Corona Virus, How Has It Affected Your Area So Far?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
First Page 2 3 ... 37 38 39 ... 129 130 131
By Jetackuu 2020-03-30 20:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Would you learn math from a math tutor that fails high school math?

Maybe, most schools teach math horribly wrong.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-03-30 20:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
The reason you guys are not understanding me is that you are being partisan and you assume I am too. Pence saying that people should not wear masks is incredibly idiotic.

No partisanship from me, it's probably the first time I say a nice thing about Pence, because he's being truthful, this is what experts are saying.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/medical-devices/activities/announcements/covid19-notice-home-made-masks.html

Yup, "experts" from NA governments, countries with 7k to 163k cases. I don't buy it at all. Would you learn math from a math tutor that fails high school math?

Experts from Hong Kong(600 cases), South Korea(9k cases and best at flattening the curve after community transmission start), Taiwan(300 cases), Czech Republic (3000 cases) all promote face masks and encourage them. I prefer to believe "experts" from more successful countries, lol.
This^^
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-03-30 20:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

is it really possible to compare individual aspects of response between countries with so much still up in the air variables wise?

-testing rate
-overall population
-speed of response for quarantine
-large scale mask usage
-vulnerability of population (age, conditions, access to health care,etc)

I don't think its possible to nail down one country's result vs another's based solely on mask usage. Can we compare the overall response and results between nations? Damn straight, and we should find out where the flaws were to improve upon in the future. Assign blame? If needed. But its a whole lot easier to assign blame vs fix things.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-30 20:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not at all. Even in our own states.

It's super easy to say bum *** wyoming has 2 cases and used no masks. even if every single person had (access to) a mask in nyc they would still have the most cases. population density matters more than any other stat.

(*)correction, lying matters the most. zero tests = zero cases. density second.
[+]
By Draylo 2020-03-30 21:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply

They need to freeze rent for sure, especially in NYC. Sadly that wouldn't help me at all but I know a lot of people in very bad positions atm if they have to pay rent without a job lol.
By Afania 2020-03-30 22:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
is it really possible to compare individual aspects of response between countries with so much still up in the air variables wise?

-testing rate
-overall population
-speed of response for quarantine
-large scale mask usage
-vulnerability of population (age, conditions, access to health care,etc)

I don't think its possible to nail down one country's result vs another's based solely on mask usage. Can we compare the overall response and results between nations? Damn straight, and we should find out where the flaws were to improve upon in the future. Assign blame? If needed. But its a whole lot easier to assign blame vs fix things.

We test like mad and apply social distance here but nope, not slowing down one bit. =/ Face masks are the only major difference from what I've seen.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-30 22:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Stay in your house, and mask doesn't do anything. It doesn't float in the wind (technically).

Not every person in every situation needs to follow the same guidelines. I could walk out my door, lick every neighbor on my street and have next to zero fear of getting it. Ask someone in detroit, chicago, orlando, houston if they feel the same way.

When they say "don't wear masks" that's because it's a nationwide message and nationwide the majority get zero effect from a mask. All things are not equal. If you're in... Rural Idaho... the potatoes aren't going to give you Covid-19, you don't need a mask. If you're in Boise, you might want to mask up.

Also; most don't know ***about the masks. I see idiots running around in surgeons masks. That does not stop viral spread.

And then 2 months from now this is what we're going to see:

Let's try to minimize that, k? Please?
By Afania 2020-03-30 22:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Then they could make it clear by telling people that so people can decide when to wear one, instead of saying "hey it's useless".

If they are worried that we can not remove it correctly then make videos to educate people.

I mean, we are adults, not kids. It isn't tough to make decisions and learn how to use them on our own.

I feel all the "face masks are useless" excuses seem to assume everyone are idiots or kids lol.

Stay at home 24/7 isn't feasible realistically. Sometimes I DO need to get close to people for one reason after another (work, clinic, interact with a cashier at grocery store etc).

I'm quite sure Surgical Masks work for average people. That's the "standard" level of protective gears in some countries currently promoting face masks. In face Czech Republic promote even lower level (home made masks) than that.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-30 22:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't rationalize with Americans. you do have to treat them like children.

... or start shooting them for non-compliance.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-03-30 22:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

I haven't seen this personally (because I'm social distancing like a boss), but there are stories of people putting disposable masks and/or gloves before entering a store or wherever, doing their thing, and then taking them off when they leave the store and dropping them on the ground.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-30 22:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not that they end up on the ground, that's a shitty but easy fix. It's that they will end up in the ocean like everything else.

It's a much bigger problem than masks, and yeah masks will be a small contribution, but that's not an excuse to be ok with it.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-03-30 23:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not that they end up on the ground, that's a shitty but easy fix. It's that they will end up in the ocean like everything else.

It's a much bigger problem than masks, and yeah masks will be a small contribution, but that's not an excuse to be ok with it.

My comment was just a loosely-related anecdote. It's a symptom of being shut-in and bored. I just find it amusing that people can be so meticulous and cautious and yet be selfish slobs at the same time.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-31 00:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

"people". are. disgusting. (and that kinda works to our advantage sometimes, if we weren't we would get sick all the time)

These are the same people that needed to be reminded about hand washing. and to use soap when you do it. and how much time adequate washing takes.
By Prong 2020-03-31 00:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The entire reason why Asian countries did a much better job than NA against this viruses is because their government actually encourage people wear masks, not the other way around.

The issue I have with this is, I don't believe a ***' thing most Asian governments release to the rest of the world concerning issues within their own countries. Some of the most ethnocentric societies on the planet are Asian and they would not for one second be above lying about something like this to protect their country's, "honor."

