So Why Did You Quit? (and Still Read FFXIAH?)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » So why did you quit? (and still read FFXIAH?)
So why did you quit? (and still read FFXIAH?)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2023-06-26 23:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

just canceled today, burnt out, games not fun and feels like work, time gates, sortie, ody v25s being a rng contest. only thing that delayed it was all the wonderful friends and friends like family that I have met along the way.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2023-06-27 11:01:38
Link | Quote | Reply

No... Not Drakelth... wow...

Damn SE... we're losing good peeps now..

Good job making FFXI ***with the 20 anni and Daily FOMO weapons
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2023-06-27 12:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I bet if they remove the daily content and allow everything to stack up like Voidstones (Sortie, Dynamis, Odyssey Sheols) so people can do things at their own pace instead of required daily, people will return to the game.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2023-06-27 12:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I bet if they remove the daily content and allow everything to stack up like Voidstones (Sortie, Dynamis, Odyssey Sheols) so people can do things at their own pace instead of required daily, people will buy everything from mercs or RMTs then complain about the lack of content.

FTFY.

Like it or not, time gates and daily grinds are an effective solution against just purchasing the final result. Now, whether it is the best solution or even a good solution, we can discuss about that (no, it isn't), but it is a solution nonetheless.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-06-27 12:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Dailies are tried and true tested effective addiction generators. For the majority of users. Nothing works on everyone, obviously.

You let them stack up and "get to them eventually" they forget to go and quit doing it.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2023-06-27 12:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

effective at making people quit..

Drakelth quitting is *** sad - dude built a group from the ground up - I watched him fly to the top and become a crafting giant. He was clearing V25s and helping people

Im glad asura loves this daily trash, since its the only content they can't purchase
[+]
By RadialArcana 2023-06-27 13:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is the real reason people are quitting, the messaging and funding reduction has demoralized people.
[+]
 Bismarck.Drakelth
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2023-06-27 18:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
effective at making people quit..

Drakelth quitting is *** sad - dude built a group from the ground up - I watched him fly to the top and become a crafting giant. He was clearing V25s and helping people

Im glad asura loves this daily trash, since its the only content they can't purchase

dude this means so much to read thank you! I guess I had a bigger effect than I realized to a lot of people. stay good Nick, it was a pleasure and I'm hopeful we'll see each other again ^^
[+]
 Asura.Toeknee
user: Darksyn
By Asura.Toeknee 2023-06-27 21:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Here is the real reason people are quitting, the messaging and funding reduction has demoralized people.

The amount of threads you've randomly thrown this funding stuff in completely unprovoked has me seriously concerned for your mental well being. This seems like it's really thrown your life into a tailspin.
[+]
By macsdf1 2023-06-27 23:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You too drake? Nick did u quit already?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2023-06-28 02:05:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I've noticed a few people have quit that I know since the new producer letter as well as prolific gil grinders I sell stuff against vanished, and the underlying issue is always the same. It's not cause of new content being bad, it's cause they don't feel like there is a point carrying on if there is going to be no new content to use what they are working on for.

I'm spending the bare minimum on the game too now, so I'm teetering on unsubbing too.

Also as someone that keeps track of player numbers on the database tab to the left, the current numbers are the lowest they have been since way before 2017.

Even before Matsui left things were a bit grim.

VR honestly was kind of shocking to me, cause it has been really blatant how little manpower went into that. Normally you get some new models and professional textures for story characters bare minimum, we didn't even get that. Many expected new endgame at the end of it too and it didn't happen.
[+]
By Homsar 2023-06-28 07:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toeknee said: »

The amount of threads you've randomly thrown this funding stuff in completely unprovoked has me seriously concerned for your mental well being. This seems like it's really thrown your life into a tailspin.

Radial is a major SE simp and has been for awhile. He's been spewing excuses since long before the major flop that was the 20th anniversary "update". My personal favorite was the melty he had when Horizon launched and he cried about their numbers being fake without proof. It's a testament to how bad SE has treated FFXI lately that even Radial is sort of badmouthing them.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Primex
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Primex 2023-06-28 07:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm telling you; introduce new open world content and the population will increase.
It's cheaper than creating new purple hallways.

Just introduce 5 new King HNMs that are on a 21-24 respawn with 5 HQ versions that pop between day 3 and 5. Add some 1% ultra rare super uber new shiny toys to it, something like 10k muffy for everyone in alliance that gets kills on NQ, 50k for HQ kills.
Spread them out and make them wander the zone. Add some sense of *** danger into the world.

Has anyone played outward? now there's a game that gets open world experience right.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2023-06-28 07:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Homsar said: »

Radial is a major SE simp and has been for awhile. He's been spewing excuses since long before the major flop that was the 20th anniversary "update".

I am in no way a fan of Square Enix at all anymore and have not been for a long while, I like this game however.

Quote:
It's a testament to how bad SE has treated FFXI lately that even Radial is sort of badmouthing them.

