Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-08-12 11:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ask Sash:

Sash, What's my purpose?
[+]
By Asura.Kuroganashi 2020-08-28 01:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Worth or not worth? That is the question....... there is almost 0 info on what this belt actually does and how does it fair vs Moonbow belt +1
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-28 01:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Worth, but not in any way where you compare it to moonbow

Boost-Meditate when you're idle
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-08-28 01:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I may as well ask here since I might find my answer. So... every time I use boost, I'm basically stun-locked from doing nearly everything. My melee strikes won't begin. If I don't have TP to use a weapon skill, I'm locked out of doing anything for what feels like 20~30 seconds. Is this normal for Boost or is maybe a Windower add-on screwing with me? I keep it pretty close to vanilla except for a few plugins like TParty, distance, tickle, and plain stuff like that. Are you supposed to just stand there like a derp the entire duration of Boost? I don't use Gearswap or anything that changes gameplay like that. Just curious.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2020-08-28 01:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It's also awesome for being weak, or zombie-ing something. A few times I wiped to a NM around 5%, reraised threw on godhands, popped boost/temp items and smacked it with Howling Fist killing it.

Its definitely a niche item for down time, but it comes in handy.
 Asura.Kendlar
user: dropy
By Asura.Kendlar 2020-08-28 07:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Be sure to put on as much slow gear you can while boosting.
By Asura.Kuroganashi 2020-08-28 10:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
I may as well ask here since I might find my answer. So... every time I use boost, I'm basically stun-locked from doing nearly everything. My melee strikes won't begin. If I don't have TP to use a weapon skill, I'm locked out of doing anything for what feels like 20~30 seconds. Is this normal for Boost or is maybe a Windower add-on screwing with me? I keep it pretty close to vanilla except for a few plugins like TParty, distance, tickle, and plain stuff like that. Are you supposed to just stand there like a derp the entire duration of Boost? I don't use Gearswap or anything that changes gameplay like that. Just curious.
They changed Boost to stop you from normal attacks now only works for Weapon Skill boost (x4.0) I believe

So you Boost and the longer you wait before WS the more powerful it becomes, I don't like it, I miss the OLD Boost ._.
By Asura.Kuroganashi 2020-08-28 10:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Worth, but not in any way where you compare it to moonbow

Boost-Meditate when you're idle
Thank you
By kairyu 2020-08-28 11:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kuroganashi said: »
Asura.Aeonova said: »
They changed Boost to stop you from normal attacks now only works for Weapon Skill boost (x4.0) I believe

So you Boost and the longer you wait before WS the more powerful it becomes, I don't like it, I miss the OLD Boost ._.

This isn't 100% accurate - you can auto attack before boost wears off, if you're already engaged and don't perform any other actions/JAs before the duration of boost wears off. There's like a 1 second interval before the end of boost where your character will throw out a combat round (Or one punch, rather). Once again pretty niche, but it is quite funny to see a single punch hit for 8-20k. You will never see this stack with empy AM3/relic hidden effect however, as boost only works with your main hand in this regard whereas the aforementioned proc on your offhand.

Asura.Kendlar said: »

From my rudimentary testing, having a full 'slow' build for boost only offers a very nominal gain - maybe one/two more ticks. the best way to max your boost duration is to take off all your haste gear and save yourself 4 inventory slots (there's only 4 pieces of gear with 'Slow +%' that Monk can wear).

Ask sash is definitely worth it though as there's a lot of endgame content where you have periods of idle (Dyna-D, Omen, Ambuscade, Vagary, Odyssey, etc.)

EDIT: Also, if you boost+weaponskill and kill the mob, the delay to engage a different monster appears to be severely reduced. Haven't tested this - just speculative eyeballing.
By SimonSes 2020-08-28 12:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

kairyu said: »
This isn't 100% accurate - you can auto attack before boost wears off, if you're already engaged and don't perform any other actions/JAs before the duration of boost wears off. There's like a 1 second interval before the end of boost where your character will throw out a combat round (Or one punch, rather). Once again pretty niche, but it is quite funny to see a single punch hit for 8-20k. You will never see this stack with empy AM3/relic hidden effect however, as boost only works with your main hand in this regard whereas the aforementioned proc on your offhand.

