users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Returning player, not sure what to do
Returning player, not sure what to do
 Asura.Mavre
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Mavre 2023-08-13 23:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

So as I always seem to do, I have gotten the itch to play again. I stopped playing a couple months after Odyssea came out, so I missed most of that type of content and of course Sortie since then. I redownloaded (new PC, have to remake all macros, yuck) and make sure my old GS data was brought over, but I am trying to figure out how to really get back into the swing of things. I have DRK, WAR, MNK, THF, DRG, SAM, and COR all fairly well geared (minus Sortie stuff and upgrades to the Odyssea armor sets of course) and am trying to figue out which to focus most on to get back up to speed. I would also love to find a linkshell to join to do all of this content. The main reason I have taken extended breaks in the past is that I just haven't been able to find groups to run with. I moved to Asura a while back, so of course to clear stuff my only option was to pay for most things, which just isn't fun at all. I am very flexible on server transferring as I don't know anyone irl that plays so I have no attachments anywhere. If anyone has any advice/servers/linkshells that I could consider, that would be amazing.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-08-14 02:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

No need to dissuade people from returning, the game still fun. Looking at their post history it look like they quit a lot though and come back...
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-08-14 03:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Naturally I love DRK, but you will do more damage overall with WAR in Odyssey if you want to max your segment/gil potential.

I would keep updating Thief if you use it to get around and need TH to farm anything (you can solo Lilith for Malignance if you have not yet got the set)

COR is needed in most content, including Odyssey, Sortie, and Master levels, so you should update that and get a Savage Blade set, at least.

Lastly, I would consider gearing another type of job, like for example, a tank. RUN is easier to gear than PLD. You don't need to go all the way by getting Epeolatry and it is awesome in Sortie. Or a backline like BLM, that would make you more desirable for Sortie and give you a more diverse job selection for other content.

If all you can show up with is "I can DD on any of these jobs", then that seriously limits you. As someone who was reluctant for years to move away from damage dealing, I found a love for Scholar, Rune Fencer, and a love/hate relationship for Red Mage (I don't get to play it enough).

The hardest part of all this is staying motivated and being able to grind things solo for gil, because you will need a ton of it. You will also need a linkshell of folks who won't mind you coming along for the ride of playing catchup. Plan out what you need and can do in the short term, along with some long term plans, but don't get too ahead of yourself. You won't be getting a stage 5 Prime weapon anytime soon, but you can always strive to improve what you have.

My linkshell would take you on, but Cerberus is a small server, and we can't do things every single day. You'd have to accept that if you decided to make the jump. We'd never want you to pay for anything here. That goes for anyone who is lost. I've always been there for anyone who needs some guidance. Just shoot me a message and I'll do what I can. Cheers.
[+]
 Asura.Anybody
user: Sisqo
By Asura.Anybody 2023-08-14 03:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Mavre said: »
So as I always seem to do, I have gotten the itch to play again. I stopped playing a couple months after Odyssea came out, so I missed most of that type of content and of course Sortie since then. I redownloaded (new PC, have to remake all macros, yuck) and make sure my old GS data was brought over, but I am trying to figure out how to really get back into the swing of things. I have DRK, WAR, MNK, THF, DRG, SAM, and COR all fairly well geared (minus Sortie stuff and upgrades to the Odyssea armor sets of course) and am trying to figue out which to focus most on to get back up to speed. I would also love to find a linkshell to join to do all of this content. The main reason I have taken extended breaks in the past is that I just haven't been able to find groups to run with. I moved to Asura a while back, so of course to clear stuff my only option was to pay for most things, which just isn't fun at all. I am very flexible on server transferring as I don't know anyone irl that plays so I have no attachments anywhere. If anyone has any advice/servers/linkshells that I could consider, that would be amazing.

I am glad I am not the only one being in this rabbit hole.
By publix 2023-08-14 04:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

pick a few jobs that share common accessories and work on their empy+2 which is just entering sortie on each job (similar to dyna d) and just have fun while we have XI :)
By drakefs 2023-08-14 10:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

new PC, have to remake all macros, yuck

I know this will not help you now but after you have made all your macros, equipsets and dialed in the in client settings, make sure to save them to the server, so you at least have an out of date baseline (I rarely remember to save my macros to the server after updating them)for the "next" time you come back.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2023-08-14 10:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

oh wow Path of exile 2 is actually a real thing.
Thank god because Diablo 4 is absolute garbage.
By Blazed1979 2023-08-14 11:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I hire RMT to stand in as party/alliance members and don't pay them unless they do exactly what I tell them to do. I even have specific characters/personas I tell them to be. It works out well.

RMT#1: You are CHAD guy. Always nice, always save the day. never make mistakes. Always polite
RMT#2: You are whiney bitchy guy. always complaining. you sometimes ninja lot drops. I kick you
RMT#3: You manthra. pretend be girl. talk sexy talk and make uwu emote etc.
[+]
 Asura.Mavre
By Asura.Mavre 2023-08-14 15:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots of good stuff here, thanks everyone.

drakefs said: »
I know this will not help you now but after you have made all your macros, equipsets and dialed in the in client settings, make sure to save them to the server, so you at least have an out of date baseline (I rarely remember to save my macros to the server after updating them)for the "next" time you come back.

You are a life saver, I had totally forgotten this was a thing. I had saved them before, so this is taken care of!

Dubaiii said: »
Start with finishing TVR and other story missions. Also you could work on odyssey Vengence V0 to V20 and do daily Sheol C runs for segements, segment used to fight Odyssey Gaol Bosses(T1-T2-T3-T4), in parallel try to join/start sortie runs for your Empy Gear upgrades.

I had finished everything in TVR through chapter 8, so I will definitely be working on this. Odyssey I had gotten a couple of boss clears for the armor sets, but I definitely need to do segment farming and some of the lesser NM's for stuff like the ammo and the earring. And Sortie is definitely on my radar.

Draylo said: »
No need to dissuade people from returning, the game still fun. Looking at their post history it look like they quit a lot though and come back...

Cool to get a response from a legend first of all. And yeah, I have been bad about losing my attention span for the game multiple times, which is why I desperately want to find a good linkshell to run with. I miss the community of the level 75 cap days, and it definitely doesn't help that noone I know irl plays anymore.

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
My linkshell would take you on

I'm definitely gonna message you about this. I am not tied to Asura at all, it just has the most people so it felt like the easiest place to do stuff.
[+]