Recommended Jobs For A Trio?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Recommended jobs for a trio?
Recommended jobs for a trio?
By SimonSes 2022-05-22 08:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
SimonSes said: »
Ebullient - Easy to survive with full Malignace. Use trusts with Dispel
From my experience, even if you pick trusts with only the most important buffs for killing it, it still does super high damage even in full DT just because they refuse to stay out of range. For a real healer it wouldn't be a huge deal for a monk, but trusts aren't amazing healers. Not saying it's impossible, but I wouldn't call it easy.

I've also never seen a trust have even close to enough MACC to land dispel on the omen bosses.

If Cloudchief can do it on his BLU (I think he only has 4/5 Malignance, no Windower, no bis sets, no good cure sets and he barely use cure on BLU, which always makes me "wtf", no Cornelia at that time, no capped MLs etc.), then on MNK it should be even easier.

You might be right about Dispel tho :)

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-05-22 10:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Target - Monberaux cover *you mean you're mnk/pld and will cover monbereaux? I mean...that sounds insane but maybe?
Bravado - Face tank. It's only 2500 damage *Uh? Wut? 2500 damage if you have 3 trusts who are standing in the perfect position? And then those 3 will die and...good luck with the next 3 Bravados?
Ebullient - Easy to survive with full Malignace. Use trusts with Dispel *It's not about surviving it, it's about getting 5 trusts who will stay out of range and maintain the right buffs on you. If you give him more than a couple buffs he will 2shot you.
Kris's Regen - multistep light destroys it *You're going to keep up 3-step Light on MNK with no SAM roll while facing his spikes and dispels, for the entire fight nonstop? And the trusts are going to keep up with healing you for an entire Kei without running out of MP on MNK? I mean...Sounds cool and all, but I'm still doubtful.

Sorry, I don't want to derail this conversation with a side subject, I think MNK is a fine choice for a lowman setup, I have a friend who is MNK main and we use it regularly, it's a great job. I just think these claims are dubious at best and set up a poor expectation of a MNK's power. With a party of 3 it will be amazing.

Personally I'd say...WAR (or DRK), COR, RDM. WAR and DRK have slashing and blunt options, WAR also has piercing, COR and RDM can cover magic, you've got great buffs, trusts can cover healing and BRD buffs to at least an acceptable level, and with Sakpata you'll have a tanky melee with lots of dt, meva, etc. DRK could Apoc/drain 3 and tank all kinds of stuff most others wouldn't be able to. You'd be set for most content up till some very minimal end game stuff
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-22 10:11:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Monberaux covers you, not the other way around.

Re: trust dispel on Fu. I've done that fight 200+ times and I've never even seen a trust attempt to cast Dispel. That ain't happening. Best bet would be to minimize the number of trusts you're using who will put buffs on you at all and get used to canceling haste as he's casting EN. Jobs thst can shadow tank and jobs that can boost their magic defense are best.

NIN can deal with 4/6 of the cats fairly well, BLU can do most of them too. If you have a real healer to go with you SAM or MNK will mow through most of them as well. SAM's my go-to for 3man Ou. With human support you can handle every mechanic and Yaegesumi makes the last 10% mostly foolproof. Chango or mythic WAR works too.
By SimonSes 2022-05-22 11:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bravado is 2500 damage if you are the only one being hit. Which is really easy to do, because it's only 10 range. No Trusts will die.

Fu - are you guys watched video I posted? Or you plan to assume things? He survives just fine on BLU and FU takes buffs from every Trust there. You can sub BLU and add some counter accessories or use counterstance) on top of full Malignace to be extra safe. Chakra and SP2 as emergency tools.

Lute soloed everything including Our on SAM for example and he plays vanilla. If SAM can do it, MNK can too. Maybe finishing Ou would be a problem, but nothing else.
 Siren.Kruel
Server: Siren
user: Kruel666
By Siren.Kruel 2022-05-22 12:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bravado is 2500 damage if you are the only one being hit. Which is really easy to do, because it's only 10 range. No Trusts will die.

Fu - are you guys watched video I posted? Or you plan to assume things? He survives just fine on BLU and FU takes buffs from every Trust there. You can sub BLU and add some counter accessories or use counterstance) on top of full Malignace to be extra safe. Chakra and SP2 as emergency tools.

Lute soloed everything including Our on SAM for example and he plays vanilla. If SAM can do it, MNK can too. Maybe finishing Ou would be a problem, but nothing else.
Bravado is 10k conal damage, you're thinking of dancing fullers.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-05-22 12:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kruel said: »

Oh right :) my bad.

