How Can I Talk To Windower's IPC Channel?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » How can I talk to Windower's IPC Channel?
How can I talk to Windower's IPC Channel?
By Aliekber 2020-04-29 14:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been toying with the idea of creating a Windower add-on, and it would really be best if I could use Windower's existing IPC mechanism to communicate between my addon and an external program (not a bot). I tried using Process Explorer to look for any open Named Pipes while I had two Windower instances open using Send to pass messages to each other, but wasn't able to see any pipes originating from Windower or POL at all.

Does anyone know anything about connecting to Windower's IPC channel from an external program/script? I can set up the communication from the outside, I just don't know where to direct it so that Windower will see it.
By Aliekber 2020-04-29 14:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, to avoid the XY problem, let me say what my real need is. I need to be able to pass in data from the outside in a way that my addon will be able to see it in realtime. If there's a non-IPC realtime way of doing that, I'm all ears.
By Jetackuu 2020-04-29 18:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably a better place to dig:

https://discord.gg/v6pk6uy
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-04-29 19:55:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Windowerinput.dll, fface, eliteapi and most other interfaces use a memory mapped file as a way to do IPC. I'm not positive whether it's public knowledge or the windower team shares the layout of it(I don't want to give away their information out of turn), but windower monitors the memory mapped file for commands and other things. It's a little more obscure than named pipes, but it's generally a very fast and reliable way to do it.
By Jetackuu 2020-04-29 20:00:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Jet just wants it to do RPC!

/rant
By Aliekber 2020-04-29 22:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks!