Atheists Are Not Suicide Bombers.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Atheists are not Suicide Bombers.
Atheists are not Suicide Bombers.
First Page 2 ... 12 13 14
 Seraph.Bulleta
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Bulleta
By Seraph.Bulleta 2009-12-01 01:27:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Atleast you know we are not suicide bombers :3

I seen a poster a while back, concerning the 9/11 terrorist attacks. It was a picture of the Eagle shedding a tear, and underneath it it read: "Now will you let prayer back in our schools?"

Excuse me... What the ????

Don't the people who do this kind of crap have too much prayer in their school!?!?
[+]
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-12-01 01:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Bulleta said:

I seen a poster a while back, concerning the 9/11 terrorist attacks. It was a picture of the Eagle shedding a tear, and underneath it it read: "Now will you let prayer back in our schools?"

Don't the people who do this kind of crap have too much prayer in their school!?!?

Yeah, I remember the claims that we were being punished for trying to remove the Christian god from government.

Unfortunately, any and all church shootings pretty much ruin the idea that an angry god punishes a lack of religion...kind of difficult to claim there isn't enough God in church. o,O
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-12-01 01:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I get weekly forwards from my stepmother raging over kids not being allowed to read the Bible or pray in school. It bugs me because it's not true. I'm in college and I can pray or read the Bible any darn time I want to in school and on school grounds. Just because I don't doesn't mean I can't. Religious people are just mad that kids in school are no longer FORCED to read the Bible and pray in school. And to be honest, I have a problem with them having a problem with that. Kids shouldn't be made to do those things if they don't believe them. They are in school to be educated, they go to church if they like for prayer and Bible-reading.
[+]
By semimmortal 2009-12-01 02:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd rather have someone dropping their test-tube onto the floor in Chem lab and yell "OH MY GOD!" rather than "OH SCIENCE!"

Another thing is that religion IS kinda "education", don't you think? Ok, many might say it's all fallacy (don't toss that stone at me!), but it could help morally.
Some "stories" in the holy books (not going to mention which religion here ;3) actually have meaningful advices and Hope+ stats for the kids.
But this all depends on the teacher again.
 Kujata.Segaia
Server: Kujata
user: Segaia
By Kujata.Segaia 2009-12-01 02:22:35
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Another thing is that religion IS kinda "education", don't you think? Ok, many might say it's all fallacy (don't toss that stone at me!), but it could help morally.
Some "stories" in the holy books (not going to mention which religion here ;3) actually have meaningful advices and Hope stats for the kids.
But this all depends on the teacher again.

Morally the bible is pretty much a good book. It let's you question yourself and gives hints what is right. In todays society this already became more and more important. Look at the big cities, crimes and whatnot.

Sadly, the bible is an overall boring book imo. The majority of people just don't read it (well the people that actually should). A remake would be nice lol. Like:

"Yo dawg, master gangsta bro XX to the X held his gun to his superbro's ta bump-bump the shitta outta them! Then a goddamn angel-o came ta tell 'em a story, dude! Yea man, that guy told him goddamn story 'bout Noahs Arc!!! Listen, it goes like this yo: [...]"

lol >.>
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-12-01 02:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, the bible has some pretty questionable morality in it, and is far from necessary in order to teach a child how to be moral. Personally, my moral code is The Golden Rule. If I don't want it done to me, I don't do it to others, plain and simple. 8)
[+]
 Kujata.Segaia
Server: Kujata
user: Segaia
By Kujata.Segaia 2009-12-01 02:37:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Silvaria said:
Actually, the bible has some pretty questionable morality in it, and is far from necessary in order to teach a child how to be moral. Personally, my moral code is The Golden Rule. If I don't want it done to me, I don't do it to others, plain and simple. 8)

Yea you would think it is that easy. Now give a child a gun and say "shoot that guy and you'll get a lollipop". Moral and ethics need to be taught aswell as maths and physics. It is formed by your own experience and life situation aswell as your surroundings (your friends, family etc.).

