Brazen Bones, a guide to kill this bish
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-15 00:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Pld using atonement is totally worth the trade off for the tp they give the mob. I'm thinking rdm/nin tank and blu/nin, neither meleeing could probably do this, head butt spam and hysteric barrage/frenetic rip.

None of the new NM's so far, except the stupidly high ones like fomors seem to have 2 drops. They either have 1 r/e piece of gear, or 1 synth material, that's it. I'm pretty sure this NM drops just the necklace.
 Remora.Belius
Server: Remora
user: Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-11-15 00:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Korpg said:

Somebody post anything about killing this particular mob. Since its hard as hell for one thing, and another, there has to be SOMETHING else that drops from it thats OMGUBER or something to that nature.

I don't want to be the first to find that out :p

You totally do!

And earth crystals are totally pawrfull. They can make Hauberk+1. :o :p
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-15 00:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
Pld using atonement is totally worth the trade off for the tp they give the mob. I'm thinking rdm/nin tank and blu/nin, neither meleeing could probably do this, head butt spam and hysteric barrage/frenetic rip.

None of the new NM's so far, except the stupidly high ones like fomors seem to have 2 drops. They either have 1 r/e piece of gear, or 1 synth material, that's it. I'm pretty sure this NM drops just the necklace.
You are right. I have no clue as what its weakneses are, except that it might be fire (since its immune to ice) and blunt (since its a skelly).

Wiki doesn't tell us much because its still noob on the subject.

I should probably sic Ramuh on it and put out a Chaotic Strike before I pull it down just to see what damage it does to it. I'll do that tomorrow.
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-11-15 00:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Joytoy PLD <3
RDM CAN NOT KEEP SHADOWS FAST ENOUGH VS DOUBLE ATK. I do manage just fine on Ifrit cause he doesn't hit me for 200dmg.. Mmm.

Our SS is NOT that strong despite contrary opinion. it will break on the third attack leaving you wide open if it's hitting for 200 dmg. One interrupt, you're dead.

Also, RDM/NIN has no way to keep hate, unless you're spamming sleep, bind, blind which you will NOT have the time to do cause you SS and Ni are more important.

And you keep solo'ing as a SMN Kp! >:( You have to do this weekly, from now till the time you quit FFxi, drop or no drop!
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-15 00:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Korpg said:
You are right, but Avatars have about as much defense as a good tank (I mean a good PLD/WAR, some of these PLDs nowadays take more damage than what my Carby would take) and it was still hitting for 150 damage.

Double Attack is the kicker though. It would burn thru shadows towards the end, when it increases its double attack.

Maybe Shellra V, Barblizzard, and Barparalyze MIGHT make a difference. Then again, it might not. It was procing more times than normal, so I would have to assume that is more like a Paralyze II (maybe more just for this mob alone) than anything
Cmon plds don't gear for def anymore. And most of them are around what 300-400ish? I can get solo 680ish def while wearing -40 to 46 physical dmg depending on time of day. Still need some better gear and my phalanx is only 26 I think but that still does alot... oh yeah and I got some nature ice resist with that.

Shell wont change para proc. However shell IV does lower magic dmg by 21% even ignoring any MDB or -magic dmg that plus phalanx alone would take the spikes down to like 35ish and the enblizz to more like 21ish. Of course as a rdm if I did try it like that and I am almost tempted to since no tp moves I'd have native MDB... I'm pretty sure I can get the enblizz to 0 and the normal dmg very low until it raged. Solo.

After that ewww. But a real tank with support... actually debuffing the mob yeah be simplier. I mean if this thing used its tp attacks sure.

Also barapara will almost always help. I do it all the time. The hardest part is I usually don't have it up ahead of time so I end up getting para'd out of casting it alot lol. Hell I cast after fulmination by tyger pretty well.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-15 00:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Belius said:
Joytoy PLD <3 RDM CAN NOT KEEP SHADOWS FAST ENOUGH VS DOUBLE ATK. I do manage just fine on Ifrit cause he doesn't hit me for 200dmg.. Mmm. Our SS is NOT that strong despite contrary opinion. it will break on the third attack leaving you wide open if it's hitting for 200 dmg. One interrupt, you're dead. Also, RDM/NIN has no way to keep hate, unless you're spamming sleep, bind, blind which you will NOT have the time to do cause you SS and Ni are more important. And you keep solo'ing as a SMN Kp! >:( You have to do this weekly, from now till the time you quit FFxi, drop or no drop!
Clearly you've never seen a rdm/nin tank. And I could give a damn if it double attacks 100% of the time if I can slow it enough maybe even blind or para it and maybe get some stuns in there.
Odin.Blazza said:
It so totally depends on the mob and the size of your group. If you don't have the support to throw extra cures at your pld cause hes eatting tp moves vs not getting hit at all... yeah. Besides most the time I'd still rather have nin/drk. Go taking no dmg except on the occasionally tp moves... hmmm so what about blu/pld tank it should be weak to light so less likely to resist flash... constant flash ftw?
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-11-15 00:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

:P I'm not going to question how cool your RDM/NIN is but there is a pattern with these type of NMs and that they are highly RDM resistant.

