Blue Mage (Regurgitation/Spell Casting Set)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Blue Mage (Regurgitation/Spell Casting Set)
Blue Mage (Regurgitation/Spell Casting Set)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-01-08 11:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Abriel said:
I don't really see any data samples, are you sure the effect isn't just being resisted because elementals have an innate resistance towards debuffs that are normally considered under their spell set? because even though physical stun spells don't have an elemental affinity they don't work on thunder elementals/ramuh, disseverment's/feather storm's poison effect won't land on water eles/levithan, and so on for physical spells. for magical spells it's no different, but I'm less inclined to assume that it means the additional effect is aligned to a completely different element, I'd sooner believe that they had no elemental affinity at all.

I'm just saying it's not the best idea to use elementals for such testing, just because of the fact they'll resist any debuffs that are normally under their elemental spell set no matter the true affinity of what's being used.

note: don't always trust wiki's info (on the matter of jettatura), there's no evidence to back this claim up, but I'd possibly believe it if there was data considering that earth is affiliated with darkess.

edit: terror seems to be an earth based ability, so it's only natural that it would be resisted by earth elementals.
Do you have any evidence supporting your claim? Everything I've ever read barring this post has simply stated a resistance based on elemental alignment rather than a resistance based on the element of the white/black spell that gives the same effect. It also leaves questions for things like earth-based Defense Down effects, since there's no corresponging spell save Dia.

No evidence for Jettatura, hasn't been on my to-do list since I never use it outside of tanking anyway. Will check next time I'm around Dark Elementals though.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-01-08 18:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never even considered this line of testing, or the fact that the additional effect might be a different element. If something is immune to earth magic, Magnetite will do no damage but the gravity effect should still land, while you will never get slow to land from any spell (including sprout smack or radiant breath). Any experienced blu will have seen examples of this from time to time, which lends itself (in my mind) to the fact that the additional effect, regardless of the spell, will be the same element as it's enfeebling magic counterpart.

Obviously there seem to be exceptions and oddities to this, like dark/light based dispel/sleep (and pinecone bomb). And why a light based mob would teach an earth based ability that comes out as dark magic (Jettatura) is totally beyond me.

Have you tried Jettatura on dark elementals? How about Enervation on dark/wind/fire elementals? Being a dark magic spell you'd imagine the dark elemental would resist straight out, but defense down should be wind and mdef down should be fire.

Same goes for:
corrosive ooze on water/wind eles (attack down should be water based anyway no?)
blast bomb on fire/ice
hecatomb wave on wind/dark
light of penance on light/dark/ice
bad breath on everything
mind blast on thunder/ice

As I said though, I've never considered this line of questioning before, so it's all conjecture really, and on top of everything I just listed there's a long line of additional effects on physical spells that could be tested in the same way. Interesting though.

edit:
Nightfyre said:
It also leaves questions for things like earth-based Defense Down effects, since there's no corresponging spell save Dia.
Fire = STR = attack
Ice = INT = Matk/Mdef
Wind = AGI = evasion
Earth = VIT = def
Thunder = DEX = acc
Water = MND = ummm...

That's kinda what I was going on with my comments on what spells should be tested on what. Fire beats Ice, so fire based spells can lower ice based stats, such as sound blast lowering INT. Following that it makes perfect sense why Infrasonics lowers evasion, frightful roar lowers DEF, sandspin lowers acc, corrosive ooze lowers attack. I'm not sure what earth-based def down effect you're referring to, but that's the best I can explain similar effects.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-01-08 20:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Dammit, meant to say wind. At that point I was straying from Blue Mage spells to make a point against Abriel's statement - the effect from Acid Bolts, Armor Break, etc being the focus of my thinking. Yes, there are wind-based Defense Down spells, but they postdate the first weapon-based Defense Down effects other than Dia, which is Light-based.

I'll head out to Beaucedine and verify the wiki information on Jettatura after events tonight.
 Remora.Abriel
Server: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2010-01-11 18:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure about atk/def down on elementals, since there's basically two different affects which seems to be dia/bio based and physical/non-elementally based.

other effects seem to only have enfeebling type effects based on magic.

the point I was making was that the testing you've done only confirms that elementals have a resistance to those specific effects and not necessarily that they're elementally based. now, while it's possible that the enfeebling effects of those spells have a different elemental affinity, in order to confirm that claim you'd need to test them on mobs that separately resist specific enfeebles and mobs that resist specific elements (I'm not sure where to quit start such testing as most mobs either totally resist both or slightly resist either).

note: I'll be out of the loop for being able to test any of this for a bit, been tewakin' the pc and it's seemingly taking forever, lol.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-01-11 19:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You're making a distinction that unnecessarily complicates the underlying mechanics when you could apply Occam's Razor favorably. If you have any specific suggestions for testing though I'll see what I can do.

Update on Jettatura - Ice and Dark Elementals in Beaucedine Glacier had no appreciable difference in response, while Earth Elementals elsewhere obviously resisted the spell completely. I might try it on Diabolos or Fenrir when I get a chance for final proof, but I'm willing to bet it's just a piece of misinformation.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-01-12 05:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I see what Abriel is saying, and it makes me wonder how you would test this sort of thing at all. Like, if an ice elemental is immune to ice, as well as a set of pre-determined debuffs such as bind, does it really matter for the ice elementals sake whether it's immune to bind, or whether it won't land simply because regurg Bind is actually ice based. I hope I've explained myself clearly.

But my reason for wondering if it's even worth-while, is because I somehow doubt there'll be any mob that works differently to an elemental in this regard. If something is immune to bind, I've never known Regurg or Blastbomb to stick in it's place. And if something is immune to all Earth based magic, are they ever not immune to slow too? So using radiant breath or sprout smack won't be any different.

As I think I said earlier, I haven't done any testing on this sort of thing, I'm just wondering what sort of situations you expect this knowledge to be advantageous?
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-12 05:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps when you are trying to use the same type of debuff but from a different element and of course it still not landing. Good to just not do it instead of thinking it might work?

While on the other hand you may be able to land debuffs of the element they are strong against if it is the not a debuff they are strong against...