Dealing with Bravado is easy too tho. You just need to realize that it's conal that gets very wide further away (and the max range is big, like 20 range?), so if you position yourself far from Trusts it's easy to get all of them in range and with everyone in range it's nothing really hard. When people try to position for this move they come way too close behind tank. You should in fact stay like 10+ away from tank.
 Siren.Kruel
Server: Siren
user: Kruel666
By Siren.Kruel 2022-05-22 13:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kruel said: »

Oh right :) my bad.

Dealing with Bravado is easy too tho. You just need to realize that it's conal that gets very wide further away (and the max range is big, like 20 range?), so if you position yourself far from Trusts it's easy to get all of them in range and with everyone in range it's nothing really hard. When people try to position for this move they come way too close behind tank. You should in fact stay like 10+ away from tank.
I wouldn't say dealing with Bravado is "easy" as a solo mnk with trusts, but I can agree most of the Omen bosses are soloable by mnk with relatively good success, as I know of 2 MNK's on my server who do this and have ran with both of them and have seen it first hand.

I know one of them has not managed to solo Fu as MNK solo though, and do not know if the other one has either.

Apologies to the OP, i'm not one to go off topic, this will be my last off topic comment.
 Carbuncle.Yiazmaat
user: Rudra
By Carbuncle.Yiazmaat 2022-05-22 13:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Mnk is probably one of the easiest job to solo Fu at, especially with malignance and mpaca now. Mnk can survive 4-7 buff ebullient with /run fire/thunder vallation/valliance, like war does. With proper meva/mdb/hp set for GA spells.
Edit: 7-8 buff ebullient if you count march/mad from joachim and one of the buff Monberaux provide, mdb/mab.
 Carbuncle.Yiazmaat
user: Rudra
By Carbuncle.Yiazmaat 2022-05-22 13:30:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Any melee job can solo fu actually, as long as you have proper dt/meva/mdb sets for spells under ebullient. You just want to adapt your trust setup according to your job hp pool and sub.
The most problematic and job limited atm are Kyou, and Kei especially if you cant get enough attack speed full time or deal enough damage with the current battlefield time limit.
By kasnuaku 2022-05-22 23:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

bard, cor, white mage. Can pick up 3 damage dealers, or a 2 and tank for most stuff.
By SimonSes 2022-05-23 02:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I would make:
Player1: PUP/MNK/PLD
Player2: COR/THF/DNC
Player3: RDM/WHM/GEO

Player 3 could also slowly make bard, but since Cornelia is here now and BRD requires expensive gear, I wouldn't focus on it much for now. Player3 could also make /SMN sub and get Caith.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-05-23 18:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

All that is true, but I think the biggest advantage of monk is subtle blow and reduced TP feed with Chi blast(penance).

This is a fantastic point, just highlighting it again. And like Simon just posted, I'd suggest having each player level and gear 2-3 jobs - with enough flexibility to have players covering the important roles of tank, healer/support, and DD - is a great idea.

I'd consider things like how much gear overlap there is between the jobs, and how easy it is to gear the jobs without requiring super high end gear / the job being useful without necessarily requiring tons of different gear sets. For a 3rd job, I'd pay even more attention to something that fits pretty well with the gear that these players would already have or be pursuing on their "main 2". So, my votes would be for something like:

Player 1: PUP MNK... and NIN if you want a 3rd
Reasoning: PUP and MNK share weapons and some good staple gear (Mpaca set, Malignance set). PUP tanking doesn't require a RMEA, MNK still puts out solid DPS with Ambuscade H2H. NIN as a 3rd option is due to it also sharing a lot of endgame-capable gear with MNK PUP (Mpaca Malignance for all 3 jobs, and a lot of other stuff is shared between MNK NIN SAM even if PUP isn't on it).

Roles: PUP is great for situational pet tanking use; MNK is a great DPS that can take some hits and feeds minimal TP to the mob; NIN is pretty flexible as a solid DPS that can tank+DD on many fights where shadows aren't frequently wiped or ignored.

Player 2: SMN WHM... and GEO if you want a 3rd
Reasoning: Lots of shared gear, none of them need a RMEA to function at a high level. SMN JSE Oboro staff is very good; WHM has lots of non-RMEA options to address it's primary role of curing; GEO can just buy a JSE neck and/or Dunna for much stronger buffs than trusts.

Roles: WHM is straightforward, cure the people! GEO is also pretty straightforward as a buff/debuff job.

