Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » Extreme Lag R3500 @ ody C
Extreme Lag R3500 @ ody C
 Asura.Sakutaru
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Sakuraba
By Asura.Sakutaru 2023-06-27 04:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Last few months I experienced very high lag in Ody C; normally it goes like R2500 which make me unable to perform as DD.

Last 3 days the spike is up to R3500 which everyone standing still and then teleport away after 15 sec, take 25 minutes for the game to load LS-chat and my item in Case, Sack. The lag is espcially bad at Halo 4th floor as WHM and tank brd often cant cure, AoE hate etc; and the run often failed here.

I checked with friends and other members and everyone experience certain level of lag.

So my question: is this happend to everyone? is this a global problem? SE unplugging server which create this unplayable situation to kill off the rest of the already tiny player pool, so that they can close server ?

Is there anyway to improve the situation? can we do something to report to SE about it ?

PS: all other area is fine, so it is definately not coming from my user end connection problem.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-06-27 05:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Have had this happen to me also. Only fix was to shutdown XI and reconnect client.

Odd thing is had two characters in same run, only happened to one.
By RadialArcana 2023-06-27 09:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Try without windower, so no addons to remove those from the equation.

It could be a connection problem if it's recent.

Also a potential problem is that a year or so ago they replaced all the servers with new ones and now use a virtualization system, it's possible that the load on that specific area in particular is greater than expected so it could be a bug you can report.

57 mins and on (interesting video, since it shows they recently replaced all the servers with new ones and added new systems, so the game isn't going anywhere for a long while)

YouTube Video Placeholder

I'm not all that knowledgeable on servers but it basically looks like they used to run one server on each computer (and because the server software is 32 bit it wasn't even using the full capacity of that computer) and now they run virtual operating systems x4 on each computer and so run 4x servers on each computer which makes running costs much less.

I dunno how they do it exactly but it appears as if they could have one machine purely for ambuscade for example or one server for specific areas of Ody across specific servers.

If it's not an addon and long running so not some connection / ddos issue, report it and they could spread the load better.

There is also an addon you can try called packetflow on the windower launcher, which boosts how packets are sent and could fix the problem.

They talk about congestion at 1:10mins specifically too.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-06-27 09:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

This has been going on for at least a year for me, if not longer, the lag in there is unbearable at times. Mobs jumping across the map, jas/spells not going off, casting animations not going off, etc. There are times I have to use the same macro 3-5 times just to get a JA to go off. I have no issues in Gaol though.

It's not a new issue, but it's progressively gotten worse. I'm usually fine until my receive rate goes above 2800 (or closer to 5k with packetflow), then stuff starts getting dropped. Even people using packetflow are having issues at times. I've had problems in Sortie lately too, mainly in the basement with spells not casting, but that's less frequent.

The second floor in Sheol C seems to be the worst for me, I'm assuming because you have 3 groups of mobs right on top of each other and they are all rendering/sending actions at the same time, the other floors are more split up. If I understand it correctly, it's a server problem where the server only maintains a queue of a certain size, if it fills too quickly before flushing it to the client then it drops data from the queue, so some stuff never sent, but I'm not sure why this would cause a problem with the client triggering/sending JAs/spells/etc. I don't think there is much you can do other than use packetflow, but even then it's not 100% solved.
[+]
By Beau 2023-06-27 13:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

look up the packetflow plugin, it will solve most of the lag not only in Ody C but also Dyna Deez
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-06-27 14:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
I don't think there is much you can do other than use packetflow, but even then it's not 100% solved.

You can stop using excessive gearswaps and party with other people who are also not using excessive gearswaps, but nobody here is going to even consider that.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-06-27 14:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I had this once about a month ago and it only got better by the end of floor 2. Don't use gearswap or any packet plugins. It made doing anything impossible. Nobody else in the party had the issue. This was around the time that SE said they had done serious maintenance on the servers. Luckily I've not seen it since then.
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-06-27 15:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Asura.Iamaman said: »
I don't think there is much you can do other than use packetflow, but even then it's not 100% solved.

