Lvling A Tank Job Or Soloing Help Make You A Better DD?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Lvling a Tank job or Soloing help make you a better DD?
Lvling a Tank job or Soloing help make you a better DD?
 Pandemonium.Treppe
Server: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-11-06 14:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it helps because ive seen a far to many DDs that have not lvled tank jobs or ever soloed and are just so affraid to take hate that they almost never come close to even walking the hate line much alone cross it.

I believe this also leads to DD with useful job abilities to prevent damage like Third eye, or /nin shadows not being used efficiently because not taking hate almost ever means never really using that job ablitly therfore when they are forced use the ability they take way too much damage because their low skill lvl at using the abilty from of lack of use, and then they continue to under DD great DD jobs because fear of death or low HP.

They never stop to think maybe its me, how can i learn deal with a few secs of hate without dying or coming close and not relying on an instant CureIV or CureV that far too often never comes.

Thats just my 2 cents on helping DD who obviosuly under damage deal while wearing close to or top DD gear.

Let go of your Fear ^_^. Take a Hit ^_^
 Cerberus.Geldric
Server: Cerberus
user: Geldricv2
By Cerberus.Geldric 2009-11-06 14:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool story.
 Fairy.Maimed
Server: Fairy
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-06 14:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Players who understand tanking, melee, and support generally are the more skilled players in this game because they can anticipate every aspect of a fight.

This is not to say if you have a Maat's cap that you're a skilled player. Most people who rush getting jobs to 75 don't really understand how to use those jobs to the best of their ability.

This may sound ghetto but I macro in my MDT gear on my SAM (same one I use on PLD) when I'm expecting to eat a -ga. Guess what, I would have never really thought much of it if I never really played a tank job before.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-11-06 14:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Maimed said:
This may sound ghetto but I macro in my MDT gear on my SAM (same one I use on PLD) when I'm expecting to eat a -ga. Guess what, I would have never really thought much of it if I never really played a tank job before.

My Point exactly kool man :)
 Pandemonium.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Pandemonium.Isiolia 2009-11-06 15:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Having been in the shoes of each role obviously can help, though it's not exactly necessary. It's more an issue of looking into, or paying attention to, other jobs/roles. Many players just aren't prone to doing that without playing the jobs themselves though.

Far as rushing to 75...yes and no. You don't always even have the tools to play the job as it's played in endgame until that point. Most decent players can pick up on a job in a fraction of the time the actual grind to 75 takes too.

I think it really comes down to the player than the process. There are still plenty of people who have several, varied jobs at 75 and little idea how to gear/play them well. Then you have folks who get an LS-mate's account, do some research, and perform well at a job they'd never touched.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-06 15:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait...DD's who never get close to the hate line???
I dont know about you but I see alot more DD's that open fights with ws and spam JA, then die and blame tank/healer then DD's afraid to do anything.(unless you count the guy fighting birds with dunes skill level and cant do damage or take hate)
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-11-06 15:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Isiolia said:
Then you have folks who get an LS-mate's account, do some research, and perform well at a job they'd never touched.

very True alot of players never research the job they play, (7 hit build 75 SAMs that pile on haste and acc) /em slaps face
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-11-06 16:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Having taken both SAM and PLD to 75 I can say it def helps broaden you're understanding of how hate works.

For instance, having lvled PLD b4 any of my DD jobs when I went to lvl SAM I knew fairly well how much dmg I could put out before i'd steal hate (depending on the skill of the pld in my pt). At the same time if i knew I was gonna steal hate with a ws i'd time it just before the tanks voke was up and make sure seigan/3rd eye was up.

IMO it takes time to be good at a job and you have to want to be good at the job too and reasearch it. It's one thing to use a JA/wear a piece of gear and another to know how and when its most appropiate as well as knowing how and when without having to think about it.

Only problem with lvling a tank job b4 a DD job, when you do a DD job you tend to think you can tank on that too sometimes >.> But then again most jobs have defensive JA's to help you out lol (super jump/3rd eye/shadows)
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-11-06 16:15:03
Link | Quote | Reply

leveling BRD gives you a great understanding of the limits of other jobs. Sitting on the side lines with little to do, which sometimes happens as BRD allows you to watch how different DD's interact with tanks and what they can or cannot do before they they take hate. Such as WAR's that are first voke for SATA, but then WS after SATA before their voke hate as gone down ect ect. Also leveling a support jobs allows you to be a better tank, as NIN as my other 75 after BRD, I knew the importance of buffs and proper support (tanking birds with no haste or elegy sucks hard), and when I was gunna get a spanking from even a restrained DD.
 Seraph.Helixx
Server: Seraph
user: Helixx
By Seraph.Helixx 2009-11-06 16:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't believe that having leveled a "tank" job makes you a better DD. To be a better DD you need to know what gear to bring, have food, know when to start/stop spamming damage moves. But most importantly, you PAY ATTENTION to what is goin on. Don't pay attention = die, cause others to die, move hate from tanks, etc.

Also, what most people ignore is that we have wiki and simmilar sites. Read about the mobs you will fight, so you know what to expect. Being informed will save you more times than being uninformed but still "good".

But mainly it comes down to the player. Some adapt faster, some slower.
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-06 16:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Went into salvage last night without either of our MNKs. I was complimented on my Sam/Nin tanking skills on the Bhaflau Remnants boss last night. We didn't bother with gears so Homing Missles did full damage with hate reset. It was still relatively smooth despite hate resets and low HP.

