.

During the fight your job is to debuff, store tp, TA tank. Depending on the mob @ 25% or lover you would CASA (Big Damage Spell).

I cant recall the gear setup exactly... but for the big bang I would use something like...

/equip body "Magus Jubbah" (blue magic skill affects acc and spell damage) (from SH or Vermy, TP in vermy is ok if you have a lot of MP attrition, your main job with this setup is to drop a big bomb anyway)
/equip hands "Pallas's Brc."
/equip feet "Marine M Boots"
/equip waist "Potent Belt"
/equip ring1 "Rajas Ring" (Ecphoria)
/equip ring2 "Garrulous Ring" (Sniper's)
/equip head "Voyager's Sallet"

Static items are
Back: Amemet +1, Smilodon +1 @ 64
Neck: Chiv. Chain
Ear: Antivenom/Insomnia (All I had back then)
Shield: Anything +mp is good here at this level. Not much else for you til late game.

Food is dependant on what you are fighting, sole sushi or meat mith is fine for most situations.

BLU/THF is probably my favorite job combo @ 75 with Cannonball and Vertical Cleave. I campaign with bull neck in a complete DD build, no healing magic, just str mods. Typical CASA Vertical Cleave yields 1600-2000 Dmg on campaing mobs. Similar numbers in Dyna and Limbus depending on mob.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-01-08 12:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Not at all to spells, but we shouldn't underestimate the DPS of our swords especially when trying to conserve MP on a 1~3 hours marathon of EXP grinding. You could use it to macro it in for spells, but that's overkill.
What?
[+]
 Siren.Ashkente
Server: Siren
user: Ashkente
By Siren.Ashkente 2010-01-16 16:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

K, what are people's gear recommendations from 65-74, with reasoning if possible.

None of the big sites are actually up to date, and I'm in the mood to compile another FAQ.
Later I'll bother to try and compile gear sets for 75, but right now I'm most interested in that final xp stretch before merits.

Reasons why other gear is bad is also welcome.
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-01-16 17:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Ashkente said:
K, what are people's gear recommendations from 65-74, with reasoning if possible.

None of the big sites are actually up to date, and I'm in the mood to compile another FAQ.
Later I'll bother to try and compile gear sets for 75, but right now I'm most interested in that final xp stretch before merits.

Reasons why other gear is bad is also welcome.

Actually, if you look on page 1 of blue mage alla forums, someones made a 2010 guide, including all the new gear ect that nobody bothered to update others with!
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-01-16 18:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't bothered to read this thread so far 'cause I just don't care about low level...

A lot of people like to go as cheap as possible, upgrading only when necessary, while others prefer to go all out and have the best +2 gear at all times.

While gear choices are reasonably important, it should be a time of learning how to play the job. What SJ to use in each situation, what gear swaps to use for each spell (I myself had pretty ***gear until long after I was 75, since it was my first job and I was always broke).

So here's all the advice I'll offer:

Before 60, you have a few SJ choices, /thf is good but very easy to pull hate with, /war gets you significantly more damage from melee, which can be good in those parties where MP is a stretch. /nin is survivability, but unless your tank sucks shouldn't *really* be needed until imps.

After 60, I very strongly suggest /thf, unless it's imps, and then /nin.

From 48 (I believe) onwards, regardless of your job you should do gravitation solo SC asap, and MB MP Drainkiss if the mob has MP. If the mob doesn't have mp, Gravitation is still quite often your best option (Jet Stream > fusion being it's contender), especially with the option of a Digest MB. After 71, a good SA Death Scissors SC with MP Drainkiss is still going to be better than a disseverement distortion, so if you're lucky enough to have disseverement, use it with TA. Same goes for frenetic rip and hysteric barrage, use them with TA if you're /thf, or just use them as stand alone if your MP can bear it, but don't SC with them.

So gear.

Until you hit 75 it's actually REALLY simple. (hence why I haven't bothered coming in here)

TP = pile on acc
physical spells = AF body and a good mix of acc/STR (your tp build with af body is actually fine for your multi hits)
SA spells = as much STR as you can get, regardless of the spell modifier generally, unless you can get massive chunks of the modifier on a slot you can't get much STR (legs for instance, stupidly few pieces with STR on, think there's a few more been added since I levelled it though).
Magic Fruit/Wild Carrot/Healing Breeze = as much MND as you can get
MP Drainkiss/Digest = skill and macc, nothing else makes a difference
[+]