When To Use Souleater.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » When to use souleater.
When to use souleater.
 Bahamut.Dracondria
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-12-11 11:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It says in description that the silence duration is what varies with TP.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Tutone
Server: Midgardsormr
user: TuTone
By Midgardsormr.Tutone 2009-12-11 12:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dracondria said:
It says in description that the silence duration is what varies with TP.

and it does, but if you were soloing, or in a party, would you really be concerned with how long the silence was going to last, you going to try and chop that mob down as fast as possible.

Now if you were in Brenner, and facing another player(any caster), yeah stack that meditate, wait for that mages stoneskin to drop, and let that gullotine fly... and watch the mage run...
[+]
 Valefor.Welfare
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Welfare 2009-12-11 12:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm drk65 as you can see and as everyone's mentioned; being considerate of your healer can greatly increase your life-span lol

Personally, when I first get to camp, I let the PT cycle a few mobs so I can see the rate at which we kill. If it's slow, I'm gonna wait til the mob is as mentioned, in the lower percentage of his HP.
If the PT is fast, then I'm not gonna bother holding back too much.
People die. It's part of the game. If you're truly concerned about being considerate, then go that extra step and take a Reraise earring/gorget/hairpin.
Do your very best and if you should die and lose 1k exp, isn't that worth the increased exp you'll have been getting for your PT and yourself overall?

Just my opinion.

Happy killing ^^

Edit:
This is in response to the discussion about the duration of silence talked about just before this post...
Odds are you're going to have at least 1 sam in PT @ 65+ and they're gonna be spamming Gekko because very few sam have the sense to use any other WS and make what we all know is called a "skillchain" so the issue of "silence" becomes a moot point.
If the mob being silenced is an issue, then have a mage focus on that and your DDs focus on being DDs.
If the mage is busy/dead/stupid then I can see the logic behind using a WS for the purpose of enfeebling outside being solo.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-12-11 12:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Any SAM worth their salt will know how to SC with another DD, but, and please correct me if I'm wrong, when you get to Aht Urgan PT's, slow kills go out the window, and higher exp/hour comes in. Which means, Gekko > Yuki in terms of damage. In a party, I'm not looking for survivability, I'm looking to get rid of a Bird as fast as I can.

That being said, I was the SAM that spammed Tachi: Hobaku when we had NIN's tanking..

Then again, Penta > * on birds.

EDIT: On the subject of when to use souleater. Use souleater whenever you want, just don't expect the whm or rdm to cure you >_> When DRKs are using Souleater constantly in my PT's on whm, they dont get cured, or raised ^^
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Tutone
Server: Midgardsormr
user: TuTone
By Midgardsormr.Tutone 2009-12-11 14:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Nicely put Hitetsu.. Thats the right reponse, the healers sole responsibilty is keep the tank healed/haste, not heal damage dealers (of course you will pull hate and get healed but not if you are doing that)

As a Dark we dont expect silena or haste, that is why carry echos, and wear dusk gear until we get homan. So use the same logic, you surviving is on you.... so if you can pull it off by all means do it... I dont, I tend to do more damage alive. Just roll with all the advice folks have thrown out there, its seems to be all down the same line.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [68 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Rayik
Server: Cerberus
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2010-02-17 09:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I'll tell ya at least one occasion NOT to use it...

When you're in a party with 3 other DD's, a nin-tank, and one healer, fighting Colibris. Not earth-shakingly bad, but a serious pain to the party around you. I was healing for a pt with this setup and the drk kept using souleater+guillotine ><! Thankfully they were /thf and Trick Attacked to the nin, but that sudden spike in hp loss was killing my mp. I was having a hard enough time with the war/sam who kept using WS's like they were going out of style with no regard for Hate mitigation. It was like a race to see who could pull hate away from the nin-tank and die the fastest.

EDIT: In hindsight, the TA was probably helping keep the hate on the nin, but having to worry about healing the drk back up after refreshing/hasting more than half the party was a shot to my mp I was having a hard time with.

DISCLAIMER: I am by no meaning saying I am the greatest healer and drk sucked, I have a LOT to learn about managing my mp, but when there are no other support jobs in the pt, souleater+guillotine = d*ckmove.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-02-17 09:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Rayik said:
DISCLAIMER: I am by no meaning saying I am the greatest healer and drk sucked, I have a LOT to learn about managing my mp, but when there are no other support jobs in the pt, souleater guillotine = d*ckmove.
I disagree. If the mob is not resistant to dark magic, the drk can just drain the HP back. You really don't need to worry about healing said drk unless he pulls hate, but since he was tricking onto the nin, he should have been able to drain it all back. Whether or not the drk did is another story :P
 Cerberus.Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2010-02-17 10:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said:
Cerberus.Rayik said:
DISCLAIMER: I am by no meaning saying I am the greatest healer and drk sucked, I have a LOT to learn about managing my mp, but when there are no other support jobs in the pt, souleater guillotine = d*ckmove.
I disagree. If the mob is not resistant to dark magic, the drk can just drain the HP back. You really don't need to worry about healing said drk unless he pulls hate, but since he was tricking onto the nin, he should have been able to drain it all back. Whether or not the drk did is another story :P

Ordinarily, yeah. Drain and Drain II can do wonders. We were fighting Colibris, which are less than effective targets for Drain spells. I will now edit my original post to show this, my bad for not mentioning it.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-02-17 10:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Rayik said:
Asura.Dameshi said:
Cerberus.Rayik said:

Ordinarily, yeah. Drain and Drain II can do wonders. We were fighting Colibris, which are less than effective targets for Drain spells. I will now edit my original post to show this, my bad for not mentioning it.
Ah the dreaded colibri. Understandable then.
 Cerberus.Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2010-02-17 10:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup. Had it been any other area, and if those spells could land, I wouldn't have a problem with their use of Souleater. I'm a 75 drk myself, so I can definitely sympathize with not getting to use SE in parties. I don't like telling anyone else how to play, but sometimes there's just obvious times not to use it lol
By Whore 2010-02-17 11:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm a fan of using it to notch my hp down a little bit, and make room for Drain.
.... and to piss off mages when they complain i'm being an MPsponge.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [71 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-04-29 19:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said:
1. With blood weapon.

2. If you need to draw emnity from a PT member who is in danger.

3. As a buff for a finishing WS (preferably in emergencies, otherwise your sapping mage MP unnecessarily).

This. Because if you're not using it for any of the above, or not using it at all, you're doing it wrong.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-29 19:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Necro Bump Detected! [71 days between previous and next post]
[+]