Election 2020 The Horse Race (Not Misspelled)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Election 2020 the horse race (Not misspelled)
Election 2020 the horse race (Not misspelled)
First Page 2 3 4 ... 33 34 35
By Viciouss 2020-07-06 14:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Just make the EC votes automatic instead of allowing humans to vote however they want.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Cruz Missive 2020-07-06 15:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
Why even have them >.>

The original purpose and motivations of the EC were two-fold:

1) Prevent idiots from electing a demagogue who couldn't properly serve as President
2) Reinforce the idea that the federal govt is still answerable to the states. Federalism was an actual thing, back then.

The disparity in vote counts wasn't yet a thing, either; even the bigger states didn't have THAT many more people/votes, so the dynamic was much closer to the Senate, where every state got roughly equal say.

Fast forward two hundred+ years:

Wyoming (578k) isn't even a midsized city, but they get three electoral votes. California (39M) gets 65. You can see the disparity.
Administrator
Server: Exodus
By Putin On'the'ritz 2020-07-06 15:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Just make the EC votes automatic instead of allowing humans to vote however they want.

That's effectively what the SC just did; they can't change the law, just make it possible for states to do so.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hideka
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-06 15:02:14
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, there are currently zero states "trying to delete the electoral college."

sorry but you're wrong - several states have already tried to implement state laws assigning electoral college votes based on the popular vote - which renders the EC moot. how did you not see this? this was huge less than a year ago. it was their big 'were gonna get the trump this time' scheme.

Also, did you read all this *** on twitter again? Where are your sources for any of it? Cuz it looks like you once again made it all up.

before i do this, how many more times are we going to do this dance where you blah blah blah twitter blah blah blah, and then i just wind up figuratively dragging my nuts all over your face because as i prove you are a moron because i actually sit down and research on this ***? by my count this will be the fifth time i've had to do this with you, and not once have you ever acknowledged you were wrong- you just double down and stick your head up your *** even further.

if i do this, are you going to acknowledge that you were WRONG this time, or just double down some more?
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-06 15:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cruz Missive said: »
1) Prevent idiots from electing a demagogue who couldn't properly serve as President

It's ironic that we managed to *** that one up even with the EC... hmmmm.
Administrator
Server: Exodus
By Putin On'the'ritz 2020-07-06 15:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Hideka said: »
not once have you ever acknowledged you were wrong

I'm sorry, but when was the last time anyone here, on either side, did that. When have you ever done it?

Like, it's fine to get mad about it but not fine to pretend you aren't exactly the same.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-06 15:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

It's ironic that we managed to *** that one up even with the EC... hmmmm.

only if you are naieve enough to believe trump's an actual demagogue?

people accuse him of demagoguery because they dont understand that his political platform had merit and wasnt argued on an irrational basis.

a true demagogue would be someone demanding they get the vagaina vote because 'its her turn'.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-06 15:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Putin On'the'ritz said: »
not once have you ever acknowledged you were wrong

I'm sorry, but when was the last time anyone here, on either side, did that. When have you ever done it?

Like, it's fine to get mad about it but not fine to pretend you aren't exactly the same.

i mean- i have done it absolutely when i'm wrong.

want me to prove it? its pretty easy to prove. i'm more than willing to admit when i'm wrong about something.

Speaking of admissions of wrongness: how about we actually finish that covid discussion we had before you locked it, and then ignored every attempt to get a clean answer from you lol?
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-06 15:12:17
Link | Quote | Reply

but why not source my claim?

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/33470/the-sealed-dagger-a-ninja-guide/182#3508324

This is a constructive conversation for a guide thread, please continue

no i agree, you're right. i shouldn't have let it go this far - particularly not when my only goal here was to find some higher education on the topics i was curious on. should have just blocked him weeks ago.

