A Challenge From Lion! Part 2 Commences Today!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » A Challenge from Lion! Part 2 Commences Today!
A Challenge from Lion! Part 2 Commences Today!
First Page 2
By Uhahguru 2019-11-19 02:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

A Challenge from Lion! Part 2 Commences Today! (11/19/2019)

Source.

Emerge victorious from the trial posed to you by Lion and her allies and upgrade your Norgish Dagger into an even better version!

Event Period

Special Battlefield "A Fond Farewell"
Starting Tuesday, November 19, at 12:00 a.m. (PST)

* You will be able to attempt the battlefield whenever you like as long as you possess an unused trigger item.

Location, Bosses, and Entry Restrictions

Bosses: Lion, Aldo, and Zeid
One to Six-Person Party
Level 99

Item Require for Entry to A Fond Farewell:

Zinnia Orb
This item can be obtained in exchange for login points during the November 2019 Login Campaign.

* It is currently undecided if or when this item will be able to be obtained once the November 2019 Login Campaign's item exchange period has concluded.

Read on for details on the November 2019 Login Campaign.

Rewards

Clearing A Fond Farewell will reward players with one Lion's Roar item.
Synergizing a Lion's Roar and a Norgish Dagger, obtainable from the battlefield True Love, will yield one Esikuva.

<<Required Skill Rank: Amateur>>
Item Required Synthesis Skills Materials
Esikuva - Lion's Roar, Norgish Dagger
[+]
By Uhahguru 2019-11-19 02:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Zeid hit Yoran trust for 58k, hit me for 43k, and August trust for 24k.
By alamihgo 2019-11-19 03:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhahguru said: »
Zeid hit Yoran trust for 58k, hit me for 43k, and August trust for 24k.
This, but not right away for me.

MNK/WAR, Yoran, AAEV, Joachim, Koru, AATT.
Engaged Lion first. AATT Sleepga stuck consistently on Lion and Aldo, but Zeid resisted every time. Lion used Perfect Dodge multiple times in addition to her Trust skills. Walk the Plank is an AoE full dispel. While Aldo snoozed, Zeid walked around hitting Yoran and AAEV for trivial damage. Does normal DRK stuff. Ground Strike and Shockwave are favored WS.

About 3 minutes in, Lion was half dead and Zeid was starting to get annoying. Voked Zeid and popped Counterstance. Pretty safe; Lion was kicking her own *** and Zeid was easy prey except for the Shockwave spam. Around 6 minutes into the fight and 50-60% Zeid HP, he did an auto-attack for 29846 damage out of nowhere. No buff, no chat - nothing. Classic Zeid.
 Asura.Barone
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Barone
By Asura.Barone 2019-11-19 03:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

NIN tank seems best, BLU is good for DD but anything else with shadows also works.

Lion has very high DT and has some pretty ripe TP moves.

We got the first two dead pretty easily but wiped on Lion because a pet woke them.

Base on experience today I'd recommend probably the following for setup;

NIN XXX XXX [THF / BLU / DNC]
WHM GEO BRD

No need to melee on BRD, probably best to have them sit on the sidelines with /WHM in case Zeid sleeps.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-11-19 04:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not getting what the difference is with the "powered up" Esikuva Dagger, compared to the Norgish One
 Quetzalcoatl.Javarr
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Javarr 2019-11-19 05:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I can tell with Zeid, it didn't show up in the log, but pretty sure I saw a Souleater animation go off right before I got blown into the dirt while trying to solo a bit ago. Might be a tell for it coming. Also, apparently Zied can hit a Ground Strike from about 15-20' out. Was running out to try and disrupt their skill chaining and after a few seconds he wacked me with it. Not sure if gimmick or just latency. Pretty sure Latency.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-11-19 07:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

alamihgo said: »
he did an auto-attack for 29846 damage out of nowhere

Is it possible it was an innate Souleater proc? Coupled with Counterstance.

Esikuva looks like a re-color of the original. That's about all I can tell.
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2019-11-19 07:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you still do part 1 even though they've released part 2? I haven't done anything yet.

Thanks
By Uhahguru 2019-11-19 07:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, only need the orb to enter the battlefield.
By Bella2019 2019-11-19 09:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

https://imgur.com/7r8CnmC

pld
drg
nin
blu
rdm
geo

:D
By Torzak 2019-11-19 09:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't usually use Lion as a trust. Doesn't she have a strange blur effect when you call her? Maybe the dagger does that?
By Bella2019 2019-11-19 11:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Dagger does not have that sadly.

https://imgur.com/G2UexHI
[+]
 Sylph.Traxus
Server: Sylph
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2019-11-19 11:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Soloable by blu. Aldo and lion can be slept indefinitely. Zeid souleater will oneshot but he can't do anything vs shadows + stun lock. Lion takes a while to kill with perfect dodge spam/counter/dispel/stun but she doesn't do much damage with DT gear/cocoon/trust phalanx.

