VA Bill No. 64
By Jetackuu 2019-12-01 00:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+SB64+hil

tl;dr said:
SENATE BILL NO. 64
Offered January 8, 2020
Prefiled November 21, 2019
A BILL to amend and reenact § 18.2-433.2 of the Code of Virginia, relating to paramilitary activities; penalty.
----------
Patron-- Lucas
----------
Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
----------

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That § 18.2-433.2 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:

§ 18.2-433.2. Paramilitary activity prohibited; penalty.

A person shall be is guilty of unlawful paramilitary activity, punishable as a Class 5 felony if he:

1. Teaches or demonstrates to any other person the use, application, or making of any firearm, explosive, or incendiary device, or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons, knowing or having reason to know or intending that such training will be employed for use in, or in furtherance of, a civil disorder; or

2. Assembles with one or more persons for the purpose of training with, practicing with, or being instructed in the use of any firearm, explosive, or incendiary device, or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons, intending to employ such training for use in, or in furtherance of, a civil disorder; or

3. Assembles with one or more persons with the intent of intimidating any person or group of persons by drilling, parading, or marching with any firearm, any explosive or incendiary device, or any components or combination thereof.

2. That the provisions of this act may result in a net increase in periods of imprisonment or commitment. Pursuant to § 30-19.1:4 of the Code of Virginia, the estimated amount of the necessary appropriation cannot be determined for periods of imprisonment in state adult correctional facilities; therefore, Chapter 854 of the Acts of Assembly of 2019 requires the Virginia Criminal Sentencing Commission to assign a minimum fiscal impact of $50,000. Pursuant to § 30-19.1:4 of the Code of Virginia, the estimated amount of the necessary appropriation cannot be determined for periods of commitment to the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice.

I apologize if this was brought up already, I glanced titles and didn't see it.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2019-12-01 09:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Hasn't been. Interesting.

Thanks.
By Jetackuu 2019-12-01 10:43:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean I get it, they're trying to find ways to punish militias if another Shitsville,VA happens. Sounds like revenue generation to me though, as few would have a way to fight the charges (even though the burden of proof of "intent" on the state is high). But hey.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2019-12-01 11:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like the wording of 1 would make safety classes harder to find, meaning uneducated people with guns. There's also the thing about blaming the instructor for the crimes of the student, this can lead to cases of profiling and rejection of proper training.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-12-01 11:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Reads like they're scared of having a hong kong situation over here, isn't the whole point of the second amendment to allow people the ability to uprise against an unjust government? Banning the teaching of firearms skills to anyone who may use them for civil disorder seems a bit counter to that, and awfully pro-government.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-12-01 11:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
isn't the whole point of the second amendment to allow people the ability to uprise against an unjust government?

Indeed, and it is totally fascist, I was just alluding to why they pushed the bill the first time (awhile back) and they're trying to do it again.

It's always about control.

@Girlboy: Indeed, it borders on thought crimes. Something any sane individual would be against.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-12-01 11:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure the criminals are going to comply to this law.
[+]
By Viciouss 2019-12-01 13:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
isn't the whole point of the second amendment to allow people the ability to uprise against an unjust government?

Indeed, and it is totally fascist, I was just alluding to why they pushed the bill the first time (awhile back) and they're trying to do it again.

@Girlboy: Indeed, it borders on thought crimes. Something any sane individual would be against.

Because they took complete control of the legislature and Governor's Mansion, so now they can pass whatever laws they want.
By Jetackuu 2019-12-01 14:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I know. I would still be kind of surprised if it got enough votes, with the moderates anyway.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-12-01 14:27:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe that is just me being hopeful, who knows.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2019-12-01 14:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

No, its about the founding fathers did not want a standing army. Therefore the "well regulated militia" bit.

This is about Charlottesville. Its more about controlling behavior than controlling guns.

And yes, it does border on thought crime.
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2019-12-01 14:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The entire purpose of a militia is to challenge a tyrannical government and overthrow it. It sounds like this is a nice loophole to challenge all militia and deem them terrorist.

I say this would get challenged in SCOTUS and be denied.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-12-01 15:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »

Because they took complete control of the legislature and Governor's Mansion, so now they can pass whatever laws they want.

Except for unconstitutional ones.

But hey, I encourage them to try. It's this kind of behavior that causes parties to lose complete control.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2019-12-01 17:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Viciouss said: »

Except for unconstitutional ones.

But hey, I encourage them to try. It's this kind of behavior that causes parties to lose complete control.
Oh come on. Unconstitutional laws are regularly passed. The forced birth movement has gotten dozens passed in the last two years. The gun control movement has passed their share as well.
By Jetackuu 2019-12-01 17:04:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, like literally every gun control law.

Unconstitutional crap is all over the books, people often forget that it is supposed to be difficult to pass laws.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2019-12-01 21:56:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Would a Proposed Virginia Law Outlaw Martial Arts and Firearms Training?
An amendment to a law that was already on the books makes no mention of key points raised on junk-news sites.

Snopes

Rated false.

But then again its the most extreme reactions that they are rating false.
By Jetackuu 2019-12-01 22:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean Snopes can say it's false all it wants, it's really what a cop/DA want to push and what little the little man can fight against the revenue generation.

It's not a matter of "key points raised on junk-news sites" I literally posted the proposed law, what it intends and can be used for is quite clear, and that includes both of those things, if the system so desired.
[+]
By Viciouss 2019-12-01 23:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Even the OP says it's just an amendment to a law already on the books.
By Jetackuu 2019-12-01 23:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye amend and reenact. Messed up part is it's not the only law they're trying to push.
[+]