Forum » FFXI » General » Hey
Hey
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-10-25 16:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
I'm sure someone's going to come along any second now and say their friend got banned for playing on a fully Vanilla client because they bought a wind crystal for too much gil or something

Lol.

I was mostly being dramatic, but I agree with what you posted.
[+]
By K123 2023-10-25 17:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
K123 said: »
I got a warning (not even temp ban) from SE for hurting someone's feelings. I don't know for sure who it was, but I emailed them back asking for more info and they refused to confirm what I had said that was offensive.

Screenshot of email please? I want to know what rule in the TOS SE referred to.
By K123 2023-10-25 17:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The ToS apparently is "Language that a reasonable person would find offensive"

Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-10-25 17:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Iocus said: »
How about instead of complaining that SE is *occasionally* actually enforcing the rules, you just follow the *** rules?

They aren't even occasionally enforcing the rules. People blatantly and flagrantly cheat these days and there are no consequences. STF is a word document and nothing more.

Apparently they banned 1000 of this guy's friends, so they must be doing something.

This guy has 1000 friends. Clearly false statement.

Making a word document that claims that they did stuff to imaginary people, plausibly true.

Asura.Eiryl said: »
3.2 or 3.3

I thought I posted the screen shot of the email from my last ban when I called Chibico a *** in game.

Everyone knows you can't curse in game. If they are JP and you say naughty words, you will literally get banned as soon as they submit that report. The report scans the IP, if they are JP then whoever they reported will be banned. Hyperbole, but also I think the first 3 bans I was aware of were before CoP for exactly that. Cursing at JP that were crowding our camp. So funny how fast it was.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-10-25 18:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Heghmoh said: »
I've been issued a total of 7 bans and 11 suspensions over the past handful of years. Likely for multiboxing. But, many of my characters that have been served suspensions aren't automated or botted outside of using fastfollow, windower, and gear swap. For example I manually sing songs and I manually roll COR rolls, but have lost multiple CORs and BRDs for following me around in content areas (omen/dynamis). Most recently my BRD who literally only leaves mog house to do omen and dynamis was suspended.

I honestly think it is less about what programs you use and more about how many people report you for using them. An individual broadcasting the stuff he is using is at as much risk of being suspended as someone's BRD or WHM multibox alt.

History has shown this to not be true. I have probably been one of the most hated XI players due to a plethora of reasons but that has come with countless reports and I have not gotten anything. It is almost 100% certain plugins that trigger automated systems, like fastfollow which is probably what caused your bans. They don't care about the game enough to enforce anything anymore, its all automated.
[+]
By Mattelot 2023-10-25 19:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Heghmoh said: »
I've been issued a total of 7 bans and 11 suspensions over the past handful of years. Likely for multiboxing. But, many of my characters that have been served suspensions aren't automated or botted outside of using fastfollow, windower, and gear swap. For example I manually sing songs and I manually roll COR rolls, but have lost multiple CORs and BRDs for following me around in content areas (omen/dynamis). Most recently my BRD who literally only leaves mog house to do omen and dynamis was suspended.

I honestly think it is less about what programs you use and more about how many people report you for using them. An individual broadcasting the stuff he is using is at as much risk of being suspended as someone's BRD or WHM multibox alt.

History has shown this to not be true. I have probably been one of the most hated XI players due to a plethora of reasons but that has come with countless reports and I have not gotten anything. It is almost 100% certain plugins that trigger automated systems, like fastfollow which is probably what caused your bans. They don't care about the game enough to enforce anything anymore, its all automated.

I don’t hate you. BLU for life!
[+]
By Rips 2023-10-26 00:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey.

Many still lurk. Many have quit.

It's always crazy to me that I was in high school, on a Saturday night, playing my shitty little whm on Cop 3-2 missions with randoms. Fast forward 20 years and many of us are still here.

Don't say we ain't loyal.
[+]
 Shiva.Cerderic
Server: Shiva
user: Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-10-26 13:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I also offer this as the time for everyone to speak up about how after people get a warning they'll stop breaking TOS. Would anyone like to talk about how warnings are good enough and temp suspensions should be used instead of bans? I feel like we should talk about this.
I used a speedhack tool a good number times, primarily inside BCNMs. I got jailed for zoning faster than possible. I played stupid and they chalked it up to lag. I deleted the program and never used it again.
By Banhammer 2023-10-26 18:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

K123 said: »
I got a warning (not even temp ban) from SE for hurting someone's feelings. I don't know for sure who it was, but I emailed them back asking for more info and they refused to confirm what I had said that was offensive.

