Considering Coming Back.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Considering coming back.
Considering coming back.
 Asura.Rekcuf
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: ashcrow
By Asura.Rekcuf 2023-11-16 22:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dexprozius said: »
My static typically runs my BLU for our Sortie runs.

Is it TOP TIER best possible return on Gallimaufry? No, especially since it's not Mage strat.

Is it as good as bringing a heavy DD, maybe Warrior, instead? Yes/No, I'd argue some aspects of the run are made easier, while clear speeds on basement bosses might be slower... It might hurt us more on specifically F boss, but we do get to cleave the Flans quickly. The Tourbillion + Nat. Med diffusion steroids certainly close any gap a BLU would have vs another DD.

That being said, presuming your typical MELEE Sortie run is:
COR
BRD
RDM for buffs/debuffs supporting DD?
Healer(WHM)
Heavy DD (we use SAM, but most fill the role)
Additional DD

With Blu filling that Additional DD slot it's pretty negligable. We clear ABC, EG, all upstairs mini bosses, all Flans in E, E WKR's, Botulus/Naraka + Bitzer chests, Then end the run with F where we wipe ~20% of the time to Wind hand start. When you're netting a total of 40-46k Galli, versus somewhere closer to 50k, it adds up sure but its not really a deal breaker.

Ultimately as most have pointed out, you should play the job you enjoy 1st and foremost, and if you play that job at a high enough level you can do well enough that it wont matter. If you want to Min/Max everything to the utmost, then you can transition to other party compositions, try other more 'meta' jobs.

As a returning playing I'll reiterate what others have said, BLU certainly is a solid option for low manning / soloing content, as well as getting you enough RP (odyssey) or galli (empy upgrades) to start working with PUGs or statics in a more meaningful manner. Tizona is still the best weapon by far for the job, so theres no reason to shame them for wanting to work on it as their goal.

If they work their way up in upgrades they may even be utilized by some groups for some of the higher end Odyssey fights like Mboze, Ngai, Kalunga or even Bumba v25. If you'll take my anecdotal evidence, you can even get a respectable amount of Galli in melee comps if you put in the effort. When you're on such a miserably long grind it's more important to have fun and mix things up rather than mix/max it every day and burn out.

Ultimately, should they return to the game now? Arguably no... the games in quite a dead end state at this point, and if your not grinding end game content with a static you'll struggle. But if you're only in it to experience the things you've missed out on, do TVR, maybe grind some stuff Solo/low man that you couldn't 3 years ago, Go for it have fun and try to play with others to keep the community going.

In terms of server; Asura isnt as bad as people make it out to be, especially if you filter out the /yells, strictly due to player density and economy. That being said the aforementioned other populated servers are just fine and if that's how you'd prefer to play you won't miss out.

yes but u can barely find grps outside of NA time zone i gave up in general
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-16 22:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopalong said: »
I think the deciding factor on whether to play ffxi or not is the cost.

Base subscription plus 3 mules plus 4 wardrobes is for me is 19.99 or close. Anyways I can't justify more than that as a monthly subscription and I had to work real hard to bring it under $20. I'd love another wardrobe to make things easier and put the 5th job in but its just not worth it. For me, the nostalgia and mechanics of the game that are fun to me are worth $20 maximum I'd pay. The value however is really at the $11.99 monthly subscription range if that.
Yet at the same time, you cant ignore the subscription fee not changing throughout 20 years of inflation. Obviously were not getting the same bang for our buck compared to the 2000's, but that is going both ways.

Imagine if the sub fee went up to 21.65
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-16 22:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Then end the run with F where we wipe ~20% of the time to Wind hand start.

Are you guys just not able to kill it fast enough? With Asylum, we've found wind hand is amazing for us, because he's a total pussy compared to the chainstuns of thunder. We very, very much prefer wind hand.
[+]
 Asura.Dexprozius
By Asura.Dexprozius 2023-11-17 00:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

We run BRD COR RDM WHM SAM BLU
Soul Voice HM Mad Minuet x3 +Haste2. Our brd is a mule and doesn't have Aria
Chaos / Sam. I'm curious if Sam is necessary and MNK may be better?
I believe we have Auspice, boost-str, etc.
If it's wind hand we do pop asylum at the start to avoid steals

@time of Pull I Diffusion + Nat. Meditation regardless of hands, and Unbridled Tourbillion. If it's Thunder Hands and I have Wisdom (I usually use it at flans) I'll give myself more buffs just incase.