Dagger is just a reskin of the one from the previous BC as far as I can tell, no glow or anything.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-11-19 12:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, it requires the first dagger to make the second, but the original BC is repeatable with the orb from Login Points. At the very least, 2 free 180 delay/1dmg daggers for RDM enspell/0tp feed
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2019-11-19 17:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

For anyone that soloed, did you leave Lion for last? Because I took down Zeid and then Aldo without much trouble, and then started to fight Lion and she just went absolutely nuts with TP move spam and took me out pretty fast. Reraised/engaged again and was oneshot by a tp move as soon as I engaged

Edit: I guess I was wondering if she got harder if her friends were taken out first :x

Here is a screencap from after my second death when I died in range and gave up so I reraised just for the heck of it and again a TP move as her first thing:

So... she gets mean after her friends die or is she the hard one from the start? idk, don't feel like trying again right now.
 Sylph.Traxus
Server: Sylph
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2019-11-19 18:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I killed zeid > aldo > lion. Was TPing in capped DT. One of her TP moves does def/mdef down, you want to get that off ASAP.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2019-11-19 18:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

K, she definitely goes super mode if she's left for last, because her tp moves are doing 4 to 8 times less dmg now that I'm fighting her second

We will see soon if Aldo goes super mode at the end too so it's just whoever is left for last is tougher
 Asura.Rutman
user: Rutman
By Asura.Rutman 2019-11-19 21:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I'm getting ready to attempt this fight. From the looks of previous attempts it may be best to get all 3 down to low HP and then kill them 1 by 1 quickly at the end. Has anyone tried this method?
 Shiva.Dayone
Server: Shiva
user: day1
By Shiva.Dayone 2019-11-20 08:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sleeping cert
Asura.Rutman said: »
So, I'm getting ready to attempt this fight. From the looks of previous attempts it may be best to get all 3 down to low HP and then kill them 1 by 1 quickly at the end. Has anyone tried this method?

Sleeping makes this possible but not so effective considering how Lion will continually wipe all buffs.

We just did Zeid > Lion > Aldo
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2019-11-20 09:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Zeid then Lion then Aldo seems like the best way to do it.
 Lakshmi.Sleekmotorwurkz
By Lakshmi.Sleekmotorwurkz 2019-11-20 10:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried to solo yesterday on DNC. AAEV, Sylvie, Koru, Kupipi, Shantotto2. No problems at all taking down Zeid. Incoming damage wasnt unmanageable. Went to Aldo and after a few seconds got one-shot by Choreographed Carnage.
Are all 3 capable of one-shot damage from the start and I just got lucky while fighting Zeid? Do they only get stronger when one dies? or progressively as they all get lower in hp?
And even more importantly - why am I doing this bcnm?
 Shiva.Dayone
user: day1
By Shiva.Dayone 2019-11-20 10:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried this with 2 different setups.

PLD/nin, DRK/nin, brd, whm, rdm, cor
DRK/nin x2, BRD, WHM, RDM, COR. (Faster)

Zeid:
[Approach: Shadow tanking zerg]
Zeid with shadows was pretty easy and with another DD it was easy to bounce just in case he did souleater (we killed before he had a chance). SlowII, Elegy was great, as well as Caster's Roll for fastcast if DD aren't capped for utsusemi. He can do shadowstich, which takes 2 shadows (IIRC on this fight).

Lion:
[Approach: Just fight]
Does an AOE full debuff. AM and food stay ofc. Having your BRD continually recast songs is annoying but helps. With a nominal (50%) DT set, you should be fine to straight tank even without buffs.

Aldo:
[Full rebuff and debuff]
Hits the hardest outside of Zeid, but silence seemed to calm it down a lot. Still does pretty good single target and AOE dmg. Doesn't take too long and a DRK with apoc can solo while staying safe with catastrophe if WHM can't keep up.

Overall took about 10 minutes for all 3 with the full party.

This was pretty fun, glad we decided to do this :)
By alamihgo 2019-11-20 12:20:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sleekmotorwurkz said: »
Are all 3 capable of one-shot damage from the start and I just got lucky while fighting Zeid? Do they only get stronger when one dies? or progressively as they all get lower in hp?
Only Zeid clocks you for 30k. My guess is soft enrage or dumb luck because I couldn't find a particular HP trigger and it only happens to me >5min after engaging. Blitz him or blink him.

Damage ramps up significantly for whoever's left standing after a KO. Zeid's galka rage notwithstanding, the safest approach would be 3 DDs coordinating simultaneous KOs.

Lakshmi.Sleekmotorwurkz said: »
And even more importantly - why am I doing this bcnm?
Increases your FPS.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2019-11-20 13:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

So I just waltzed in completely unprepared for the fight and was almost done killing Aldo when I saw Zeid pop Souleater. He 100% does say it in the log and he does the animation followed by Blood Weapon. He Blood Weapons more than once in the fight but I died before I could see if he does Souleater more than once. Their abilities don't seem to be tied to just their own HP bar at any rate since I hadn't hit him at all when he decided to kill me lol.

