DRK Looking For A Piercing Weapon...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » DRK looking for a piercing weapon...
DRK looking for a piercing weapon...
 Caitsith.Xiong
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Xiong
By Caitsith.Xiong 2009-11-21 00:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm looking for a decent piercing weapon for my DRK. I could only come up w/ Blau Doulch(sp). But, since DRK's dagger skill is C thats not very amazing, and we don't get any really good WS's from dagger. I was wondering if there are any good swords I could maybe pick up that have piercing. Wiki has that some Epee's and Rapiers are piercing, but doesn't list many. Sucks we can't use Joyeuse XD.

Please just answer my question. So tired of trolls.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-21 00:37:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Mercurial Kris
 Caitsith.Xiong
By Caitsith.Xiong 2009-11-21 00:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

But would I get decent dmg? ; ; never played w/ one so I'm not sure. But I don't imagine that putting out good numbers.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-21 00:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Um soul eater onry really. Adder Jambiya +1 Ermine's TailHeart Snatcher Maybe
 Caitsith.Xiong
By Caitsith.Xiong 2009-11-21 00:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

so no one knows any swords? ; ; guess I'm buying a Blau. XD Although I like that ermine's tail. Thanks for reminding me about that one Dasva.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-21 00:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure dagger is the best you're going to get. To my knowledge there are no Scythes, Great Swords, Axes or Great Axes with a special piercing damage type, and while DRK can use swords, they can't equip most of the epee/rapier type swords.

These may or may not be piercing, there's no comments on them but going off the image alone they appear to be rapiers:

Tutelary
Colichemarde
Colichemarde +1
Mailbreaker
Mailbreaker +1

None of them are exactly amazing options, but I can't imagine why you need it? The only thing I can think of for why you would need this is limbus, but that's a ridiculously easy zone, our drk just uses a warp cudgel or sits back and does nothing *shrug*
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-21 00:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah really there aren't alot of peircing swds. Pretty much just Mensur Epee Joyeuse Sylphid Epee. Mensur epee very nice dmg solo however wss are still done with the base dmg unfortunately. Sylphid just sucks and joy toy... nice. Unfortunately none can be worn by drk.

Birdbanes have peircing though not sure I'd call them good.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
Server: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-11-21 00:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It would produce stellar numbers during a zerg and terrible numbers anywhere else. (Regarding mkris)

Blau would really be the best thing you get, since there aren't any piercing scythes or greatswords.

Blazza, bilbo-type swords are still slashing, not piercing. And Dasva, Birdbanes are actually very good.
 Caitsith.Xiong
By Caitsith.Xiong 2009-11-21 01:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

birdbanes for drk aren't good, thats what we're looking at. And thanks guys for the input. Reason I'm looking is because I'm not a lol warp club it. I use a Crude Greatsword for blunt. I'm just looking for a viable source for piercing. Birdbanes are good for mnk tho ^^.

Thanks guys/gals.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-21 01:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Azulmagia said:
And Dasva, Birdbanes are actually very good.
No idea. H2h is way different then all other weapon types so I can't really properly tell whats good.

@OP. If its just a matter of dealinging non slashing dmg there is a blunt gswd which is decent. Also drk not bad with staff I think. If you really really need good peircing dmg or at least ws you could try /rng and Perdu Crossbow Darksteel Bolt Holy Bolt
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-11-21 01:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wondering, are you needing a piercing weapon for say Limbus: SE Apollyon?

Because outside of that instance I can't see why a DRK would especially need to use a piercing weapon.

The problem is that DRK has really very little to work with. Of the weapons classified as dealing piercing damage there are: 1) Dagger (C-level skill), 2) Polearm (No native skill period), 3) Archery (No native skill period) and 4) Marksmanship (E).

5) H2h offers an interesting choice for piercing damage with the Birdbanes, BUT DRK has no native h2h skill.

YET here's a loophole for ya... 6) Swords (B-) and amongst the the rapier and epee class weapons: Spark Bilbo, Bilbo, Small Sword, Tuck, Junior Musketeer's Tuck, Wise Wizard's Bilbo, Mailbreaker, Colichemarde and lastly the Tutelary.

