users online
Forum » FFXI » General » April 2020 Version Update
April 2020 Version Update
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
By Nariont 2020-04-04 09:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
Thf will use Exen without aeonic to skillchain

Why not just use shark bite? Or even dancing edge if its scisson youre after, both should put similar/better numbers and dont take any merits.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-04 09:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Not really. aka; not optimally (*)situationally (**)suboptimaly

THF isn't going to do exe > rudra > evis > rudra with twashtar/vajra/tauret

Other people exist besides thf to skillchain with.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-04 09:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

THF is never going to close with exe ever
THF is never going to choose to open with exe (except solo etc)
THF is never going to choose to link with exe either. make the other person change their ws to avoid exe.

It's that bad of a ws lol.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-04 09:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

THF is never going to close with exe ever
THF is never going to chose to open with exe (except solo etc)
THF is never going to chose to link with exe either. make the other person change their ws to avoid exe.

It's that bad of a ws lol.

Yeah, thats not how skillchians work in rotations.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-04 10:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I know you want to be right, but like think of one scenario where

*** idk, GA > exe > GA > stackedMS (*)and why you would do it, without Aeneas(*)
(replace GA with literally anything to make it work)

Couldn't(shouldn't) be done in a more optimal way
(Ihina being one of the only people that use this type of strat would have the best answer)
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-04-04 10:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Eiryl is right you know. Exenterator is so bad a thief will never want to use it outside of triggering aeonic aftermath. Exenterator only has 4 hits and no tp mod, it cannot critical, and it has a 100% agility mod. Evisceration on the other hand is five hits, can critical, and has a repeating 1.25 fTP bonus across all hits, Its pretty easy to get critical hit rate to 60-70% and total critical damage bonus of 25-35% range (we have 14% critical attack from job traits alone. Eviceration is so much stronger than exenterator the difference is almost a joke, and that’s WITHOUT Tauret’s 50% damage bonus. Rudra’s storm is equally superior. If thief really needed to make light they would prefer to use either shark bite or mandalic stab, which are also better than exenterator. Most of the merit weapon skills are strong, but there are some duds. Exenterator is one of them. I have 5 merits in it and literally haven’t touched it in a year or two.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-04 10:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

*** idk, GA > exe > GA > stackedMS (*)and why you would do it, without Aeneas(*)

(Ihina being one of the only people that use this type of strat would have the best answer)

Any time you need a skillchain link and thats your option. Not skillchaining massively lowers damage output (and is a large reason atonement having skillchain properties sucks *** for enmity generation, as using it interrupts damage)

Skillchains are also required for certain mechanics, and if thats what you have then thats what you have.
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2020-04-04 10:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If the question is does any job only ever use aeonic weapon for everything ever, the answer is no.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-04-04 10:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Any time you need a skillchain link and thats your option. Not skillchaining massively lowers damage output (and is a large reason atonement having skillchain properties sucks *** for enmity generation, as using it interrupts damage)

Skillchains are also required for certain mechanics, and if thats what you have then thats what you have.

The point is that thief skillchains darkness 99% of the time, not light. There are only a few very specific fights where it actually matters which type of skill chain you make, and for those specific circumstances mandalic stab and shark bite are far better options. Everything outside those handful of situations it’s pure eviscerstion and rudras spam. Your kidding yourself if you think going out of your way to use exenterator specifically for its light properties changes anything when darkness works equally well on 99.5% of content and the stronger weapon skills damage makes it hit far harder to boot.
By Nariont 2020-04-04 10:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Still womdering on the application of exent over just usimg SB or DE, i get wantimg to have sc options but exent doesnt add any afaik
By FaeQueenCory 2020-04-04 11:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Exenterator only has 4 hits and no tp mod, it cannot critical, and it has a 100% agility mod. Evisceration on the other hand is five hits, can critical, and has a repeating 1.25 fTP bonus across all hits,
Gotta point out that both Exenterator and Evisceration have their fTP transfer to all hits. (Exenterator's is just 1.0 to Evisceration's 1.25 though)
Also: the AGI mod is only 73~85%. Not 100%. With few exception (~6 WSs) all the WSs that get 100% mods are of the first few WSs a weapon type gets (e.g. less than 150 skill).