Anyway, here's the screenshots of him using it:

Carbuncle.Papesse
Server: Carbuncle
user: Papesse
By Carbuncle.Papesse 2019-11-21 04:01:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting them all down to low HP before finishing them off or killing Zeid first then Aldo + Lion at the same time seems to be the safest approach indeed. They are very weak at the beginning but gets stronger each time one of them is defeated, the last member alive also gets the ability to use 2 TP moves in a row.
Shockstorm Edge on Garuda: 468 (no enemy killed) > 937 (after 1 kill) > 1406 (after 2 kills)
Walk the Plank: 441 > 883 > 1324
About x2 then x3 damage boost it seems.
[+]
By Torzak 2019-11-21 10:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM/NIN and BLU/xxx duo yesterday. I was about to solo it when someone asked to team up.

The BLU died a few times. I raised them once or twice and they were using some reraise item, too. I think they waited until weakness wore each time before trying to get back into it. I tried to toss them Refresh III and phalanx etc a few times, but honestly, they were taxing me more than helping me. I did appreciate the DPS addition on Zeid, though, but after Zeid and with the deaths, and by extension the Apururu MP spent on cures, protect, shell on the BLU, they just weren't very helpful - no offense.

I used a DT set through the whole fight + Miso Ramen.

(**Edit** Alter Ego Campaign for context - in case this thread is referenced in the future **End Edit**) I used Brygid, Joach, Ulmia, and Apururu. I hasted/refreshed Joach and Apururu, but I think I only maintained Refresh on Joach. Apururu seemed ok on MP, mostly.

Killed Zeid first while keeping Lion & Aldo asleep. I made liberal use of enfeebles, to include Blind II because I saw a few misses - It did seem to help using 4/5 of Malignance set as a RDM for physical evasion. Nothing major, but noticeable amount of misses paired with Blind II. I imagine a Mambo/Blind would've made evasion a possible good approach for Zeid. Made decent use of Utsusemi when I'd see him popping abilities.

Took Aldo to 2% and then swapped to Lion. Liberal use of enfeebles again, this time no Dia use on the account that I knew I wanted to sleep him based on early reading in this thread of some kind of possible power up for the last one standing. I didn't use Utsu on him. Felt like he was a joke to face tank.

Swapped to Lion, slept Aldo. I renewed sleeps as necessary, though one was a real pain in the butt because Aldo can use Utsusemi and I wasn't trying to strip shadows with Diaga haha. I had to Reengage Aldo to strip shadows so I could sleep him once - all other resleeps were painless. With Phalanx up, everything she does almost, hits for zero. Again liberal use of enfeebles and to include Dia III. She started mass buff wipe spam which seemed to have a knockback component to it when I got her to maybe 60%. Before that, I think she only did the buffwipe once? I've no idea if that's regular for her or if it's more random how she does the buffwipe/knockback attack. I can only say that for me, it seemed like she threw an absolute fit spamming it around 60%, and then gave up on it around 15%. I used a wall to minimize the knockback and I prioritized Phalanx as my first buff, followed by Haste II, followed by Refresh III. I did have to convert once while fighting her when she was at lower HP% because I had used entirely too much MP redoing buffs like Protect/Shell etc the first few buff wipes. I settled into only doing Phalanx, Haste II, Refresh III after a few buff wipes, because it seemed to be optimal in terms of time spent buffing and trying to still dish out dmg, and her just wiping everything again, anyway. At some point I looked at the time left in the fight and saw that I was nearing time out, and I noticed she hadn't wiped my buffs for seemingly longer than the several times before, so I put up Temper II and Enspell and finished her off with no more buff wipes. I did have to Cure III myself a few times (3?) in the last 10% of Lion's HP as Apururu was down to casting Cure1 on me haha. I think Apururu needlessly spent a lot of MP trying to Pro/Shell on those buffwipes. I say needlessly because Lion was mostly harmless if I kept phalanx up.

The BLU cheered me on through the last ~10% of Lion. And then I turned to Aldo and finished him off.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2019-11-21 10:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Possibly silly question, but has any one tried dispelling Zeid's souleater? Bloodweapon is an SP, so it should be undispellable. But souleater should be a regular JA buff unless they specifically modified it on Zeid for this fight
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-11-21 10:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Zeid is a dark knight, and a galka. If SE is sticking true to those stereotypes, a simple blind spell should be enough to make him whiff every hit.

(I would laugh if there was some funny inside-joke gimmick to these series of fights)
[+]
 Bismarck.Rwolf
Server: Bismarck
user: Rwolf
By Bismarck.Rwolf 2019-11-21 11:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Can confirm they can use SP abilities freely. Every time Aldo would wake up for me he would cast shadows and Mikage.
First Page 2