Forum » FFXI » General » Addon rewards for MNK and RNG
Addon rewards for MNK and RNG
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2009-11-02 01:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, my two mains are gonna be MNK and RNG. i've primarily held off doing the addons so far, waiting for the rewards for Shantotto's to be announced.

Now my problem is deciding what to choose. I'm not sure what to go with on any of the pieces. are there any options that would allow me to choose augments that could benefit both, i didn't really see any. or do any of these work so well that i should just swing them one way towards either MNK or RNG?

not sure if that actually makes sense outside my head, but if anyone has any ideas, i'd like to hear em.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-11-02 01:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Only way to make them work for both jobs imo is to get them for MNK and and use for RNG 'if' you melee at all for TP phase. Otherwise I see no reason to do 1/2 and 1/2 stats at all.
 Garuda.Feifongwong
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2009-11-02 01:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Boundsoul said:
ok, my two mains are gonna be MNK and RNG. i've primarily held off doing the addons so far, waiting for the rewards for Shantotto's to be announced.

Now my problem is deciding what to choose. I'm not sure what to go with on any of the pieces. are there any options that would allow me to choose augments that could benefit both, i didn't really see any. or do any of these work so well that i should just swing them one way towards either MNK or RNG?

not sure if that actually makes sense outside my head, but if anyone has any ideas, i'd like to hear em.

The 2 jobs have very different requirements for stats... I don't think you'll get many pieces other than STR+ that will benefit both...
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
Server: Cerberus
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2009-11-02 02:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

so if i was to choose one over the other, which should i choose. like if one has comparable gear that easier to obtain or more affordable, then i would most likely take it for the other til i could obtain the better/comparable gear for that job.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2009-11-02 02:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

your better off going all out on one of the jobs rather than trying to share augments for both jobs, head piece is one of the best WS heads for both mnk and rng (depending on the augments) body is nice as well for both jobs, (for mnk if you dont have usukane body) legs are almost useless for mnk, for rng amazing ( if you like the idea of a 7-8 hit barrage o/ ).

you could also mixmatch the pieces themselves say,

AMK head = Mnk ws headpiece - str4 ws acc+15 accuracy+10 attk+5)

ACP body = RNG body ( Trusty Rusty Shura for mnk)

ASA legs = RNG legs ( Good Olde Haidate for mnk >o )

of course you could do a bunch of variables like that, that was just an example.
ultimately it just comes down to which job you like the most / play the most
 Seraph.Helixx
Server: Seraph
user: Helixx
By Seraph.Helixx 2009-11-02 03:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

depending on situations the pants are godly. I dont know about RNG but for MNK i can help:
-4% physical damage +25hp +4 emnity. Best meat tanking pants if you get hit and want to get hit. These, arhat+1 head/body, BB, Jellyring, Denali hands, terra staff = -51% damage taken (50 is cap).

Otherwise use Byakko only or usu pants with full set. Byakko pants = +7 acc +5 haste.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-02 04:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

"Best meat tanking pants if you get hit and want to get hit. These, arhat+1 head/body, BB, Jellyring, Denali hands, terra staff = -51% damage taken (50 is cap)."
Mnk does its tanking best counter style. I don't really see 4% dmg/enmity pants benefiting mnk tanking.
 Hades.Hiryo
Server: Hades
user: Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-11-02 05:08:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Barrage pants for ranger! :D
 Seraph.Helixx
Server: Seraph
user: Helixx
By Seraph.Helixx 2009-11-02 05:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe its just me but i love the -physical damage on MNK <.<
Counter is definitely godly, but i like to have a -pdt set to fall back to when things get ugly and -50%pdt is the best you can go.

PS: still capping guarding, so yeah, reaching -31%pdt without terra staff is sexy.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-02 05:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

PDT for mnk is an oshit type deal when ALL else fails (and believe me, I do have one, and I do carry it everywhere, but i NEVER use it) and at that point you're not even tanking anymore, you're just trying not to die. You're not going to hold any kind of hate on mnk w/ an earth/terra staff. PDT tanking is for nin and sam.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-11-02 07:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

personally i use to use the Rasetsu Hakama for oh ***moments the + counter was nice and ice spikes proced alot not mention they really pissed peeps off in ballista lol. In 60s i use carry the carapace set the latent +att/def gear saved my *** a bunch of times(also looked like robocop in it what was fun). I even main tanked the wyverns in lower kuf tunnel once as mnk/war with that stuff on when tank for party bailed. now adays i got +1 af pants and boots carry Arakan Samue with a full eva set on macro an also have jelly ring and the campain -2%/10% ring. still need denali hands though least till usku...

Oh also working on getting beak mantle augmentd with +7 acc +2 sub blow +2str or 2dex from spamming azure key from acp

On a side note any ideas on capping guard with 211ish base skill solo? val of sorrow and ro meave being really poor for it.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-02 07:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

ballista is quite diff.
For example, your mob should already be para'd in a tanking situation, ice spikes won't add any value. As far as counter goes, there are better counter pants than rasetsu (though acc is best if uncapped).

Ballista situations are quite diff and don't really fit well into the regular game.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-11-02 08:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

meh havent used for years and back then didnt always have someone to enffeb mobs specialy if soloing or helping peeps farm/kil something