By all means give it a shot.. We need more info. I know my RDM/NIN wouldn't last 5 mins against this guy.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-15 00:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Belius said:
:P I'm not going to question how cool your RDM/NIN is but there is a pattern with these type of NMs and that they are highly RDM resistant. By all means give it a shot.. We need more info. I know my RDM/NIN wouldn't last 5 mins against this guy.
Lol oh no I don't have a tank build for my rdm/nin... and even if I did yeah um -3emnity merits no thanks. Though really they are only resistant to kiting debuffs. Most of them are super easy to slow/para/blind.

If I was gunna try to solo this on rdm... without movement speed it would so be /blu. However I can garuntee that I will not do enough dmg solo before it starts raging which would be problematic to say the least.
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-11-15 00:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Remora.Belius said:
:P I'm not going to question how cool your RDM/NIN is but there is a pattern with these type of NMs and that they are highly RDM resistant. By all means give it a shot.. We need more info. I know my RDM/NIN wouldn't last 5 mins against this guy.
Lol oh no I don't have a tank build for my rdm/nin... and even if I did yeah um -3emnity merits no thanks. Though really they are only resistant to kiting debuffs. Most of them are super easy to slow/para/blind.

If I was gunna try to solo this on rdm... without movement speed it would so be /blu. However I can garuntee that I will not do enough dmg solo before it starts raging which would be problematic to say the least.
Is PLD/BLU any good at all? I never any of them.. ever.. Haha.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-11-15 00:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there any data on how well nukes do?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-15 00:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

pld/blu... not really. In the end for the really hard hitting stuff even 50% def doesn't do alot certainly not as much as just not getting hit alot more lol unless your pld is sitting at really low amounts of def. For weaker stuff it would matter phalanx from /rdm probably better or for long term sustainability /dnc. I mostly like it for rdm cause well my def is lower to start and I'm fighting stuff that it will do enough on. Getting dmg to zero is kinda fun lol
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-11-15 00:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

kso, I'mma topicban futchy just cuz~ :o

I hear RDM/BLU is the ***. :) Stoneskin + Phalanx + Cocoon = Duh nanana nanana--can't touch this! HAMMAH TIME!
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-15 01:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Anye said:
kso, I'mma topicban futchy just cuz~ :o I hear RDM/BLU is the ***. :) Stoneskin Phalanx Cocoon = Duh nanana nanana--can't touch this! HAMMAH TIME!
Do eet. Also yeah it's so good I had someone call me a f***ing hacker observe! Dasva's how to hack thread
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-11-15 02:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

\
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-11-15 03:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know how you can fight a NM for 3-6 hours.... thats some adrenaline rush lol Great guide btw, just hope someone finds another job combo that works, i'm not a fan of SMN ><
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-15 15:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I ain't giving up SE!
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-11-15 21:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

MOAR EARTH CRYSTALS YES
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-11-15 21:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

; ; Poor KP.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-15 21:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bout to try it myself.. gunna wait for night so I get an extra -6% dmg
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-11-15 21:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You trying BLU, SMN, or RDM?
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-11-15 21:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

All the best Das!
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-15 21:57:23
Link | Quote | Reply

rdm/blu. I don't have smn... and I'm afraid to kite without fast pants
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-11-15 22:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:

Could have sworn that you had SMN. Just going to kite/nuke?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-15 22:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
*** no. Straight up tank. I can't really kite without movement speeed... or grav/bind especially thru aggro infested areas
 Gilgamesh.Tousou
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Toufu
By Gilgamesh.Tousou 2009-11-15 22:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
*** no. Straight up tank. I can't really kite without movement speeed... or grav/bind especially thru aggro infested areas

Good luck Das.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-11-15 22:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
I read your Wlegs comment wrong 'cause I thought you had them.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-15 22:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ouchie... seems his attack speed even with slow his kinda decent. His hits did some random *** dmg too. Like 60 to 108 on the non crits... pulling it somewhere safe to fight is pretty easy and didn't outrun me at all. Think I might be able to pull off a silent pot next time and run thru the aggro to get somewhere kitable... not sure. I do need speed pants though... so coming back and trying on my rng when its 75 though lol. Oh yeah without really gearing for it I got the additional effect down to only 15-17 dmg. Obviously I died but wasn't so bad really. Really need some more -dmg stuff though
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-15 23:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah, forgot to post a time on this recent kill.

1 hour and 50 minutes, my Avatar's Favor didn't wear this time!
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-15 23:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ouchie... seems his attack speed even with slow his kinda decent. His hits did some random *** dmg too. Like 60 to 108 on the non crits... pulling it somewhere safe to fight is pretty easy and didn't outrun me at all. Think I might be able to pull off a silent pot next time and run thru the aggro to get somewhere kitable... not sure. I do need speed pants though... so coming back and trying on my rng when its 75 though lol. Oh yeah without really gearing for it I got the additional effect down to only 15-17 dmg. Obviously I died but wasn't so bad really. Really need some more -dmg stuff though
How far did you kill him before you died?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-15 23:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Korpg said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
How far did you kill him before you died?
Well I kinda forgot to cure myself lol. Um 14 hits. Well 16 if you count blink. Highest was a crit for 152. Probably should've tried engage some other mob so i could parry it meh. Swd and shield might have worked better. Would've lost -10% dmg but blocking and like 40 more def not sure. Slow landed easy. Forgot to test para blind or poison. Shock spikes did pretty much nothing. I expected to die really but wasn't so bad. Headbutt failed... but rdm has no staff skill so yeah