Now, if one has been raised at bad circumstances his moral can vary, depending what the situation yeilds him, because he views it in a different way, which might be the bad choice in our eyes. For this, the bible is like a nice guide for those who are on the edge of doing the right or wrong. As semimmortal already said, the bible should be seen as a piece of education, tho I'm sure you had an other situation in mind like I do.

Seraph.Caiyuo
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-12-01 02:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

BULLETA'S GOIN' ROGUE? I hadn't even thought of Atheists as the suicide bomber type until this thread; the seed has been planted.

Atheists are totally suicide bombers.
[+]
By semimmortal 2009-12-01 03:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Segaia said:
Sadly, the bible is an overall boring book imo. The majority of people just don't read it (well the people that actually should). A remake would be nice lol.

Even better: make a Hollywood style movie (change the name of the title too). I've seen lots of movie worshipers, so it might work- Oh wait... that didn't turn out too well...
 Bahamut.Stanflame
Server: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-12-01 03:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Bulleta said:

WHO GIVES A *** ABOUT Atheists? I CAN tell you are one. How do you sleep at night? good luck

not that I do not care about atheists just nothing exists for no reason.

Let me be serious now, who the *** said atheists are sucide bombers I doubt that message or slogan or article was about that and the 9/11 attacks you missed the point, my dear.

Ignorance is bliss
 Seraph.Bulleta
user: Bulleta
By Seraph.Bulleta 2009-12-01 03:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Seraph.Bulleta said:
Atleast you know we are not suicide bombers :3 I seen a poster a while back, concerning the 9/11 terrorist attacks. It was a picture of the Eagle shedding a tear, and underneath it it read: "Now will you let prayer back in our schools?" Excuse me... What the ???? Don't the people who do this kind of crap have too much prayer in their school!?!?
WHO GIVES A *** ABOUT Atheists? I CAN tell you are one. How do you sleep at night? good luck not that I do not care about atheists just nothing exists for no reason. Let me be serious now, who the *** said atheists are sucide bombers I doubt that message or slogan or article was about that and the 9/11 attacks you missed the point, my dear. Ignorance is bliss

90% of the violence that has occured is due to a religion.

Take Gays and Jews as two different examples...

Why do people hate gays? Because the bible says to.. Is that peace of hate? >.>
[+]
By semimmortal 2009-12-01 03:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Let me be serious now, who the *** said atheists are sucide bombers I doubt that message or slogan or article was about that and the 9/11 attacks you missed the point, my dear.
Whoa, settle down bro >.>

The point of that poster the OP mentioned (I think that's the point) is to increase the education level of religious studies from "Oh, I know God" to "Thou Shalt Love Thy Neighbor as Thyself".
Basically the wall-poster's instilling fear indirectly by saying if we don't believe in God, we shall fear his wrath... Which is bs, cause it's the work of people that destroyed those towers, not some huge lightning from above.
[+]
By semimmortal 2009-12-01 04:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Bulleta said:
90% of the violence that has occured is due to a religion.

Take Gays and Jews as two different examples...

Why do people hate gays? Because the bible says to.. Is that peace of hate? >.>
That 90% of violence cause by religion is due to morons. If you've noticed, the one's involved in it are just plain stupid.
"I killed my brother cause it's written in the bible the gays must be stoned!"
So if the new law stated so, would you follow it? I know I wouldn't, even if I was jailed for that.

As I've stated above, it's due to the lack of education.
The people hatin' on homos are mostly out of confusing too (I've met those type of people, and I'll sadly admit that I used to be one too). I didn't understand gays until I had a friend who was one (not appearance-wise). Thing's like they are born like that, etc etc etc. Of course, I didn't believe that at 1st.
Later made some independent studies researching them. Factors such as Genes, environments, and what not. Then I understood. Now I don't have anything against them.

Then again, the reason for those things to appear in the books is not purely because the writer hates them. It's also the set the human race straight (no pun intended). Let's say gays managed to become a ruling trend. No more reproduction. Fall of humanity. And so on.

