First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Odin.Naytan
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Naytan
By Odin.Naytan 2020-06-17 15:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
lord I forgot how rude the /check was perceived by the JP community (on average I'm sure, not entirely). You could even get some JP players to just log out by spamming /check on 'em!
I forget the exact wording, but I remember the Japanese version of "XYZ examines you", was "XYZ stares at you intensely", or something like that.

Even though they all know it was just a /check, that wording is just weird.
 Asura.Aeonova
Server: Asura
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-06-17 16:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You've been examined.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-06-17 20:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Schroe said: »
Which was always amusing because you could disable /check notices.

I remember a couple times someone would spam /em examines you. during camping kings.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-06-17 20:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Did they ever use bazaar function? Awkward amirite? I don't think I ever had someone get butthurt over a check personally. But I remember hearing about it every now and then.
 Leviathan.Psymia
Server: Leviathan
user: Psymia
By Leviathan.Psymia 2020-06-17 20:58:23
Link | Quote | Reply

A friend (which married and lives in japan now) from back then told me that on the JP client it showed the message along the line of "Player X looks at you from head to toe" with some implied innuendo.

I had a macro with "/tell <t> {/check} OK?". Well this was somewhere in 03/04 just after NA release.
 Asura.Vanixim
By Asura.Vanixim 2020-06-17 21:20:52
Link | Quote | Reply

1. I remember when this game first began, Japanese players would physically position themselves away from the actual counter, so that it wouldn't be difficult to target.

Once JP got mixed with US players, well, that etiquette became a burning pile of trash. Now everyone tries to crowd the counters as much as possible, lol.

2. Leveling SMN to 75 cap on bombs.

3. Shikigami Robe.

4. When people thought Bahamut would be a SMN from finishing COP, lol.
 Asura.Azriel
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2020-06-17 21:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Mattelot said: »
Asura.Schroe said: »
Which was always amusing because you could disable /check notices.

I remember a couple times someone would spam /em examines you. during camping kings.

Guilty.
[+]
 Asura.Vanixim
By Asura.Vanixim 2020-06-17 21:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Valefor.Yandaime said: »
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
/p everyone not BLM: holy crap 8,000 damage! its just dead!

I cant remember exactly but I think the damage was much lower than that? Back then, doing anything more than 2000 Damage at one time was just insane and resulted in /check spam haha. Actually wait, found a link:

YouTube Video Placeholder

Lv.45-50somethings working in unison for a 1000~ Freeze Burst haha.

Holy ***. Rhaegal :O One of the ~20 people from Poland who played FFXI. First one who finished Relic (Kikoku). Woodworking 100 and elemental staff cash was OP, so he was able to buy more currency on top of getting them from organizing dynamis runs with Gelenros and Opiekun (another 2 polish players). All of them were 75 before I started playing. Funny to randomly see him on pic :)

This reminds me of this

Woodworking + elemental staves = college tuition paid for, so the legend goes for some dude named Twig on Ifrit.
By Mattelot 2020-06-18 11:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Psymia said: »
A friend (which married and lives in japan now) from back then told me that on the JP client it showed the message along the line of "Player X looks at you from head to toe" with some implied innuendo.

I had a macro with "/tell <t> {/check} OK?". Well this was somewhere in 03/04 just after NA release.

Yeah, I heard of people doing that. I would NEVER do something like that. I shouldn't have to ask your permission to use a non-invasive feature built into the game. While I understand you may have been doing it to avoid animosity, people are going to invent all kinds of awkward reasons to be upset. Even more-so now that we live in the snowflake era where you can't even be normal without someone insinuating that you're trying to deliberately be offensive.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2020-06-18 16:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Having to AFK for the bathroom or taking the dog out, gone less than five~ten minutes, come back to being out of the party and also dead.

Watchin' people hop over the side of the airship and riding on the tiniest portion their foot could stand on. Never could get that to work for me...

Call For Help!
 Fenrir.Aladeus
Server: Fenrir
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2020-06-19 06:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

had a party in eastern altepa once and then we had a break cuz someone afk'd or w/e. i watched this guy (drk i think) aggro mobs to die then home point, 5 times. i asked him what he was doing, and he said it was so that his weapon skillup would match his xp level. i.. couldnt believe it. lol
[+]
 Shiva.Eightball
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-06-19 14:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Jumping at the chance to help with LB2 just for the Epeens on Boreal Hound.
[+]
 Fenrir.Aladeus
Server: Fenrir
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2020-06-20 05:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eightball said: »
Jumping at the chance to help with LB2 just for the Epeens on Boreal Hound.
ya i think i managed to do 2900 dmg with savage blade on my rdm. that was unheard of xD
[+]
 Asura.Vanixim
By Asura.Vanixim 2020-06-30 10:19:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Lunatone said: »
Not telling my party in Crawler's Nest I didn't have Utsusemi: Ni yet and letting jesus take the wheel.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Similarly, not letting your party in Crawler's Nest know that you don't have Refresh on RDM yet.