You can stop using excessive gearswaps and party with other people who are also not using excessive gearswaps, but nobody here is going to even consider that.

How would you define excessive?

I only use gearswap luas that I wrote and they really are fairly basic: swap in some pieces during JAs, SIRD for midcast, enmity for a few spells/JAs. I don't think anyone I go with regularly is using anything that would really be doing much more than that either.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-06-27 15:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

multiple 10+ slot swaps on both pre/midcast is a good way to bog down your queue, especially if you hit the macro multiple times.. there's not really a finite answer to how many is too many but it's the largest component of the size of the packet queue that you can control while still playing

i'm still operating on the assumption it's just the packet queue though, the symptoms of this thread sound like a possible secondary issue where something spawns endless packets into the queue
[+]
By DaneBlood 2023-06-27 19:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

multiple 10+ slot swaps on both pre/midcast is a good way to bog down your queue, especially if you hit the macro multiple times.. there's not really a finite answer to how many is too many but it's the largest component of the size of the packet queue that you can control while still playing

i'm still operating on the assumption it's just the packet queue though, the symptoms of this thread sound like a possible secondary issue where something spawns endless packets into the queue

Curiosity
when you say "multiple 10+ slot swaps on both pre/midcast" are you saying 10+s swaps on pre shot. and then another 10+ on midcast counts as multiple

multiple 10+ under each cast stage?

Does combined sets count for multiple 10+ or or just for the final results ( i assume the later) in regards to the outgoing packet
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-06-27 19:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

And lower my DPS by 0.01%???? I think not!
By drakefs 2023-06-27 19:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

DaneBlood said: »

Does combined sets count for multiple 10+ or or just for the final results ( i assume the later) in regards to the outgoing packet

AFAIK, gearswap does not swap any gear until the logic is done. Then it sends the final set, built from said logic, to the server.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-06-28 06:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Since there isn't a precise number where it becomes an issue, I was just giving a common example of excessive use. Combine shouldn't cause any extra packets. Doing 9 swaps on preshot and midcast might still cause you issues. Doing 11 might not. I was only pointing out that when you have a huge swap, such as is frequently done in pre/mid cast/shot, you are forcing the server to send a bunch more data to you. If you hit the macro multiple times, that has to be sent for each time you hit it. This is the largest source of extra data within your control.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-06-28 06:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

In the instance where I had this, lag persisted with zero gearswap use - disabled, and with packetflow enabled.

Meanwhile 5 other characters in same instance with both pre and miscast sets had no problem.

I am sure gearswap use can exacerbate a general lag issue, I do not think that general lag is the only issue or the specific issue with huge R numbers being reported here.

In my case wardrobes did not even load, seeing items was hugely delayed, case nor sack would load.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2023-06-28 10:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You might consider trying without packetflow. Many people I know who've tried it have found it to cause as many issues as it solves.
[+]
 Asura.Sakutaru
By Asura.Sakutaru 2023-06-29 09:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Thing got really bad, the lag is back for the last 2 Ody Run and Sortie start to lag as well;
On JP peak time it also kick one of my character out and not let me log back in with 1341 1300 error.... while a friend character run on another PC same Wifi still running fine; i ran on 2 different PC on purpose to check the connection. So it is definately not my damn ISP.

I cant find anywhere to report this "technical difficulty". Anyone can point out where i can report ?
By RadialArcana 2023-06-29 10:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Wifi
[+]
 Asura.Sakutaru
By Asura.Sakutaru 2023-06-29 11:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Quote:
Wifi
But the same wifi run smoothly the whole day, and i had run FFXI via that wifi for years ... :(
By tinkledrip 2023-06-29 15:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

A few months ago it got so bad that it was unplayable and after 2 months without getting better, I was ready to give up but then I got a VPN (ExpressVPN). Why I didnt have this long ago is beyond me. It is pretty cheap too.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-07-01 19:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Theres one word to define Odyssey right now: unplayable.

