Asura.Disclai
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Disclai
By Asura.Disclai 2023-06-29 17:19:06
Link | Quote | Reply

kuroki said: »
wonder if SE can be prodded into action

It was their inaction during the anniversary and announcement of maintenance mode that caused the subscriber plummeting. I'm sure they knew it would happen and don't particularly care.

It is what it is, people have to accept that this game is on the downturn and probably won't resurge significantly again barring something miraculous.
[+]
By smii 2023-07-26 16:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The only letdown bigger than the 20th anniversary is all the new content being time gated, tuned for maximum effort, and effectively being limited to six man statics.

Let's be honest here, if you don't have a 6 man static you can basically get ***. Sortie and Odyssey are too gated to help your casual friends, so helping a stranger is out of the question. What kind of community does this promote and how the hell are you supposed to have an alliance when you're forced to shun the 7th guy? FFS there's a goddamned alliance in the game's logo and we haven't seen new alliance content in 6 years.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-07-26 16:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

SE: "You cant have alliance content because it would be too easy and the reward is no longer justifiable"

Also SE: "We made sortie basement bosses exponentially more difficult if theres a stage 4 weapon present within the party with no extra reward"

But yeah, this has become the straw that broke the camel's back it seems. Its just more noticeable on Asura because of the higher population.
By Draylo 2023-07-26 17:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep I knew from that announcement and the leadership change that there would be a huge sub bleed. The abyssmal anniversary "event" started it, but surely that announcement of a maint mode had sealed the deal. Going to take some miracle to turn that around but who knows, the same scenario started to play out after ROV.

Sad timeline, I had to change my avatar for the occasion.
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-07-26 18:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought I would be playing FFXI forever. I spent much of my Highschool and College years on it.

The time gated 6-man Sortie / Ody, entering maintenance mode, and the terrible anniversary let-down I decided to take a break. Only after stepping away for 7 months have I realized how toxic my relationship with SE was. They kept promising great content, which never came. I feel like I was dealing with an abusive partner for years lol.

No, time for a break. Off to a more healthy relationship. Blizzard-Activism would never fail me in World of Warcraft.
[+]
By futalis 2023-07-26 19:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been on the fence since Ody v20+ was released. NM's that required absolute RNG luck with auras to beat...jobs that aren't even used in most content/viable and lack of job updates etc...

The game has been in maintenance mode for a while. The TVR story was silly and uncompelling for me. But then Sortie came out and was a cool fresh new thing/gimmick for about...a week (after they fixed the wait times). But ultimately it just proved to be another time sink like oddy that was uninteresting and didn't respect anyone's time.

My favorite end game content has been the alliance content. Because we could bring anyone who wanted to come along and then sell the rest of the slots if people wanted the service. W3 dynamis and RP dyna runs were fun not because they were easy roflstomps but because I could enjoy being with a larger group and it wasn't a stressful slog that wiping to Xevioso over and over and over was (MDEF down aura unluckiness shenanigans).

Anywho, I have good memories and really enjoyed my LS and the people I played with. That's good enough for me. I gave all my stuff to my LS and wished them well and hope they put it all to good use. This was my last month of playing after starting this journey back in 2004?05? Can't remember exactly when.

Futalis/Narnok ~ Asura
 Asura.Yottaxa
user: Yottaxa
By Asura.Yottaxa 2023-07-26 20:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Its kinda sad, SE is going out of their way to alienate players at every step of the way.

This time a year ago there was still around 100k active chars across all servers wasn't there?. I want to say even ~3 months ago it was still 80k, and now we are down to 70k.

Semi-joking but semi-serious but we almost need a trend line graph setup on the database page to watch the playerbase eroding away. :(
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Felgarr 2023-07-26 20:23:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yottaxa said: »
Its kinda sad, SE is going out of their way to alienate players at every step of the way.

This time a year ago there was still around 100k active chars across all servers wasn't there?. I want to say even ~3 months ago it was still 80k, and now we are down to 70k.

Semi-joking but semi-serious but we almost need a trend line graph setup on the database page to watch the playerbase eroding away. :(

Rooks! :O
By Felgarr 2023-07-26 20:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

kuroki said: »
numbers have been pretty consistent since that post a month ago, i think everyone left is either still having fun or too stubborn to quit (a bit of both for me)

This doesn't really add any substance to the state of the game, currently felt by the players. If you're a 7th-player, you're bored most of the time, waiting for 2-3 different sortie statics to ask you for fill in for an as absentee member for the day. ....and that's only for sortie.

Odyssey PUGs can become statics too if they're good enough, but there's little reason to stick together when everyone has different levels of progression.

I guess it does lend itself to the stubborn-ness part, but I wouldn't rush to say many people are having as much fun as they were with a healthier population.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-07-26 20:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Every year the number of players goes down. it goes up. it goes down.

If you got 5 minutes to input the data for a chart, there it is. 5/8/21-today

It's mostly organic decay, but it's steepened.

Relevant info for highes and lows
Friday, December 25, 2020, at 12:00 a.m. (PST) to Friday, January 15, 2021, at the same hour.
Friday, May 14, 2021, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Monday, May 31, at the same hour.
Friday, August 13, 2021, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at the same hour.
Friday, December 17, 2021, at 12:00 a.m. (PST) to Wednesday, January 5, 2022, at the same hour.
Friday, May 13, 2022, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Tuesday, May 31, at the same hour.
Friday, August 5, 2022, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Monday, August 22, 2022, at the same hour.
Friday, December 23, 2022, at 12:00 a.m. (PST) to Thursday, January 5, 2023, at the same hour.
Friday, May 12, 2023, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Monday, May 22, 2023, at the same hour.
[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2023-07-26 22:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Every year the number of players goes down. it goes up. it goes down.