True. Whatever you think of me or I think of you, we both want the best for the game so we can play it and SE are treating it and us like garbage.
[+]
By Seun 2023-06-28 09:16:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Primex said: »
Just introduce 5 new King HNMs that are on a 21-24 respawn with 5 HQ versions that pop between day 3 and 5. Add some 1% ultra rare super uber new shiny toys to it, something like 10k muffy for everyone in alliance that gets kills on NQ, 50k for HQ kills.
Spread them out and make them wander the zone. Add some sense of *** danger into the world.

People won't do Sortie for an hour on their own terms, why would they want to camp NMs for 3 hours on a shifting spawn window?

Fast travel killed open world, but kids these days can't even be bothered to menu that anymore(thanks superwarp). They cry about having tot walk across the zone in Sortie so I don't see them being excited to run around in old zones for 3 hours, especially with nothing to do until the NM spawns.

Also, begging for drama unless it's a world boss type that everyone can tag. At that point, why not just add muffins to DI and call it a day.
[+]
By Therone 2023-06-28 09:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

19 yrs on and off Shiva. I took a few breaks. Its total dead... 400 peeps maybe. Moved to a more pop server. I just like being around people. I do see why ppl quit.
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-06-28 10:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Primex said: »
I'm telling you; introduce new open world content and the population will increase.
It's cheaper than creating new purple hallways.

Has anyone played outward? now there's a game that gets open world experience right.

They won't, and shouldn't, add these IMO. The idea would be neat and I think adding some attention to the old zones/areas would be really neat, but in this era, people aren't going to have the time/resources to dedicated to camping HNMs like they used to. It would end up a bot and drama filled disaster, especially since enforcement of "tools" like EF has gotten a lot laxer, it'd be a matter of who has the fastest bot.

I don't think we should expect much new content outside of existing frameworks, like Sortie and Odyssey. I don't think they have the resources to add meaningful content for endgame players that have already done everything else, the arbitrary 100k galli limit for 6 months shows in part that they are trying to drag out what they have as long as possible.
[+]
 Asura.Disclai
user: Disclai
By Asura.Disclai 2023-06-28 10:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

One low resource thing they should do is simply continue to build upon existing content.

e.g. Could make a lot of old HTBF/BCNMs/etc. relevant again with new difficulty tiers that reward better/augmented gear. (You know, at drop rates that don't rival Shinryu.)

In general I'd say we could use more unrestricted non-daily content. Hell, scale up things like Besieged to actually drive community engagement. Rather than siloing the remainder of the community off to insular statics.
[+]
By Nariont 2023-06-28 10:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been an untapped well they should have picked at years ago, i can only assume they wanted to keep the novelty of it as they add similar type encounters elsewhere such as later introduced ilvl nm battles.

At this stage i doubt theyll ever touch them which is unfortunate as like you said its very low resource way of creating a good deal more content, even if its just rehashed stuff
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-06-28 10:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Disclai said: »
One low resource thing they should do

scale up things like Besiege

Lol. Do you really think that scaling the hundreds of enemies of the incredibly laggy and awkward mass-murder event, including NPCs on the side of the players, is going to be a low effort update?

Also: besieged gives full rewards for touching a single enemy, so have fun when you scale it up and then 85% of players show up, tag a single mob and then go afk.

Oh, guess you're re-working the reward system now to compare people's efforts and make sure they're actually working for that. Should be a simple update, just add +5 to all the stats and you'll be done before lunch.
By Seun 2023-06-28 11:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ambuscade improvements were the low hanging fruit. It's been around so long that most people are done with +2 upgrades, capes and weapons at this point. Would have at least added some incentive if they allowed gear upgrades to +3.

I'm burnt on Dyna D, but northlands would have been nice to see here also.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2023-06-28 11:47:37
Link | Quote | Reply

macsdf1 said: »
Nick did u quit already?

No, The goal is to kill Bumba v25 to stunt on those sortie boys when they show off their FOMO NO LIFE weapons an be like this

[+]
By Homsar 2023-06-28 12:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
I don't think we should expect much new content outside of existing frameworks

I agree. And honestly, I don't think that's an issue. At some point, people have to expect an end to new content for a 21 year old game, though I think one more form of endgame content within Valhalla should have been introduced.

What I think would be really good for the game's longevity is for SE to introduce a new Sparks-esque currency obtained during endgame content that can be interchanged for endgame rewards. So Omen, DynaD, Odyssey, Sortie, and maybe Ambu all earn you this currency and the currency could be exchanged for rewards from other endgame content. You could earn muffins/segments/beastmen tags/swart crystals/heroism crystals while doing various content. It would incentivize players to participate in events that they otherwise have little need for and reduce grind.
[+]
 Asura.Disclai
user: Disclai
By Asura.Disclai 2023-06-28 12:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
One low resource thing they should do

scale up things like Besiege

Lol. Do you really think that scaling the hundreds of enemies of the incredibly laggy and awkward mass-murder event, including NPCs on the side of the players, is going to be a low effort update?

