Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Guilotine WS Equip Help
Guilotine WS Equip Help
 Remora.Abriel
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-16 12:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

blame it on SqEx's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE random number generator, it's been handing me double digit lots on 100s in dynamis since 2004, lol.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-12-16 13:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Moliones sickle which is superb for guillotine, +5acc and +7STR when combined with the ring.

I macro in:
Wyvern helm +5STR (You should full time Aces helm if you have one)
Alky bracelets +11STR
Black sollerets +3STR +8attk
Augmented ruby ring +4STR (+2DEX +2VIT -1AGI).

Don't use flame rings for guillotine, you would be better off with a triumph ring, ruby ring would be pretty much the same, its 1STR below flame but you don't lose the -2MND which is the secondary mod for guillotine (ruby rings are 10% of the price of a flame ring). Also, if you can afford it, get a fire bomblet, one of the best pieces you can have equipped if your firing off guillotines on a regular basis.
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-16 13:23:45
Link | Quote | Reply

eh, seriously, I'd go for capped accuracy first off, giving you the ability to use atk food, in most cases you'll still want a decent amount of acc in both ring slots and to stick with Ohat. you're not going to get a bigger boost in damage than being able to cap acc with gear and use atk food, the alternative would be building on pizza in situations where you can't cap hit rate. nearly the same difference, but it may let you drop some acc gear for damage gear.

there is no end-all singular piece of gear that beats all others in every situation.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Tutone
Server: Midgardsormr
user: TuTone
By Midgardsormr.Tutone 2009-12-16 13:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

right now i have there different gear builds I spec'd for acc/str/haste

All:
Weapon: Moliones with Pole grip
Neck: chiv. chain
Body: Hauberk ( I have done 6 askar body runs just to see 4 Goliards and 1 denali, and no drop)
Pants: Black Cuisses (waiting on askar dirs)
Ears: Abysal/Fowling (switching back to assault over fowling today)
Rings: Moliones/Woodsman
Back: Foragers
Ranged: Bomb Core

Acc
Head: Ohat
Belt: Belladonna (This piece is great)

Strength:
Wyvern Helm
Alky. Braclents
Warwolf Belt
Askar Gamb.

Haste:
Walmart Turban
Dusk Gloves
Headlong Belt
Dusk Boots

I admit it's not the best set-ups but most of this took forever and a day to aquire, and I have alot of fun with these set ups. I have planned on replacing woodsman with bloodring, for accuracy builds, and I cant wait for rajas.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2009-12-16 13:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Guillotine Build for me.

Perdu Sickle/Pole Fire Bomblet
Heca Cap/Chiv Chain/Brutal/Hollow
Heca Harness/Chaos+1Rajas/Blood
Foragers/Potent/Ares/Ares
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-12-16 13:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Imo its always been a case of whether you want to consistently hit for mediocre damage, or sacrifice landing all 4 hits all of the time, but dealing mega damage when they do land. I tend to go for the latter of the two and use rice balls which give a small acc bonus along with STR and attack to really buff up guillotine. If you have a BRD adding attack bonus on top of that... you are dealing some serious, serious damage.
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-16 13:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

decent build so far tutone, only real upgrade could be chiv. to pcc. askar dirs v. black is situational for WSs dependant on your acc, but for tp they're generally better esp. if you plan on taking any damage (pretty much the same case for str/atk cape v. acc capes).

about the str ring argument, triumph/flame/ruby are generally all going to add the same damage unless you tailor your build to take advantage of the extra stats.
[+]
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-16 13:48:19
Link | Quote | Reply

intentionally dropping substantial acc for a slight boost in damage is a big nono, it'll reduce your average damage in total.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-12-16 14:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Make good use of the absorb-acc spell also, it lets me cap my acc for half the duration and still use damage+ gear.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-12-16 14:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Make good use of the absorb-acc spell also, it lets me cap my acc for half the duration and still use damage gear.

Then have 2 sets, 1 for when absorb-acc is up, 1 for when it is down.

With any multi-hit the best damage (in the long run) will always come from capping acc before anything else.

[+]
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-16 14:25:38
Link | Quote | Reply

absorb - acc is nice and all, but you're losing ~3 seconds every min. (if unresisted) using it when you don't need it in the first place due to all the acc gear drk already has access to. it's almost the same as a mnk using boost whenever it's available, although not to such a high degree obviously. in most cases, by the time you're done casting it your enemy will be missing at least ~20% it's hp (when cast in the beginning of battle), this is as opposed to abs. - tp and drains where they will almost always contribute to your damage when used correctly.

I'm not saying it's a useless spell, but you should have it for back-up on evasive enemies when diabolic eye, hasso (when /sam), and absorb - agl aren't enough.

edit; pulled some numbers out of my ***, and it seems you'll lose at least ~17,000 damage/hour keeping up abs. - acc, that's being conservative with the detrimental effect. of course it's going to be greater when you start adding higher haste values, spot-on target swapping and dia2
 Bahamut.Dracondria
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-12-16 15:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

@Sagittario

If you're capping accuracy during TP phase (without ace's) there's no point in using it over Turban.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-12-16 16:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dracondria said:
@Sagittario If you're capping accuracy during TP phase (without ace's) there's no point in using it over Turban.

