'Remapster' Project: HD Maps for FFXI
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Asura.Akaden
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Akaden 2022-05-27 22:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranoutofspace said: »
Are these meant to replace in-game maps? (Can they? Pretty please?)
The 512 ones can be. That's definitely why we included them.

I have yet to research making DAT mods for these though. That'll probably be for map pack 2 at the earliest. It takes a LOT of time to draw the maps (Spalose) and place the markers (myself). So the last few weeks have been a mad sprint to get this ready for this weekend.

A few of these maps are in zones with no maps, so they won't be able to be added to DATs (I think??), and some of them are the first time these maps have been drawn at all (as far as I can tell). Hope you all enjoy :)
[+]
By Zubis 2022-05-28 07:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

These look amazing and I'm shocked by how many maps you have done.
Based on this thread's first post I assumed only 3-5 maps were done, but after downloading the pack I can see more than 160!

Keep it up, this is really exciting. Looking forward to seeing what's next.
[+]
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2022-05-28 22:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Zubis said: »
These look amazing and I'm shocked by how many maps you have done.
Based on this thread's first post I assumed only 3-5 maps were done, but after downloading the pack I can see more than 160!
Thanks! Yeah Spalose has been hard at work drawing up the maps. There's a surprising number of maps in this game. There's nearly 300 zones, and a lot of them have multiple maps. We have a bunch of "stub" maps we're using in the interim to test the addon. We don't have all the maps in the game (some were just never drawn and don't exist in the game), but as of now we estimate ~750-800. Some are repeats, some are very small. Maybe 170-190 have been drawn by Spalose, and exactly 12 have been drawn by myself. It's slow-going. But there's some duplicate maps ahead. Those are really satisfy to check off :P

Data collection for the markers is slow too. As we can't reuse all the transition data on the wikis (they're not consistent with each-other, or even within their own maps). And there's a lot of data out there that's not accurate enough for us or non-existent. So it's a lot of manual running around and checking-my-damn-self. It's satisfying though, so I don't mind.

There's a few maps that we have drawn but didn't release for one reason or another. Either waiting on some design decision, data collection, or missing markers holding us back. I think we've got a good rhythm and a good system though.

We never really intended to release the maps early, but people seemed interested, and we thought that with what we have we can elicit some feedback and spur some excitement in the project to keep us going :)
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-05-31 17:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Found a way to mod the ingame maps to accept 2048x2048 image files, finally. They look brighter in the game, the semi-transparency made them look darker in the screenshot.

So these can now be put into the game when they are done.

Max zoom on the map

[+]
By spalose 2022-05-31 19:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Found a way to mod the ingame maps to accept 2048x2048 image files, finally.

Oh my gosh - how did you do this? Before we even embarked on this project, this was the first thing I tried and I couldn't find any resources or help -- the maps replaced just fine, but they were always too massive and the game cut them off.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2022-05-31 20:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

That's awesome. Can't wait to see the completed project in usable form
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2022-05-31 21:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Incredible!

I'm decompiling Texhammer now so I can make a quick console application to automate the process.
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2022-05-31 22:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Akaden said: »
I'm decompiling Texhammer now so I can make a quick console application to automate the process.

It worked.

Gotta write up a script to automate it on all the maps we're currently releasing and push it to the github :)
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-06-01 03:32:45
Link | Quote | Reply

spalose said: »

Oh my gosh - how did you do this? Before we even embarked on this project, this was the first thing I tried and I couldn't find any resources or help -- the maps replaced just fine, but they were always too massive and the game cut them off.

Well it couldn't really be done previously, literally just figured out how to do it yesterday via hex editing the files. Normally, putting large files in via texhammer would just show this huge image on the screen that was cut off and unusable.
[+]
By Wiking 2022-06-01 05:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, this is amazing.
By kefkaesque 2022-06-01 12:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

been following this project for a while, reddit just made me aware of the recent progress. wanted to drop by and say that while i'm not currently playing, i appreciate the hard work that goes into this. awesome job everyone involved!
By RadialArcana 2022-06-01 14:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Small point, if you use HD modded maps they have to be used with XIpivot if you use FFXIDB minimap. The addon uses the original map files and if they are changed it doesn't work properly.
 Asura.Daleterrence
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2022-06-01 15:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a guide on how to use these maps in game or somewhere we can download the DATs or is it still too early for that? :o
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2022-06-01 16:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Daleterrence said: »
Is there a guide on how to use these maps in game or somewhere we can download the DATs or is it still too early for that? :o
I've been having trouble getting the script to work. but I (again) think I'm close

The issues, in order:
  1. texhammer didn't change the right resolution values, so I decompiled it, fixed it, and recompiled it so that works with commandline

2. texhammer worked fine and dandy on some maps, other maps used compression. ImageMagick could convert the files, but not to the correct compression. and of course it looks terrible

3. Found a tool that *could* output the right compression. It wasn't accepting the commands it should. When I finally figured that out, it's slow AF.

4. omg I don't even have a full list of map dats, absurd!

5. Wrote a script to SCOUR the DATs for every texture that matches a specific regex. There's THOUSANDS

6. Narrow it down to just ~900, there's some repeats, that's fine.

7. script runs, we have dats.

8. the compressed ones work, but the uncompressed ones are desaturated

I'm so close I can taste it
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-06-01 19:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Created a Zip with some of the maps to test.

If you drop these into the install folder FFXIDB minimap won't be able to read these maps, since they are too big for the addon.

Best used with XIpivot for this reason.

