Favorite Party Setup?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Favorite Party Setup?
Favorite Party Setup?
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-06 18:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
SAM, SAM, DRK, COR, BRD, RDM

Is my perfered meriting (bird) set up.

Rolls/songs are March x2, Choas and Corsairs.

* Sams should be using polearms, and doing what SAMs do.
* The DRK is there for the free boost on chaos roll (will probably parse 3rd, but as long as they are well geared should make up for the lose of another SAM with the stupid amount of attack that you get just for having a RDK in the party)
* BRD, COR and RDM are self explanitory

I like this set up a bunch, but dnc w/ merited haste samba has always worked better for me than the dkr's dmg + chaos roll bonuses.
 Fairy.Maimed
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-06 18:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Vegetto just admit the best merit parties have me in it =P
 Ramuh.Zangada
Server: Ramuh
user: zangada
By Ramuh.Zangada 2009-11-06 18:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Ramuh.Zangada said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Ramuh.Zangada said:
Dose no one like the old school sc and mb ptys? Thats when i lvled blm i and i loved it, not the xp of current tp burns but it was fun. Tp burns r the same redundant crap and gets old fast.
Couldn't you say the same of SC and MB? You do the same thing each time. 1 person gets tp faster and has to hold it. Then they WS after each other and you wait for that and cast a spell. Rinse repeat. Same thing as repeating a ws every time you get 100.
Not really, different jobs require different sc and mb. You gotta work with what u have and whats the mobs weakness not just engage,swing,ws.
Yes but that's with diff pts. Once you're in the party, you're going to be repeating the same process until the party is over, no?

Theres more too it i just didnt want to make a new dicussion on it, typical set up was pld or nin,whm,blm,rdm or brd, 2 dd. It all requires timming and team work, a little more complicated, which keeps me intrested. If u screw up the timming the sc and mb r ruined.

Tp burns is engage and go all out, really not much to it. Just what i like, old school was alot more fun imo.
 Hades.Rictor
Server: Hades
user: Spoon
By Hades.Rictor 2009-11-06 18:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

To contribute to the SC/MB pt topic, without contributing to the quote train: I remember being sam and saving tp to 180% just so we could SC. The SC and MB damage were a great bonus, but more than anything it was just exciting to have a successful SC and see the animation ;) I still try to coordinate SCs and MBs in pt, but inevitably one or the other (DD or Mage) don't care enough to try it
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-11-06 19:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
I once had an amazing setup back in the day in Mount Zhayolm with me as PLD/WAR, a friend as BLM/WHM (Blindphleb, actually :D), RDM, WHM, MNK, and I think a SAM. It was amazing--The 2 DDs would do a Light skillchain, and Blind would Magic Burst (no one does those anymore!). RDM kept Refresh up, and WHM kept us hasted and shot a cure my way anytime I got Incinerated :) Pretty awesome.
What lv pt was this? Seems a bit high for mount Z. 70+ if a sam is doing light.

It must have been a 65+ party because it was in Mount Zhayolm, iirc... And before Level Sync. Not entirely sure if it was a SAM for the 2nd DD, actually, but I do remember a MNK doing Dragon Kick (because I was like "O_O DAT IS SO SEXY <3")

Valefor.Integral said:
sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam rdm

When I read this, I thought of this:
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 19:19:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Favourite party setup?

Anye, Alyria and Me in my mog house with a game of scrabble. Ooooh yeah!

Oh, wrong type of party? :(
[+]
 Bismarck.Dovlei
Server: Bismarck
user: Dovlei
By Bismarck.Dovlei 2009-11-06 19:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to go old school here... pre-Aht Urhgan >:O

Had a pt way back when in Bibiki bay ~lv 60

pld/war, drk/thf, sam/thf, whm/blm, rdm/whm, blm/rdm

Was just insanely fun to bust out SATA+Guillotine on the SAM's back then we would switch places & SAM would SATA+Gekko/Yukki on my back. PLD never lost hate, BLM would MB.. yes this is the days where BLMs actually did... and WHM & RDM kept us going..

all in all probably nowhere near the exp of newer camps but this was insanely fun :)
 Cerberus.Seijurohiko
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Seijurohiko 2009-11-06 19:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

For fun/merits, I like a party of a single RDM/NIN: :P

User submitted image
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-11-06 19:57:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
I once had an amazing setup back in the day in Mount Zhayolm with me as PLD/WAR, a friend as BLM/WHM (Blindphleb, actually :D), RDM, WHM, MNK, and I think a SAM. It was amazing--The 2 DDs would do a Light skillchain, and Blind would Magic Burst (no one does those anymore!). RDM kept Refresh up, and WHM kept us hasted and shot a cure my way anytime I got Incinerated :) Pretty awesome.
What lv pt was this? Seems a bit high for mount Z. 70 if a sam is doing light.

