Odyssey Segment Farming
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-02-14 08:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Good morning all!

Looking for efficient ways to farm segments.

Possibly multiple blus with cruel joke?

On that note, has anyone compiled a list of odyssey families that can be doomed?

Thank you in advance.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-02-17 09:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Update: We ran with BLU BLU BLU COR WHM BRD in Shoal B. We were able to get 3700 a run doing 1 fetter and doom to a bunch of families. Anyone have suggestions to making it more efficient?
By SimonSes 2021-02-17 09:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »
Update: We ran with BLU BLU BLU COR WHM BRD in Shoal B. We were able to get 3700 a run doing 1 fetter and doom to a bunch of families. Anyone have suggestions to making it more efficient?

I know a person (extremely good player) who 3box blu cor brd and also uses doom in B, but he gets like 4k+ Afaik he also pop NMs with mats and I guess open chests with Izzat. I guess what you should do is probably only doom with one blu and send two other BLUs to kill NMs, halos and trash that cant be doomed.
 Bahamut.Belkin
Server: Bahamut
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-02-17 09:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

RUN/SAM/SAM/COR/BRD/WHM in Sheol C is a very effective setup. Bring a few UNM materials to pop Behemoth & Cerberus NMs. Use the izzat to open chests. SV songs at the start of the first pack, head hunt the halos, and use some tact to skip things like slimes and skeletons. We have our BRD DD as well. SAM's with Masamune & Shining One at the ready for mobs that are weak to piercing or resist slashing.

If you get a favorable layout and nobody dies to random BS, you should net in the neighborhood of 4500-5000 segments per run.
By Pantafernando 2021-02-17 10:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont keep record but afaik, B had too many families resistant to crueleaving. Basically all family that had some resistance to darkness seems to be immune to it.

I never tried C, but would see if on A we could keep the mobs falling.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-02-17 10:16:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are doing Sheol B, I would drop a BLU and add PLD or RUN. Then do floor 1 full clear UNM + Halo Beastmen, warp to floor 6, full clear the floor (the beastmen up top SP), spend izzat, then travel down to floor 5, run up the stairs, kill that first group, grab gil reward (its around like 450k), then do one more halo/NM if you have time. Thats 3 consecutive halos if you are fast/lucky enough, and possible 2-3 Hide boxes. You can net 4500 Segments and get the gil reward doing it this way. You should also have enough Izzat to pop one Aurum cleanly this way.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-02-17 10:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you all for the respones!
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2021-02-17 16:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

How does Blu farming work when Cruel Joke (Unbridled Learning) has a 5 min cool down?

Is the hope that the other blu will have it off cooldown by the time the mobs die?
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-02-17 16:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

today I entered with blm blu cor cor cor whm. rotate random deals and wild cards. blm was the puller with manawall.
 Fenrir.Richybear
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2021-02-17 16:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

COR for RD
Can also pop Unbridled Wisdom for an extra Cruel Joke.
Wildcard to maybe bring stuff back.

I mean, if you're just segment farming, can always just pop SP to get an extra round or 2 of CJ in.

Ultimately, relies on floor layouts not being pure *** and getting like Flayers, Skeles and Puddings is your C Floor 2 type thing
 Odin.Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2021-02-17 16:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

today I entered with blm blu cor cor cor whm. rotate random deals and wild cards. blm was the puller with manawall.

Ody A, B, or C?

And how well geared are the Blus?

Like what are their M.acc armors looking like?
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-02-17 16:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

todays run was shoal B and the blu has ambu +2 gearsets. nothing special naegling/kaja rod.

it was a run of 6 mules.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-02-17 18:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »
How does Blu farming work when Cruel Joke (Unbridled Learning) has a 5 min cool down?

Is the hope that the other blu will have it off cooldown by the time the mobs die?

Using cruel joke wouldn't be the main feature, but just a quick cheap way to save time on certain monster groups. If you're bringing a Bard, you can cap magical hate without needing mighty guard. So your tank could pull two groups of monsters at once, then dream flower. Blue A uses UL+Cruel joke. Then waits for one minute. Meanwhile, tank pulls next two groups. Blue B Dream Flower + UL+Cruel joke. By the time that process is done, the first group of mobs would be dead. You then use the cooldown time to just kill as normal, then repeat when it's available again. On floors with more monsters, you can utilize random deal for a couple extra uses. But it's really a quick way to steamroll with minimal effort. Being able to kill 2 full groups in under two minutes is really good for saving time
 Odin.Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2021-02-17 19:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Odin.Senaki said: »

Using cruel joke wouldn't be the main feature, but just a quick cheap way to save time on certain monster groups. If you're bringing a Bard, you can cap magical hate without needing mighty guard. So your tank could pull two groups of monsters at once, then dream flower. Blue A uses UL+Cruel joke. Then waits for one minute. Meanwhile, tank pulls next two groups. Blue B Dream Flower + UL+Cruel joke. By the time that process is done, the first group of mobs would be dead. You then use the cooldown time to just kill as normal, then repeat when it's available again. On floors with more monsters, you can utilize random deal for a couple extra uses. But it's really a quick way to steamroll with minimal effort. Being able to kill 2 full groups in under two minutes is really good for saving time

Huh, how does it work on the halo mobs?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-02-17 19:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

They dont work on beastmen. You would use it for fodder and kill beastmen as normal. Hence the tank to hold everything.
 Fairy.Khory
Server: Fairy
user: Wyrmnax
By Fairy.Khory 2021-02-19 08:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been doing, on C:
Tank
DDx2
BRD
COR
WHM

BRD can kinda be replaced by GEO, but no GEO debuffs. So Haste and Fury, and GEO is gonna need to sleepga the mobs.

