August 2022 Version Update
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 21 22 23
By Draylo 2022-08-10 22:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

That is true... so maybe theres hope lol
Administrator
By Rooks 2022-08-10 22:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Item update is submitted to Scragg; I'll post once it's loaded.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-08-11 00:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Draylo said: »
YouTube Video Placeholder

Wow. To think someone got PAID to write, perform, and video that hot garbage....and meanwhile legitimate musicians are giving away concerts for free that no one attends.

Garbage? JEEZE, it is definitely not bad. Sounds similar to Omen and is decent.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2022-08-11 01:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

Wow. To think someone got PAID to write, perform, and video that hot garbage....and meanwhile legitimate musicians are giving away concerts for free that no one attends.

WTF - This ***is fire

If those Musicians were good people would attend.
By SimonSes 2022-08-11 02:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
You can also save Soul Voice for floor 4. My DRK gets over 8000 attack with SV up and a good chaos roll. Other jobs don't get as much attack as DRK, but their caps are lower as well.

I don't understand groups doing soul voice on start. You don't need it in first 2 floors. In our static we use Soul Voice always at 14+ min remaining. Without nitro, then reapply with nitro at 12 mim remaining. Relying on wild card is just unnecessary risk of being under cap at 3rd and 4th floor.

Also honor and 4 minuets for soul voice with haste from WHM or SCH. If you are try hard you can also start with those songs if you want, just haste II with RDM outside, then use SCH inside and give Embrava to cover time when haste II wears off and soul voice honor is not up yet.
[+]
By Rips 2022-08-11 02:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Did anyone notice something off with logging in and out of your mules with this update? If you had 16 mules and log in on say mule 6, and then logged out, mule 6 would be highlighted on the character select screen.

Now, post-update, your main character (#1/16) will always be highlighted.

This throws me off my game sometimes.
By RadialArcana 2022-08-11 03:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Rips said: »
Did anyone notice something off with logging in and out of your mules with this update? If you had 16 mules and log in on say mule 6, and then logged out, mule 6 would be highlighted on the character select screen.

Now, post-update, your main character (#1/16) will always be highlighted.

This throws me off my game sometimes.

prob just your mouse cursor is picking 1
By Starbucks 2022-08-11 04:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
You can also save Soul Voice for floor 4. My DRK gets over 8000 attack with SV up and a good chaos roll. Other jobs don't get as much attack as DRK, but their caps are lower as well.

I don't understand groups doing soul voice on start. You don't need it in first 2 floors. In our static we use Soul Voice always at 14+ min remaining. Without nitro, then reapply with nitro at 12 mim remaining. Relying on wild card is just unnecessary risk of being under cap at 3rd and 4th floor.

Also honor and 4 minuets for soul voice with haste from WHM or SCH. If you are try hard you can also start with those songs if you want, just haste II with RDM outside, then use SCH inside and give Embrava to cover time when haste II wears off and soul voice honor is not up yet.
Do you also save clarion Inn case 5th roll was lost for any reason before you sv them?
By SimonSes 2022-08-11 05:34:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Starbucks said: »

Do you also save clarion Inn case 5th roll was lost for any reason before you sv them?

Nah, 5 songs from the start. Only save soul voice. Even if you lose 5th song, soul voiced honor and 3 minuets are usually enough for most jobs/builds.
[+]
By Starbucks 2022-08-11 05:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, 5 songs from the start. Only save soul voice. Even if you lose 5th song, soul voiced honor and 3 minuets are usually enough for most jobs/builds.
I haven't done Ody on anything but DRK and COR for a while. What is your attack on DRG/NIN with the 3 Minuet and a good Chaos roll? I know my COR attack is well behind DRK and jobs I can use Berserk on, obviously, so I would be surprised if you have >7500 attack consistently. Crooked 11 Chaos with +8 is what % attack? I think it is 61% with +7.
By Ozaii 2022-08-11 05:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't done Ody on anything but DRK and COR for a while. What is your attack on DRG/NIN with the 3 Minuet and a good Chaos roll? I know my COR attack is well behind DRK and jobs I can use Berserk on, obviously, so I would be surprised if you have >7500 attack consistently. Crooked 11 Chaos with +8 is what % attack? I think it is 61% with +7.

Drg has innate atk bonus of like 20% with the wyvern out. So it shouldn't be too far behind a berserking war except it should be full timing the atk bonus.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 05:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »

WTF - This ***is fire

If the standard for what is good is popularity, I weep for the world.

Trust me, its poppy garbage "written" (I should rather say assembled) out of aggregation designed to not upset or offend the most people possible rather than take a risk and maybe alienate some, but truly instill passion in others.

Also, her technique is straight up offensive. I've seen Carolina fiddle players with better wrist and bow technique, and let's not even start in on her posture is designed to make all the weebs wet in their diapers rather than caring about playing.
[+]
By Starbucks 2022-08-11 05:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ozaii said: »

Drg has innate atk bonus of like 20% with the wyvern out. So it shouldn't be too far behind a berserking war except it should be full timing the atk bonus.
Oh yeah, it's been a while since I have played DRG. It was my first 75 job and still my favourite job but I am far removed from playing it now.
By SimonSes 2022-08-11 06:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends what DRG build. Naegling doesn't need that much attack. My current Savage build set has 13%PDL, so on floor 4 you would need like 5900 attack to cap and remember Naegling also adds attack bonus on WS. Another reason why this build is so strong there. Also /DNC, not /NIN.
 Shiva.Humpo
Server: Shiva
user: Humpo
By Shiva.Humpo 2022-08-11 06:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sssooooooo.....

