2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » 20th Anniversary Reddit AMA
20th Anniversary Reddit AMA
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 26 27 28
By Aerix 2022-05-23 05:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
Its Radial, why bother replying at all? 2 of its answers were "more people playing XI = bad".

You're right & agreed, but I figured it might be worth addressing the topic for other people reading.

Quoting myself since we changed pages:

Aerix said: »
Made a thread on the FFXI subreddit to hopefully coordinate some more interesting/useful questions instead of the AMA getting filled with nothing but fluff.

Any feedback or help (even just upvotes for visibility) would be very welcome.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/uvw90c/coordinating_questions_for_the_ffxi_dev_team_ama
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-05-23 05:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Q: Would you please consider reducing or removing the damage penalty for successive magic bursts of the same element to make this strategy more competitive again? Rayke is not enough to mitigate this issue.

Nuke wall has nothing to do with Magic Bursting. Please stop forcing this connection. Half of the answer will be them explaining this.

Quote:

Q: Would you please consider improving other Trusts in the same manner as Valaineral?

Kinda useless question since they said in the interview that they consider doing such improvements. They will use this question to dodge other ones :P

Quote:

Q: Regarding Omen, would you please consider reducing the number of cards required, increasing the rate at which we can obtain cards, or improving the rate at which cards for one job can be converted into cards for a different job? The change to how Caturae scales could be obtained was very welcome, but cards remain an issue.

AFAIK they answered this too. They said it would be too easy to gear alts with cards from main. Stupid answer, but they will probably just say the same.

My questions if you want to add them:
1. Can we get chat notification of additional effects like defense/attack down, stun, slow etc. applied with Blue Magic (ie. Sudden Lunge, Tenebral Crush) or Weapon skills (ie: Armor Break). It's terrible to just try to guess if those effect land or not.
2. Can we get the ability to make weapon skills without being engaged?
3. Is it possible that we will get at least one server in EU? Ping from EU to JP is terrible.
4. Could we get more precise information of target's defense and attack during check. Ideally exact value, but if we need to stay within lore of description, we could leave "low defense" for player's attack being 25% higher than target's defense and add something like:
- "very low defense" for player's attack being 3x higher than target's defense
- "Incredibly low defense" for player's attack being 4.5x higher than target's defense
- "Extremely low defense" for player's attack being 6x higher than target's defense
Without that, it's very counter intuitive to use lots of new equip with Physical Damage Limit+ stat.
By Aerix 2022-05-23 06:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Nuke wall has nothing to do with Magic Bursting. Please stop forcing this connection. Half of the answer will be them explaining this.

It's a main concern for magic bursts, but I'll reword the question for elemental magic in general.

Kinda useless question since they said in the interview that they consider doing such improvements. They will use this question to dodge other ones :P

I kinda agree, I was apprehensive about adding this question. But I figure they'll pick a bunch of random questions anyway and it might be a way to let them know the changes to Valaineral were appreciated.

AFAIK they answered this too. They said it would be too easy to gear alts with cards from main. Stupid answer, but they will probably just say the same.

Fair enough, I'll remove that one. This question was suggested by a friend, but if it's already been answered before might as well skip it.

My questions if you want to add them:
1. Can we get chat notification of additional effects like defense/attack down, stun, slow etc. applied with Blue Magic (ie. Sudden Lunge, Tenebral Crush) or Weapon skills (ie: Armor Break). It's terrible to just try to guess if those effect land or not.
2. Can we get the ability to make weapon skills without being engaged?
3. Is it possible that we will get at least one server in EU? Ping from EU to JP is terrible.
4. Could we get more precise information of target's defense and attack during check. Ideally exact value, but if we need to stay within lore of description, we could leave "low defense" for player's attack being 25% higher than target's defense and add something like:
- "very low defense" for player's attack being 3x higher than target's defense
- "Incredibly low defense" for player's attack being 4.5x higher than target's defense
- "Extremely low defense" for player's attack being 6x higher than target's defense
Without that, it's very counter intuitive to use lots of new equip with Physical Damage Limit+ stat.

1. Would be nice, but they'd probably have done this long ago if there weren't some kind of engine limitation.

2. I'm guessing they'd answer this the same way when people asked about removing animation lock: it's "impossible". We know it's possible because of addons, but SE won't admit it.

3. Would be great, but they're already working on virtualizing the servers. Doubt that would happen at this point, sadly.

4. This would be nice, I'll add that. But I don't think it would be a factor on NMs anyway.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-05-23 06:19:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Its Radial, why bother replying at all?

I love how badly I scarred you from speaking facts about ff14 (I mean...your religion) a year ago, you've posted this exact thing like 4 times in the past few months. You'll be in an old peoples home 40 years from now still thinking about how mad I made you still.

I love it, SEETHE more.

[+]
By SimonSes 2022-05-23 06:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Would be nice, but they'd probably have done this long ago if there weren't some kind of engine limitation.

2. I'm guessing they'd answer this the same way when people asked about removing animation lock: it's "impossible". We know it's possible because of addons, but SE won't admit it.

