Forum » FFXI » General » Other games to play now that FFXI is dead
Other games to play now that FFXI is dead
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-08-03 02:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

FF Origin got infamous for the silly Meme, the story behind is actually sorta... cool? I mean it feels a bit like the sort of stuff Nomura would approve, if you like that, you're gonna like the huge plot twists behind that too.

Despite the fact that FFO is basically a soulslike, there's so many differences and so many things that are gonna make the game way more accessible than most soulslikes typically are, so there's many chances even people who despise soulslikes might like this.

Despite thinking it's a much better game than you'd imagine from the meme-hate it received, I personally found some things that I didn't overly like

1) Technical Side - the game isn't "ugly" but it doesn't exactly excel at that...

2) Level Design - the game, like NioH and unsurprisingly so since that's the base upon which FFO was built, has a "zones" level design. A plethora of separated zones with debateable level design that tries to copy Hidetaka Miyazaki's style with no big success. They're all "small" and separated zones. These zones are connected by a hub-like world map.
This plays in favour of having larger aestetical variety and promotes faster/short-sessions gameplay. But it lacks the feeling of "grandeur" you get in the original from software titles where the level design is fantastic. Here the level design is pretty meh, with a couple of exceptions here and there.

3) Random Equipment - just like in NioH games, FFO is packed full with interesting and very deep (someone could say too much?) systems to customize your character. Among these there's equipment. The problem is that you get a storm of equipment everywhere, with randomized stats. Think of Diablo to get an idea. In my opinion this system doesn't work too well with this type of game, I would've liked way less gear, less random, with more unique stats. But some people seem to like this approach, what can I say? To me it was just cumbersome having to delve through gazilions of gear, 99% of which was totally useless, and having to manage your inventory so often.
By Shichishito 2023-08-03 02:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok guys, i see quite a couple of questionable recommendations popping up. I'll let backlog entries slide for now but if you've spent money on SE games or merch after you've canceled your subscription I'm worried some of you don't quite grasp the concept of "voting with one's wallet".

Look, I don't wanna do this but I'm afraid I'll have to deduct a sizeable chunk of some of y'alls precious internet points!
[+]
 Fenrir.Aladeus
Server: Fenrir
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2023-08-03 03:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

i've still got a ton of games i bought like 5 years ago for my switch, and metric *** on steam that i'll probably never play. xD
[+]
By Afania 2023-08-03 05:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I got really into retro games recently, most of my recent games are Sega classic games such as sonic the hedgehog 1&2, Golden axe, Altered Beast, Shinobi, Beyond Oasis etc. Since they are mostly short and simple, it doesn't require tons of time investment nor brain cell to play.

I also played newer retro games like Castlevania Symphony of the night from 1997: Which I greatly recommend. Although it is not the best metroidvania game imo, it is one of the most immersive experience that I've ever experienced in a single player game.

What I love about this game is that it doesn't have any hand holding. Many newer metroidvania has QoL mechanics like boss doors to warn the the player so they don't accidentally run into bosses unprepared, which makes zero sense in terms of environment design. In SotN incoming boss encounters are hinted by change of music/atmosphere, which makes the the castle exploration feels more immersive.

The game also doesn't tell the player how an ability works, only vaguely hinted it. So figuring them out is half the game basically.

The castle has incredible details. I counted 3 different weather effects in outer wall. Some areas like confession room or telescope are interactable with secret scenes. The enemy and the characters have very high frame count. Some of the dark souls style traps are properly foreshadowed so getting hit by them doesn't feel totally unfair.

All these details and secrets adds nothing to "gameplay depth" but they add tons of immersion. I guess that is what makes some old games feel so unique. As modern games put "QoL design", "Streamlined experience" on a higher priority, some of the immersion in the game world are gone.

After SoTN I have plans to player even older classic CV games like Rondo of blood and Super Castlevania 4, just to see the difference between them.
[+]
By K123 2023-08-03 05:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah, I also played the Tactics Ogre remake (Reborn) on the Switch. I do not recommend it vs the PSP version.
 Quetzalcoatl.Jasmint
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: JasTx
By Quetzalcoatl.Jasmint 2023-08-03 07:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow that's interesting news o_o;; always something to read popping by these forums haha.

