BLU Merits
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-10-19 14:01:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking for some information plz.
allright got 5/5 Physical Potency now... but now i am not sure what to merit in group 1 beside that.

mainly thought about macc one... but my question to all you blu is....

how good is Magical bluemagic REALLY? Is it worth the 5/5 merits in acc and 4 or 5/5 in Convergence?

i WONT MERIT BLUEMAGIC SKILL since 8/8 enfeebling/elemental.

my normal MAB gear wont be bad for blu i guess haveing Novio/pendant/nimue's tights and macc stuff like denali/omega/balrahn and many MND/INT stuff blu can wear from my other mage jobs...

but i am really not sure if its worth it for blu without bluemagic merits.
(And btw not really looking just for the 10 min ability Convergence dmg when i ask you if its worth it ;) )

thx for your replies.
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2009-10-19 14:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends on what you plan on doing with your BLU.

Eyes on Me can be a great magical spell, not many things resist dark magic save undead types, and being Demon family its great against dragons. Focus on CHR and MAB for this guy. Gains a MASSIVE dmg boost from our 2hr.

Heat Breath completely ignores Magic Defense Bonus, and does damage proportionate to your HP. I would def get 5/5 blumacc merits if you plan on making a HB build with no BLU skill merits. Focus on HP and get Saurian or relic hat for this one. Convergence DOES add dmg to HB, so with 1500 hp, you could do 750. 10% from the hats bring that to 825. Now pop off a fully merited convergence and you can do 1031 to a single target. I use this mainly on Xarc NM's, Omega, Ultima while his Phys shield is up, etc. If you have the macc to back it up, only shell or MDT- traits will reduce your damage.

Regurgitation is essentially hateless, once you calculate the enmity loss from the recasting time alone, and can put out some impressive numbers with INT geat, Neptune's etc. Good for doing Mp efficient hateless dmg.

If any of those situations sound like you or your groups could benefit from, I would look into it. If you think you can outperform in every situation as another job, then feel free to focus on meripo friendly merits, or whatever you please. Maybe Cannonball friendly merits even.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-19 15:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Magical spells are awesome if you have the builds for them, set the correct spells, and are using them appropriately. Value is variable depending on the situations you use your BLU in. Your merits are skewed towards your other mages, as opposed to mine (8/8 Elemental/Blue), so in all honesty you may not get as much out of them as others who can pump merits into BLU.

If you're going to be physical DD /NIN or /THF whenever you're on BLU, go 5/5 Potency 5/5 CA Recast and split G2 among Assimilation, Enchainment, and Diffusion as you feel appropriate. If you're going to be nuking a fair bit, it may be worthwhile to invest in MACC merits instead of CA recast, possibly swapping Enchainment for Convergence. Lack of Blue Magic merits probably favors a physical approach, but I wouldn't know... I didn't play with magical spells on tougher stuff until after I was 8/8.

For reference, my setup is 5/5 Potency 5/5 MACC 5/5 Assimilation 4/5 Enchainment 1/5 Diffusion.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-10-19 15:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

For the question of Magical Accuracy merits being worth it if you aren't doing Blu magic skill, I would definitely say yes, as long as you plan to use it. Even if you had the skill merited I'd still do them as resists can be largely handled between these merits and HQ staves. The events Zeldageek laid out are pretty common instances and even between only really using Breaths, EoM and Regurgitation, I think they're totally worth it. Especially if you get to use BLU in Sea!
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-10-19 15:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

well hopeing to ever get to play BLU somewhere which is not just PW to drop my XP to cannonball on it or a wingI einherjar ><
Haveing BLM RDM BRD and TH4THF makes my chances even less^^v but still hopeing!
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-10-19 16:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, yup! I only had SAM, MNK, NIN and BLU which outside of salvage wouldn't really be considered "gotta have it" jobs and I see BLU the very least of alllll.
By Sierran 2009-11-13 09:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I merited phys potentcy and magic accuracy.

