New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Solo Puppet
Solo Puppet
By FichesAquarium 2018-06-14 08:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all,

I was just looking for some advice on attachments, frames, subjob, general strategy and trusts when soloing difficult fights?

I'm sure all fights are different, so here is a list of the fights I'd like to solo, both with and without overdrive.

Kammavaca

Vir'ava

Taelmoth

Selkit

Oryx

All the Tier 2 and Tier 3 in Zi'Tah, for Pazuzu.

As for gear I'd say I'm above average....

I have a Hybrid TP set, Tanking Set, Pet WS set, Repair Set, Maneuver Set, Master DPS set. I'm currently at 200 JP, so no 1200 attachment bonus, only the 100 one.

So far all I've attempted to solo was Puppet in Peril, Ouryu and Aglaophotis, all without overdrive and I kind of felt I could have done it better on another job, but I was having fun.

So, before attempting these fights I figured I'd ask for advice, this is my first post on this forum so not sure how active it is. I appreciate any help.

Mainly looking for attachment/frame/trust advice. I'm also in the Sylvie unity, so my only healer options are Cherukiki and Kupipi. As for trusts, I have them all but Ygnas.

Ah, also what kind of gear should I be using during Overdrive? How many dawn muslims should I carry with me and how do they work exactly? What subjob do you recommend for soloing?

Thanks!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-06-14 08:29:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Rather than answer all of those situational questions, there's this amazing guide written by my linkshell member Fabiano that is the greatest puppet guide known on the wiki. Research it carefully and you'll instantly become a better pup and know what to use and when.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/String_Theory
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-06-14 08:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

+1 for that, the string theory guide is pretty good.

Of that whole list of ***you're looking to do only vir'ava is really pup required(*) solo

It would be significantly slower (but more fun i guess...) for all the rest
By FichesAquarium 2018-06-14 08:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, I've read the guide but that guide doesn't answer my questions at all.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-06-14 08:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

How... does it not...

Quote:
Pet Only TP Sets
Basically everything you need to know for soloing lolt1 mobs

Quote:
Pet WS Sets
Right Below that

Quote:
Automaton Tanking Sets

Quote:
Physical Damage Dealer

Quote:
Overdrive or “3 Minutes of Pure Murder”
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-06-14 08:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

FichesAquarium said: »
dawn muslims
Mulsums, you aren't feeding people to your puppet.
[+]
By FichesAquarium 2018-06-14 08:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
How... does it not...

Quote:
Pet Only TP Sets
Basically everything you need to know for soloing lolt1 mobs

Quote:
Pet WS Sets
Right Below that

Quote:
Automaton Tanking Sets

Quote:
Physical Damage Dealer

Quote:
Overdrive or “3 Minutes of Pure Murder”

Those are gear sets I already have....
I'm not asking what those sets are...
I also already know what overdrive does.

I was asking specifically what attachments and puppet to use when fighting those NM and trusts to summon and what gear to use and puppets to use with and without overdrive during those NM. The guide mentions nothing on trust choices, nor soloing.

The guide mentions different sets, but not what set to use during overdrive. The solo pet dps set? Maybe, but considering how much store tp overdrive gives that doesn't seem likely, so do I stay in pet ws set? Maybe, but my pet will be tanking with the damage its doing and it has to stay alive. A mixture of dt and pet ws? Maybe, but which pieces. Hence why I'm asking the questions.

The guide mentions different attachments but not what attachments to use when your puppets going to be tanking NM during overdrive. Is one armor and one auto repair enough? Maybe, but I don't have the experience to know, hence why I'm asking the questions.

The guide mentions different attachment builds, but not what build is used for soloing.

I appreciate your attempt to help, but saying "read this guide for general knowledge" doesn't really help this situation when I'm asking for specific questions.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-06-14 09:50:56
Link | Quote | Reply

All of those NMs are easy. You can use a tank trust + robot in full dps mode + healers and alternate skillchains with your robot. Or you can make your robot a healer if you prefer and drop a trust healer for more support. Or you can make your robot a tank while you dps it down. Or you can....You get the point. PUP is too versatile to give you a "what if/best case" scenario for each of those. You have several options.

Quote:
I have a Hybrid TP set, Tanking Set, Pet WS set, Repair Set, Maneuver Set, Master DPS set. I'm currently at 200 JP, so no 1200 attachment bonus, only the 100 one.

You don't mention what gear you are using for your sets. With all things PUP, most of your answers can be summed up like this ---->IT DEPENDS.
Do you have augmented Taeon with DA/Regen/Acc/Att/Meva/DT? If not, do you have Tali'ah +2 legs/Rao/+1 set? Those are your go-to tanking sets, with accessories+cape thrown in to reach your build needs. It's going to depend on what you have available to you. The gear sets are listed, but there are dozens of ways to "skin a cat" on PUP. There is no BIS one-size-fits-all set that you should be using. It all depends on a few things. We had this discussion in the PUP thread and not one person could definitively say that Rao was better than Taeon, and most had both sets available to them and used what worked for them. You have that same flexibility as well.