..and this isnt 100% accurate either. It can stack with Veret AM3 and it actually stacks in best way possible, which is tripling whole damage. I already posted screen of this happening ages ago for fun...

Found the pic. The context for this was I think to make fun of people reacting with too much hype for Shining One, because they have seen few big numbers.

[+]
By kairyu 2020-08-28 13:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

..and this isnt 100% accurate either. It can stack with Veret AM3 and it actually stacks in best way possible, which is tripling whole damage. I already posted screen of this happening ages ago for fun...

Found the pic. The context for this was I think to make fun of people reacting with too much hype for Shining One, because they have seen few big numbers.

:o I stand corrected! Learned something new today.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Soyven
Server: Ragnarok
user: Soyven
By Ragnarok.Soyven 2020-08-28 13:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Empy AM3 and relic hidden affect, affect mainhand not offhand.

And whomever that monk shitting on shining one is... they should see a doctor about the bloody poop
By SimonSes 2020-08-28 14:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Soyven said: »
Empy AM3 and relic hidden affect, affect mainhand not offhand.

And whomever that monk shitting on shining one is... they should see a doctor about the bloody poop

Its a healthy dump. He just ate some beetroot.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-08-28 14:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kendlar said: ยป

From my rudimentary testing, having a full 'slow' build for boost only offers a very nominal gain - maybe one/two more ticks. the best way to max your boost duration is to take off all your haste gear and save yourself 4 inventory slots (there's only 4 pieces of gear with 'Slow +%' that Monk can wear).

Going to agree here: slow gear is near useless for boost. In my initial tests, it only produces about 1-2 extra ticks across weapons, less for the lower delay ones (and it's not always consistent). You also would need to remove all haste+% gear for the slow to actually do anything, and even then, it's not worth anything.

The best uses for boost:
Prebuffing Aftermath (vere)
Prebuffing tp for Shell crusher
Using it while weak for a free 2800~3000 tp (actually helps your DPS the most here, since your melee swings will be extremely slow)

I've gotten raised and was able to pull off some huge wsd after boosting to full, contributing just a little. Other than that, you don't use it during battle often
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-28 14:50:49
Link | Quote | Reply

When the conversation turns bloody over literal 1 dps having 2 extra ticks of free meditate is "incredible" absolutely not "near useless"

The monk with "perfect boost gear" vs the one without has an extra (potential) 10k damage head-start. That's game-breaking by this forums standards. And it doesn't require robotlike reaction to get it.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-08-28 15:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Only if you are limited to one boost. In nearly all groups I have been in, I can get two boosts off during buff time. Engage/one attack round gives you the same or more TP you would have gotten from the 4 slow pieces, and you don't have melee delay going directly to WS so you start at the same point. Of course in faster bugging groups, it would make small difference
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-28 15:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If you get two preboosts in, then your advantage is twice as large.

(I forget exactly how much regain you get from a boost, I don't use/have and it was like 6 months ago in the monk thread)

If you TP gear boost for 600 twice, you get 1200

If you Slow boost for 1200 twice, you're at AM3 almost instantly.

That's a gigantic difference in a 60 second zerg. If you prebuff with tacticians roll, ask sash doesn't do anything. (everything is situational)
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-08-28 15:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You get at least 1000 on all weapons before haste buffs (most parties start buffing few seconds after entry, ambuscade for example). If you get two boosts off before haste songs go up, which is not hard, you are right around the 2k mark at least. The only time you get 400-600 boost pet use is if you use it with full haste up, in which case you're not using it optimally to begin with. You can't airways control how quickly someone else will buff. It's not as much of a bonus as you make it seem in practice.

If you want easy slow gear, just unequip your gear before boosting since that's 25% attack speed penalty not in favor for boost. You will get 1-2 extra ticks out of it that way. The number is 3000. Any time both monks reach that value before either uses a WS, you can argue the gear didn't give you the advantage you were going for. I have done it many times in groups with other monks who didn't prebuff t the degree I did and it was not an automatic advantage to me.

I'm not discouraging anyone from using the gear if you want to minmax. It just doesn't do the advantage that people assume it does. Weakness is a different story.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-28 15:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

"in practice" aka "on paper" (the spreadsheet) is what this entire culture thrives on.