Evisceration's main boon over Exenterator though is how stacking for its modifier also boosts its TP bonus effect in a similar manner that stacking STR on WSs with a STR mod is always better than stacking for their other mods.
Whereas AGI doesn't contribute to anything but the modifier of Exenterator.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-04 11:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is that thief skillchains darkness 99% of the time, not light. There are only a few very specific fights where it actually matters which type of skill chain you make, and for those specific circumstances mandalic stab and shark bite are far better options. Everything outside those handful of situations it’s pure eviscerstion and rudras spam. Your kidding yourself if you think going out of your way to use exenterator specifically for its light properties changes anything when darkness works equally well on 99.5% of content and the stronger weapon skills damage makes it hit far harder to boot.

And again, other jobs exist, and not all make darkness easily.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-04-04 11:58:33
Link | Quote | Reply

it's every thread with him, just let it go he's obviously not going to change his mind
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-04-04 12:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not like thief can't just self skillchain. Sure in archaic days tp gain was too slow for that, but with modern tp sets all it takes is a haste buff and we can TP fast enough to open and close darkness all by ourselves.

Quote:
it's every thread with him, just let it go he's obviously not going to change his mind

Agreed. There's no point discussing it any further. Everything that's relevant has already been said.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-04 12:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not like thief can't just self skillchain. Sure in archaic days tp gain was too slow for that, but with modern tp sets all it takes is a haste buff and we can TP fast enough to open and close darkness all by ourselves.

Quote:

Agreed. There's no point discussing it any further. Everything that's relevant has already been said.

Because thf is the only DD in the group, amirite?
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2020-04-04 13:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait wait, your panties are in a bunch because you cant 5/5 shitty exenterator?

Because thf is the only DD in the group, amirite?

psst, if youre using exenterator, its not for damage, you only need 1/5
By SimonSes 2020-04-04 13:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Both DNC and THF have Shark Bite and Dancing Edge, both can be used for same skillchains in place of Exentrator and provide same or better result, so stop writing the same ***about how skillchain works and actually look what Nariont already wrote and you somehow missed it.
2. If you use Exentrator for LIGHT properties you need Aeonic for it.

1. + 2. = No practical reason to ever use Exentrator without Aeonic

Whats so hard to understand here?
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-04-04 13:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You should be using Savage Blade if for some reason you're on Fragmentation duty in a coordinated Skillchain between multiple DDs anyway.
Quote:
B-b-but I have to use a dagger WS later in the skillchain!
Good thing your weapon slot isn't locked.
By SimonSes 2020-04-04 13:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
SimonSes said: »
Valefor.Yandaime said: »
SimonSes said: »
Which jobs use an aeonic "always"?

I suppose DRG is one.

In context of merit WS..
Idk about DRG, you would still probably use Stardiver with different weapons.

DNC, THF for sure tho.

I rarely use Aeonic on THF. Twashtar-15 and Taiming/Tauret unless dicking around or something then I’ll use Centovente offhand.

Yeah, THF doesn't always use Aeneas. Even you propose how good Tauret can be Simon. I use Tauret and evis spam for some things

I think you guys missing the point. Its not about who use Aeonic, but who use merit WS only with Aeonic and this is what I meant (and why I wrote "In context of merit WSs.."). DNC and THF will only use Exentrator with Aeonic.

DRG will still use Stardiver with other weapons because it still useful WS even without Trishula.
You have misunderstood the context of the discussion; I was responding to this:

"there are only 2 jobs that will always be using aeonic"

No job always uses an aeonic for all content.

That whole discussion was about using merit WSs, so logically "use Aeonic always" in context of that discussion would mean "always use Aeonic if you are using merit WS" because simple "use Aeonic always" without the context would be completely pointless off topic and would have no logical sense in that context.

Paraphrasing this the question is what job dont need to merit WS, because it will never use it without Aeonic. The answer is DNC and THF.
[+]
By Prong 2020-04-04 15:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, not to point out the obvious but, adding to this, if you are in one of those "mechanic" fights where Light is the SC that is needed, you normally don't even use THF. You use any number of other DD jobs that specialize in Light SCs. And if someone wants to argue, "But...but, what if you ONLY have THF?" It's 2020, level more than one DD job. Takes all of a day to get to 99 then maybe a month to gear it properly.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-04-04 16:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, when the monthly ambuscade was mamool ja's a little ways back that was one of the few specific fights where you had to make either light or darkness dependent on his aura. I still brought my thief and took the thing down with minimal issues on very difficult. The visual queues differentiating between light and dark auras was kind of vague so recognizing which aura he had up was a bigger challenge for my groups than executing the fight mechanics themselves. But your point is relevant. On most content where you're specifically looking to make light you tend to bring... say dragoon for stardiver, or warrior for ... well.... versatility in everything. When people use the black mage magic burst strategy to take down Kei they bring scholars to make fusion and follow it up with ranger's trueshot to burst thunder afterward. Etc etc.