I only cap acc when I use absorb acc, otherwise I'm not quite there yet.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-12-16 16:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
absorb - acc is nice and all, but you're losing ~3 seconds every min. (if unresisted) using it when you don't need it in the first place due to all the acc gear drk already has access to. it's almost the same as a mnk using boost whenever it's available, although not to such a high degree obviously. in most cases, by the time you're done casting it your enemy will be missing at least ~20% it's hp (when cast in the beginning of battle), this is as opposed to abs. - tp and drains where they will almost always contribute to your damage when used correctly.

I'm not saying it's a useless spell, but you should have it for back-up on evasive enemies when diabolic eye, hasso (when /sam), and absorb - agl aren't enough.

edit; pulled some numbers out of my ***, and it seems you'll lose at least ~17,000 damage/hour keeping up abs. - acc, that's being conservative with the detrimental effect. of course it's going to be greater when you start adding higher haste values, spot-on target swapping and dia2

You should notice I'm talking about merit PTs here if you see the level of the gear that I mentioned, also seeing as you don't really use a scythe over GS anywhere endgame. And you can only cast absorb acc JUST before a colibri dies or you *** somebody over, I can count on my hand the number of times I've had a resist. Also your not taking into consideration the damage gain from having capped acc on a multi hit WS over the same time period.
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-16 16:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I've taken that all into account, you lose considerably more damage during longer fights trying to keep up with that practice. where do you get the idea that I'm referring to GS any way? and I wasn't speaking about full resists, half resists cut the duration of abs. - acc's buff in half. capped accuracy can be easily obtained through gear in any merit situation bar certain mamool, in which case you should be using pizza any way and have diabolic eye ready. saying you screw someone over by casting abs. - acc in the beginning of a fight means you're referring to bird camps, this is where capped acc is one of the easiest places to obtain as a drk using scythe (and just because you cast it when the enemy is almost dead does not mean it won't be reflected, every spell reflected by a bird is instantly cast, there is no casting time even though there is a higher chance it will try to use a tp move instead, that also means there's a high chance the enemy will be dead before you finish casting).
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-12-16 16:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

You are not taking into consideration the damage you lose from deliberately not having capped accuracy when absorb-ACC is down.

I although I disagree with the idea of relying on absorb-acc, if you are going to do it, at least have a second set for when it is down (throw in a life belt or something).
[+]
 Hades.Kvazz
Server: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-12-16 17:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Your first focus should allways be to cap acc WITHOUT buffs, just from gear.
Then, when you put up like, diabolic eye, you can switch in maybe, blitz ring instead of an acc ring, less acc, more haste, like.. Turban over askar\ace's helm, blitz ring over woodsman ring, dusk gloves over homam gloves(last one for more attack, not haste, any increase in dot helps).
I dont personally do this,as I'm RDM main, but any hardcore-dd should try to optimalize their dmg-output as much as possible whenever they can, and allways having capped acc helps you the most.(for the most part, I'm sure there's exceptions, seeing how much haste does in this game)

For guillotine, you want to do the same thing, allways try to get as close to 95% acc as you can, then focus on str\atk.

Edit: Better avarage -> better occational spike!
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-16 17:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

there are many ways to optimize damage output, yeah. the first part is knowing your current enemies and what you have to counter what they may have, once that's determined you can set up your optimized sets under different conditions. all it really turns out to be is a large balancing game with you at the center, your gear on the pendulums and the enemy acting as gravity.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-12-16 17:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply

@Hades.Kvazz

I completely agree, but as Sagittario doesn't seem interested in that idea, so I was suggesting that he try 2 sets.

Personally I have 5 Guillotine sets, starting from ~380 acc going up to ~410 (the one listed on my profile is my 'standard' one). I parse my accuracy in each event I do to decide which set I should be using.
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2009-12-16 17:56:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't worry about gear..just do it naked. Very few things in life can go wrong when naked!
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-16 17:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I use to do similar on ps2. man you should have seen the number of gear macros, it was hell. swapping to GS all I have is several TP sets along with one WS and several casting sets now, and being on pc makes it so much easier. wish I could regear scythe properly, but SqEx are nazis with the weapon combat skill merits and it just wouldn't feel right w/o capped scythe...
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-12-16 18:01:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Don't worry about gear..just do it naked. Very few things in life can go wrong when naked!

That's the irony of this game.

I sit at my desk naked as the day I was born, obsessing over dressing my little char in the 'right' cloths.

That's a horrible thought for you all.
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2009-12-16 18:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Not if you look your avatar..which is very distracting for my 13 yr old mind.
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-12-16 18:14:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does ppl alway need to derail threads... the main question was "Guillotine WS gears?" not "Guillotine WS Mechanics & ohh i have a bigger @-penis than yours!"

Get in prio STR/DEX/accu, & MND in last, & yeah Guillo can not crit, it has to be said in the said descriptions, like for the WS such as Rampage/Raging Rush/Blade: Jin.
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-16 18:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

well, if you check earlier in the thread, all the info's pretty much there. I'm just trying to keep things clean from this point.
 Midgardsormr.Tutone
Server: Midgardsormr
user: TuTone
By Midgardsormr.Tutone 2009-12-17 07:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I didnt have too much time to play around with it, but been trying out a few different gear combos, and I have been seeing a better average and less of spike. I will focus a some time on it this weekend, but it does look like it will help my average gullotine damage output.
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-17 09:16:04
Link | Quote | Reply

there's no way to consistently raise your spike average, it's just completely random thanks to SqEx, lol.