WHM ideally has yagrush for AoE Erase, because some mobs make things annoying without it.

Tank runs in, grabs whole room, brd sleeps, dds (and cor and brd) go to town. Rinse and repeat. Try to single pull a few before agons unless your tank is completely decked, go for fetters as soon as agons are pulled and focus on them instead of normal mobs (because they can't be slept). DDs really want hybrid sets on floor #3+, or when fighting mamools.

Bring sarama and KB pops for normal portals, pop whatever NM you get from agon fetters, and get chests after you pop your 2.

Never bring a hydra pop.

Avoid dragons, wyverns, slimes. Make decisions quickly about what to kill and avoid.

Ok-ish runs usually get me 3k. But normally runs 4-5k with decent pickups. You don't need to be a elitist *** to get these kinds of results.
 Fenrir.Melphina
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-19 08:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly if all you wanna do is farm segments with a pickup group I find it most efficient to kill trash mobs with a 3 dd, whm, bard, and either cor or geo setup. Clear out as much of the fodder as you can and walk away with 4000-4500 segments or so, maybe a little more if all three dd are really good. Bard does march minuet and lullaby, whm cures, dd's kill things, and the second support buffs and if it's a cor also adds more dps. You don't need a tank if you aren't fighting the agon mobs, and I wouldn't bother with halos on a pickup run much like I wouldn't bother with NMs on a pickup run.

To put it in perspective, I have a static group I run with and we can push 5500 segments or more with it by adding the halos and nms into the mix, but we only run a couple days a week. We usually peak out at around 6000 segments on our better runs. On the off days I started organizing my own PUGs, and since I expect the average organization and gear quality to be lower I just keep it simple. The difference between a more optimized run with my static and a random PUG that just kills as much fodder as possible isn't that significant. I got 4400 segments last night this way, and that's just roughly 1k shy of my static does most nights. That's not bad at all. I don't think it's worth risking the Nms or fetters unless you know who your running with.
 Asura.Nuance
Server: Asura
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2021-02-19 08:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

We run with pld, brd, cor, blu, mnk, whm on Sheol-C and have been averaging 6500-7100 segments a run. Doing 2-3 fetters, 2-3 nms, popping chests and killing tons of trash. Stuff we know cruel joke works on we just cluster together and sleep pop joke while the rest of the group works on other stuff. Since we started this it shaved 2 mins off each floor giving us more time to utilize and cram in either another fetter boss or group of trash.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-02-19 08:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

how many segments is it for keying a chest? There are days when I don't go to farm segments with ls, so instead of wasting a moglophone and letting it sit, I figured I might as well try the chest keying thing
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-02-19 08:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

"4500 maybe more if the DDs are very good" sounds like an extremely optimistic extimate for a PUG group.

4500 is a nice amount on Sheol C for solid groups, I really don't see random PUG easily doing more than that, especially on their first runs and especially with a COR instead of a GEO.

Gear matters of course (need an assortment of DDs with different damage types, since some monsters are weak to something and strong against somethin else) but it's also a matter of luck and which specific mobs you find.
It won't be nice if you find groups of mobs who can dispel, or bad placements around the Agon Halo, bad links at the worst possible time in situations where you can't sleep (some monsters are immune to Lullaby btw).

Add to this that you need someone to spend Izzat by opening chests (or popping NMs) to maximize the amount of Segments you get. The higher the moogle mastery level of the opener, the more chests you'll open, the more Segments you'll get etc.

So again, really, don't expect to get 4500+ Segments on your first Sheol C PUG run, because it's very unlikely that's gonna happen.
[+]
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2021-02-19 08:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You get abysmal segments for keying a chest while you get upwards of like 200 for using the izzat

