New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Content creator video ideas thread
Content creator video ideas thread
First Page 2
By Shichishito 2023-07-24 16:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Most retail FFXI content creators, with a few exceptions, either moved on or switched their focus on promoting a certain private server. In case there still are content creators out there that want to make videos about retail FFXI but ran out of ideas due to lack of new content this thread is ment for brainstorming suitable ideas.

Imho tier lists always seemed to be a hot topic, in particular REMA or ambuscade weapon related tier lists, personly i haven't seen any for JSE SU5 weapons or JSE necks yet, but you can make tierlists or rankings for almost everything really.

• short term, relatively low effort one time videos maybe in a tierlist or ranking format:
    -go to foods for certain situations
    -what metas were the most fun
    -comparing endgame content
    -which jobs had the longest time in the sunlight over the past 20 years
    -which zones are most pleasing to look at or explore (maybe with screenshots of your favorite spots)
    -which zones have the best background music with examples
    -best EXP/CP/EP camps
    -party compositions consisting of only one of the 22 jobs (6x MNK for example) are the most fun or viable combination and why.
    -similar to the above but party compositions of only supports, tanks, healers, DD or pet jobs.
    -party compositions that work surprisingly well outside of the standard 3-4 support/healer/tank/DD
    -your biggest pet peeves in FFXI
    -mounts
    -most overpowered spells, abilities or 1hours.

• long term, higher effort video series that probably no one wants to make:
    -Trust spotlight where each video one or a couple of trusts, maybe less popular ones, get a closer look and not commonly or unknown behaviours or synergies with particular jobs and cheering effects are elaborated.

Please feel free to add your own ideas for retail FFXI that you'd watch!
[+]
By Draylo 2023-07-24 17:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Majority of FFXI videos get like sub 2k views. It isn't worth it if you want to make anything out of it, only if you enjoy doing it.
[+]
 Sylph.Thelona
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Thelona
By Sylph.Thelona 2023-07-24 18:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I just switched to this topic recently. 1 vanilla FFXI video over 3k views so far, but then again I take 2 weeks to a month per video. As Draylo said, only do it if you enjoy it. That said, it's fun as hell!
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-07-24 18:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Thelona said: »
over 3k views

How many of those are bots and mules?
[+]
By Shichishito 2023-07-24 18:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
It isn't worth it if you want to make anything out of it, only if you enjoy doing it.
While that's true, something about that punchline seems off.

This game never was a view magnet, i assume most people did videos for fun.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-07-24 19:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, I did videos for a long time until the views didn't seem worth it to me anymore. Then you get the usual group of haters that go around disliking every video, and now with that certain private server they come and comment ***about retail. Just didn't bother anymore and I feel bad for the creators that put a lot of effort into their videos and only get like 2k views... I've seen it a bunch of times now. That can't feel good, but I always appreciate seeing people do stuff for XI and give them likes/follow. Except for that certain server, I make sure to give them dislikes.

It would be interesting to see something with lockstyles or mog house setups. I have seen a few XIV creators doing channels around that and enjoy the idea. Sadly as our population kept getting lower, a lot of the people who did these kind of things moved onto popular games.
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Server: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-07-24 19:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Make a video about ixion attempts
By Shichishito 2023-07-24 19:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinxs said: »
Make a video about ixion attempts
start with crits from the front.
[+]
 Bahamut.Galakar
Server: Bahamut
user: Galakar
By Bahamut.Galakar 2023-07-25 00:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Just didn't bother anymore and I feel bad for the creators that put a lot of effort into their videos and only get like 2k views...

This depends on one goal. Those who make videos 'cause making them is fun will be content even with 30 likes, while does who want to see some sort of popularity, will complain about 3 thousand views.
By Draylo 2023-07-25 00:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really, the goal of making these kind of things is to share with the community and others. If barely anyone watches it, and you get a lot of annoying haters, it kinda kills motivation to continue. I've seen it happen many times because I follow a lot of people in the XI area of youtube. You are probably talking about a tiny section who enjoy submitting a video just for their own channel/future use. The rest who put in a lot of work in researching, editing, etc, probably get a little disappointed with barely any views.