But these fights are the rare exception and 99.5% of content doesn't give a hoot if you're making light or darkness. They both go equally unresisted and the difference between a 20-30k evisceration or a 50-80k rudra's storm closing darkness for 30-80k damage is a far cry better than a 8-12k exenterator closing whatever it closes for a paltry skillchain damage. Exenterator is weak, so much so that using it anytime outside of Aeneas's aftermath is a liability.

Quote:
That whole discussion was about using merit WSs, so logically "use Aeonic always" in context of that discussion would mean "always use Aeonic if you are using merit WS" because simple "use Aeonic always" without the context would be completely pointless off topic and would have no logical sense in that context.

Paraphrasing this the question is what job dont need to merit WS, because it will never use it without Aeonic. The answer is DNC and THF.

This sums up exenterator's utility perfectly.
 Carbuncle.Arakon
user: arakon
By Carbuncle.Arakon 2020-04-04 21:51:27
Link | Quote | Reply

On the Mog House exit pop up, I find it better to just warp into Selbina or Mhaura to job change to avoid the excessive delays (2 x zoning + annoying pop up on exit + stupid targeting of tunes instead of door which they have not fixed).

I still keep home point at the Port Bastok #2 for HTBF key items but do all the switching in Selbina between merits farming and HTBF fights.

Unfortunately I still can't avoid the Mog House for using Capacity Points until I cap all the jobs and access to Storage slots.
 Asura.Biglovin
user: Monko
By Asura.Biglovin 2020-04-05 01:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Arakon said: »
On the Mog House exit pop up, I find it better to just warp into Selbina or Mhaura to job change to avoid the excessive delays (2 x zoning + annoying pop up on exit + stupid targeting of tunes instead of door which they have not fixed).

The pop up while exiting the mog house was fixed in this month's update.
 Carbuncle.Arakon
user: arakon
By Carbuncle.Arakon 2020-04-05 07:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Biglovin said: »
Carbuncle.Arakon said: »

The pop up while exiting the mog house was fixed in this month's update.

You still have to deal with the 2 x zoning delay and the annoying targeting error for "Symphonic Curator" when you have the Orchestrion installed. Wish they would just move the tunes control to the moghouse exit menu instead.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-04-05 09:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

My problem with the exit is that if the menu failed to load, you couldn't do ***about it without an addon besides relog. I stopped using actual mog houses years ago because of that, though at this point it probably wouldn't have been hard to write something to fix it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Divinius
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Divinius
By Quetzalcoatl.Divinius 2020-04-06 13:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting rid of the stupid "Set Home-Point?" pop-up on MH exit is absolutely spectacular, and something they should have done 18 years ago.

But leaving us with no way at all now to set our home-points right outside the MH is just lazy and stupid. All they had to do was add it as an option somewhere NOT annoying, like in the menu of the NPCs that let you view other people's MHs, that no one ever uses.

Alternately, if they just made it so you could instantly logout (and access safes and storage) in TOWNS, then I'd never need to use the mog-house again, and would have no need to set my home point immediately outside.

The good news is that this update didn't break any home-points already set, so as long as I NEVER change my homepoint again, I'm still fine.
 Carbuncle.Beirmos
user: Bongyogha
By Carbuncle.Beirmos 2020-04-06 13:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Divinius said: »

The good news is that this update didn't break any home-points already set, so as long as I NEVER change my homepoint again, I'm still fine.

I would say the only good news here is all this did was give folks like you new reasons to complain about something that was addressed not to your liking.. sorry bro. Why even make a post about it, just move on with the game & it's dev team. This feedback is as dumb & worthless as my comment to you. HonryThorny always yapping about something else too when he's not DUPING or getting banned. Wake up guys its YOU not SE!!!

Lazzysummabishses get over it!!!
By Matic 2020-04-06 14:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

10 more pages, don't let me down
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8