Also: besieged gives full rewards for touching a single enemy, so have fun when you scale it up and then 85% of players show up, tag a single mob and then go afk.

Oh, guess you're re-working the reward system now to compare people's efforts and make sure they're actually working for that. Should be a simple update, just add +5 to all the stats and you'll be done before lunch.

I did not list Besieged as one of the pieces of content I thought could be scaled up relatively easily. It was in the next paragraph as something I think would just be a nice thing to drive community engagement.

Nor do I think anything that would be relatively easy would be "easy" in the sense of "hurr durr just add a 5 to stats and be done before lunch," so you can keep your own stupidity out of my mouth. It's only easier relative to making brand new content, which would indeed be unrealistic at this stage. But even creating higher tiers of existing content would take them months, obviously.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-06-28 13:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
I don't think we should expect much new content outside of existing frameworks

I agree. And honestly, I don't think that's an issue. At some point, people have to expect an end to new content for a 21 year old game, though I think one more form of endgame content within Valhalla should have been introduced.

What I think would be really good for the game's longevity is for SE to introduce a new Sparks-esque currency obtained during endgame content that can be interchanged for endgame rewards. So Omen, DynaD, Odyssey, Sortie, and maybe Ambu all earn you this currency and the currency could be exchanged for rewards from other endgame content. You could earn muffins/segments/beastmen tags/swart crystals/heroism crystals while doing various content. It would incentivize players to participate in events that they otherwise have little need for and reduce grind.

How can anyone be content not expecting new content when you are paying 20+ a month, most cases even more considering everyone and their grandma multi boxes. Stop giving them excuses because the game is old, just look at other games with similar age still creating content.

Pretty much what Radial said, they treating the game like trash. The sub bleed was expected but it seems to be quicker than I anticipated, probably because of all the recent game releases and how horrible Sortle is.

Asura.Toeknee said: »

The good old mental illness angle. The funding thing is indisputable, they have said it themselves in the most recent dev letters. If you think that had 0 impact on the games health, maybe we should be concerned for you instead
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-06-28 13:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Nor do I think anything that would be relatively easy would be "easy" in the sense of "hurr durr just add a 5 to stats and be done before lunch," so you can keep your own stupidity out of my mouth.

Sorry, I didn't realize that the third paragraph in your same post was completely unrelated to the first two and starting a train of thought. I should've realized that "In general I'd say we need" means "I'm changing subjects to things which are the complete opposite of my last two points"

You're right, if we had infinite resources, I think scaling a bunch of 7-50 man events would be great. Not sure how it relates to your earlier point (in the same post) about picking low-hanging fruit. My bad about the confusion, I misread your post.
By RadialArcana 2023-06-28 13:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The good old mental illness angle

He is just trolling from his sock cause he is still salty after many years, I know who it is and if he is too much of a coward to post it on his main I'll just block him and move on with my day.

Low shots like this are only annoying if it's from someone you have some level of respect for.

I agree. And honestly, I don't think that's an issue. At some point, people have to expect an end to new content for a 21 year old game

You said you're quitting at the end of the month cause nothing to do, so obviously you do think it's an issue. So do I, and the only reason I'm still paying a sub for one account is they implied the devs would be back when whatever is causing the current problem is over.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-06-28 13:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect content expansions to a 20+ year old game provided the sub numbers are there and it remains successful.

There are other MMOs of similar age still receiving what appears to be significant content (EQ2 (2004), EQ1 (2000), WoW (2004) for instance). I hate to make too many comparisons because these are entirely different in every way and it's possible their decisions earlier in development made this feasible, whereas 11 is hamstrung by console dependencies, but those games are around the same age and still getting content. So I don't think phasing out based on age alone is the factor.

It makes me wonder what SE is seeing from their subscriber number data. There is a part of me that's wondered if their main source of subs isn't veteran players, rather new players joining to complete the story content since it's part of the FF line. I seem to see a lot of that in the assist channel and subreddits, it may explain their lack of interest in funding more extensive endgame content. They may have run the cost of keeping endgame content development going compared to the number of subscribers capable of doing the content and concluded existing content is enough for the majority of the players they see coming and going.

I'll put the tinfoil hat away, because it is likely equal parts technical limitations, but there are other games around the same age getting more substantial content updates. They've decided that, whatever the reason is, it's not worth the investment.
By Homsar 2023-06-28 13:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
How can anyone be content not expecting new content when you are paying 20+ a month,

They shouldn't necessarily be content, but it's to be expected that eventually an old game will stop seeing content. Even moreso when the game is developed on spaghetti code like FFXI.

most cases even more considering everyone and their grandma multi boxes.

That's not really relevant in terms of expecting a greater return.

Stop giving them excuses because the game is old, just look at other games with similar age still creating content.

It's nice that other games of similar age may be developing content, but not really relevant. It's reasonable to expect a 20+ year old game to stop receiving content eventually, even if a small handful of games of similar age still release content. If SE doesn't feel like it would be profitable to develop new content, why would they?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9