Only Me (BLU) and the SAM engage to avoid excessive TP feed and consistant skillchains. Mumei > Mumei (gravitation) > Expiacion (Darkness), repeat. Typically by time the 2nd mumei goes off with AM3 I have just over 2k tp, hitting ~50-60k expiacions. We technically could have the BRD tp as well for Rudras double darkness, but it seems like a net loss.

Typically when he's in wind hand he doesnt seem to Proc as often and gets the SDT, and/or one of us dies to counter hits towards the last 10%. On some occasions he dies without a hitch and others he just seems to go off on us.
I can only remember on One occasion where Thunder hand screwed us, he constantly stunned right before the Sam's 2nd WS preventing skillchains and proc's.

If you have any recommendations I'll take em to make the run more consistant. Maybe we can incorporate more WS's or change the skillchain to have the SAM close the darkness.

This is all after we initially had everyone rail on him at once and spam WS's. We found consistent darknesses proc'd more often and there was less risk of death when we switched to just SAM + BLU on it, but that was some time ago and perhaps we should go back to more players on it at once? If we take too long and he gets fetters up its certainly very hard to survive

EDIT: Thinking it over, could it be that we're proccing less often due to the 1st chain being Gravitation rather than Distortion? VS Wind hand that's less Ice damage
 Asura.Elizabetha
By Asura.Elizabetha 2023-11-17 06:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a linkshell I like, social, that does events, that I think is perfect for both new players and returners. The LS leader is a streamer as well, and everyone gets along and helps eachother out. I would say that they are mostly mid-game, doing some end game stuff (like dyna-divergence farms twice a week). It's one of the most welcoming linkshells on Asura I know of and I can give you a pearl if you come here. It's a perfect start.
By SimonSes 2023-11-17 07:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Only Me (BLU) and the SAM engage to avoid excessive TP feed and consistant skillchains. Mumei > Mumei (gravitation) > Expiacion (Darkness), repeat. Typically by time the 2nd mumei goes off with AM3 I have just over 2k tp, hitting ~50-60k expiacions. We technically could have the BRD tp as well for Rudras double darkness, but it seems like a net loss.

If you do this, you should have RDM chainspell Magic Burst. I was able to do 28-35k per nuke, so you can add pretty significant amount of damage with additional chances to proc too.
By Zyla 2023-11-17 08:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so, I did decide to reactivate my account, but then I got admitted to the hospital for an extended stay, just my luck lol.

While I did mention blu is my favorite job, and I'd likely spend a good deal of time on it, I neglected to mention I also have a geo with an Idris and a cor woth Fomal. Couldn't really say if they're geared enough for stuff, but a decent starting point I think. None of my remas are ranked up though, so maybe that'd be a good place to start as well. Thanks again for all the input and hopefully this hospital ordeal will get sorted quickly.
By Zyla 2023-11-17 08:38:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Elizabetha said: »
There's a linkshell I like, social, that does events, that I think is perfect for both new players and returners. The LS leader is a streamer as well, and everyone gets along and helps eachother out. I would say that they are mostly mid-game, doing some end game stuff (like dyna-divergence farms twice a week). It's one of the most welcoming linkshells on Asura I know of and I can give you a pearl if you come here. It's a perfect start.

That sounds great, once I get out of the hospital I'll hit you up, thanks.
By Godfry 2023-11-17 08:51:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Zyla said: »
Ok so, I did decide to reactivate my account, but then I got admitted to the hospital for an extended stay, just my luck lol.

While I did mention blu is my favorite job, and I'd likely spend a good deal of time on it, I neglected to mention I also have a geo with an Idris and a cor woth Fomal. Couldn't really say if they're geared enough for stuff, but a decent starting point I think. None of my remas are ranked up though, so maybe that'd be a good place to start as well. Thanks again for all the input and hopefully this hospital ordeal will get sorted quickly.

I'd work on your geo first. Geos are required in sortie so you will be getting lots of invites.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-17 09:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Stuff

I'm not sure if adding in BRD DPS would make up for the SC you provided, but I think adding COR, BRD, and RDM DPS would more than make up for it, and frankly you will sometimes end up with SCs even with more DPS on.