I mean, you can see the results regardless. This guy had to make a thread for it and barely anyone does videos for the game. I guess not many are making them "cause its fun". I was just saying if anyone gets the idea to do this, just expect you will probably barely get views and many haters from that group. So just do it if you enjoy editing/creating for the game, and expect the view count.
[+]
By kasnuaku 2023-07-25 00:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks for list, nice to see it on paper. I have been just doing boring oddesy C segment farms and attempts at v25 oddy. guess i'll look into synergy with grouping videos . thanks OP again :D
By zixxer 2023-07-25 01:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure there were many players planning on putting up videos in the past but there are some purists that would try to report people for having something like equipviewer on their HUD. There would be more people doing content creating if it wasn't for that.
[+]
 Sylph.Thelona
By Sylph.Thelona 2023-07-25 03:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I considered streaming it multiple times, but getting reported is EXACTLY why I don't. At least with a video I'm able to only show what I intend to through edit.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-07-25 08:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't someone make a plugin for streaming?
Witness protection or something like that
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2023-07-25 10:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinxs said: »
Didn't someone make a plugin for streaming?
Witness protection or something like that
Yes, but it has some pretty big flaws. If someone is streaming then the harassing player can go find them in-game and can still get you got.
 Fenrir.Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-07-25 11:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but what if we swap everyone's names and character models
Just more deterrent, not perfect
By Shichishito 2023-07-25 11:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Personly i only heard of one streamer/video creator, that allegedly got a banned and afaik only 1 character out of his 6 box got hit.

There are still YT channels that still occasionally, some even regularly, upload without playing vanilla (including equipviewer) and i've never read they get much head wind for it, so i don't think that's what got people riled up.

Afaik the streamer had one of the larger FFXI audiences at the time while also running a pretty much fully automated 6 box mixed in with react, ja0 or cureplease which made him a effective lowcost target for SE to set a warning example, signaling they'd still care. IIRC he was basically the embodiment of FFXIAH memes like posting max numbers as averages, clickbaiting with solo when he was superbuffed, boasting about achievements when he really was playing the game on easy mode. I think it was a combination of those things that rubbed some people the wrong way.

I also think streaming is mostly for entertainment and the repetitive nature of FFXI endgame, the current one in particular, simply isn't very entertaining to watch. You'd need one heck of a personality to carry thru this monotony.
If you do for example sophisticated solos or other content with valuable infos it's much more convenient for the viewer if you're able to rewind, slow down or rewatch at a later point.

If you're afraid of a ban there is another plus point to tierlists, you don't need ingame footage, just some pictures you could probably pull from the internet.
 Asura.Gweivyth
Server: Asura
user: gweiv
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-07-25 12:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean if you're worried about getting banned for showing off various addons/plugins etc, just fire up a local private server on your own computer. They're really easy to set up (takes less than 10 minutes) and you can get all the footage you need without having to "cheat" on the live servers, thus not having to worry about getting banned.

Obviously this isn't going to work for streaming content, but if you're just looking to get B-Roll for your Youtube videos it works just fine.

Realistically though, even people who cover extremely relevant content that rotates (aka ambuscade monthly rotation) only get like 2k views at max. NextGames has been making those videos every month for as long as I can remember and I'd be shocked if he's even monetized. So yeah, unless you really love it, I personally wouldn't bother.

I had considered making more content for retail XI specifically but honestly I just don't know what the point would be. I think a lot of people who would consume that sort of content are already at the point where basic stuff like "how to" videos won't pull their attention because they've been playing the game so long that they've more or less figured everything out. So what sort of content can you really do at that point? Comedy skits? Mechanic reviews? I'm just not sure. Your original post isn't really the type of stuff I would think would draw the currently enfranchised players just based on that, and chances are that anything we can think of, Huntin4Games has already made like 5 videos about it.