My first ban was for cursing at a JP that went out of their way to kill the Rose Garden PH back in the day while I was camping it.
[+]
 Shiva.Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-10-26 20:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Banhammer said: »
My first ban was for cursing at a JP that went out of their way to kill the Rose Garden PH back in the day while I was camping it.
Very similar for me. Was a chinese botter camping an NM I wanted. They were particularly egregious and direct threats to be fair, but I honestly assumed they were afk and couldn't understand them anyway. The GM did confirm that the text was reviewed in the log, the player never reported me, and probably never even read it.
By Minaras84 2023-10-26 22:40:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Cerderic said: »
If I thought at any point throughout the last 2 decades that I could be banned for TParty, having the ability to alt tab out of the game, see how much HP a boss has, or equip WS gear without pressing 4 macros, I would have been long gone

You can already see your party's TP with in-game functions, you can alt-tab without crashing using SE's built-in windowed or borderless window mode, and you can equip WS gear with a single macro. The only one of these you can't do is see the mob's HP (as an exact %), you have to estimate that for mobs with HP-dependent TP moves, and can't see the HP of enemies with masked HP.

Ready to uninstall all your addons and plugins yet, or are there more "QOL" things you can't live without?

Oh wow.
I knew about the window mode already, but i didnt know you could see the tp without the add on.
Care to explain how to do so?
I guess it doesnt include pet tp hey?
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-10-26 23:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

/partyinfo showtp on

Shows your party's TP in the window, it goes blue when they have over 1k

Confirmed, you can see your pet's TP in the regular UI, and can also type <pettp> to see it in chat log, or paste it for your team.
By Mattelot 2023-10-27 06:23:21
Link | Quote | Reply

What's sad is that back in the day, if they did that to you, nothing would ever have been done about it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Balduran
Server: Bahamut
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2023-10-27 08:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Mattelot said: »

What's sad is that back in the day, if they did that to you, nothing would ever have been done about it.

Sorry but this isn't true, there is no solid evidence or proof of certain bias by the game masters towards a certain nationality or group of players. Although there is an evident difference when it comes to bias towards preferential game content, yes the Japanese were favored in that domain.

Give me an example of a Japanese player cursing out another player of foreign nationality and getting away with it then your statement becomes true.
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-10-27 08:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Mattelot 2023-10-27 08:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Balduran said: »

Sorry but this isn't true, there is no solid evidence or proof of certain bias by the game masters towards a certain nationality or group of players. Although there is an evident difference when it comes to bias towards preferential game content, yes the Japanese were favored in that domain.

Give me an example of a Japanese player cursing out another player of foreign nationality and getting away with it then your statement becomes true.

Can't tell if serious...
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-10-27 10:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ask anyone who played on Gilgamesh about the player named Beer.

Their bazaar comment up was "NA PLAYER = ************" up until they quit / SE merged Gilgamesh into Carbuncle. It was reported, many times.
[+]
By Mattelot 2023-10-27 11:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »

Ask anyone who played on Gilgamesh about the player named Beer.

Their bazaar comment up was "NA PLAYER = ************" up until they quit / SE merged Gilgamesh into Carbuncle. It was reported, many times.

There were a few on Leviathan that did that too. One of them was named Tiamet. It was just weird how the rules were different for each. I remember one guy, Slippy who got so sick of JP ONLY that he put "NA PT ONLY" and got jailed for it. He said the GM told him that it was rude and unnecessary. He posted a screenshot of it on KI.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-27 12:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing "weird" about it was we let them get away with the double standard blatant racism.

Very distinct differing rule sets for the jp and the foreign scum.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-10-27 12:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Right...a bunch of 16 year olds should've surely gotten together and...written a strongly worded letter?

Or everyone should have quit playing the game they are enjoying because they weren't allowed to curse at JP players, or they got sent to digital jail for a talking to, meanwhile JP players have mean things in their bazaars which hurt our feewings.