It must have been a 65 party because it was in Mount Zhayolm, iirc... And before Level Sync. Not entirely sure if it was a SAM for the 2nd DD, actually, but I do remember a MNK doing Dragon Kick (because I was like "O_O DAT IS SO SEXY <3")

Valefor.Integral said:
sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam sam rdm

When I read this, I thought of this:

That party was pretty awesome, to clear up the light skillchain thingy. It took 3 people to make the Skillchain. 2 people would make one, which I would magic burst with a quicker nuke. Then the 3rd person would make light, which I would magic burst also. Probably not the best exp/hr but it wasn't boring.
 Bismarck.Saleam
user: Saleam
By Bismarck.Saleam 2009-11-06 20:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahem.

DRG/WHM DRG/RED DRG/SAM DRG/SAM DRG/SAM DRG/SAM

Was only ever lucky enough to put one of these together maybe once a week. But I remember the 10 second fights at meripo bird camp lol.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-06 20:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Saleam said:
Ahem.

Was only ever lucky enough to put one of these together maybe once a week. But I remember the 10 second fights at meripo bird camp lol.

Why would you ever need that many /mages? You could full heal a pt w/ 1-2.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-11-06 20:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Enjoy your vacation? hahahahahahahaaa
 Quetzalcoatl.Sethidus
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sethidus
By Quetzalcoatl.Sethidus 2009-11-06 20:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
SAM, SAM, DRK, COR, BRD, RDM

Is my perfered meriting (bird) set up.

Rolls/songs are March x2, Choas and Corsairs.

* Sams should be using polearms, and doing what SAMs do.
* The DRK is there for the free boost on chaos roll (will probably parse 3rd, but as long as they are well geared should make up for the lose of another SAM with the stupid amount of attack that you get just for having a RDK in the party)
* BRD, COR and RDM are self explanitory

I like this set up a bunch, but dnc w/ merited haste samba has always worked better for me than the dkr's dmg chaos roll bonuses.

This. Replace the Samurais with 2 mnk/war if fighting Mamool Ja.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-06 20:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Enjoy your vacation? hahahahahahahaaa

What vacation? I've been here the entire time. Just under different names.
By BillyMays 2009-11-06 20:32:51
Link | Quote | Reply

For example,
 Bismarck.Saleam
By Bismarck.Saleam 2009-11-06 20:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Bismarck.Saleam said:
Ahem.

Why would you ever need that many /mages? You could full heal a pt w/ 1-2.

I always go with at least two for a few reasons. One needs to heal mp, one get's silenced, one dies, someone gets flurried with shadows down(edit, this would imply that there would be a job in the party that used shadows...? again, for the sake of argument) ect. Just to support one another really, and it gets a bit annoying being the only drg/mage.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-06 20:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, I misread that. Was still on my mindset from the last one who posted more than 2 /mages, lol. My bad. Though, I'm curious as to how one gets silenced
(A echo drops, B I can't imagine a group of drgs going anywhere but birds to merit so silence wouldn't even be an issue)
 Bismarck.Saleam
By Bismarck.Saleam 2009-11-06 21:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Yea, I misread that. Was still on my mindset from the last one who posted more than 2 /mages, lol. My bad. Though, I'm curious as to how one gets silenced
(A echo drops, B I can't imagine a group of drgs going anywhere but birds to merit so silence wouldn't even be an issue)

I was just using silence to make an argument. Technically... it could happen. And maybe I was a bad player, but it took some hard lessons to get me to buy that stack of echo drops.

But lets be honest. Does it matter how many /sams we sacrifice at a bird camp with six level 75 drgs standing around? We're still gonna be going "*********, when's the next pink toucan going to pop, we're gonna lose the 253 chain!!"
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-06 21:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Well personally if I were ever going to go do a drg pt, I'd rep at least one of them w/ a brd, but if you're running out of birds, do Wivre. Wivre are ftw.
 Bismarck.Saleam
By Bismarck.Saleam 2009-11-06 21:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

0.0 Why /brd?

I dunno about Wivre... It's hard to go from the squishy softness of the piercing vulnerable KFC delightful colibri to the potentially challenging and possibly finger movement provoking Wivre.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-11-06 21:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

w/ a brd = with a Bard, not a /Bard.
 Kujata.Kensagaku
Server: Kujata
user: Kensagaku
By Kujata.Kensagaku 2009-11-06 21:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's see... parties vary, though I've had a lot of fun with some slightly non-traditional ones.