---
tl;dr
I'm a hypocrite

But I'll tell you again, it's the people who causes violence.
Religion is one of the reasons. To say 90% is false. There are many other factors larger than "It's religion's fault".
[+]
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-12-01 04:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Whoa, settle down bro >.>

The point of that poster the OP mentioned (I think that's the point) is to increase the education level of religious studies from "Oh, I know God" to "Thou Shalt Love Thy Neighbor as Thyself".
Basically the wall-poster's instilling fear indirectly by saying if we don't believe in God, we shall fear his wrath... Which is bs, cause it's the work of people that destroyed those towers, not some huge lightning from above.

I realized that later, but when you post in side the thread she created. it did make her seem ignorant. It was my mistake, but looking in that other thread seems like a bunch of bs. As much as I know about religion and other facts, I never force my views on people i just throw stuff out there that can be and where it can come from. I like to push the fact that anything is possible.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-12-01 04:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

See another thing, this is her talking about something different and as you said people using religion to kill are idiots. Does not mean other's have to suffer for religious fanatics whom kill in the name of something , to prove a point or goal to terrorize people since it accomplishes nothing. So I know it was not directed at me, and that I am not said type of people so as you said I should not get to upset about it.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By semimmortal 2009-12-01 04:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Naa, it's not directed at anyone here. It's in general.
It's like saying "ALL MUSLIMS ARE BLOODTHIRSTY SAVAGES!" because their book says to "stone adulterers" and such. Where in fact, not all of them are as above and in fact very peaceful fellows.

Same can go to other religions. But do we see them killing each other in modern society? Nope. Only places we can find such cases are in the interiors (don't know what they're called... not-modern-people?),here people are poorly educated.

Let's say suddenly an Atheist started killing religious people because "according to science, religion is poison to human advances". Are Atheism the cause of violence. No. It's that person's fault, or anyone who stupidly thinks that's what to be done.
 Seraph.Helixx
user: Helixx
By Seraph.Helixx 2009-12-01 04:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Religions are outdated. Primary use for religion was to TEACH and EDUCATE people back in the times when knowledge was not available in massess to the masses as is today.

Also, whoever needs to be TAUGHT that killings and murder are wrong, has serious social issues.
[+]
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-12-01 05:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Helixx said:
Also, whoever needs to be TAUGHT that killings and murder are wrong, has serious social issues.

NO TRUE

My parents taught me all I know and it's why I am not a killer, they are Religious I admit it. You get taught about stuff like this in the third grade. I was 5-6 by the time I knew killing was bad maybe younger, I did not learn it from school, self taught and my parents are for any kid are the main teachers whom mold you for life.

So a kid with no guide or parents need to be taugh and it should be made sense to teach about not killing in school whether people know whats wrong or not. even if they do children are usually too young in this generation and younger people whom are 10-21 now, to not know certain consequences. If may take a while to shake into your head my friend died in an accident that could have been me etc...
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-01 05:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Bulleta said:
At least you know we are not suicide bombers
People are willing to give there lives for causes other than religion ya know.
Seraph.Helixx said:
Religions are outdated. Primary use for religion was to Pacify and take advantage of people back in the times when knowledge was not available in massess to the masses as is today by keeping knowledge from them.

Fixed. Lol teach.
Seraph.Helixx said:
People aren't born knowing murder is wrong. We learn it. And it being a social issue is really just your opinion. Plenty of societies that had a bit lower value on human life worked just fine
[+]
 Phoenix.Lazuras
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2009-12-01 06:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Murder, theft, dishonesty, adultery and pretty much every other socially frowned upon activity, belief, moral, etc. is the bi-product of the human survival instinct.

Guy A has food.
Guy B does not have food.
Guy B kills Guy A.
Guy B has food.

Sure, the logical response to this situation would be for both parties to work together because more hands equal less work and better payoffs, usually. But, instinct is far from logical.