We have RDM, BRD, COR, and 2 DDs all slamming WS on him, and he dies extremely fast. With Asylum active, he won't be able to steal your buffs. After Asylum wears off, he will take a shitload of buffs and start hitting extremely hard.

Oh, and also your SAM and BLU standing around not WSing is slowing things down considerably too. The BLU has to sit there swinging for a long time with plenty of TP while waiting for those Mumeis to go off.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-11-17 11:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
The BLU has to sit there swinging for a long time with plenty of TP while waiting for those Mumeis to go off.

Blus don't gain TP that fast. Two WSs are nothing to a Sam. (half joking)
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-17 11:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

A BLU with capped haste, Sam roll, & DW will get TP like an absolute monster and SAM TP rate is totally irrelevant because the real delay here is the WS animation, delay for the SC, WS animation, delay for the SC, not the rate at which the SAM can be prepared to WS.

As with most endgame buffed scenarios, the issue isn't how much TP you get per hit but the Global lockout for animations and the natural delay involved with the SC.

I'd be very surprised if the BLU didn't have 3k TP by the time it came for him to WS. Meanwhile, your BRD COR and RDM are all standing around.

Seriously, I recommend spamming WS as fast as you can on all of these jobs, I guarantee it will do better damage than having 2 people SCing, and frankly I think the mob will be getting plenty of TP from a SAM & BLU beating on it, the "extra" from having the other melee won't matter much if at all. Might be a nice relief to have him waste 5 seconds of his extremely short life using a WS instead of pounding you with auto-attacks.
[+]
By Mattelot 2023-11-17 11:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

A BLU with capped haste, Sam roll, & DW will get TP like an absolute monster

Can confirm this. Especially so with AM3 from... *drum roll* ... Tizona!
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-17 12:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I checked the video from last night's Sortie run, we killed wind hand Gartell in 32 seconds with SAM WAR BRD COR RDM WHM. This is definitely not our fastest kill, I'm sure we've finished him with time left on Asylum before, which is a 30 second ability. I think we've killed him with about 10 seconds left on Asylum before? IDK, either way point is: spamming WS is insanely fast, *** SCs.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2023-11-17 17:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

SC wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't a Magic burst Wall.

Nerf that *** wall SE
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-17 17:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

They cant "BECAUSE MERRRCSSS"
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-17 17:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

DD's spamming 99999 WS at will: every 5 seconds: acceptable
Mages doing 99999 on MB every 10 seconds: unacceptable
[+]
 Asura.Dexprozius
By Asura.Dexprozius 2023-11-17 21:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

A BLU with capped haste, Sam roll, & DW will get TP like an absolute monster and SAM TP rate is totally irrelevant because the real delay here is the WS animation, delay for the SC, WS animation, delay for the SC, not the rate at which the SAM can be prepared to WS.

As with most endgame buffed scenarios, the issue isn't how much TP you get per hit but the Global lockout for animations and the natural delay involved with the SC.

I'd be very surprised if the BLU didn't have 3k TP by the time it came for him to WS. Meanwhile, your BRD COR and RDM are all standing around.

Seriously, I recommend spamming WS as fast as you can on all of these jobs, I guarantee it will do better damage than having 2 people SCing, and frankly I think the mob will be getting plenty of TP from a SAM & BLU beating on it, the "extra" from having the other melee won't matter much if at all. Might be a nice relief to have him waste 5 seconds of his extremely short life using a WS instead of pounding you with auto-attacks.

Not to derail this thread, but to follow-up:
We ran today, he was on wind hand, we delayed the Asylum until we started WSing him and had all 5 players just spam on it. On the one hand, a bunch of us dropped low at times due to him TPing much more often, but also he died before Asylum wore off.

I think we switched to only BLU and SAM on it awhile ago due to the damage getting out of hand, but it seems to be zerging it with all the gas is the better way to go and just have the healer keep up haha.
[+]
By Taint 2023-11-18 08:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to derail this thread, but to follow-up:
We ran today, he was on wind hand, we delayed the Asylum until we started WSing him and had all 5 players just spam on it. On the one hand, a bunch of us dropped low at times due to him TPing much more often, but also he died before Asylum wore off.

I think we switched to only BLU and SAM on it awhile ago due to the damage getting out of hand, but it seems to be zerging it with all the gas is the better way to go and just have the healer keep up haha.

Once you have the DPS, F becomes the fastest basement boss. It took us sometime to be comfortable just zerging him in 30-40 seconds.
[+]