If you got 5 minutes to input the data for a chart, there it is. 5/8/21-today

It's mostly organic decay, but it's steepened.

Relevant info for highes and lows
Friday, December 25, 2020, at 12:00 a.m. (PST) to Friday, January 15, 2021, at the same hour.
Friday, May 14, 2021, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Monday, May 31, at the same hour.
Friday, August 13, 2021, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at the same hour.
Friday, December 17, 2021, at 12:00 a.m. (PST) to Wednesday, January 5, 2022, at the same hour.
Friday, May 13, 2022, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Tuesday, May 31, at the same hour.
Friday, August 5, 2022, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Monday, August 22, 2022, at the same hour.
Friday, December 23, 2022, at 12:00 a.m. (PST) to Thursday, January 5, 2023, at the same hour.
Friday, May 12, 2023, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Monday, May 22, 2023, at the same hour.

It's not perfect (probably missing some labels with correlating events) but it's 4 AM.

[+]
By zixxer 2023-07-27 03:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So I've had a bunch of coffee and I'm wired with conspiracy theories.

What if, I mean, just hear me out...

SE wanted to kill the game without telling the players that they wanted to kill the game. They asked Matsui to do it but he didn't want to so they got Fujito to do it instead.

And instead of them being obvious with the "kill the game" with absolution they devised of a tactful way to make it so players leave on their own accord and Fujito is the fall-man (and he's really just a wc janitor).

You're all playing into their cards sheeple!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By SimonSes 2023-07-27 04:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

zixxer said: »
So I've had a bunch of coffee and I'm wired with conspiracy theories.

What if, I mean, just hear me out...

SE wanted to kill the game without telling the players that they wanted to kill the game. They asked Matsui to do it but he didn't want to so they got Fujito to do it instead.

And instead of them being obvious with the "kill the game" with absolution they devised of a tactful way to make it so players leave on their own accord and Fujito is the fall-man (and he's really just a wc janitor).

You're all playing into their cards sheeple!

I have seen this theory popping on this forum (maybe even on JP forum too?) so much, that I would call it mainstream not conspiracy.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By SimonSes 2023-07-27 04:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

KujahFoxfire said: »
Wouldn't the majority of sorties design and mechanics have been agreed internally at SE long before Matsui moved on? I'd say he's alot more responsible than people are thinking. With the initial Galli cap being 100k showing us they knew the prime weapons were gonna need millions and didn't want people stockpiling etc, I think alot of this was agreed long ago.

Yeah I think the same. This was prepared year before Matsui left.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-07-27 07:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

zixxer said: »

Why would they do it this way?

If they wanted to shut the servers down and kill the game, they would do what every other MMO that's shut down has done: post an announcement of the shutdown date, then shut the game down. They already have every reason: declining population, age, support costs, hardware availability, staffing.

Unless there is someone higher on the food chain who refuses to shut down unless it drops to x subscribers, there is no reason to do it this way. Even in that case, architecting Sortie and Primes the way they are solely for this purpose is way too much work, they could have killed it much easier with much more minor changes. Remember how many people rage quit after the RNG and Polearm nerfs? Just nerf some jobs to kill certain strats, that'll kill it with way less effort. You don't need to devise a content system solely to demotivate players, there are a lot of other ways using existing content to do that.

I don't think there is some grand conspiracy here, if the game is to be shut down then they would shut it down, this is way too much work solely to push it that direction. IMO the reality is that this decision was made years ago while VR was being planned (likely even implemented and tested while Matsui was still around) and they felt it was the best direction for the game. Keeping in mind that what is best for the game as a whole isn't necessarily best for the players here.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-07-27 08:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

^
They are just doing a bad job of implementing a mediocre plan.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-07-27 08:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fine- its just bad execution....from a company that can probably be considered one of the top three most successful gaming companies in the history of the industry. After you're good this long, I find it quite reasonable to view such a level of failure as purposeful. They're aware of what it would take to keep this particular product successful, and to not do so with such a track record of success is a choice, not a mistake.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-07-27 08:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes a choice to see how much money they can save by neglecting it. Until they chase off the RMT, they are still making consistent money.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-07-27 09:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, it's semantics.

Caring so little to plan and execute may not be literal sabotage, but damn if isn't just as bad.
[+]
 Bahamut.Suph
Server: Bahamut
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2023-07-27 09:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-07-27 10:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

He doesnt play lol, he's literal RMT who gives SE like 2 grand every month.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-07-27 11:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I dun been quit. Just innit for the money. You should know this.

Here is more entertaining than XI, to answer your follow up question.
(It's more complex than that but we're not doing a debate on morals ethics and logic)
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-07-27 12:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
I mean, it's semantics.

Caring so little to plan and execute may not be literal sabotage, but damn if isn't just as bad.

Oh no it's worse. You're dealing with Devs that you have to treat like children because that's their capacity.

We're all collectively angry/disappointed because we legit like this game BUT we know it could be doing much better with competent staff. Further there is nothing we can do to get them to actually spend money on this game and give a damn. So you're left with the options of enjoying FFXI as it is, not, or being delusional with your expectations.

As easy as it is to say, just quit, there isn't competition for FFXI. Current era games are generally garbage with occasional games that will win GotY awards and make everything else look even that much worse. Very few have anything that looks like old school MMOs.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4