People are greedy and selfish as part of a genetic drive for survival, not because they lack morals. A lack of morals implies one knows the societal imposed right and wrongs yet chooses to disregard them.

The problem with any conflict is never so much religion or difference of opinion, its the human "me first" instinct that causes the confusion.

[+]
By semimmortal 2009-12-01 06:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
People are willing to give there lives for causes other than religion ya know.
Same goes to giving up lives to protect their country. Suicide bombers have two classes:
1) Patriotic. Basically joining the forces is itself suicide. But it must be done to protect your country.
2) Idiots. Strapping bombs around yourself and then hitting a cafe is a low blow. Of course, people say that their book says that's a good thing and ensures their departure to heaven. Well, I've discussed with many religious friends (from different ethnicity and the religion itself) and they've concluded that it's entirely wrong and is a result of misinterpreting the book/law.

Will killing dozens of innocents gain anything for them and their people? Nope, in fact, causing greater harm and stereotypings.
Again, not being educated can cause these type of disasters.

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Seraph.Helixx said:
Religions are outdated. Primary use for religion was to Pacify and take advantage of people back in the times when knowledge was not available in massess to the masses as is today by keeping knowledge from them.

Fixed. Lol teach.
That would've been correct of they were to listen to some corrupt teacher.
Otherwise, this is correct:
Seraph.Helixx said:
Religions are outdated. Primary use for religion was to TEACH and EDUCATE people back in the times when knowledge was not available in massess to the masses as is today.
Though ,sadly as I've mentioned, many of the religious teachers nowadays are terrible and corrupt. Doing their job cause of materialistic matters such as money and fame(won't lie, if I were to take their job, I'd want to be paid!). But that's the downfall of humanity/society. 2012 F-YEAH!

Lemme discuss the most misunderstood religion: Islam. They were very technologically advanced in their time period. From opening new field of science (iirc, The Periodic table was formed by them) and beautiful artistic works.
I could go on with other religions, but that would be pushing it to the omg;wtf;tl;dr side. >.>
Now to say that knowledge is kept from their people is once again wrong in this section.

Of course, their downfall is like any great civilizations we've known in the past. Corruptions, backstage heists, etc.
(Romans anybody? Where they go? D:)
If history repeat itself, then we're in a pinch folks...

---
tl;dr

I'm a hypocrite, and I'm bored. Can someone link me to a good flash-based game I could play?
Too much religion topics on my gaming board's going to ruin me lol.
[+]
By semimmortal 2009-12-01 06:27:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Lazuras said:
The problem with any conflict is never so much religion or difference of opinion, its the human "me first" instinct that causes the confusion.
Isn't this the same in FFXI?
I want them Mirage Shalwar... But someone got higher ls-points!
Maybe I should ninja-steal it next time :3
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-01 06:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Seraph.Helixx said:
Fixed. Lol teach.
That would've been correct of they were to listen to some corrupt teacher. Otherwise, this is correct:
Seraph.Helixx said:
Except these weren't teachers. These are religoious leaders who have found themselves with power thanks to said religion. Historically religion has been about making ***up to explain things generally to make everyone feel better about how crappy things are and to explain wtf they need to be giving their hard earned money they worked hard for to some guys who don't work.

By the time religion became an actually sorta teaching operation the knowledge was already out there and they were forced to in order to better regulate what people learned
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-12-01 06:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If this topic is going when I get back from school, I'll explain a slightly different reasoning as to how the human nature actually fits into all this, why we have religion (it's a survival skill, actually) and other such things that no one will actually listen to.

Time for my Chex though :D
 Valefor.Ghuda
Server: Valefor
user: Ghuda
By Valefor.Ghuda 2009-12-01 06:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Relgion.....cos yeah, a big all knowing dude in the sky who cares so much about humans he gives some of the children cancer or makes them die in horrid ways....

or lets people be raised in poverty

or lets people be killed for no reason

or lets 4 cops who were just doing paper work before doing their work of protecting the rest of us, be shot dead

just cos, you know...he moves in mysterious ways...

