Status Icons Question
 Asura.Velata
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Viertel
By Asura.Velata 2022-11-26 02:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Question,

I'm only recently returning after a few years, so am getting caught up. Luckily (or not depending on your point of view) there's not been major changes and really only XIPivot and DGVooDoo are the biggest changes.

However, there's a question I've been having. I could have sworn that the status/buff/debuff icons for XIView looked... a bit different a few years ago. In fact I knew it was bugging me until I downloaded XIVParty and noticed those are the icons I remember:

(image from the XIVParty addon page)

Eijin has a video with the exact ones I mentioned in case it helps to see it in real time (was looking through a few if his videos for GearSwap commands, etc.):

YouTube Video Placeholder

Neither of the two currently maintained XIView have these status icons as best I can tell (Kenshi or Caradog). Is there an option I'm missing, or was there a change to how Square-Enix handled status icons that rendered those unusable? I notice that both have issues here and there with certain buffs that error out with a debug icon and message (i.e. the merit pot 72 hour buff one for example).
 Valefor.Esdain
Server: Valefor
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2022-11-26 03:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you need to make sure you have the right dat for your resolution or something??? Like Caradogg's download contains multiple dats but you need to choose the right one. Time for trial and error on your end probably.
By RadialArcana 2022-11-26 06:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ejin uses the icons updated by Kenshi, make sure you zone if you change files in the install.

Quote:
I notice that both have issues here and there with certain buffs that error out with a debug icon and message

I believe Kenshi has no corrupted icons, Cara has some. They changed the image format a little on modern icons and so they show up as corrupted in the modding tool (there are ways around it though)
[+]
 Asura.Velata
By Asura.Velata 2022-11-26 11:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, the .dat files have been replaced and tested. I've even tested a fresh install of FFXI but they're still the same. I mean, it's not complicated. Copy from extracted zip and then paste into the FFXI directory; I've done this for cure dats (the reddish ones), the elemental > pixie from Caarrie back in the day, etc.

Type 1 and Type 2 are very different icons.

I've just tested again with both types of XIView. They don't look like the screenshot, but they're not the default UI status icons. In fact, if I had to pinpoint them, they're the same as the Jeanpaul status icons from the following thread: https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/44787/jeanpauls-dat-mod-workshop/

They're just not the same as I'm used to. In fact, any video or screenshot I've seen since around late 2020 is when this seems to have changed.

RadialArcana said: »
Ejin uses the icons updated by Kenshi, make sure you zone if you change files in the install.

You sure? Because it looks like he's just using the base game's icons in every single video he's posted on his channel lately. For example:

YouTube Video Placeholder

Granted, it could be he's just recording with the default UI lately. I won't rule anything out.

If working in IT has taught me to never rule anything out.

Valefor.Esdain said: »
I think you need to make sure you have the right dat for your resolution or something??? Like Caradogg's download contains multiple dats but you need to choose the right one. Time for trial and error on your end probably.

Except that it's a fresh FFXI install and I tested with just XIView. In fact I even made a Veeam image backup of my machine so I had a copy of the fresh install for testing purposes. It doesn't matter which one is used -- either XIView doesn't look like the icons on the picture and instead look like Jeanpaul's.

Yes, it was tested for 4:3 and 16:9 icons.

All other .dat mods work just fine; XIView status icons are the only outlier. It's dropping in .dat files; not exactly rocket science.

If yours looks like the picture I posted at the top please post one here to verify. Legit asking, as I wonder how I can *** up .dat modding considering I've been doing this since the WotG era and remember poking fun at the pokemon monster models and somehow end up with different status icons than everyone else.
By RadialArcana 2022-11-26 11:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I meant Ejin was using the UI mods Kenshi maintains in the video you originally posted. He tends to be more vanilla these days with his videos for other reasons.

https://github.com/KenshiDRK/XiView

Type 1 are original unaltered game icons, type 2 are modded when you install them.

The dat file that specifically has the job and spell icons is rom/119/57.dat

Other files alter other aspects of the UI.

I loaded his mod into the modding tools and it shows all the icons you have in the image

Asura.Velata
By Asura.Velata 2022-11-26 20:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Type 1 are original unaltered game icons, type 2 are modded when you install them.

The dat file that specifically has the job and spell icons is rom/119/57.dat

Other files alter other aspects of the UI.

Yeah, the Type 1 / 2 I knew as I can toggle in the game and notice the default versus the one supposedly installed. Bard songs are the biggest indicators since baseline all look the same, and JeanPauls have the same default color scheme but has the little identifier in the bottom right of the icon (haste for march, MP for ballads, reticle for madrigals, etc.).

Nevertheless thank you; you actually helped think around the issue again. Working as a network admin sometimes you just need someone to restate everything in a different manner to help jog your brain.

It turned out to be an XIPivot set of dats that actually included 0/119/57.dat and that was causing the issue. Removing that one from the set of dats in XIP and zoning corrected it.

Thank yee very much!
[+]