I regret the magic accuracy and wish I had placed it in chain affinity recast purly because in events like limbus and nyzul I find im sitting with 100 tp with 30 second left on CA timer.

I will have to redo them at some point but its always hard to justify dropping merits when other jobs always need them.
 Phoenix.Zeotah
Server: Phoenix
user: Zeota
By Phoenix.Zeotah 2009-11-26 14:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I did 4/5 CA recast and did 3/5 on physical potency and magic accuracy. It's worked fine for me thus far. Not having any other mage jobs is nice since it allowed me to merit up blue magic full blast.

For a few months I was BLU almost exclusively with the occasional outing on DRG or SAM. When I got c-legs from sky earlier last month I started going to more events on PLD (a couple of our main tanks leaving didn't help much either) so I don't get to use BLU so much anymore.
 Remora.Abriel
Server: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-11-28 16:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't bother with diffusion unless you plan to do a lot of lowman events where you wouldn't normally have a lot of support in the party you'll be in. I had it for a long time and only found myself putting it to use on singular occasions bi-weekly, so I ended up dropping it for 5/5 enchainment.

I've only recently gotten into magical builds, the only thing I have to say about this is that regurgitation is awesome. but, don't even bother with a magical build unless you get HQ staves, you'll really want the macc boost since you're gonna be mostly stacking stat gear and any spot that there will be a considerable boost to macc will generally take away a good ammount of int/mnd/chr/mab.

as for convergence... at max recast it's basically a 2.5% total dmg/acc boost (increases when unable to instantly start casting when recast is up, decreases if you're casting multiple spells, bla blah). I guess that's decent, but most ppl will only put 1 level into the ability which is only ~0.25% dmg/acc boost. basically saying go full out or don't even bother with this.

but yeah, cat. 1+2 merits should be tailored to your play style. I play blu as a jack for merit level events, some of which need to be mana burned. I don't have blm or sch leveled and I'll kill anyone asking me to bring back my rdm so I pimped blu's magical build and found it to do surprisngly better than I thought (I had used breath builds for a long time which does alright with NQ staves, but the mp efficiency for magical spells with an awesome build is almost a 65% increase). I went 5/5 phys. potency/macc/assimilation/enchainment, if you already have blm/sch/rdm for mana-burn events then yeah, dump the macc for chain affinity recast.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-11-28 17:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I pretty much have my Group 1 figured out, 5/5 Physical Potency 4/5 Magical accuracy at the moment, eventually I'll get 5/5. At first I was going to go 5/5 Chain Affinity, but I figured that having magical accuracy would be much more useful than having Chain Affinity 20 seconds lower. However I'm stuck on what to do for Group 2, and it's really because of one question. Is it true that Enchainment is only active when TP > 100%?
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-28 19:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I'm aware enchainment applies every time you use Chain Affinity (and at no other time). It's a little bit like all the blus that store and hold tp because it makes the spells stronger, the messages on the spells that say "increases damage with tp" all only apply during CA.

Also just a note on Convergence from what Abriel said, it's actually 5% increase for each merit, to a max of 25%. The macc on this is totally broken (not in the good way), but the damage is extremely nice. Only way you're ever going to break 1k Heat Breaths (or even Frost Breaths) on mobs that don't take extra damage. Also works wonders for Magic Hammer as I believe it's caculated before MAB, which somehow manages to increase it by more than 25% (I think)
 Remora.Abriel
Server: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-11-30 17:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

when I was talking about convergence, I was refering to the total benefits over time. sure it's prety cool to pop off a really high damage magical spell now and then, but the total DoT gain from this ability is much less than spectacular (even at full cap).

what I really meant was basically hold off on C2 merits, aside from assimilation, 'till you know where you want your blu to stand. if you do decide on convergence, max out your breath or magical build first and make sure you're going to make good use of it, because it's going to eat up a lot of merit points.
[+]