"If you're standing around for a full minute waiting on buffs, it really doesn't matter what the sash can do, it's already suboptimal, you lost a full minute."
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-08-28 17:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ask Zoltar.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-08-28 21:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

"in practice" aka "on paper" (the spreadsheet) is what this entire culture thrives on.

"If you're standing around for a full minute waiting on buffs, it really doesn't matter what the sash can do, it's already suboptimal, you lost a full minute."

I agree and I'm not even entertaining that ideology because it can be debated into perpetuity, and it can apply to anything really. It just goes back and forth forever.

I'm only clarifying the narrative behind justifying actually needing to carry slow gear for boost. An average player might read that comment above and mistakenly think they need to collect the 4 pieces for boost and assume it was giving much more of a bonus than it really is (if any). All of this without ever fully understanding how Boost even works. I have had players ask me all the time about Boost, how it works why they get varying tp values from it with Ask Sash, etc; the last thing they need to read is they need to carry 4 extra pieces of gear for Boost and they have no idea how to use it properly.

Like I stated, if minmaxing is your thing and spreadsheets/automation dictate your playstyle, go for it.

edit: Also I missed this because I was reading from my phone when I responded

If you Slow boost for 1200 twice, you're at AM3 almost instantly.

The math doesn't work that way. You do not gain a doubled effect from wearing slow gear vs no slow gear. There are only 4 pieces of slow gear MNK can use with Boost. I made the set right around the time the sash came out

ItemSet 374018

You need to use this set *without* Haste buffs or haste gear to attain max potency, and the value is only +17% total. You will never get double boost potency using the gear vs not in any scenario (because 17% slow is not enough of an attack speed penalty to give double tp from a Boost), so you won't have that kind of an advantage you stated ever, unless one person was weak and the other was not.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-28 21:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, they're out there using luas that they don't even know what it does.

Optimize is the name of the game. 3/4 are just 20k AH garbage, there's no good reason not to grab em.

edit for the edit: no buff, max gear haste boost is ~5 ticks? Max slow gear, no buff is, 8~9 ticks? That is basically double.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-08-28 21:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It's also been a while since I tested this, but iirc, slow+% gear does nothing for at least verethragna if you are haste capped (marches, haste). Boost effect is so short, you don't get the extra tick from the Slow+% gear because delay is so quick. Can't remember all of the weapons TP value/boost durations exactly cuz I threw away my tests, but I concluded that the slow+17% (while naked) was too insignificant of a speed penalty to overcome the haste I had from buffs to actually give me an extra tick. So for at least one scenario that I could remember, those 4 pieces of gear literally did not add one tick.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-08-28 22:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

edit for the edit: no buff, max gear haste boost is ~5 ticks? Max slow gear, no buff is, 8~9 ticks? That is basically double.

Eiryl this is not a fair comparison. The topic is about carrying slow+% gear for Boost vs Not, both players can de-equip gear prior to boosting for the most possible bonus to Regain, so you have to compare scenarios against that. so its really
max slow gear (rest naked) no buff VS completely naked (no slow gear) no buff

I just grabbed the gear i had on my mule

Verethragna
(I added ~ because it does take a short time for icon to appear and it starts to tick down from there, so the number is slightly higher than displayed in game)

Full gear: 16~17s Boost Duration, 1000TP return
No gear: 20~21s Boost Duration, 1400 TP return
Slow gear(naked: 22~23s Boost Duration, 1400 TP return

The last two scenarios, +17% slow only added 2 seconds boost duration, was not enough to give any extra TP. The middle scenario obviously gained an extra 2 ticks, perhaps lucky or it gave +200 TP exactly at the 17s mark and 20s mark, and the first scenario possibly didn't reward any extra TP from the last tick. The gain is not double in any scenario for Verethragna any weapon

Godhands (will gain the largest bonus from slow gear due to delay)

max slow - 26s 1800tp
naked (no slow) 23s=1400tp
full gear 17s=1200tp
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2020-08-28 23:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

what you really need is slowga & elegy on you. that's the real key to max regain.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-28 23:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I said this before but there was no answer last time.

Couldn't you equip relic knuckles > boost > equip normal weapon and get the full 3k. You should even catch the first tick since packets are so fast.

If so, that would be a worthwhile piece (singular) instead of 4 pieces of slow+
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-08-29 00:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Boost wears off the moment you swap weapons.