3. Would be great, but they're already working on virtualizing the servers. Doubt that would happen at this point, sadly.

1. Maybe, maybe not, it would be nice to know :)
2. Moving during animation looks super weird, especially during for example aiming, so it might be the reason they won't do it. Weapon skilling without being engaged is something that would look natural. Feels weird that you can /ra without engaging, but you need to engage to WS (tho for me it's also important in context of DNC and climactic flourish).
3. Wouldn't that mean it would be even easier to make one in USA and EU?
By Aerix 2022-05-23 06:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Maybe, maybe not, it would be nice to know :)
2. Moving during animation looks super weird, especially during for example aiming, so it might be the reason they won't do it. Weapon skilling without being engaged is something that would look natural. Feels weird that you can /ra without engaging, but you need to engage to WS (tho for me it's also important in context of DNC and climactic flourish).
3. Wouldn't that mean it would be even easier to make one in USA and EU?

1. Fair enough, I'll add it.

2. Weapon skilling while disengaged also looks weird because you instantly have your weapon in hand to attack and there's no special draw animation. Ranged Attacks, on the other hand, do have a weapon draw as part of the shooting animation.

3. Perhaps? I'm not sure what exactly their plans are, but I doubt they'd change them at this point if they haven't already considered NA and EU servers.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-05-23 06:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

3. Perhaps? I'm not sure what exactly their plans are, but I doubt they'd change them at this point if they haven't already considered NA and EU servers.

I think Covid etc. changed a lot. Also maybe plans like those are dependent on how many people will want it and I can't find better occasion to ask than AMA with western players. Don't worry tho, if you don't add it, I will ask it myself anyway :D
[+]
By Aerix 2022-05-23 06:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Covid etc. changed a lot. Also maybe plans like those are dependent on how many people will want it and I can't find better occasion to ask than AMA with western players. Don't worry tho, if you don't add it, I will ask it myself anyway :D

It's cool, you have a point. I'll add it to keep track of questions. Thanks for your feedback.
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2022-05-23 06:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Its Radial, why bother replying at all?

I love how badly I scarred you from speaking facts about ff14 (I mean...your religion) a year ago, you've posted this exact thing like 4 times in the past few months. You'll be in an old peoples home 40 years from now still thinking about how mad I made you still.

I love it, SEETHE more.

I would usually bite for a laugh to see what dribble you came out with next but you just lost your touch and things started getting repeated a bit too much. Even now this post could have been better! I guess your taint has gotten too much and the humour has gone.

The "more people playing XI = bad" as a downside to a shared subscription just takes the biscuit its like you have completely lost it.

Now lets have a bit more effort into your post please and i might just start biting back to the trolls posts.
[+]
 Odin.Lusiphur
user: Chakan
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-05-23 06:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The English community likely makes up a very signification portion (it feeeels like at least half but who knows) of the subscribers to this game. Yet still, we are missing:

1) Translated Freshy Picked Vana'diel notes. The livestream was 2 weeks ago. The Japanese notes were posted last week. Assumed it would arrive a day later but nowhere to be found. There's been no official English dissemination of the information shared, including the notes which had some clarifications.

2) English localization of the census/survey site, which has some extremely unique information in it. I'm assuming this won't happen at all.

Damn, it's like we're back in the dark ages again.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-23 07:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It's pretty obvious that they hold little regard or respect for the Global XI player base at this point. I'm sure there's plenty of reasons for it, but anyway... as paying customers I do expect at least a moderate level of attention.

Honestly the mere fact that a completely pre recorded and edited anniversary video didn't even have an option to turn on English YouTube captions will remain a sour point for me forever, cause it almost belies a level of contempt for us. I know I keep bringing up that particular point but it just stands out to me as so egregious that I'm surprised more people didn't talk about it.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-05-23 07:45:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I'm surprised more people didn't talk about it.

Idk, even I talked about it and I normally defend SE. They *** up big time.
 Odin.Lusiphur
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-05-23 07:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

"C'mon, we gave you 30 seconds of English out of 6 hours with Matt Hilton! What more do you want?!?"
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2022-05-23 08:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I've come to expect very little from the FFXI dev team over the years. We have never really had anything like what XIV gets with their live letters over the course of XI's life. These freshly picked streams have been a step forward in that regard but again I wouldn't expect any live translations from them either, not that I have watched any of them. Most of the live letter we have on XIV are fan translated on the XIV reddit discord with official translators being for expansion live letters and fanfest stuff.
By RadialArcana 2022-05-23 08:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If nothing else I hope someone asks how many developers are working on XI right now, and if they have plans to hire new blood. What happens when Matsui retires? end of updates and we just keep paying $12. I would not put it past SE to do that at all.

The sad part is, even if someone asks good questions they will either ignore them or give non-answers.