More trash you kill more izzat more chests
By Crossbones 2021-02-19 08:41:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been tweaking strats / setup with my group and we're consistently getting 5.5-6k+ a run now with war drg pld/run cor brd whm. We skip random pop NMs to not get shafted by turtle or hydra or whatever, skip annoying mobs like apkallu, slimes, dahak, etc. Kill easy packs and clear fetters if possible. Before we would try to kill everything or almost everything and pop random NMs but that barely got us through the 2nd floor, and we brought a rdm instead of a 2nd dps. Drg uses savage blade mostly unless mobs are weak to pierce or blunt. Sam/drk roll, march march min min for songs. Mob defense is more of an issue than evasion, even on brd with tp offhand I was capped acc most of the time or near cap (like 88% on the higher floors). Getting around 700k gil from the top conflux most of the time but yesterday we had a run that gave us almost 1m. Important to note mob weaknesses as they are not obvious. Dps should be able to do as many different types of damage as possible.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-02-19 08:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you get 75 Segments for a Chest, 100 for a Coffer. At least when you open with Izzat but I think it's the same with keys.
Don't think this value changes with the moogle mastery.
What changes with the mastery is the amount of Izzat required to open the chest itself.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-02-19 08:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Crossbones said: »
I've been tweaking strats / setup with my group and we're consistently getting 5.5-6k+ a run now with war drg pld/run cor brd whm. We skip random pop NMs to not get shafted by turtle or hydra or whatever, skip annoying mobs like apkallu, slimes, dahak, etc. Kill easy packs and clear fetters if possible. Before we would try to kill everything or almost everything and pop random NMs but that barely got us through the 2nd floor, and we brought a rdm instead of a 2nd dps. Drg uses savage blade mostly unless mobs are weak to pierce or blunt. Sam/drk roll, march march min min for songs. Mob defense is more of an issue than evasion, even on brd with tp offhand I was capped acc most of the time or near cap (like 88% on the higher floors). Getting around 700k gil from the top conflux most of the time but yesterday we had a run that gave us almost 1m. Important to note mob weaknesses as they are not obvious. Dps should be able to do as many different types of damage as possible.
That's a good setup.
May I ask why the DRG out of all the possible DDs you could've picked?
And with mostly Savage Blade too. I can understand swapping to Naegling SingleWield if fighting something weak against slashing, but everything else?

Do you have the tank pull, BRD sleep and then kill one by one?
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-19 08:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I've done Sheol C three time with PUGs this past week and each run was about 4000-4500. Maybe I'm just lucky with the people I recruited, or maybe my runs are smoother than the average pug because I know the event from experience. I'm sure me being one of the DD's is affecting kill speed favorably too, but I think it's more than reasonable to expect at minimum 3500-4K in a PUG segment run with a decent setup. As long as people don't aggro something they shouldn't or die unnecessarily it's certainly doable. As people become comfortable over time with the zone layout and mob families things should get smoother down the road too. Most people haven't been doing oddy until now because they didn't have the incentive. Familiarity with the event is in itself a valuable tool.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-19 08:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Important to note mob weaknesses as they are not obvious. Dps should be able to do as many different types of damage as possible.

This is actually relevant because a lot of trash mobs have resistances to damage types that my not be readily obvious. I carry around both Karambit and Nageling now so I can exploit weaknesses as needed. If Rudra's storm does only 15k damage because of piercing resistance but savage blade or asuran fists does 25-40k it's better to swap weapon types for that particular camp. Being versatile with your damage types in this event is an asset. Warriors should be extremely useful in that vein, and should bring multiple weapon types they're proficient with in similar fashion. A warrior with shining one, karambit, and either naegeling or chango or something similar for slashing available would be extremely useful for this event in general.
By Crossbones 2021-02-19 09:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the tank pull and then sleep the mobs on bard while we kill 3 at a time with drg war brd. The reason I use drg is because naegling drg is absurdly strong and they can also cover piercing really well and also I think blunt. The drg subs nin for dw and shadows (they can cap JA haste very easy thanks to wyvern so they aren't really hurt by having to use extra dw gear). Drg with savage and proper gear at pdif avg like 60k wsd and if needed (it's not) can SC with the war using chango or deci. Also want to add that I think pld has an edge over rune thanks to having JA that weaken undead. When I went rune in the past my dps was mostly negligible due to the other functions I had to perform and since everything hits quite hard in there you kind of want cocoon (and healing breeze in case of bad aoe sleep hitting whm). All mobs should die in 2 ws if you are using the right weapon type, even on brd I'm killing pretty much everything in 2 ws even at the top floor, although when I swap out of naegling I don't hit pdif on some mobs but 2x rudras can SC and still kill mobs at the top floor pretty easy. Every run I've done has been getting better and better so I'll probably tweak it some more and take tips from the rest of the people on here to add to my strategy.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-02-19 10:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's amazing how sadly similar to delve plasm fodder farming parties this segments thing is, eventually leading up into fighting the naakuals once again. They literally reincarnated the exact same process into 2021. Finesse
[+]
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2021-02-19 10:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Delve was more fun and engaging than Odyssey IMO.

You had the fodder mobs leading up to the NMs leading up to the mega boss all in a 45min time limit.

Odyssey is too broken out; just killing fodder and some whack NMs THEN zoning into the boss fight which is way too laggy to enjoy.
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-19 10:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
It's amazing how sadly similar to delve plasm fodder farming parties this segments thing is

It really is. For all intents and purposes this is just a mixture of Delve and Omen farming, right down to the fodder mobs dropping lustreless in place of swarts. It's just done with a different theme...and with fetters added. It may be new content, but it isn't very original. But at this stage in the game expecting anything groundbreaking isn't realistic. Even the gear is just reskins of older models. However they're really cool reskins. If nothing else, the color palates they chose for both the gear and nms at least make things a bit more interesting.
First Page 2 3 4 5