People consume the private server content more often because, well, private servers have a lot of active players, and each server is different and has its own quirks, which leaves a lot of things to talk about.
By Shichishito 2023-07-25 14:13:41
Link | Quote | Reply

That private server has been accused of botting in order to make the server appear more lively in towns and fake player numbers. There also seem to be channels in some sort of promotion partnership with that server operator, if the bot accusations are true then view botting could be quite possible, too.
Outside of that partnership circle the view counts aren't impressive either.

I haven't seen all of huntin4games videos but enough to figure his niche is nostalgia + FFXI. I could be wrong but i believe if he did any videos on more recent content it's most likely more on a introduction level than a indepth one.

It's odd to argue "how to" content wouldn't fly with retail FFXI but would with the much older legacy content. As long as the content adds a new angle like a solo that hasn't been done befor, maybe on a higher difficulty, on a different job or with weaker gear there will be a audience. Although i doubt you'll draw in the masses, neither with retail nor with legacy FFXI i'm afraid.

On a side note, it feels super weird to talk around something that shall not be named when, even for those that don't know the matter, the answer is just a single search away.
By Draylo 2023-07-25 16:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody is getting banned for showing addons in youtube videos, nobody. They could barely give two shits about this game, for years now. You really think they have someone looking at youtube videos, matching the characters up with their login info and then suspending/banning them? Really, they can't be bothered to do some of the most basic things for the game but they will hunt someone down for something so trivial, I highly doubt it.

That case of that particular streamer is someone who was 6 boxing daily using every addon under the sun to practically automate play across them. Its not a surprise that something he was using flagged his character during a period they had their systems setup to detect it. Or something he doesn't want to say/admit.

The nostalgia dump videos are honestly the worst in my opinion. I had to stop following that one guy because literally every video was "'member leaping lizzy, hyuk"

I just don't get all the hype/drive behind nostalgia dumping over this game. The game is still playable and up to recently it had new content thru the years. I just think you don't see much traction behind most video ideas because a lot of players have moved on due to the age of the game and how badly SE has been treating it over the years. A very jaded playerbase that constantly quits and I doubt they care to look at videos of current XI after quitting. If SE maintained good content, expansions etc, like most other MMOs, you would see normal view counts across videos like we did during Abyssea/Adoulin eras.

I think what bothers me the most is when all these dummies trying to make it and get clout off Final Fantasy, they make retrospective videos or compilations and almost always leave XI out. They almost never leave XIV out though, I blame SE for all of it really.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-07-25 18:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

That case of that particular streamer is someone who was 6 boxing daily using every addon under the sun to practically automate play across them.

Sure, what's provable though. He got reported and the evidence shown was the use of third party tools on his videos.

If it were automated systems picking up his addons all the multi boxers on every server would be banned too and world wide server population would be instantly down by a third or so.
By Draylo 2023-07-25 18:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

What evidence shown? Is the same generic message for third party tools. Around that time multiple people were getting suspensions, I even posted in threads trying to figure out why. Just use logic, why the hell would SE care that much? The guy wasn't pulling in big numbers

The type of addons matter, not every multi box uses the same ones
By Shichishito 2023-07-25 19:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

new content idea: translate/narrate the JP shitstorm over on the official forum.
[+]
By zixxer 2023-07-26 14:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody is getting banned for showing addons in youtube videos, nobody.

Be that as it may, let's find out who wants to **** around and find out.

Most players has been playing this game whilst/during puberty now they possibly have kids. Whatever was going in their RL during that span while this game is involved at whatever point that is, the memories are tied.

Having their 20+ year character can affect those memories.

I don't think a youtube video of a person capping damage on qutrubs will outweigh that.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-07-26 16:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, the biggest issue with doing XI content imo is that there's a severe time disconnect between say, starting a quest and finishing it or starting an Ultimate Weapon and finishing it.