A BLU-burn, for example. Whoever before said some BLUs don't know how to conserve their MP is right... sometimes they just tend to spam spells like crazy and then they're not as good. But with a good party of BLUs you can see some massive-quick kills, and MP can remain fairly constant. One BLU can set up a Gravitation (or Darkness, if you have one who can use Expiacion + Vertical Cleave) for all of the others to burst MP Drainkiss off of because hate will usually be on the one that made the SC. On birds? You'll usually see 140ish per MB, more if they switch in a Dark Staff, use Convergeance, etc. That plus Refresh from Sanction/Auto-Refresh/Refresh armor (If they have it and it doesn't hurt their setup), and you can keep going with minimal if any downtime.

Of course, toss a BRD or COR to replace one BLU and then it's just godly...

Another fun combination I had at my latest merit pt was DRG/SAM x2, NIN/WAR, DNC/NIN, BRD/NIN, RDM/WHM. DNC keeps Haste Samba (fully merited) up for everyone, RDM keeps haste up, BRD used Minuet IV/Victory March. With that? The four melee have like +30something Haste aside from their gear right there, and then the DRGs have Hasso... let's say things died fast. DNC was actually an amazing support healer, and I don't think I ever saw our RDM convert once. He kept his MP up with ease while giving us Phalanx II and Haste. It was godly. XD
 Bismarck.Saleam
By Bismarck.Saleam 2009-11-06 21:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
w/ a brd = with a Bard, not a /Bard.

Oh woops. Sorry.
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-11-06 21:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay so. Why is it that everyone bashes DNC when it seems to me that a lot of the "ultimate/favorite" combinations for parties include DNCs in it? (Of course assuming 5/5 Haste Samba merits.) Just wondering. :<
 Bismarck.Saleam
By Bismarck.Saleam 2009-11-06 21:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Kensagaku said:

Another fun combination I had at my latest merit pt was DRG/SAM x2, NIN/WAR, DNC/NIN, BRD/NIN, RDM/WHM. DNC keeps Haste Samba (fully merited) up for everyone, RDM keeps haste up, BRD used Minuet IV/Victory March. With that? The four melee have like 30something Haste aside from their gear right there, and then the DRGs have Hasso... let's say things died fast. DNC was actually an amazing support healer, and I don't think I ever saw our RDM convert once. He kept his MP up with ease while giving us Phalanx II and Haste. It was godly. XD

Next time you do that, ask a drg to switch to a lower delay weapon and spirit surge (Iron ram works good) its fun to see how fast we can hit with the provided haste + 2 hour haste xD But useless for anything but shits and giggles.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 21:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

5blm 1 rdm aga3 burning wamouras
[+]
 Bahamut.Rydiya
Server: Bahamut
user: Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-11-06 21:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Ninian said:
Okay so. Why is it that everyone bashes DNC when it seems to me that a lot of the "ultimate/favorite" combinations for parties include DNCs in it? (Of course assuming 5/5 Haste Samba merits.) Just wondering. :

I chalk it all up to Dancer being a newer job.. Not much else I can say for it.
 Odin.Ahligieri
Server: Odin
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-11-06 22:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Birds - SAM(me), Whatever 2 other good piercing DDs (not RNG), COR BRD RDM
Mamools - WAR MNK SAM COR BRD RDM

I'm a sucker for 2 step lights or darks :P
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-06 22:07:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Ninian said:
Okay so. Why is it that everyone bashes DNC when it seems to me that a lot of the "ultimate/favorite" combinations for parties include DNCs in it? (Of course assuming 5/5 Haste Samba merits.) Just wondering. :<

Because its mainly for the haste samba. I love my samba, but there are a lot of dncs who claim to be good DDs and it just isn't true. Of course, w/e damage they can add is a bonus, but the real reason you they are in my party is for the samba, but for their loldmg.
[+]
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-11-06 22:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Remora.Ninian said:

Because its mainly for the haste samba. I love my samba, but there are a lot of dncs who claim to be good DDs and it just isn't true. Of course, w/e damage they can add is a bonus, but the real reason you they are in my party is for the samba, but for their loldmg.

Yeah I know, it's for the 10% haste. That's like... really good. People are like LOLDNCDAMAGE... and don't even think about the haste or extra cures. I'm not going to claim to be a real DD, but I'll claim to be a real healer :x.
[+]