Will Evolith's Really Replace Augments?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Will Evolith's Really Replace Augments?
Will Evolith's Really Replace Augments?
 Carbuncle.Rebwolf
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Rebwolf
By Carbuncle.Rebwolf 2009-11-04 19:15:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Really I dont' see SE releasing augments not too long ago, then making Evolith's to make augments obsolete. Augments will still have to serve their purpose in some way.

SE is also really gambling with ruining in game balance with this evolith/augmenting stuff... I think they're doing all they can to keep players playing is all. I mean really a sonic belt with +6 acc, will be the new "speed belt" It will just recreate the feeling that people NEED these new augments, and that's what SE is lookign for to keep you playing.

But back to the main question. Will Evolith's Really Replace Augments?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-11-04 19:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Will people ever stop asking questions like this before we actually get to play around with the item/event/system in question?

We don't know. Evoliths haven't even been released yet. There are limitations on what items can be used in the system that may keep FoV useful. Perhaps there will be augments you can only get from FoV. Some people may want to gamble rather than spend time on the new NMs. Who knows? I'm guessing no, but nobody can say for sure right now.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-11-04 19:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Rebwolf said:

SE is also really gambling with ruining in game balance with this evolith/augmenting stuff...

Not really. I doubt they'll introduce anything "gamebreaking" as far as the Evolith "augments" go. It seems as though these new augments themselves will be limited to one augment per item (judging from the released item SS's), aside from the current 2-3 augments that you can potentially get from the current augmenting system. Added to this, the new system being introduced let's the player choose what augment is put on the piece of equipment, as opposed to the random augments that they can currently get.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-04 19:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Doubtful. Really there are limits on what you can evol. And there are implications that they will be more stringent then before. Not to mention gotta fit the right shape/element/size thing.

Augments potential will still likely remain higher... at least on already good stuff. However evol will probably allow you to make ok stuff better. And at the very least add some consistency/lower the cost.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-04 19:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, if you think about it...

There are so few items that 75 jobs use that aren't rare/ex. Being able to augment the filler items doesn't break the game at all. Just makes it easier for people who don't have months to devote to getting an Adaman Hauberk.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-04 19:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Taintedone said:
Carbuncle.Rebwolf said:
SE is also really gambling with ruining in game balance with this evolith/augmenting stuff...
Not really. I doubt they'll introduce anything "gamebreaking" as far as the Evolith "augments" go. It seems as though these new augments themselves will be limited to one augment per item (judging from the released item SS's), aside from the current 2-3 augments that you can potentially get from the current augmenting system.

Actually it says its up to 3 depending the stuff you put on it and gear. Also the current system only really allows 3+s for the fay quest. Also I don't think I've seen anything have more than 1 of anything except a base stat except again the fay weapons.
 Asura.Elvaton
Server: Asura
user: Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2009-11-04 19:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Rebwolf said:
Really I dont' see SE releasing augments not too long ago, then making Evolith's to make augments obsolete. Augments will still have to serve their purpose in some way. SE is also really gambling with ruining in game balance with this evolith/augmenting stuff... I think they're doing all they can to keep players playing is all. I mean really a sonic belt with 6 acc, will be the new "speed belt" It will just recreate the feeling that people NEED these new augments, and that's what SE is lookign for to keep you playing. But back to the main question. Will Evolith's Really Replace Augments?

Evolith will not replace augments. It seems to me that in order to do Evolith you need to be a crafter while on the other hand augments anyone can do. Now i could be wrong about the Evolith thing being for crafters but in the pics SE gave us it shows the items used in the Evolith system that they become EX. This is just my two cents.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-04 19:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Honestly, if you think about it...

There are so few items that 75 jobs use that aren't rare/ex. Being able to augment the filler items doesn't break the game at all.

It makes someone that bought an E-bow,Hagun,other expensive ah item. Q_Q HARD when people with 20k items are just as good.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-04 19:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Honestly, if you think about it... There are so few items that 75 jobs use that aren't rare/ex. Being able to augment the filler items doesn't break the game at all.
It makes someone that bought an E-bow,Hagun,other expensive ah item. Q_Q HARD when people with 20k items are just as good.

Yeah but then said people can make there ***even pimper. Also they tend to not be as good so much as almost as good. I mean imagine an ebow with even more str or dmg on it!!!
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-11-04 19:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Will people ever stop asking questions like this before we actually get to play around with the item/event/system in question?

We don't know. Evoliths haven't even been released yet. There are limitations on what items can be used in the system that may keep FoV useful. Perhaps there will be augments you can only get from FoV. Some people may want to gamble rather than spend time on the new NMs. Who knows? I'm guessing no, but nobody can say for sure right now.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2009-11-04 19:38:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking at the limited and explicit wording of the current Evoliths, and given the criteria needed to successfully slot an Evolith, I don't think Evolith's will replace Augments. Evolith's are very specific (WS attack+, etc) versus Augments more general and liberal use of stats.

I bet there will be one or two or three Evoliths that are gonna be "MUST HAVES", but I doubt that'll be as game breaking as one would say, and will most likely not make Augments obsolete, from what I've seen so far.

However, as mentioned above, it hasn't even been released yet, and we've only got a sample of what to expect. We can speculate all we want, but nothing is set in stone until after it's released.
 Carbuncle.Corrderio
user: Corrderio
By Carbuncle.Corrderio 2009-11-04 19:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Not going to call it yet until I see what items will have slots.
 Carbuncle.Rebwolf
user: Rebwolf
By Carbuncle.Rebwolf 2009-11-04 20:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I meant game breaking as in.... All the updates SE has done... Players are getting so much stronger than they used to be.... The balance between mobs and players is less.

For example I've been killing byakko sieryu suzy etc with groups of 8-9.

