Forum » FFXI » NMs » Under Observation: The Way of the Ninja
Under Observation: The Way of the Ninja
 Gilgamesh.Tousou
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Toufu
By Gilgamesh.Tousou 2009-10-10 06:24:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Due to my inability to find BLMs (and the fact that we usually fail my orb) I've been leveling NIN to 40 so I can give the NIN burn a try.

NIN40, Ni Wheel, Evasion Gear, Buffer. Aside from my uncapped 114 skill, I believe I'm set.

So to the point: Exactly what should I expect? What would be the "best" SJ? How will my damage output look? And of course, anything else that could help my first run go smoothely?

And yes, I'm paranoid of screwing up D:
 Caitsith.Tusarithe
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Tusarithe 2009-10-10 06:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

First and foremost, for a successful run, get a RDM with kiting experience.

As for NIN vs. compound eyes, just turn your back, run the wheel and recast utsusemi the couple times it drops. The RDM kites the sobbing eye until each NIN kills his/her respective compound eye. The sobbing eye requires a bit more team coordination. Then the NIN tagteam the sobbing eye with the RDM tossing cures as needed. The 2 NIN wanna be as far apart as possible (to avoid firaga or breakga catchin you both) and still reach the mob with nukes. WHile the RDM wants to be as far from each NIN as possible and still reach them with cures.

I would recommend you use INT+ gear and go /RDM (for INT and magic att and barfire, plus cures never hurt). Since most of your shadows will get stripped with magic and not melee, the evasion really won't help you a whole lot, but where you can't get INT prolly best to use +HP if you have it. With a good INT build, which is rather limited @40 especially for NIN, you can expect 105-110 for an unresisted nuke.

As long as both NINs keep their backs to the eyes and the RDM remembers to run before convert(if needed), its pretty hard to fail. Keep barfire up at all times when fighting the sobbing eye, it may not be much but a couple resisted firagas make the run go alot smoother. The RDM only needs to keep the sobbing busy long enough for the compound eyes to die, not a difficult task. Keep gravity on and throw bind when its up and should only make it about halfway back to the entrance before the compound eyes die.

I recommend /RDM, but it really doesn't matter to be honest. I've also seen it done successfully /BLM, /WHM, /WAR, /THF, /DNC and /SCH. As for RDM, most go /WHM, but I've also seen it done /BLM, /NIN, and /SCH
 Gilgamesh.Tousou
By Gilgamesh.Tousou 2009-10-10 07:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

After looking over the Subs I have, I'm thinking /RDM for my sub. Fast Cast (And my Kyahan) will help with timers, Resist Petrify for Breakga, and of course, MAB. I also put on some junk INT rings to add another +5. I think I have some melon pies molding somewhere, so that'll bring me up to +9. The downside is my lack of Barfire, though. I never bothered with those scrolls :x

Anywho, that response was perfect. Thanks ^^
 Gilgamesh.Mairah
user: Mairah
By Gilgamesh.Mairah 2009-10-10 07:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL Tou, Must you always be so dramatic? "The way of the ninja"

LOL
 Seraph.Octaviusc
Server: Seraph
user: Octaviusc
By Seraph.Octaviusc 2009-10-10 09:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely go nin/rdm for this. I tried to convince a guy I went with to sub rdm but he insisted on subbing blm. Blm is all well and good, but then he screwed up and got paralyzed and started getting hit unable to cure himself. You can figure out the rest.....
My point is, Rdm adds enough INT for you and doubles as a good way to keep yourself alive in an emergency. GL!
 Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu
user: Kunimitsu
By Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu 2009-10-10 10:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

heyhey i got seals just waiting to be used AND 75blm D: or i can kite on rdm if you really wanna do it that way =/
 Bahamut.Dracondria
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-10-10 10:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

NIN/BLM works fine if you're not stupid. Always have your back turned and you'll be fine. Elemental Seal Jubaku works very well at the start to pull one of them and then just run into the arena and fight it. You don't really need any evasion gear at all if you use Yonin and you're reasonably good at timing shadows. It's a very simple BCNM if you go with a RDM that can kite. Some guides say "Don't underestimate the power of Drain" but it always does ***damage for me even with capped Dark Magic so, to me, it's a waste of time.
 Gilgamesh.Tousou
By Gilgamesh.Tousou 2009-10-10 10:17:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Kunimitsu said:
heyhey i got seals just waiting to be used AND 75blm D: or i can kite on rdm if you really wanna do it that way =/

Sorry Kuni, I gave up BLM burn when I ended up with people who didn't have Stonega II. I've failed UO tons of times because of crap like that. In addition, I've never gotten a Ni drop. I'm hoping today my luck will change.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-10-10 10:23:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand how anyone can fail at BLM UO. I've done it before being the only BLM with Stonega II and had no issues.
 Gilgamesh.Tousou
By Gilgamesh.Tousou 2009-10-10 10:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Excesspain said:
I don't understand how anyone can fail at BLM UO.