i apologize to everyone involved. i'll end it here.
By Viciouss 2020-07-06 15:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I mean, Hideka was 100% wrong on the Bubba Wallace incident, the New Mexico shooting incident, the Rashard Brooks incident, and yes, the Seattle highway incident. He omitted his twitter source because it was a trash one. Basic google searches have established that the highway had been closed by the authorities for over an hour, as this had been a regular occurence for 19 consecutive days. But hey Hideka, go wild with your conspiracies, I welcome the entertainment. That driver is going to prison for a long time.
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-06 15:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I mean, Hideka was 100% wrong on the Bubba Wallace incident, the New Mexico shooting incident, the Rashard Brooks incident, and yes, the Seattle highway incident. He omitted his twitter source because it was a trash one. Basic google searches have established that the highway had been closed by the authorities for over an hour, as this had been a regular occurence for 19 consecutive days. But hey Hideka, go wild with your conspiracies, I welcome the entertainment. That driver is going to prison for a long time.

nah you just have absolutely no intention in accepting any kind of information that runs counter to your perception of reality.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-07-06 15:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, I forgot to even mention his covid conspiracies.
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2020-07-06 15:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of admissions of wrongness: how about we actually finish that covid discussion we had before you locked it, and then ignored every attempt to get a clean answer from you lol?

I'm not retyping a page and a half and refinding all the links so you can ignore it.

I didn't "ignore your attempts", I stayed out of P+R for a day or so because I wanted to focus on getting something actually done. If I thought for one second you would actually read any of it, that there was any way to make you see logic, I'd have retyped it last night.

But even though you've been in this section for all of a minute and a half, you've already proven that you're completely impervious to actual discussion, so I'm not gonna waste my time.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-07-06 15:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

nah you just have absolutely no intention in accepting any kind of information that runs counter to reported facts..

Ftfy. Nice try tho.
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-06 15:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »

I'm not retyping a page and a half and refinding all the links so you can ignore it.

I didn't "ignore your attempts", I stayed out of P+R for a day or so because I wanted to focus on getting something actually done. If I thought for one second you would actually read any of it, that there was any way to make you see logic, I'd have retyped it last night.

But even though you've been in this section for all of a minute and a half, you've already proven that you're completely impervious to actual discussion, so I'm not gonna waste my time.

dont accuse me of not being willing to listen to reason or read sources. never once have i done that, and your claim that i would is baseless. I'm not trying to be a jerk, im not trying to
harm you. i want to have a legitimate conversation over something, because 90% of what you posted was able to be proven fake. it wasnt real. it never happened. it can be proven to have not happened. This is why im asking you to have a spine and defend your position.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-07-06 15:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Wyoming (578k) isn't even a midsized city, but they get three electoral votes. California (39M) gets 65. You can see the disparity.

No, this one makes sense. Each state gets electors based on their number of senators plus their number of congressional districts. Three is the bare minimum for a state.
[+]
Administrator
By Cruz Missive 2020-07-06 15:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
No, this one makes sense. Each state gets electors based on their number of senators plus their number of congressional districts. Three is the bare minimum for a state.

Oh, I know why the math is the way it is, but the end result is that a Wyoming resident's vote for President is worth three times a Californian's.

Like, leaving the debate around federalism aside for a second, you can see why people would get pretty pissed off about that.
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-06 15:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

it makes sense when you consider most people in the cities consider rual areas like that to be nothing but a cabal of effectively nothing more than 'racist sister *** drooling retards'. do you want people who think that about you having absolute control over your life legally? i sure wouldnt.
By Viciouss 2020-07-06 15:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, where do you get this stuff from?
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-06 15:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, where do you get this stuff from?

oh dont pretend even for a second that you've never heard people in the city slinging those stereotypes.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-06 15:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It's very true, people are just rarely honest about admitting it.

It's not so much metro vs rural, as it is "below average intelligence" (because yes, by definition half the country is) having a say. It just so happens that country bumpkins tend to be in that lower percent.
Administrator
By Cruz Missive 2020-07-06 15:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

most people in the cities

What? No. Maybe don't take your cues for popular opinion from the NYT Style section.

I've lived on both coasts, in a couple major cities. Most people there don't even think about "flyover country", let alone have the energy to think dumb crap about it. (Also, a large percentage of the people in the bigger cities aren't actually from there. I wasn't!)