Atleast with a sword you can do Vorpal Blade... but your DoT is gimp relative to your two A skill weapons AND all sword WS are slashing... so...
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-11-21 01:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Christ on a pogo stick, no. NQ Behemoth Knife is better than that thing.

A piercing sword (see above posts for specific options) is really your best option unless you have dagger merits, in which case Blau is the way to go. Assuming DRK gets a decent dagger WS, at any rate... Pretty sure they don't, so sword all the way I guess.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-21 01:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if those sword options ARE piercing, the ws's will still be slashing.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-21 01:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Christ on a pogo stick, no. NQ Behemoth Knife is better than that thing.
Are you trying to say 1 dmg and 6attack beat out +6% crit hit!?! Not to mention slightly lower delay.

Also slug shot will be the only decent peircing WS you can get.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-11-21 01:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still sooo sad DRK can't use Joyeuse. :( then I'd possibly be a zerg DRK...

I'd go out right now and buy a cassie earring and gigant mantle and get more than 4/8 hp merits. lol

And why do you need a piercing weapon anyway? Not much use for it, aside for what they said, limbus.

Grrr... now I want to get on my PLD.. :/ thanks
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-11-21 01:42:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
Even if those sword options ARE piercing, the ws's will still be slashing.
Damn, that's true. So it's a wash with dagger merits and may well favor Blau even without.

Dasva said:
Are you trying to say 1 dmg and 6attack beat out +6% crit hit!?! Not to mention slightly lower delay
8 Attack, (slightly) better DPS to begin with. Actually... ***, forgot you may not be dual wielding since it's DRK, which does make it the full 6%. It's about even with NQ if you're single-wielding and getting the full 1.0 pDIF boost (need to reference Masa's new caps but I'm on my way out). On the other hand, Behe is 5k and you don't have to burn time breaking it... there's always Jambiya for a clear winner amirite?
Quote:
Also slug shot will be the only decent peircing WS you can get.
E Skill Marksmanship gogogo!
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-21 01:45:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Too bad drk can't where this... Zareehkl Jambiya Mostly cause I find it really amusing (though very nice DPS when active) and it's dropped by a drk
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-11-21 01:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice dagger, pity about the latent... though I could make it work on BLM I guess. BLM/NIN Zareehkl/Blau in Campaign ftw?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-21 01:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Nice dagger, pity about the latent... though I could make it work on BLM I guess. BLM/NIN Zareehkl/Blau in Campaign ftw?
Latent isn't really that hard to activate unlike the scythe. The sad part is that although 36 dmg is a new weapon dmg tier it doesn't count since its a latent.
fenrir.Nightfyre said:
E Skill Marksmanship gogogo!
Even if you miss 95% of them you still might do more dmg then... um. shadowstitch? Either way while having only 200 skill is alot to make up for if you have the cps to waste there is this... Gld.Msk. Bolt And this helpsPerdu Crossbow. Excluding those 2 slots a drk/rng has access to a good +124 racc
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-11-21 02:03:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Latent isn't really that hard to activate unlike the scythe. The sad part is that although 36 dmg is a new weapon dmg tier it doesn't count since its a latent.
BLM and BRD can pull it off np since the better geared ones will generally have Sorcerer's/Minstrel's Ring and the gear to trigger them. The other jobs minus RDM and to a certain extent SCH are at the mercy of their healers to stay in the yellow unless they invest in a significant amount of HP down gear, due to cure-happy mages or splash overcuring from Curaga. It's not so much activating it as keeping it active that's potentially a problem.

And yeah, I was actually semi-serious when I said marksmanship go due to the presence of a non-***piercing WS. The problem is that if this is for Apollyon you're not eating sushi and you're definitely not /RNG, so your racc still won't be stellar. Still works ok though.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-21 02:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
And yeah, I was actually semi-serious when I said marksmanship go due to the presence of a non-***piercing WS. The problem is that if this is for Apollyon you're not eating sushi and you're definitely not /RNG, so your racc still won't be stellar. Still works ok though.
Yeah but idk if it's for apollyon. The OP never stated why but he did say he uses the blunt greatsword... so he wouldn't need a peircing weapon...