I agree with Ultrarichard on BRD. BRD provides excellent support and yet you can monitor things because you're not super busy. Everything from coordinating skillchains/magicbursts to issuing instructions because a strategy doesn't seem to work as effectively as anticipated.

I spent nearly a year going to HNM camps just watching other linkshells kill HNMs because it was fun fights to watch, plus the strategies involved fascinated me.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-06 16:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say yes it broadens your understanding, but really more than anything I think having to tank on NIN in exp and HNM overall it made me more gunshy and unwilling to take as many risks. I'm sure that probably paid off at times, but I still feel as if there are times I could've pushed the envelope and chose not to. It's probably equal parts personal arrogance and mistrust of tanks in general, though. I think for a lot there's the notion "if I'm not tanking who knows how this will go." Due to that the only remedy for me is to reeeeeally be able to trust my tanks and believe they know what they're doing.

There's always times you know you're doing something that's going to get your *** killed regardless of who's tanking, but that goes without saying.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-06 16:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I dd just fine w/o have lv'd nin or pld.
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-06 16:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Typically most endgame/hnm ls's use two people to co-tank. Hate is easier to cap when you can focus on stealing hate from your fellow co-tank and fights are much safer because the moment one tank is in any sort of trouble, the co-tank can take over. This assumes both tanks understand they need to keep their hate balanced.

Generally speaking, once you have a good relationship established with your co-tanks, the comfort level increases dramatically.

Unfortunately, the way your job is played in a traditional exp party doesn't reflect the way it's really played in endgame.
 Lakshmi.Andromida
Server: Lakshmi
user: Andromida
By Lakshmi.Andromida 2009-11-06 16:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I have leveled WHM, RDM, NIN, PLD, DNC, SAM, DRG in that order, I am an excelent mage, but I am not sure how I became so. While leveling them I also got to see how tanks worked (I started leveling PLD before NIN but got distracted) and later DDs. It did help being able to see how other jobs are played before that, but what I saw did not help as much as having a friend to give you guidence I find perticualarly useful. I haven't done so much soloing so I can't really comment on that.

The other thing I find particularly useful is to go out there and don't be scared of dieing. When you do die, make a mental not of why you died and avoid doing it again!
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-11-06 16:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Maimed said:
Unfortunately, the way your job is played in a traditional exp party doesn't reflect the way it's really played in endgame.

QFT Which is why most ppl have to go through dyna/sky b4 they get let into HNM/Sea shells lol And yeah co-tanking is a important technique to master in endgame that you won't pick up from exp situations.
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-06 16:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk what QFT is.
 Fenrir.Magicjunkie
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Magicjunkie 2009-11-06 16:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Andromida said:
The other thing I find particularly useful is to go out there and don't be scared of dieing. When you do die, make a mental not of why you died and avoid doing it again!

the prob wit that is you will @ sum point will get sumone who will sit and do nothing just because they died they take what you are saying(which makes 100% perfect sense) and just distort the idea. like say you get someone who opens every fight with a weaponskill and dies for it. most take that as a "i need to wait tell the pld/nin is about to voke again before i do that" but sum take it as man i better not doing anything @ all tell the mob is @ 5%
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-11-06 16:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Maimed said:
Idk what QFT is.

Quoted for truth
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-11-09 12:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celestinia said:
Fairy.Maimed said:
Idk what QFT is.
Quoted for truth

I thougtht it was "Quite *** True" >_<
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-11-09 12:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Treppe said:
Fairy.Maimed said:
Idk what QFT is.
Quoted for truth
I thougtht it was "Quite *** True" >_<

Either way works XD
 Phoenix.Lazuras
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2009-11-09 12:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Treppe said:
Fairy.Maimed said:
Idk what QFT is.
Quoted for truth

I thought it was "Quite *** True" >_<

You know, for the longest time I thought it was "Quit *** Talking". Man was that awkward.
 Carbuncle.Kyri
Server: Carbuncle
user: Kyri
By Carbuncle.Kyri 2009-11-09 12:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

When I was still new to FF i told my online boyfirend "GFY!"
I ment "good for you!" he got quiet and told me like 6 hrs later he thought i told him "Go *** yourself!"
 Titan.Bladex
Server: Titan
user: Laddie
By Titan.Bladex 2009-11-09 12:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Wait...DD's who never get close to the hate line??? I dont know about you but I see alot more DD's that open fights with ws and spam JA, then die and blame tank/healer then DD's afraid to do anything.(unless you count the guy fighting birds with dunes skill level and cant do damage or take hate)

I have seen alot of ppls getting lvl75 within 4 days with smn burn parties, of course those tank/DD never counter fighting high lvl mobs and of course they're lacking skills to keep hate or DD don't understand the hate line and keep spamming WS like the world will end tomorrow (ofcourse will end for them because they died from spamming ws...LMAO). I even become tank with brd/nin geared up as DD in campaign battle...come on, I'm brd and a PLD don't know how to keep hate from me...it's lame, isn't it ?
 Fairy.Spiriel
user: Spiriel
By Fairy.Spiriel 2009-11-09 12:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, I thought when I used to end up tanking in the middle of a zerg on DRG/WHM was bad. Seriously, PLD couldn't get hate off a BRD? Or PLD didn't WANT hate from the BRD?

Personally, I think leveling jobs from different categories can only help. By leveling WHM for a sub, I learned how hard it can be to keep from taking hate while curing the party, depending on the tank. And of course, being a DD, I knew better than to run away when the mob came at me. I took the hit, didn't even cure myself, and went back to work. I also was quick about removing debuffs from the party as well, because that's how I'd want my WHM to be.

Leveling different category jobs only helps you improve your main.