Any data mined info on the earring augments yet?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-08-11 06:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

WTF - This ***is fire

Trust me, its poppy garbage "written" (I should rather say assembled) out of aggregation designed to not upset or offend the most people possible rather than take a risk and maybe alienate some, but truly instill passion in others.

Also, her technique is straight up offensive. I've seen Carolina fiddle players with better wrist and bow technique, and let's not even start in on her posture is designed to make all the weebs wet in their diapers rather than caring about playing.

Brother bear, it's some budget video game production. Ain't no one expecting this lady to be the next Andre Rieu
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 06:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

WTF - This ***is fire

Brother bear, it's some budget video game production. Ain't no one expecting this lady to be the next Andre Rieu

Well, that's a comment where I'm gonna have to disagree with you these days. The prevalence of amazing performers these days is astounding. There are vastly more than there are jobs for them- there are likely more great musicians delivering for UberEats and DoorDash than even existed as a whole 100 years ago. The talent is out there, but because of two things, talent has become a very distant 3rd or 4th place in importance when it comes to any art form being considered successful. (auto-tune and SJWs are those two things, just for the record)

Add to this complete gluttony of talent that exists that SE for decades HAS cared about its musical presence and the role of that music in creating iconic products. In my mind they've been the Spielberg of gaming for almost 30 years, dating back to their relationship with Nobuo Uematsu, and their Final Fantasy Touring Orchestra in the past decade. Just as Spielberg understood the important role of the score to his story and worked with greats like Williams,etc. But the past 5 or so years, its really gone downhill and other gaming companies have taken the lead in working with top composers. Look at Ramin Djawadi's work on the Call of Duty series as a prime example.

I don't expect game scores to be high-end art music. I do expect a company with a tradition of caring about the value music brings to their product to not lose their way.
[+]
By Starbucks 2022-08-11 06:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

So about that update?
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 07:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

So about that update?
hehe- so a discussion of music added in this update is too much, but re-hashing odyssey into yet another thread not about odyssey is all good? ^^
By RadialArcana 2022-08-11 07:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

The video and the music are separate, they shoot the video for show so they aren't playing properly.

Also I think it's best to create for the audience, and not some mythical standard that alienates the people who paid for the music to be made.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-08-11 07:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact that they put out a music video for some random new FFXI song is a miracle in and of itself. We're talking about a company who turned the XI dev team into literal cucks who have to sit there and watch the programmers work on the younger, stronger video game before getting 5 minutes a quarter to blow their own load. I'm not at all surprised that they aren't being given the green light to hire John Williams to compose a song for the newest endgame event
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 07:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

if you think musicians can just turn of decades of training in terms of technique, maybe meet a few serious musicians. You can't just switch that kind of training off. I certainly get playing to an audience, but just as an athlete who's entire livelihood is based off their predictable performance over time, some things are so ingrained they are beyond instinct.

In terms of "creating for the audience"- art for centuries has sought to raise the audience up, not cater to the lowest common denominator. That's where the true greatness lies- being able to reach many without debasing one's self. Beethoven was a damn rock star in his day, not by lowering his standards, but by expecting more from his audiences...and they responded. The same can be said when the move to serious composition in movies vs carnival tunes. Or like my prior example of Ramin Djawadi's work on Call of Duty.

And in the end of the day, whether its Elton John or Martha Argerich, you see the same proper hand position and evenness of fingers, whether its Rocketman or the Ravel #2. Quality is quality. And when its not, its just not.

EDIT: and again, if SE didn't have the stellar track record of multiple decades in LEADING the industry on game soundtracks, I wouldn't be nearly as disappointed/offended.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-08-11 07:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Difference is Call Of Duty is a half a billion dollar operation whereas the XI team is likely allocated less than a million a year
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 07:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Difference is Call Of Duty is a half a billion dollar operation whereas the XI team is likely allocated less than a million a year
that bit I'll definitely give ya.
By Draylo 2022-08-11 07:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shes been doing XI songs for over a decade. Has nothing to do with the games budget, he just got a stick up his ***.
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-08-11 07:25:03
Link | Quote | Reply

The song ia great, Cele ia just having a bad take.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 07:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Shes been doing XI songs for over a decade. Has nothing to do with the games budget, he just got a stick up his ***.
please. do tell me your ability to properly critique a violinist's technique or compositional integrity. Or to compare music written for SE today vs 15 years ago. Or really anything beyond gaming statues.

Its not a stick up my ***- this is my lane, I'm staying in it and sharing what my lifetime has given me the ability to comment on beyond fanboy status. Its not completely your fault- proper musical analysis is not something taught outside of conservatories any more. But at least show a margin of appreciation when someone who did spend a lifetime on such things comments. You don't have to agree with me- of *** course not!- but don't you dare say my comments are just some whiny punk with "a stick up his ***".
By Gokulo 2022-08-11 07:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Man, that's really not a good look
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-08-11 07:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Technique and compositional integrity are just toola for guiding composers and performers in making music sound good, but they're not end goals in themselves.

If a song sounds good, it sounds good, and the other parts don't matter.
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 21 22 23