Seconding Castlevania: SotN as well, that's a great one. Others in the series I really love are Aria of Sorrow (GBA) and Lament of Innocence (PS2) - haven't played through the other PS2 one with Hector in it yet. Harmony of Dissonance (GBA) is also really fun with the unlimited dashing lol

On the topic of Metroidvanias, I highly recommend Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- on Steam. I haven't played through all of it but the gameplay is so good - love the mechanics and the music. There are some untranslated things though which is a bit strange but eh.
There's also the spiritual successor to Castlevania which is Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, but it's a bit too much for this potato laptop ahahaha :')

Also, Legend of Dragoon (PS1) if you haven't played it. :D
Lastly is Gujian 3 on Steam - Chinese ARPG? I really like it but there's an always online DRM that's super annoying. Also not really for potato laptops so play that in winter if you have one :'D lol
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-08-03 08:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Jasmint said: »
On the topic of Metroidvanias, I highly recommend Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- on Steam. I haven't played through all of it but the gameplay is so good - love the mechanics and the music. There are some untranslated things though which is a bit strange but eh.
There's also the spiritual successor to Castlevania which is Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, but it's a bit too much for this potato laptop ahahaha :')

While FFXI is definitely not dead, I found Afterimage to be amazing fun and jesus it's so beautiful. All the backdrops and graphics are hand drawn.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2023-08-03 09:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Gonna catch up on Tetra Master, the way Sundi intended us to do when FFXI is down.
[+]
By Afania 2023-08-03 13:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Jasmint said: »
On the topic of Metroidvanias, I highly recommend Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- on Steam. I haven't played through all of it but the gameplay is so good - love the mechanics and the music.

It's interesting that you brought this up because I kept thinking about it as I play SotN. Despite they look alike they are polar opposite in terms of the direction lol.

RoLW's mechanics is really refined and smart. But the exploration is less immersive to me because it feels like the environments are "video game levels" designed by game designers to enhance the gameplay and mechanics.

SoTN's environment feels more natural, like a world that exists on their own. It feels like the designers build the castle that way because that's how they envision Dracula's castle if it exists. On the other hand SoTN's gameplay mechanic is relatively simple and it's not really the main selling point using modern gamer's standard.

Both directions are good depending on the experience that one look for of course. I was just kinda sad that if RoLW is the direction of modern metroidvania then I'll probably never experience another metroidvania game that feels like SoTN again ;(
[+]
 Asura.Rekcuf
user: ashcrow
By Asura.Rekcuf 2023-08-03 14:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
I've actually been tackling some old games I never completed. Dragon Warrior VII, Final Fantasy IX, Breath of Fire III, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, and currently playing FFX-2 (story is ***but I love the gameplay). I started Legend of Legaia awhile ago, but just couldn't really get into it. Also need to revisit my Golden Sun: The Lost Age file that I got sidetracked from.

You sir are a legend i love Breath of fire 3 and DQ7
 Asura.Rekcuf
By Asura.Rekcuf 2023-08-03 14:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
Currently going through Witcher 3 on Death March difficulty.

Also gotten back into Battlefield 5.

Highly recommend Persona 5 Royal.
[li][/li]
Ruaumoko said: »
Currently going through Witcher 3 on Death March difficulty.

Also gotten back into Battlefield 5.

Highly recommend Persona 5 Royal.
Played Persona 5 for 20 minutes not my my type of RPG TOO MUCH WEEB
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2023-08-03 16:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rekcuf said: »
You sir are a legend i love Breath of fire 3 and DQ7

I had put off DW VII for nearly a decade. I had a 170 hour file I lost on my original PS3 when it fried, and just couldn't bring myself to play it again. BoF III I originally hated back in the day for some reason, the game just didn't click with me. I gave it another chance and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Emulation and save states is a must for me now with a kid, just makes things easier to pick up and play for a bit. Not sure why I didn't think of it sooner.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Langly
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Langly
By Quetzalcoatl.Langly 2023-08-03 16:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Did someone say Breath of Fire? :D
[+]
By Draylo 2023-08-03 20:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been wanting to speed run 5, but too many things to memorize for a single playthru lol. I just got some figures from IV, one of my favorites, I need to replay it sometime.
VIP
By Lili 2023-08-03 20:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
I'll probably never experience another metroidvania game that feels like SoTN again ;(

Bloodstained has a few issues, but it comes really close to what you describe here. Lacks a bit of depth in the last third of the game, is my only criticism, but I really enjoyed it.
[+]
By macsdf1 2023-08-03 20:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you finary quit nick?