IDK, it seems like maybe not that big of a deal. You could argue that the EN/NA communities have largely been ignored with regards to feedback, GM responses, feedback, website updates, product availability, etc. but I'd say it's much more likely to be a cost/resources issue than racism.
 Shiva.Thorny
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-10-27 12:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Japan is pretty well known for racism/nationalism, but it's still a japanese company and you choose to play the game. I think it is more likely than not that there are double standards (even if it just boils down to japanese speaking GMs being more likely to want to stick it to NA players). But, it doesn't really matter, in my opinion. You should probably try not to piss off anyone, regardless of their country. Doubly so if you're cheating while doing it.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-10-27 12:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I could've worded my response better but like...what are players going to do? Report them to the UN? Ask them kindly to not be racist?

Basically the only option players had then or have now, is to not play; I don't think mean bazaar comments are a strong enough deterrent for most players to quit playing a game they enjoy.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-10-27 12:35:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean this all boils down to JPs were racist to non-JPs in a video game. If that's what you're complaining about from this shitty world then you have gotten off light.

I honestly think it's funny and almost charming that JP made games good enough that they were like: If you want to play, we get to treat you like ***without warning.

And we were like: OK

And I am still completely ok with it because they made a game that I like this much, instead of opioids.

I would rate this abusive relationship a solid 4 out of 5.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2023-10-27 12:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont tell JP players im American...

I say - Im a dirty Puerto Rican that is on welfare... Boom I earned a new friend

On a funny note... When I was buying my third rostam I attempted to buy it from some JP player who was stupid snotty.

I remember being like... Why are you being like this? and his responds was "Lanun Knife do you need it"

Not gonna lie... I laughed...
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-27 12:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is it wasn't(isn't) a big deal, We obviously put up with it.

Just that it is fact. It did(does) happen. It was(is) *** up. And trashy.
By Mattelot 2023-10-27 13:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Right...a bunch of 16 year olds should've surely gotten together and...written a strongly worded letter?

Or everyone should have quit playing the game they are enjoying because they weren't allowed to curse at JP players, or they got sent to digital jail for a talking to, meanwhile JP players have mean things in their bazaars which hurt our feewings.

IDK, it seems like maybe not that big of a deal. You could argue that the EN/NA communities have largely been ignored with regards to feedback, GM responses, feedback, website updates, product availability, etc. but I'd say it's much more likely to be a cost/resources issue than racism.

For some people, it was simply a "feelings" thing but for some, like myself back then... I worked a very late shift for a long while and my most optimal time that I got to play had more JP than NA players. Back in those very early days of FFXI where you may go for an hour or more before you find a party (server mileage may vary), "JP ONLY" just exacerbated the problem.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-10-27 13:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

For some people, it was simply a "feelings" thing but for some, like myself back then... I worked a very late shift for a long while and my most optimal time that I got to play had more JP than NA players. Back in those very early days of FFXI where you may go for an hour or more before you find a party (server mileage may vary), "JP ONLY" just exacerbated the problem.

Sure, but that's the community behavior and opinions, not the GMs. If you convinced the GMs that they should punish people for saying JP ONRY that won't suddenly make them want to invite non-Japanese people to their EXP parties.
By Mattelot 2023-10-27 13:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, but that's the community behavior and opinions, not the GMs. If you convinced the GMs that they should punish people for saying JP ONRY that won't suddenly make them want to invite non-Japanese people to their EXP parties.

I didn't say that was just a GM issue. That whole thing was 2 part. Their community doing it, the GMs letting it happen and if you did it, you were reprimanded.

I know it's an old wound that gets reopened every so many years and like others, I'm over it. It's still interesting to think about later on and how it's something I do not miss.
 Shiva.Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-10-27 16:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Anecdote: I recently met a GM (NA) through Twitch chat and the bias discussion came up. They said there was a bias against NA players from GMs, not due to racism or some company culture, but because the volume of stupid GM calls. He said NA calls made up like 99% of all the calls and of course most of them were petty garbage. Like most employees, you're going to resent whoever is making your job harder.
By Hopalong 2023-10-27 20:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Its always been true that some JP players realize their stereotype of being, not so racist, but arrogant perhaps. There's a ton of JP players that are/were awesome and I have super fond memories of JP + NA team up in xp parties and events where it was like we were synced up perfectly and each nationality was overperforming their jobs. Everything in autotranslate. Screw discord. JP could also have meant Taiwan etc. The players that can speak and write in JP and English are super lucky in this game.

Its such a shame that isn't accessible anymore (at least in my experience) because the game became so insular.

I think it was Saeval that said we need to hyper socialize the game again, and I thoroughly agree with that.