Forum » FFXI » General » Extreme lag in Bahamut
Extreme lag in Bahamut
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-10-22 11:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I've actually noticed this happening a lot lately on Diabolos. I originally thought it was my ISP as well, since Comcast cable internet is just plain awful to begin with. However I brought my laptop to work (which has a different ISP and connection type, being DSL and not cable like my home) and experienced the same problems. Mostly it's lag or connection issues when loading menus, such as /search functions, auction house browsing, or the delivery box. Occasionally I will zone and the screen goes black, but never loads again and I have to restart PlayOnline. And of course, frequent and random R0 at any time (which has proven to be troublesome during certain events and battles).

Many people in my linkshell have reported similar experiences, and now seeing this thread I know I cant be crazy lol.

I would not be surprised if servers at SE are in a state of disrepair, having most of thier resources pointed in other directions (FF13, FF14, etc.). Though it would not surprise me either if it was a combination of SE's lack of server maintenance and poor internet service providers, causing this issue to be more prevalent with some players and nonexistant to others.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-10-22 11:38:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Explain Bird Camps when nobody else is there.

I'm in Tav Safehold right now, and I get a R0 right next to the AH, and only other person here is an afk synther.

I have these same problems. Not exactly with R0's. That I only notice occasionally. But I'm constantly only getting an average of 8 Frames Per Second. And that is with weather and shadows turned off. As well as clipping plane and chars shown as low as possible. I guess it could be my computer. But I've done regular system maintanance like defragging and system clean-ups.
 Bahamut.Pheliont
Server: Bahamut
user: Pheliont
By Bahamut.Pheliont 2009-10-22 12:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, maybe it is your ISP. I go to friends house, has DSL, see a lot of lag. I go home, and unless Cox is working or something I don't get lag that often unless, A) a lot of ppl >50 or so in ~20 foot radius or B) 200+ ppl in small zone. The only weird problem I am having though is when I send a PoL msg to a friend while playing. But after I reboot my internet (Unplug modem and router, re plug modem, wait for everything to start working, re plug router) everything works perfectly fine.

Edit: Or could it be the systems you play on? I play on a ps3. For the PCers, how great is your computer?
 Bahamut.Dracondria
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-10-22 12:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone I know on Bismarck has this same problem, my LS has R0s at the same time, people I party with R0 at the same time etc. It's SE's fault because everyone R0s at the same damn time for the same amount of time.
 Bahamut.Satanas
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2009-10-22 13:41:01
Link | Quote | Reply

the answer is simple, pheliont smells like poop, and the server cant hold its breath forever so when it takes a deep breath, we get r0's simple as that :)
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-22 14:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lets see what we got so far in theories:

1) Servers (highly probable)
2) RMT (moderatly probable)
3) ISP (not really probable, since most people have different carriers around the world, and everyone is pretty much experiencing the same thing)

I wonder if SE actually knows whats going on.

And I bet you that its possible (new theory) that the RMT /ts have something to do with it. It would affect all servers if the servers are interlinked with each other and powering each other for efficency, so Bahamut and Odin would be affected if this was the case. Only way to find out is to find out if the servers are not interlinked with each other AND if they are interlinked, unlink them and see if Bahamut and Odin still gets R0s.

AKA constructive thinking.
 Bahamut.Paulus
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-10-22 14:17:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been dealing with this the last week and a half myself.

I've been getting alot of packet loss on my pings to SE's servers.

Also I've been having issues with my vent server which probably means it's more of an ISP issue.

Resetting my modem always seemed to fix it but I'd have to do it at least twice a day.

Ultimately after a few trouble tickets to my ISP they supposedly "found a line issue" and corrected it. Also, I learned that letting my modem handle NAT functions conflicts with my router so I bridged my modem and configured my router to handle PPPoE.

I will say that this was never an issue before though.
 Bahamut.Pheliont
user: Pheliont
By Bahamut.Pheliont 2009-10-22 16:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Satanas said:
the answer is simple, pheliont smells like poop, and the server cant hold its breath forever so when it takes a deep breath, we get r0's simple as that :)

lol heya satan, whats new
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Server: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2009-10-22 16:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Their servers might be thrashing from lack of scalability and maintenance.
 Gilgamesh.Aaralynn
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Aaralyn
By Gilgamesh.Aaralynn 2009-10-22 17:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Happens on Gilga, too. It's somewhat amusing. While we were kiting KV he suddenly jumped over the cactus on top of our kiting guy, after coming back from a short r0.

Would probably not be half as amusing if that had caused him to be KOed, however.

But yeah. I really doubt it's the ISP. Every time someone r0's, they mention it, and all of the LS says they just did as well. There was some shouts in WG, too.
[+]
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Etoilemourante 2009-10-22 17:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

same on fairy...

SE want kill FF 11 for ppl go on 14...

14 for restart all at zero, no tkx for me ...