SMN is where it gets interesting - while the job can be a little complicated to learn, the actual gear requirements aren't excessively high (a JSE staff, even the NQ Ru'Aun abjuration set is a very solid pet set, grab some NQ Su3 gear for Summoning skill for buffs = you've already got your basics sorted) and the job can address several different roles. It can be played quite effectively as
(a) a buffer (I've been using it a lot in Omen card farming duos-trios this past couple weeks!) - Hastega II + Cornelia or a Bard trust to cap haste, Crystal Blessing for TP Bonus, Ifrit's Avatar Favor for Double Attack+, Earthen Armor, etc.
(b) SMN can do some good backup healing/status removal with /WHM or with avatars. For instance, you might be watching your party to help supplement a trust who might not quickly remove status effects, or who might get killed in a fight so you can step in to help toss cures to try to survive.
(c) Can also be more DD-focused with pets, especially fast fights where Astral Conduit avatar damage can really murder stuff (and even if you can't kill in AC window, can knock out a lot of mob HP and work from there). You'd have a very good pet-focused trio with PUP SMN COR.

Player 3: COR PLD... and WAR if you want a 3rd

Reasoning: COR is the only pet buffing job, and has strong melee buffs + ability to add significant DPS for non-pet scenarios. PLD fills a tank role for fights where PUP (or NIN) aren't as viable, and there still are many of those. WAR because it shares a lot of gear with PLD (both are perfectly functional with little more than 5/5 Sakpata set) and can be a very powerful DD without needing any RMEA weapons (lots of very strong WAR-usable Ambuscade and Unity weapons - Naegling that you'll also want for COR and PLD, Loxotic Mace, Montante, etc.)

One note about why I intentionally left THF out of contention... the reason people are suggesting it a bit seems mostly down to Treasure Hunter. But IMO, TH is overrated for content most trios might do. It's totally useless in a lot of currently important content like Ambuscade or for getting Odyssey Gaol gear/RP. And the big factor: any job can already get TH+4 fairly easily and tag mobs in situations where TH helps (Omen for Swarts, Sheol A-C for Lustreless items, High Tier BCs for drops, etc.). Two all jobs TH+1 accessories are very easily obtained (Chaac Belt from legacy Delve content, Perfect Lucky Egg from a small bit of progress in the Voracious Resurgence missions), leaving only one lucky Oseem Dark Matter TH+2 augment for any job in the game to have the max non-THF Treasure Hunter value of TH+4. The difference between zero TH and TH4 is noticeable, but the difference between TH4 and TH8+ is MUCH more minimal. If you're trying to do a trio that is as flexible as possible, I just don't think THF as a "pretty good DD that has TH" is as valuable of a role as many other choices.

EDIT - some practical party compositions for situations you will realistically run into:
1) PUP SMN COR - for pet focused fights with puppet tanking/DDing, avatars doing damage, COR buffing with pet rolls & potentially doing some safe ranged DPS.

2) MNK SMN COR(or PLD) - for low TP feed setups, with MNK as your DPS/tank using Chi Blast and subtle blow, SMN for Mewing Lullaby and buffs, COR for more buffs. COR could change to PLD if a "real tank" is needed instead of the MNK doing both tank+DD roles.

3) PLD WHM MNK - for the classic tank/healer/DD trio, effective on mobs where you need a real tank that can hold hate off a melee DD (PUP will often struggle here), or getting hate on multiple mobs (a PUP weakness), etc. Mostly for fights where you do want a real tank, but where PUP (or NIN) aren't cutting it, which will happen more than you may realize.

4) WAR NIN and any of GEO/WHM/SMN - parties where you might be moving around and fighting numerous mobs that each die fairly quickly (for example, Sheol A-C or Omen farming). Your DDs are both pretty sturdy and can take a hit but also dish out good damage. You might have the NIN be "first voke" and soak up hits with shadows, but it's not the end of the world if your WAR pulls hate.

5) NIN COR GEO - good setup for blink tanking on single mobs that don't excessively wipe shadows. NIN tanks, holds hate, and adds solid DPS. COR does damage and give buffs (but is less likely to inadvertently pull hate like a WAR). GEO buffs (especially ensuring the NIN has capped haste) and debuffs the mob, plus some backup for cures/status removal, and could even add magic bursts if the NIN COR are skillchaining.

This really shows the elegance of the FFXI party system, and is honestly a lot of the reason I've continued to enjoy the game for so long. There's so much depth, so many ways to approach a situation, and so much interesting interplay between multiple jobs using their strengths to fit in combination with another job's completely different strengths. Even having to think through this "what's a good trio setup" is just such an interesting and complex question, and the fact that there are so many ways to approach that question is precisely why FFXI never seems to get old for me.
[+]