V1
Bastok x4
Sandy x4
Windy x5
Jeuno x4
Mhaura
Norg
Tavnazia x3
Whitegate x3 (nahsmau)
Escha Z
Escha R
Reisenjima

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Gf0jkjG3HXR-7tIaOlwGrP1PFA2a2bd/view?usp=sharing
[+]
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2022-06-01 21:32:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright fellas, we got the DATs
They're fresh
They're crispy.

There's a download link and a guide to installing them with XIPivot here: https://remapster.com/2022/06/01/dat-pack-1/

Enjoy! And as always PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK on our github page! https://github.com/AkadenTK/remapster_maps/issues
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2022-06-01 21:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you drop these into the install folder FFXIDB minimap won't be able to read these maps, since they are too big for the addon.
bummer dude. someone update ffxidb addon next, ha
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2022-06-01 22:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Avereith said: »
bummer dude. someone update ffxidb addon next, ha

We put some mappy files up as a bonus too :)
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2022-06-01 23:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Mischievous said: »
Are ya'll still going to be working on your addon for these maps? Really enjoyed what ya'll have shared so far on windower discord about it.

Absolutely. The add-on has much more functionality than the in-game map. It also can show you maps that the game will not and give your position for them too.

Developing an in-depth UI for Windower v4 is an incredibly difficult task and takes a LOT of code and even more testing.

Windower v5 has an incredible UI and once all the functionality we need is there, I'll start working on that addon too. It's going to take MUCH MUCH fewer lines of code lol.
By RadialArcana 2022-06-02 03:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Have a suggestion for the addon, although it's a big one. I was making maps for it the idea a while ago.

Would it be possible to have a kind of atlas type system in it too? Kind of like the map system in lost ark or wow?

So you have the buttons on the side that take you to each region:

Like pressing western lands takes you to this screen

Then you click on the area with the mouse and it then loads the map of that area, with a button to cycle through the maps of that area back and forward if it's a zone with multi maps.

Also, maybe add a "send to area" toggle button on the region map that inputs a superwarp text command to chat "//hp quifim" and enter (maybe have these from a txt file so people can make custom names) to take you there if you're close to a home point or book.
 Asura.Daleterrence
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2022-06-02 07:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright fellas, we got the DATs
They're fresh
They're crispy.

There's a download link and a guide to installing them with XIPivot here: https://remapster.com/2022/06/01/dat-pack-1/

Enjoy! And as always PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK on our github page! https://github.com/AkadenTK/remapster_maps/issues

I love you. Thank you so much!
[+]
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2022-06-02 08:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Would it be possible to have a kind of atlas type system in it too? Kind of like the map system in lost ark or wow?
Planned, though not for the initial release. Trying to keep the non-map UI sparse. We literally have: images, text, click and keyboard events. That's all the UI we have. Everything else is hand-made. Buttons, check boxes, windows, sliders, etc.
For now, changing maps is very similar to superwarp:
Code
//map foret
loads up Foret de Hennetiel.
with a button to cycle through the maps of that area back and forward if it's a zone with multi maps.
Implemented :). As also teased: the maps have transition buttons with letters/numbers that are clickable and open up that map. We do have the capability to open multiple map windows at the same time, but I'm unsure how useful or expected it would be. Trying to decide on behavior for that. EG: ctrl-click might open in a new "window". There may also be a command that opens a second window.
Also, maybe add a "send to area" toggle button on the region map that inputs a superwarp text command to chat "//hp quifim" and enter (maybe have these from a txt file so people can make custom names) to take you there if you're close to a home point or book.
Planned, though similar to multiple windows, we have to decide how the behavior should be. Since we already have click-transitions, attaching superwarp (or whatever other addon commands) to clicks is not a problem in the slightest. But the user must be alerted that this would take place, either by something in the UI or something after the click. And knowing if you're close enough to a waypoint or homepoint is troublesome, as they may not be the same code check as superwarp (yes I can copy-paste, but what if it changes? Yes I'd be the one that changes it, but we're off topic) or whatever other addon command.
It's not an insurmountable obstacle, but it's a usability decision to consider.
[+]
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2022-06-02 10:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You have my eternal gratitude for making a map of Yorcia Weald that's actually usable.

[+]
By Wiking 2022-06-02 11:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

LORD THANK YOU <3
By Wiking 2022-06-02 12:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

These are really nice, will there be any like NM info or ??? etc in the future?
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2022-06-02 16:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Wiking said: »
For DATs, we'll probably keep them sparse. If there's a lot of interest for more markers, we'll consider it as a secondary pack. But the idea is that the maps would be clean and usable and if you wanted more info you'd seek it out on the various wikis, or (eventually) use the addon and toggle the information you want to see on. We have Unity and Voidwatch markers placed, and we have plans for battle-content (dynamis, abyssea, etc) overlays to display information.
We do plan on compositing this information so that wikis can use the maps if they'd like, but I don't think we'll add them to the map DATs.
[+]
By Zubis 2022-06-02 17:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

For DATs, we'll probably keep them sparse.

The best approach tbh. Get the maps out there as a foundation first then build on that.
[+]
By Wiking 2022-06-03 06:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

For DATs, we'll probably keep them sparse. If there's a lot of interest for more markers, we'll consider it as a secondary pack. But the idea is that the maps would be clean and usable and if you wanted more info you'd seek it out on the various wikis, or (eventually) use the addon and toggle the information you want to see on. We have Unity and Voidwatch markers placed, and we have plans for battle-content (dynamis, abyssea, etc) overlays to display information.
We do plan on compositing this information so that wikis can use the maps if they'd like, but I don't think we'll add them to the map DATs.

A feature like that would be much appreciated :D