I have solo'd Genbu.
I got chain 3 on VT pots as mnk/nin.
A long time ago it wouldve been very impressive to solo even 1 VT.

All these augments and evolith's really do add a lot to the already strong players. I'm just saying we're getting stronger, but you don't see mobs getting harder. Even Match these days, wasn't like Even Match back in the day, and it's because of updates.

However SE has known about this in game balance and not to disrupt it, but they slowly are. But they're doing it so people keep playing.
 Garuda.Ishkur
Server: Garuda
user: Ishkur
By Garuda.Ishkur 2009-11-04 20:41:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Rebwolf said:
I meant game breaking as in.... All the updates SE has done... Players are getting so much stronger than they used to be.... The balance between mobs and players is less.

I have solo'd Genbu.

All these augments and evolith's really do add a lot to the already strong players. I'm just saying we're getting stronger, but you don't see mobs getting harder. Even Match these days, wasn't like Even Match back in the day, and it's because of updates.

However SE has known about this in game balance and not to disrupt it, but they slowly are. But they're doing it so people keep playing.

I think SE is keeping the game alive, not killing it. It gets ever harder to get ppl for events, and the player base is thinner and thinner. Thanks to SE we can still play a little bit more.

Getting the 18 ppl it took to do byakko would be a pain now.

But also keep in mind that player know how to play better. we can LOL at PLD/WAR tanking byakko with 5 WHMs healing outside PT...
 Carbuncle.Corrderio
user: Corrderio
By Carbuncle.Corrderio 2009-11-05 03:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Rebwolf said:

I have solo'd Genbu.

Making players that strong really isn't that bad of an idea. Endgame is becoming more and more frustrating since most of the good shells either moved on and quit doing certain events (Sky/City Dynamis zones) and a lot of shells seem to just crash in less than 3 months.

Besides that we don't know exactly what evolths we can get or the limitations. For all we know they'll only allow this on crap gear.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-05 03:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Better question will this evolith thread really replace the other 3 from today?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-11-05 13:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Taintedone said:
Carbuncle.Rebwolf said:
Not really. I doubt they'll introduce anything "gamebreaking" as far as the Evolith "augments" go. It seems as though these new augments themselves will be limited to one augment per item (judging from the released item SS's), aside from the current 2-3 augments that you can potentially get from the current augmenting system.

Actually it says its up to 3 depending the stuff you put on it and gear.

That's why I said "judging from the SS's"; at least from the ones I seen it appeared that there was only one augment on the weapon, though I could certainly have overlooked something that said there would be up to three augments on items.
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-05 13:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Lumei said:
User submitted image

The Latest Evolution in Equipment—Announcing the Evolith System! (11/04/2009)

We're pleased to announce a new system that promises to offer adventurers unprecedented customization options for their equipment! Named the "Evolith" system for the curious stones whose powers must be harnessed to reap the benefits, it will be introduced in a version update coming as early as late November.

Introducing Evolith

Little more than nondescript rocks at first glance, the substance known as evolith has long escaped the notice of the inhabitants of Vana'diel. Closer investigation, however, has revealed that these ancient stones harbor elemental power to rival that of crystals. With advances in the emerging discipline of synergy*, the time has come that their latent potential may at long last be tapped...

*Synergy is a new form of synthesis conducted using a "synergy furnace."
This system will be introduced in detail in a future Topics article.

With each piece of evolith possessing unique properties (*see example screenshots), adventurers may mix and match them in various combinations to bolster compatible equipment with the exact combination of attributes they desire.

User submitted image
*Development screenshot—subject to change.

Evolith 101

Adventurers may enhance their equipment with evolith through the following procedure:

1. Acquire evolith
- Evolith can be obtained by completing new NM hunting regimes accessible from "Hunt Registries" that will be introduced to certain areas alongside the Evolith system.
- Note that each piece of evolith is defined by a unique shape, size and elemental affinity.

User submitted image

2. Choose the base equipment you wish to enhance
- A vast assortment of equipment will support evolith, from several hundred existing items spanning a wide range of levels to new equipment slated to be introduced alongside the Evolith system.
- You may check whether or not a particular piece of equipment supports evolith by trading it to one of the "Synergy Engineer" NPCs that will be dispatched to certain cities.

User submitted image

3. Prepare your equipment
- A maximum of three evolith-holding "slots" may be etched into a given piece of equipment via synergy.
Note that each slot will have its own shape, size, and elemental affinity, to correspond with the evolith itself.
- The etching process will require the use of dedicated items.
- Similar to augmented items, etching evolith slots into a piece of equipment will render it untradeable and unauctionable.

4. Confirm compatibility
- Ensure that the slot is of the same shape and elemental affinity, and is large enough to hold the piece of evolith you wish to attach.

5. Attach evolith
- Evolith may be attached to a compatible piece of equipment via synergy.
- It is possible to outfit a piece of equipment with as many pieces of evolith as slots it contains.

User submitted image

The Finished Product

Should your synergy be successful, congratulations! The help window for your newly evolith-enhanced equipment will appear like this:

User submitted image

- Evolith Replacement and Slot Removal
Should you wish to replace an attached piece of evolith with one offering different benefits, this may be done at time via synergy. It is also possible to remove evolith slots entirely—thereby returning the equipment to its original state—through synergy using a dedicated item. Note that in both cases, the previously attached piece of evolith will be lost.

With countless varieties of evolith in existence, the possibilities are endless. Seek out the combination that best suits your playing style, and the equipment of your dreams can be yours!

Source: http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/5017/detail.html
 Unicorn.Moldtech
Server: Unicorn
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2009-11-06 04:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, but I see Evo > Fov myself, I see no - stats on evo and ya know what your getting as opposed to fov randomness. Hagun possible -3 Str or Ws acc: +4 what's in your wallets?