Pulled mobs are lagaporting everywhere. Theres a 1-3 second lag on spellcasts. I had one character die, then 3 seconds later the cures I was mashing started to cast on them (after they were already at 0hp). Interacting with the portal/conflux is slow. And heres the kicker:
You know how targeting a character will force their position updates on your client? Yeah, thats not even working, they're falling 15-20+++ yalms behind, way more than the usual follow distance (~2-5 yalms)

The moment I'm yeeted to Rabao, problems gone.
[+]
 Asura.Sakutaru
By Asura.Sakutaru 2023-07-02 09:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Theres one word to define Odyssey right now: unplayable.

Pulled mobs are lagaporting everywhere. Theres a 1-3 second lag on spellcasts. I had one character die, then 3 seconds later the cures I was mashing started to cast on them (after they were already at 0hp). Interacting with the portal/conflux is slow. And heres the kicker:
You know how targeting a character will force their position updates on your client? Yeah, thats not even working, they're falling 15-20+++ yalms behind, way more than the usual follow distance (~2-5 yalms)

The moment I'm yeeted to Rabao, problems gone.
Nynja, you play from Canada and in server Carbuncle?
Canada is very close to SE Server in US, decent internet connection, and Carbuncle is NOT crazily populated like Asura ...

It seems SE server has a problem and it somehow progressive worse over time. Again can anyone point out for me how to do technicial report for SE ? i tried many way to report but none work so far
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-07-02 09:10:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sakutaru said: »
SE Server in US
All of FFXI's servers are in Japan.

This is not inherently a connection issue, it's caused by the server prioritizing packets wrong and not sending out the data in the first place. They sort of acknowledged this in a recent interview, but they don't seem to have plans to fix or improve it.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-07-02 12:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not doubting what you're saying, but the lag effects are immediately felt upon entry before I even start buffing or entering any combat. I enter Sheol C, run straight forward on one char with everyone else following + targeted in tow, and they're all way far behind. That doesnt even happen in the middle of Whitegate.

Unless of course, these server side issues related to those zones go beyond just "you have too much stuff in your gearswap".
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-07-02 12:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Unless of course, these server side issues related to those zones go beyond just "you have too much stuff in your gearswap".

They do. Gearswap isn't causing it. It's just the only thing you can theoretically do to improve it, since you can't exactly stop moving or performing actions. The less traffic the server has to send out, the less the queue will be bogged down.

If an analogy helps, you're in a sinking boat and reducing swaps is a shotglass you're using to try to bail out the accumulating water. It's not some magical solution, especially if just one person is going to reduce usage.

FWIW; the server is most bogged down immediately after entering any zone because it has to populate an immense amount of data for 6 people at once. If you wait until inventory fully loads(because that's typically the last general zonein task to finish) before you start doing anything, it is possible you'll have better results because you won't be piling more on until it catches up.
[+]
 Asura.Sakutaru
By Asura.Sakutaru 2023-07-02 22:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sakutaru said: »
SE Server in US
All of FFXI's servers are in Japan.

This is not inherently a connection issue, it's caused by the server prioritizing packets wrong and not sending out the data in the first place. They sort of acknowledged this in a recent interview, but they don't seem to have plans to fix or improve it.

So ... in short, yes SE admit the problem in their server end, and NO they not gonna fix it in near future.

We just have to f off and leave till server comepetly empty and no traffic at all ...

This is just sad as SE treat us like this, a very bitter boots out of my Final Fantasy
 Asura.Sakutaru
By Asura.Sakutaru 2023-07-07 16:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I seem have just fixed my connection problem.

5 Ody runs COR is back 4+mil now ^^ /hurray.

Konami code + VPN + lease line from ISP ... i dont know which one fix the problem, but i was desperate and tried everything!!!