Just lucky, I guess.
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-10 11:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Dracondria said:
NIN/BLM works fine if you're not stupid. Always have your back turned and you'll be fine. Elemental Seal Jubaku works very well at the start to pull one of them and then just run into the arena and fight it. You don't really need any evasion gear at all if you use Yonin and you're reasonably good at timing shadows. It's a very simple BCNM if you go with a RDM that can kite. Some guides say "Don't underestimate the power of Drain" but it always does ***damage for me even with capped Dark Magic so, to me, it's a waste of time.

While /blm is fine, I don't see why anyone would prefer it to rdm? You get the same level of MAB but lose out on cures and fast cast, for what? 1 more base INT? hardly worth it. Warp isn't even arguable tbh since nin can just 2hr when they're done.
 Gilgamesh.Tousou
By Gilgamesh.Tousou 2009-10-10 11:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Did pretty good my first run. We got 3 wins, but unfortunately 1 Ni drop (Not mine).

Interesting note, though, I was only doing like 87ish damage per nuke. I must be doing something wrong or not stacking enough INT
 Asura.Hit
Server: Asura
user: FFXIHit
By Asura.Hit 2009-10-10 11:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Vegetto said:
Dracondria said:

While /blm is fine, I don't see why anyone would prefer it to rdm? You get the same level of MAB but lose out on cures and fast cast, for what? 1 more base INT? hardly worth it. Warp isn't even arguable tbh since nin can just 2hr when they're done.

True, I static this with my gf and brother, so warp is nice to get back to jeuno quickly w/o having to worry about 2 hour timer.
 Asura.Hit
By Asura.Hit 2009-10-10 11:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Hit said:
Vegetto said:
Dracondria said:

True, I static/spam this with my gf and brother, so warp is nice to get back to jeuno quickly w/o having to worry about 2 hour timer.
 Bahamut.Dracondria
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-10-10 12:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I like being able to warp to get new orbs because when I went with my static we did about 10 runs and warp helped cut down the time it took to run around a lot. Got 3 PCCs and 3 Ni so it's a very good BCNM for gil. I prefer doing it with friends and splitting instead of your orb your drop.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-10-10 14:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Dracondria said:
Yeah I like being able to warp to get new orbs because when I went with my static we did about 10 runs and warp helped cut down the time it took to run around a lot. Got 3 PCCs and 3 Ni so it's a very good BCNM for gil. I prefer doing it with friends and splitting instead of your orb your drop.

mustt have some retard of friends who whine when they do not get ***.... for split.
 Bahamut.Rydiya
user: Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-10-10 14:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Stan's crap

User submitted image
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-10 15:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Stanflame said:
mustt have some retard of friends who whine when they do not get ***.... for split.

You really need to find a new hobby.
 Asura.Hit
By Asura.Hit 2009-10-10 15:31:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Rydiya said:
Quote:
Stan's crap

User submitted image

>,< lmao
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-10-10 23:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Rydiya said:
Quote:
Stan's crap

User submitted image

u
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-10-10 23:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Rydiya said:
Quote:
Stan's crap

User submitted image

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-10-11 02:38:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
Rydiya said:
Quote:
Stan's crap

User submitted image

I told rydiya to stop posting her ***, I do not want sex.
 Bahamut.Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-10-11 02:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

***, you didn't tell me ***, besides you "Love" me.
 Asura.Hit
By Asura.Hit 2009-10-11 02:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, the ninja thread got Hijacked.. by pictures of ***. priceless.
 Bahamut.Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-10-11 02:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hit said:
Lol, the ninja thread got Hijacked.. by pictures of ***. priceless.

:x It's my awesome butthurt image macro of win.
 Odin.Rues
Server: Odin
user: Rues
By Odin.Rues 2009-10-11 02:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Tusarithe said:
The 2 NIN wanna be as far apart as possible (to avoid firaga or breakga catchin you both) and still reach the mob with nukes. WHile the RDM wants to be as far from each NIN as possible and still reach them with cures.

I do NOT recommend being far away as possible. If you are all right on top of it, it won't cast breakga whereas it will if you are all far away.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-11 02:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Stanflame said:
Kungfuhustle said:
Rydiya said:
Quote:
Stan's crap

User submitted image

I told rydiya to stop posting her ***, I do not want sex.

Wtf don't want sex? Whats wrong with you?
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2009-10-11 11:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Tousou said:
Due to my inability to find BLMs (and the fact that we usually fail my orb) I've been leveling NIN to 40 so I can give the NIN burn a try.

NIN40, Ni Wheel, Evasion Gear, Buffer. Aside from my uncapped 114 skill, I believe I'm set.

So to the point: Exactly what should I expect? What would be the "best" SJ? How will my damage output look? And of course, anything else that could help my first run go smoothely?

And yes, I'm paranoid of screwing up D:

ill give it to u straight, its so easy me and my friends can all be a naked NINs and still win this

all i really do is nin/rdm with ni wheel and cream puff(+7 int)