Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Blu Stock up tp
Blu Stock up tp
 Fairy.Rikhu
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Rikhu
By Fairy.Rikhu 2009-11-12 03:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sry if this already asked before, but is it good for Blu to stock up TP just for spamming Blu spell?

Like Disservement, Delivers a five-fold attack. Additional effect: Poison.
"Accuracy varies with TP." and many other blue magic varies with TP.

I usually meet blu who stock tp at party/nyzul isle/isnm. but i keep silence cause i know exactly what their excuse.
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-11-12 03:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure Blazza will come along later with a more in-depth answer, but the short answer I can give till then is that certain multi-hit damage spells get a dmg multiplier bonus when your TP is above certain levels. Offhand examples of this would be frenetic rip and hysteric barrage.

Really though a BLU mage is better served by having a good TP set allowing them to spam self skill chains. Not using chain affinity and holding TP solely to spam certain spells just gimps your overall damage. I suppose to each their own, but that's my dirty hash of an answer.

I trust others to follow will fill in the gaps more fully...
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-12 04:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia is actually the one who will answer this better :p

Long story short though, blu should never store tp for any spell other than cannonball or vertical cleave. In party situations I find it's best to hold onto your tp until Chain Affinity is up (or hold off using chain affinity until you have tp). The extra damage from the WS + SC will be much more than the bonus given by doing a 300tp CA spell without making a SC.

IMO blu should be /thf in parties from 60-74 at a bare minumum, and probably most, if not all the way from 30-60 too. On top of higher damage and hate control (post 60), red lotus blade > sickle slash/Death Scissors will make Gravitation which can be MB'd with MP drainkiss for excellent MP efficiency (means more damage and faster exp) or Digest if it's a non MP mob. Digest won't help your MP of course, but it's incredibly MP efficient as stand alone damage, especially when MB'd, and the HP return is just a bonus if you happen to be below 100%
 Fairy.Rikhu
By Fairy.Rikhu 2009-11-12 04:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Malekith said:
Not using chain affinity and hold TP to spam certain spells just gimps your overall damage.

yes, not doing any ws and hold tp make you looks like a weak blu. :(

but still, there is blu mage believes by holding tp, you can do better damage, because of the description on each spell ><
 Fairy.Azulmagia
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-11-12 05:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a very common mistake, and SE didn't do a very good job at explaining this one. The descriptions you find on each physical spell are the same you'll find on WS descriptions; i.e., they only apply when you use the spell AS a WS, consuming TP. Ergo they only apply when combined with Chain Affinity.

This is not to say "holding TP" is bad in every case. For spells that "Damage varies with TP," you'll notice a significant difference between 0% TP and, well, anything higher. A good example of this is Cannonball; when using SATA Cannonball (usually on popped mobs like sky gods), it's very common for the BLU to build up 300% TP prior to ensure maximum damage (thus, maximum hate boost). In Dynamis, I've toyed with using CA Vertical Cleave (alone, not with Expiacion) on BLU/SAM, and I'm pleased with the results.

Keep in mind that whenever you self-SC, your closing spell will only cast with 0% TP + whatever TP you got from the WS. Closers with "Damage varies by TP" (Frenetic Rip, Hysteric Barrage, Vertical Cleave, Cannonball) tend to be a little lacklustre, and Savage Blade + Disseverment (which has "Accuracy varies by TP" instead) tends to be the best.
[+]
 Fairy.Rikhu
By Fairy.Rikhu 2009-11-12 07:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

nice explanation azul, and your blubible looks neat too. have i met you before? :p

thanks for the info ^^