Conversely, I've spent a lot of my life in the South and the Midwest, and they too, don't really give a ***about what happens on the coasts. Turns out that most of the "blah blah city folk hate you" and "durr flyover country durr" stuff comes from talking heads and columnists, none of whom have spoken to an actual human being since the Clinton administration.

Also, don't use the r word. It's not that hard to think of an alternative.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-07-06 15:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, I know why the math is the way it is, but the end result is that a Wyoming resident's vote for President is worth three times a Californian's.

Like, leaving the debate around federalism aside for a second, you can see why people would get pretty pissed off about that.

I get the mindset, but it’s also nothing new. That very argument was why we have a two-chamber congress as a compromise between high and low population states. Given that population density doesn’t accurately reflect how much each state contributes to the nation as a whole, it really doesn’t make sense to have population centers controlling everything and screwing over rural America just because they can cram more people into less space.
[+]
Administrator
By Terlet Sangria 2020-07-06 16:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

accurately reflect how much each state contributes to the nation as a whole

Sure, but that argument doesn't go so hot for Wyoming either: Calfornia's GDP is 3.2 trillion. Wyoming? 34 billion.

I know I'm picking on Wyoming a lot here, but they're such a bad example; they take in more Federal funds than they pay in taxes. If electoral votes were based on contribution, they should get one, for Yellowstone, and that's it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-06 16:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

What? No. Maybe don't take your cues for popular opinion from the NYT Style section.

I've lived on both coasts, in a couple major cities. Most people there don't even think about "flyover country", let alone have the energy to think dumb crap about it. (Also, a large percentage of the people in the bigger cities aren't actually from there. I wasn't!)

Conversely, I've spent a lot of my life in the South and the Midwest, and they too, don't really give a ***about what happens on the coasts. Turns out that most of the "blah blah city folk hate you" and "durr flyover country durr" stuff comes from talking heads and columnists, none of whom have spoken to an actual human being since the Clinton administration.

dude come on. you've taken now two swipes at me, and both times youve run like a coward whenever i call you out on it. either Finish our conversation on covid, and acknowledge that i've demonstrated previously i'm perfectly willing to admit when im wrong or just dont interject at all. you cant accuse me of not being willing to listen to the otherside when you yourself are absolutely doing so.
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-06 16:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

otherwise whats even the point in engaging with you anymore?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-07-06 16:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It's very true, people are just rarely honest about admitting it.

It's not so much metro vs rural, as it is "below average intelligence" (because yes, by definition half the country is) having a say. It just so happens that country bumpkins tend to be in that lower percent.

Um, no, but it really depends on how you view “intelligence”. If you’re talking IQ, here’s a recent map that more or less matches with all the search results I found about IQ by state:

Notice how much lower California and New York are in comparison to surrounding states (and, interestingly, how much higher Texas is). Also, given that I just moved from Connecticut and remember all the education snobs there, the “country bumpkin” stereotype doesn’t allow for freaking Iowa to be beating them. There does seem to be a north/south distinction, though, so interpret that however you will.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-07-06 16:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I question the validity of that map solely because Mosin lives in South Dakota and he is enough to drag that average down by double digits!
[+]
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-06 16:13:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Mosin

DC isnt even on the map from the looks of it; Must be because hank johnson tanked the score to 0.
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2020-07-06 16:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

dude come on. you've taken now two swipes at me, and both times youve run like a coward whenever i call you out on it. either Finish our conversation on covid, and acknowledge that i've demonstrated previously i'm perfectly willing to admit when im wrong or just dont interject at all. you cant accuse me of not being willing to listen to the otherside when you yourself are absolutely doing so.

I was actually looking stuff back up to post in the covid thread, just so you'd shut up about it. This, you may have noticed, is not the covid thread, and I was in the middle of a discussion. I don't owe you a *** thing in any case, though, so if you're going to be an *** about it I'm not sure why I should bother.

And I didn't "take a swipe" at you. I pointed out that your take didn't jive with my lived experience in multiple cities and regions of the country, so claiming it was universal thing was suspect. I sure as hell used less harsh language than you did.

demonstrated previously i'm perfectly willing to admit when im wrong

Citation needed.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 33 34 35