I would usually bite

and today is no different
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-23 08:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I've come to expect very little from the FFXI dev team over the years. We have never really had anything like what XIV gets with their live letters over the course of XI's life. These freshly picked streams have been a step forward in that regard but again I wouldn't expect any live translations from them either, not that I have watched any of them. Most of the live letter we have on XIV are fan translated on the XIV reddit discord with official translators being for expansion live letters and fanfest stuff.

I don't expect the Digests/Freshly Picked streams to have live translation. I do expect a pre recorded, edited special event to have translation. Fan Fest Live Letters and panels often do have live translation and that's the most comparable event you can draw between that video and XIV.
[+]
 Odin.Lusiphur
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-05-23 08:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't expect the Digests/Freshly Picked streams to have live translation. I do expect a pre recorded, edited special event to have translation. Fan Fest Live Letters and panels often do have live translation and that's the most comparable event you can draw between that video and XIV.

Or at least... Something. Anything ready for release for the English/worldwide audience on Monday.

It's two weeks later. Entire worldwide audience left in the dark. Just wild.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-05-23 09:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know how to submit on reddit (don't use it). Can someone submit this question on my behalf? figured it out

The auto-target feature in FFXI is very clunky. In events where multiple monsters are on screen, it almost always seems to target the monsters that are the farthest away for some reason. Especially in Dynamis and Odyssey where you are limited to a specific time, this is very annoying as it wastes time. Sometimes, poor auto-target leads to loss of TP, due to the new monster being "out of range" when you use your WS at the same moment where auto-target activates a far away target. Or the player now has to run through several large monster models just to attack the next monster if he doesn't switch to something closer before that. Are you able to adjust autotarget between the current default setting and another preset, such as "Nearest Target"?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2022-05-23 10:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

"we cannot answer your question at this time"
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-05-23 11:21:57
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.reddit.com/user/FFXI_DevTeam
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2022-05-23 17:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Looked at reddit and saw the kinds of questions that people are already foaming at the mouth to ask

"will there be a remake?"

"will there be an official classic server?"

[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-05-23 17:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The reddit XI admins need to lowkey delete that ***as it pops up and/or block it from the AMA

Like literally dont even give them a chance to say lolno and count it as an answered question.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-05-23 17:17:24
Link | Quote | Reply

If a community manager reads this, please don't pick questions to translate such as "will they make an offline version", "if they are planning a remake the game" or "can you add a classic server".

They have answered these many times before and even if they were going to do these things they would not say so in an AMA anyway, since its above their pay grade.

Please don't waste the translators and their time on stupid questions like this.

They almost never communicate with the NA/EU players, so if they are paying a translator to do this please pick questions that are meaningful.
[+]
By Seun 2022-05-23 17:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I don't know how to submit on reddit (don't use it). Can someone submit this question on my behalf?

The auto-target feature in FFXI is very clunky. In events where multiple monsters are on screen, it almost always seems to target the monsters that are the farthest away for some reason. Especially in Dynamis and Odyssey where you are limited to a specific time, this is very annoying as it wastes time. Sometimes, poor auto-target leads to loss of TP, due to the new monster being "out of range" when you use your WS at the same moment where auto-target activates a far away target. Or the player now has to run through several large monster models just to attack the next monster if he doesn't switch to something closer before that. Are you able to adjust autotarget between the current default setting and another preset, such as "Nearest Target"?

/autotarget off

I occasionally turn it on if I'm doing mass pulls for magian trials or something similar, but the default has been off since 04. It's really the only way to make sure you don't lose TP, wake mobs, ect.

Not against them adding it, but I'd be curious to see how many people actually rely on AT than not. I think there's probably adjustments they could make that would impact more than just the players using AT.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-05-23 17:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Turning auto target off doesn't fix anything. It just takes more time to re-engage. I'm just asking for them to create a toggle between the default auto target and a "nearest target" option.
 Odin.Lusiphur
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-05-23 17:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
The reddit XI admins need to lowkey delete that ***as it pops up and/or block it from the AMA

Like literally dont even give them a chance to say lolno and count it as an answered question.

They haven't even bothered to do clean up on the prior threads where people posted some outright disrespectful as *** and ignorant ***. Don't worry. I'm sure reseph will bother during the actual AMA and spend his quota of 2 hours being concerned with FFXI for the entire year.

The Reddit AMA being the only real interaction and interview in English this go-round is a *** travesty. A waste of time on a bunch of people who largely don't even pay a sub or want retail XI to succeed.
[+]
 Shiva.Haldarn
Server: Shiva
user: Haldarn
By Shiva.Haldarn 2022-05-23 17:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
If a community manager reads this, please don't pick questions to translate such as "will they make an offline version", "if they are planning a remake the game" or "can you add a classic server".

But what if this time the answer is "YES"?!?
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-05-23 18:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Downvote that *** and upvote worthwhile questions.
[+]
 Odin.Lusiphur
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-05-23 18:05:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Downvote that *** and upvote worthwhile questions.
Inb4 they sort by new.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2022-05-23 18:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

There, I asked a dumbass mastery rank question that won't get answered. My job is done.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 26 27 28