I mean wow, China has already actually tried to blame the US military for covid-19 even though it clearly came from China. Now they say they have NO new cases coming from inland China? Complete and utter ***.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-31 01:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Amazon confirmed to CNBC that it fired Chris Smalls, a warehouse worker who organized a strike at its Staten Island facility on Monday.

He did test positive and come back to lead the strike anyway.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2020-03-31 01:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want pandemics to be dealt with like asian countries ... you'll have to abandon some of your rights and privacy.

I'm not completely against it, but governments will have full access to every piece of information about you. They can check things like your medical history or even if you purchased things like cough medicine with your credit/debit card and force you into quarantine. They also enforce penalties if you do not respect the rules, which can be fines or jail.

They have access to more information and they act very swiftly and enforce their rules. If masks are part of the equation, it's not significant compared to everything else.

thank *** I still use cash, lol
By Draylo 2020-03-31 02:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want pandemics to be dealt with like asian countries ... you'll have to abandon some of your rights and privacy.

I'm not completely against it, but governments will have full access to every piece of information about you. They can check things like your medical history or even if you purchased things like cough medicine with your credit/debit card and force you into quarantine. They also enforce penalties if you do not respect the rules, which can be fines or jail.

They have access to more information and they act very swiftly and enforce their rules. If masks are part of the equation, it's not significant compared to everything else.

Wow, people in Canada are that much of a push over? No, I'd never like to be in a country like China, thanks.
 Asura.Imoutosan
user: imoutosan
By Asura.Imoutosan 2020-03-31 06:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

in case you chuckleheads don't check out ff subreddits: https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/froxye/the_3rd_day_of_quarantine/

XD!

<3
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2020-03-31 07:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

I haven't seen this personally (because I'm social distancing like a boss), but there are stories of people putting disposable masks and/or gloves before entering a store or wherever, doing their thing, and then taking them off when they leave the store and dropping them on the ground.
I do this, but mine go into the trash...
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-03-31 07:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »

Wow, people in Canada are that much of a push over? No, I'd never like to be in a country like China, thanks.
38 million people in Canada. You judge us all based on 1 "IF, THEN" comment that you clearly misread. ok...

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Afania 2020-03-31 09:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Prong said: »
The entire reason why Asian countries did a much better job than NA against this viruses is because their government actually encourage people wear masks, not the other way around.

The issue I have with this is, I don't believe a ***' thing most Asian governments release to the rest of the world concerning issues within their own countries. Some of the most ethnocentric societies on the planet are Asian and they would not for one second be above lying about something like this to protect their country's, "honor."

I mean wow, China has already actually tried to blame the US military for covid-19 even though it clearly came from China. Now they say they have NO new cases coming from inland China? Complete and utter ***.

That's because China has an authoritarian government so they can do whatever they want.

Some Asian countries are democracy, it's much harder to "lie" about the numbers because people will demand transparency. That's how democracy works. People will place transparency above "honor".

"ethnocentric people" exists in every society, including NA. For example I would call Quebec even more ethnocentric than most Asian countries. But even then I trust the numbers from Quebec government. I also trust numbers from South Korea and Taiwan just as much.
By Afania 2020-03-31 09:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you talking about? Source? Your info is way wrong. There are no law that force people into quarantine if they purchased a cough medicine. Nor law that put people into jail AFAIK, just fine.

If getting a fine for breaking the rule is against human right, then Canada is against human right.

beta.ctvnews.ca/local/ottawa/2020/3/25/1_4868566.html

Gonna pay $1000 for having a party with friends, MY RIGHT. Lol.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-03-31 09:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Prong said: »

That's because China has an authoritarian government so they can do whatever they want.

Some Asian countries are democracy, it's much harder to "lie" about the numbers because people will demand transparency. That's how democracy works. People will place transparency above "honor".

"ethnocentric people" exists in every society, including NA. For example I would call Quebec even more ethnocentric than most Asian countries. But even then I trust the numbers from Quebec government. I also trust numbers from South Korea and Taiwan just as much.

Until there is a uniform % of testing done across countries the numbers are irrelevant. If China is testing 10% of its population and Great Britain is testing 40%, its unfair to say that China is doing a better job at containing the spread. If two countries are both testing 50% of their population but one has 500 million and one has 40 million, you can't say the 2nd country is "doing better".

The biggest lesson I've learned from all of this is how bad the average American is at math. I'm not directing this to ANYONE in this thread- its mostly at leadership, media, and other loudmouths who get the largest audience with the least reason for it.

1. Complete lack of understanding of the differences between Additive, Multiplicative, or Exponential growth.

2. Complete ignorance on comparative data and how to rightfully compare two data sets vs a 2nd grader counting two stacks of oranges and saying which is bigger.

I know some will see why I write here along with quoted posts above and think this is directed at them. It isn't. I quoted because I do completely agree that there isn't a single damn country in the world that I trust when it comes to numbers related to this. Either hiding numbers, or hiding poor response that leads to poor numbers- the reason doesn't matter but there's no uniformity between what's being released.
[+]
By Odinz 2020-03-31 09:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you seen the drive through tests in the US, Europe or UK yet?
nope?

China and South Korea and even the middle east are doing a better job.
By volkom 2020-03-31 09:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

there's drive through testing in Texas
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-03-31 10:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

and Washington, and Colorado, and Ohio.....we can continue....

was the US late? Damn straight. Are things happening to try and at least be marginally responsible? Yup. Is it enough? Not even close. But when a country can control all media leaving its country, its a whole lot easier to paint a unified picture of what you want people to see.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 37 38 39 ... 129 130 131