But BG3 comes out today. I played a few days of Yet another zombie survivor, pretty fun
18th is poe league
then starfield after that.
then cyberpunk phantom liberty.
 Asura.Bluespoons
By Asura.Bluespoons 2023-08-03 20:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Destroying my kid in Mario Kart will always be a favorite. If you have kids, give it a try. Their tears beat almost any you can come across in XI.
[+]
By Hopalong 2023-08-03 21:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Dragon Warrior (1) might be my favorite game of all time. Metal slimes and experience shoes c'mon! It just got better from there.

Looking into Baldur's Gate 3. I'll probably wait till it goes on half price.

Zero interest in the new Diablo unfortunately.

Might be time to suddenly be (even more) productive at work or personal life!
 Asura.Rekcuf
By Asura.Rekcuf 2023-08-03 21:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

your average ffxi samurai
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
Server: Lakshmi
user: sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2023-08-03 22:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Raspberry pi in the kids game room....
Retro for years.

Fenrir.Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2023-08-03 23:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bluespoons said: »
Destroying my kid in Mario Kart will always be a favorite. If you have kids, give it a try. Their tears beat almost any you can come across in XI.

probably about a year ago now, I was farming clusters in sky, and I claimed this 1 fire elemental. I got some crocodile tears from some other guy saying I stole his elemental blah blah and totally went off on me. I'm just sitting there thinking there's no way he would make it in XI when claiming meant something.xD

as for commentary on games, I agree with Afania that SotN is incredible. I replay it every once in awhile. What he didn't say was that the soundtrack is absolutely incredible. I listen to it constantly.

Also, shout out to the person that said Legend of the Dragoon. Fantastic game.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2023-08-04 00:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Aladeus said: »
Legend of the Dragoon
We need a remake!

Funny how I came across LoD-related stuff 2 days, like a recent interview with Dart's voice actor, and the petition to remake it. I signed it, just out of love for the game.

LoD holds a special place in my heart, but sadly, its gameplay didn't age well. It's hard to recommend it to others. I mean, I convinced a friend to pick it up in 2020-2021 and he had fun with it because of the world and story, but be ended up just watching the final 10% on YouTube.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-08-04 01:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with Afania that SotN is incredible. I replay it every once in awhile. What he didn't say was that the soundtrack is absolutely incredible. I listen to it constantly.
Replay-ability is like near 100% for me. I can play it anytime. I would rant here, b/c it's in my top 3 all-time, but let's not forget the "keyser soyze" moment. it blew my mind. i said "no way" like 666 times.
[+]
By Sidiov 2023-08-04 02:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan said: »
I agree with Afania that SotN is incredible. I replay it every once in awhile. What he didn't say was that the soundtrack is absolutely incredible. I listen to it constantly.
Replay-ability is like near 100% for me. I can play it anytime. I would rant here, b/c it's in my top 3 all-time, but let's not forget the "keyser soyze" moment. it blew my mind. i said "no way" like 666 times.
I still ask my friends "what is a man?"
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-08-04 02:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sidiov said: »
Bahamut.Negan said: »
I still ask my friends "what is a man?"
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL /applause

I still say "perhaps the same could be said of all religions" randomly.
[+]
 Fenrir.Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2023-08-04 02:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

yup, the "what is a man" quote definitely flies around from time to time xD
[+]
 Fenrir.Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2023-08-04 02:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

also, yes an LoD remake would be totally gas. I would play the crap outta that.
[+]
 Bahamut.Shozokui
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2023-08-04 03:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

also, yes an LoD remake would be totally gas. I would play the crap outta that.

Recently replayed using Severed Chains (PC Port). Easily my favorite way to replay.

They've made huge progress on the HD upscale also. (same website)
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2023-08-04 04:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades, Nier: Automata, and No No Kuni 1 are the three games I have enjoyed enough recently to really recommend, not counting cheap Steam Platformers like Ori 1/2, Fez, Bastion, Transistor, Child of Light, Celeste, and Gris.

Interested in trying some of these others, but I have a baby now so maybe in a few years.

Right now it is a lot of SNES9X RPGs on my phone while feeding the kid.
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-08-04 04:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Hades, Nier: Automata, and No No Kuni 1 are the three games I have enjoyed enough recently to really recommend, not counting cheap Steam Platformers like Ori 1/2, Fez, Bastion, Transistor, Child of Light, Celeste, and Gris.

Interested in trying some of these others, but I have a baby now so maybe in a few years.

Right now it is a lot of SNES9X RPGs on my phone while feeding the kid.

What kind of phone do you have? Looking for something comfortable for SNES RPGs