If you wanna record stuff like that and edit it together later, you probably forget to record some in between or there's just actually not a lot of footage.

As far as nostalgia dumping goes, it's a nostalgia dump because the majority of people who've played it, played it between 2003 and 2010, and that number has never gone up. Unfortunate, but true. People will click on a video about something they remember from that time a lot more readily than they'll click on something from like, mid-late Adoulin that hardly anyone knows about.

Having dipped my big toe into XI content "creation" with my LP and associated vids(one off NM vids, BCNM vids etc), what gets the most views?

The first 5 vids of the LP, and then after that, specific vids during Chains of Promathia, and then after that the NM one offs and BCNM one offs.
After that there's some anomalies that I assume were picked up by the algorithm.
By Draylo 2023-07-26 17:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

zixxer said: »

Most players has been playing this game whilst/during puberty now they possibly have kids. Whatever was going in their RL during that span while this game is involved at whatever point that is, the memories are tied.

I don't think a youtube video of a person capping damage on qutrubs will outweigh that.

I had been doing videos for a long time and as someone who was regularly reported and hated on by randoms, I never got hit for anything. All my vids had some kind of addons displayed. While most never reached very many views, I had some over 10k+ and some are at 50k+ and not once been suspended for it. I've not even heard of a single person outside of this case being suspended for something on youtube. I think you guys give them too much credit, this isn't XIV and they never cared about XI as much.
 Asura.Gweivyth
user: gweiv
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-07-28 09:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

zixxer said: »

I had been doing videos for a long time and as someone who was regularly reported and hated on by randoms, I never got hit for anything. All my vids had some kind of addons displayed. While most never reached very many views, I had some over 10k+ and some are at 50k+ and not once been suspended for it. I've not even heard of a single person outside of this case being suspended for something on youtube. I think you guys give them too much credit, this isn't XIV and they never cared about XI as much.
Oh yeah, nah you're definitely right about this. The fact that my account is still in tact after all these years is testament to the fact that they don't care about stuff outside of the game itself. (And arguably inside the game as well, whole different can of worms though.)

The nature of my post is more along the lines of "its easier to capture idle B-Roll footage on a local pserv than on retail" cause you can just straight up teleport yourself to wherever/whatever you want to capture footage of. Once you have the local server set up (only takes like 10 mins) it just ends up saving you a bunch of time.

I've been working on a project for a while now where I have been narrating the history of the game. Its about an hour of mostly just me talking with b-roll playing, because the gameplay for the most part just doesn't matter, so having that local server has saved me a TON of time making this video series. :)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [76 days between previous and next post]
By Spira 2023-10-12 04:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

not to bump a old thread or anything but i just saw this and i'd actually been thinking about doing these for a while.

-which zones are most pleasing to look at or explore (maybe with screenshots of your favorite spots)
-which zones have the best background music with examples

reason being i think FFXI's world and environmental design is fire and really want to showcase it to others.. but i havent really nailed down a format for the video. like.. as others have mentioned the audience for FFXI content is really quite small, so if you're doing listicles for FFXI stuff where people need to know what you're talking about its not have much of an outreach.. i think a video essay might fare better but i'm not sure yet.

meanwhile i've been doing ambience videos from across the FF series as a way to kinda build an audience around like FF world lovers lol. they're super easy to do (and there are others out there already) but i find that just the practice of finding a nice spot to record is helpful
[+]
By SimonSes 2023-10-12 07:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sea, Sky (outside) and Riverne are imo the most pleasing to look at. Music.. Bastok, Gustaberg (nostalgia) and ofc and The Sanctuary of Zi'Tah :)
 Sylph.Thelona
By Sylph.Thelona 2023-10-12 14:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It feels like a top x format. Something bite-sized that offers some quick insight into the vistas of 11.
First Page 2