Massive Lag?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » Massive lag?
Massive lag?
By K123 2024-03-09 15:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
K123 said: »
-400 or more less online today
2493 online which was >3k a few years ago.

I know this might seem like a meaningful metric, but it's not. What matters more is how many of them are out of town, how many are using trusts, how the instances are structured, how large the groups in individual instances are (data increases exponentially), etc.

It's reasonably likely that more instanced content is going on now than a few years ago (ambu and omen have become easier, sortie has been added in, more people can tackle odyssey). We also don't know if the resources used to host instances are dedicated by server, or in server clusters, or shared entirely. We know SE has changed their topology.

Without direct information, I think it is difficult to say. Effecting certain characters more than others makes it more likely to be a software capability+prioritization issue, rather than a network capacity one, imo.
Fair points but still, this is definitely not just overload or it would be felt by all equally? What explains different chars having completely different lag when multiboxing?
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-03-09 16:27:31
Link | Quote | Reply

What explains different chars having completely different lag when multiboxing?

You periodically send an outgoing packet to the server(every 250/400ms), and the server responds with whatever data's occured since the last time that happened. Since every character is going to be sending their packets at different times, it is not likely they will balance such that 2400 chars = 6 packets/ms. Some of the intervals will have more density of packet responses to handle than others.

How they handle anything like that is very difficult to guess from outside, but there are plenty of models that would result in some characters feeling it worse than others despite being on the same computer.
By benjaman 2024-03-09 20:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

today sortie was normal lag. fwiw I live in california and only play one character
 Asura.Toralin
Server: Asura
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2024-03-10 06:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I had tyhe problem 2 days ago, same as OP. it was horrible on SCH, trying to get a Immanence skillchain off. Never have had it that bad.
By K123 2024-03-10 09:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Doing Omen now feels like doing Odyssey pre packet flow.
By K123 2024-03-10 10:06:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I think lost packets are causing gear not to swap too, RDM enhancing duration only swapping half pieces in now.
By Beau 2024-03-10 10:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I too have recently been getting more lag than usual; today it was MAGA addon and trading reive capes for augments
By Viertel 2024-03-10 11:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Any of you experiencing the lag have AT&T Fiber by chance?
By Godfry 2024-03-10 11:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Viertel said: »
Any of you experiencing the lag have AT&T Fiber by chance?

Are you implying it's the Chinese that's doing it?
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-10 11:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The lag will go away after tonight. The servers are due for their monthly reboot.
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-03-10 12:46:57
Link | Quote | Reply

IDK if it matters but ppl have had high latency in other games too. Hmmm.
By Felgarr 2024-03-10 14:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fair points but still, this is definitely not just overload or it would be felt by all equally? What explains different chars having completely different lag when multiboxing?

Very oversimplified explanation, but:

A very common design pattern is take the total set of all character data and break them up into groups, called shards. Imagine characters beginning with A-L on one server and characters M-Z on a second server. More activity from characters A-L can cause a performance degradation for that shard (database).

This extends further when characters are also broken up by zones and instances within those zones. Maybe the shards get smaller and grow in number, requiring more resources and so on...
 Phoenix.Gavroches
Server: Phoenix
user: gavroches
By Phoenix.Gavroches 2024-03-10 17:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe, but SE said they gonna touch those servers like a year ago, and personally I have noticed tons of weird stuff happening since fall for sure, it’s especially noticeable when you AoE farm, like I usually pull 1/3 of the omen (or dyna) zone at a time, and I have seen me dying (it does happen) then while dead my WS go off 2-3-5 sec later (lag ?!? Again) then mobs dying (yes that’s right), mob following me while dead (SE is Pos hacking?!?) mob getting hit but somehow no enmity (cleave the group and one just walk away casually with 2/3 of hp missing). A lot of talk also of cure/WS not going off obviously. There’s definitely something going on from their hands, and maybe it’s related to instances with lots of stuff going on (my case omen farm, but true in dyna farming as well, dyna-D and sortie). The chatter about “lag” is definitely there, discord or here
By benjaman 2024-03-10 18:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I have att fiber
By zeta 2024-03-11 06:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I had issues about a year ago with ATT fiber. If i connected to a VPN it cleared up.
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Timepassesbye 2024-03-11 08:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

we were experiencing that in oddy on sylph as well, It was friday the 8th. There was at least a 3-4 second lag in everything and it would spike up to around 10 seconds. Several people died having walked right into camps before mobs visually spawned. weapon skills and abilities took a good 3-4 seconds to show the visuals as well. It seems to have been repaired at this point, but it doesn't appear to have been an isolated incident.
[+]
By K123 2024-03-11 09:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

zeta said: »
I had issues about a year ago with ATT fiber. If i connected to a VPN it cleared up.
I'm in England on Now TV. I don't think this is ISP related. They *** something up.

Can anyone confirm it has gone away since the patch?
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-03-11 09:15:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't assume it's gone until the weekend tbh, player numbers won't be back up to where they were until then.