I call ***, if god were a dog owner he/she would have been put before the RSPCA for pet neglect long ago.
[+]
By semimmortal 2009-12-01 06:55:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Except these weren't teachers. These are religoious leaders who have found themselves with power thanks to said religion. Historically religion has been about making ***up to explain things generally to make everyone feel better about how crappy things are and to explain wtf they need to be giving their hard earned money they worked hard for to some guys who don't work.

By the time religion became an actually sorta teaching operation the knowledge was already out there and they were forced to in order to better regulate what people learned
Correct, but bluntly said. Though I think the charity, which in your definition is "giving their hard earned money they worked hard for to some guys who don't work", is kinda harsh. Ideally, its supposed to feed the poor and disabled (like how the government system works nowadays), but because of these so-called-leaders, it ends up in their pocket.

But again, not all "leaders" are corrupt. Basically put some effort into researching who the heck are you going to listen to and you'll be at ease knowing you've made the right choice.

[If someone calls himself a "leader" to a religion, then I hope he likes the finger I'll be flicking at him.]
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-12-01 07:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Stanflame said:
WHO GIVES A *** ABOUT Atheists? I CAN tell you are one. How do you sleep at night? good luck

So because our religious views oppose with yours, we struggle to sleep at night and nobody cares about us? I can't even attribute this to anything other than perhaps when we die we believe nothing further happens to us. That's all I can even link your point to.

To which I say, I and most other atheists do not fear death and neither do we live in fear of it. Even if I believed in god, I'd still believe in death. Simple reasoning for that is I'm not somebody who's lead blindly by anyone. There has to be logic and evidence in my thinking, otherwise it doesn't happen. Fact of the matter is scientific evidence of most of the anti-religious views are all around us. When questioned, the answers can (mostly) be given. Whereas if you ask a priest the same question, their response is "It's all the lord's work".

I sleep quite well at night, I have good friends, I have a good job, good financial security, etc, etc. None of this was obtained with help from "the holy father" or some "unseen force". It was all obtained from hard work by me. Religion is a comfort at best in today's society, it's now only the people with nothing else to clutch to that preach so strongly about how any non-religious people are wrong.

You can say "Who gives a *** about atheists" as much as you like, it just bottom lines the reason why people like you are so disliked. We don't dislike you for your religion or your beliefs; we dislike you for how you treat others with beliefs.

Again:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:

I could say who gives a *** about christians. I can tell you are one. How do you sleep at night? Good luck.
[+]
By semimmortal 2009-12-01 07:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ghuda said:
Relgion.....cos yeah, a big all knowing dude in the sky who cares so much about humans he gives some of the children cancer or makes them die in horrid ways....

or lets people be raised in poverty

or lets people be killed for no reason

or lets 4 cops who were just doing paper work before doing their work of protecting the rest of us, be shot dead

just cos, you know...he moves in mysterious ways...

I call ***, if god were a dog owner he/she would have been put before the RSPCA for pet neglect long ago.
So...
If we take subtract every disease and illness from this universe.
Give lots of money to everyone (oh lol, who needs the economy XD)
Make all men and women, but police officers, immortal (my poor cousin ; ;)
God would then exist?

Don't think so.

In fact, It would get worse cause there won't be any need to yell out "Oh my God!" once in a while (except in bed :D)
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-12-01 07:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said:
I get weekly forwards from my stepmother raging over kids not being allowed to read the Bible or pray in school. It bugs me because it's not true. I'm in college and I can pray or read the Bible any darn time I want to in school and on school grounds. Just because I don't doesn't mean I can't. Religious people are just mad that kids in school are no longer FORCED to read the Bible and pray in school. And to be honest, I have a problem with them having a problem with that. Kids shouldn't be made to do those things if they don't believe them. They are in school to be educated, they go to church if they like for prayer and Bible-reading.

QFT

One word: Choice

(For the record, I am agnostic.)
First Page 2 ... 12 13 14