Rag Worth Making?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Rag worth making?
Rag worth making?
 Shiva.Anoq
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Lawson
By Shiva.Anoq 2019-06-01 11:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Been back from an extended break and wanted to upgrade my DRK and WAR a bit. Always loved Rag, but it seems to have fallen off. Almost never see Rag any more on my server, it's either Empy GS or Aeonic/Relic Scythe. Problem is I am already working on Aeonic and Empy for other jobs. Rag seems like an easy/cheaper option for a decent wpn on DRK and WAR. Is it really that bad that it isn't even worth making?
By Nariont 2019-06-01 11:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Rags big appeal was the high acc, due to gear creep and gs with better delay with similar acc levels(raetic, zulf) that use has fallen off and if accs not a concern, montante/latent up raetic will overtake rag in dps.

Oh and nerfs to mob evasion levels, also had a big part in rags acc not being as useful as it was before
 Sylph.Banhammer
Server: Sylph
user: Banhammer
By Sylph.Banhammer 2019-06-01 11:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Cata for DRK and Chango for WAR.
 Bahamut.Nebohh
Server: Bahamut
user: Kealohaa
By Bahamut.Nebohh 2019-06-01 12:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it useful? YES

Is it Best in slot for DRK or WAR? NO

Pros: High ACC and cheap to make.

Cons: It's not BiS for damage across the board.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2019-06-01 12:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly just go with a zulf. or a montante+1 in the interim. Raetic +1 for short escha fights.

If you have a pulse weapon, the Ambu GAXE is a decent choice if you don't have a REMA for DRK.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Anoq
By Shiva.Anoq 2019-06-01 14:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, thanks for your input all. I have Mont+1 and Zulf with 28dmg/5str/6acc/23atk/2%dbl atk. Guess I'll just keep those until I decide to work on something better. Makes me sad most of the Relics have fallen off so hard.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-06-01 14:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Anoq said: »
Alright, thanks for your input all. I have Mont+1 and Zulf with 28dmg/5str/6acc/23atk/2%dbl atk. Guess I'll just keep those until I decide to work on something better. Makes me sad most of the Relics have fallen off so hard.

Moderately unrelated to Ragnarok, but with the RP system implemented with Dynamis-Divergence, some relics got a new lease on life. Don't be too quick to lump 'em all in the garbage heap.
[+]
 Asura.Chaostaru
Server: Asura
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-06-01 14:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Is ambu great sword better than Monte+1?
ambu gs is hot garbage.
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2019-06-01 14:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Shiva.Anoq said: »

Moderately unrelated to Ragnarok, but with the RP system implemented with Dynamis-Divergence, some relics got a new lease on life. Don't be too quick to lump 'em all in the garbage heap.

Yeah, but that is still a huge gil investment compared to other weapons that are usable with just AG.
 Bahamut.Nebohh
Server: Bahamut
user: Kealohaa
By Bahamut.Nebohh 2019-06-01 15:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Don’t be quick to dismiss relics especially after you’ve taken them to R15. I R15’d my Apoc cuz I’m DRK at heart. Will it beat my R15 caladbolg? No. But that’s not the point. Apoc with keeping up Drain 3, will make you very hard to kill and at the same time do some decent damage.
[+]
By volkom 2019-06-01 15:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Rag is pretty decent. If you're making a relic tho, make apoc first. But if you want to walk the torcleaver path, then only work on a cala
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-06-01 16:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

Yeah, but that is still a huge gil investment compared to other weapons that are usable with just AG.

Any weapon that's "usable" with just AG is just going to get better once you throw the swarts at it. The only difference being how much better it gets. Some weapons grow a bit, others, like several relics, grow a metric ***. Once they're all RP15, things tend to even out a great deal.

I don't know a great deal about DRK weaponry options. My specialty is marksmanship/archery. A great example I can give is that pre-RP Fomalhaut was an absolute beast, king of physical damage in the Ranger arsenal. Annihilator was a niche weapon when dealing with either old-zone enmity rules or a fight where pulling hate means insta-death for your party/alliance. After RP, Fomalhaut grows, yes, just a smidge in terms of power. It gains some nice racc, so no shame there. On the other hand, Annihilator gains some much-needed STP and a helluva lot of base damage to Coronach(weaponskill attached to it), making it pull closer to the overall damage output of Fomalhaut while keeping you off the enemy's radar.

I'm not saying Ragnarok is one of these. But there are a couple standouts. And saying that weapon is "good enough as is" at just AG level is a lazy way of approaching it.
[+]
By Nariont 2019-06-01 17:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I would imagine that statement is in regards to rag vs other gs remas, which is accurate, rags largely a white dmg sword outside of the acc niche and any job on cala will get a better white dmg from that. And war could just use ukon if it needed white dmg

Now it does have some small use in that scourge is the only fusion ws gs gets, whether that justifies its use is up to you
 Shiva.Anoq
By Shiva.Anoq 2019-06-01 23:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah wasn't trying to dismiss/disrespect relics, I have some myself. Just saying in the greater scheme of things, most of the time they are weaker than their EMA counterparts, and that's a bit depressing imo. In the case of Ragnarok verses some other DRK weapons it seems that holds true. Thanks again for all the help and opinions everyone. Gave me stuff to think about.