IT. DEPENDS. It cannot get more simpler than this

Are you looking for max DPS potential? ---> Use DPS set
Is your automaton about to die? ---> Use Light/Earth/Water Maneuvers when needed, use DT/Regen set
For tanking --> Strive for 87.5 DT on pet, and then work your hate tools in. OF1+2 math is already done for you on the website.
Are you fighting something with long wind-up TP moves that are magical based? -->adjust gear/maneuvers accordingly and time them to mitigate damage
Are you using Overdrive? ---> see the Overdrive section, use DPS gear, throw in DT/Idle sets when needed (or use repair etc)
(By the way, it's very hard to die during Overdrive unless you completely ignore your pet's HP, so that should not be a concern if you're cycling maneuvers like you should be)
Are you fighting alongside your robot? ---> Use a master/pet hybrid where you can skillchain
What trusts should you be using? ---> If your solo pet killing, you're not in range, and thus, your trusts don't matter because they can't heal your robot...If you are fighting in range, then obviously use something that will keep you alive, or a tank and have your puppet full DPS mode, with support+healers.

Outside of Vir'ava, all of those pops for the NMs above are cheap, so fighting and tweaking your strat accordingly is the best option on PUP. You can keep trying to see what set works best for you, based on what you have available. As an added note, You should use Balamor or Teodor for Selkit, since Hell scissors can be forced with tp moves. And using august to tank would be ideal, with maybe aaev for a sub voke so healers dont get targeted afterwards. Robot eating throat stab is probably not the best option, but he's a pushover anyways.

Personally, unless I know August will die to something I'm fighting (he normally won't), I wont bother using automaton to tank it, because that's more work having to watch pet HP and use maneuvers to control hate. I'd rather go all out and let the healers take care of him while I whack it down. I also wouldn't really use PUP for any of those NMs, but tjmo
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-06-14 10:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Overdrive attachments:

Inhibitor 1 & 2
Speed loader 2
Attuner
Tension Spring 3 or lower if below 1200 jp
Coiler 1 & 2 (swap coiler 1 for target market if account is a concern)
Optic fiber 1 & 2
Turbo charger 1 & 2
Auto repair kit 4 or lower if needed

You can use these attachments with valoredge head/frame or ve head sharpshot frame. Ve head makes sharpshot approach and melee all the time. More to that way. I stand off idling in pet to set and manually swap in pet weaponskill set every few seconds. 1 fire maneuver 1 thunder 1 light.

Sharpshot will do solo 4 step skillchains over and over. Beast roll and drachen roll help this. /For is worth it if an nm is close to surviving.

I highly recommend reading Trulusias thread about tanking on pup.

You don't really need to be so meticulous about enmity, becuses things have gotten easier since then. but he has a great guide about overdrive in there. For enmity, and to set I highly recommend heyoka set. Though you need 500 jp for that.

If you use some heyoka in your tp set you actually get alot of meva. This helps alot with nms like Oryx with lots of are magic.
By FichesAquarium 2018-06-14 16:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
IT. DEPENDS. It cannot get more simpler than this

I know it depends... that's what I mentioned in the opening post, hence why I asked about specific fights... I'm also aware I can test things on my own, but I came to the forum hoping to get wisdom from people who already did test them and found combinations that worked well for them. I wasn't expecting to come here and people basically tell me to read a guide that doesn't have the answers I need, comment on my typos, tell me to figure it out on my own, and tell me its inefficient.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Darkdoom
user: DarkdoomG
By Lakshmi.Darkdoom 2018-06-14 17:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

In addition to all the great info people have given you here already, you're gimping yourself enormously - more so than any gear set - by not having 1200 JP gift. That should be your first priority, before anything else right now.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-06-14 17:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

FichesAquarium said: »
I wasn't expecting to come here and people basically tell me to read a guide that doesn't have the answers I need, comment on my typos, tell me to figure it out on my own, and tell me its inefficient.
LOL
Welcome to every online forum ever :D

PPL don't answer cuz they don't know. you can safely ignore those.
But you have received some answers already.

Namely that if you use the trusts for it, you can just go in with a DD build and take most of these down. I suggest you trade Syvlie for Apururu or Yoran-Oran. Sylvie is great to increase some dd, but frankly you need a better whm more. none of the others can maintain mp long enough to keep you or your trusts alive.

Taelmoth is easy until the last 10%, then he can nuke your pup away. I suggest extra mana jammers during this fight and be out of range at low hp. be ready w/ repair or resummon for the last 10% Regulator and Disruptor for dispelling the magic boost he gets is really helpful.

Selkit you just use trusts whose normal moves are special moves, and it forces hell scissors, which takes to critial hp, and then drops hate on that target. if you have 3 trusts and a pet like that you are in safe space. REgen helps alot too. you just need to prevent any special move aside from hell scissors by keeping the weaponskils timed right. if he does a different move he could AoE you down when low hp.

Oryx is a tough one. you can widdle him down and then OD at 50% and get over 30' away. OR you can get brygid, and amchuchu and sehlteus and a heyoka set for meva and melee alongside your automaton.

Kama'Vaca and Pazuzu I susually go BST. because killing the adds on Kama'vaca is alot easier when you can AoE them down, otherwise read the wiki and kill in order. Using trusts to fill out party.

Pazuzu you can use similiar tactics to Oryx. Either Overdrive and stand back or prepare to survive meteor spam.

Aerix posted the following on the main pup thread a few days ago on solo'ing Vir'ava.

Quote:
Vir'ava requires a little more work, but it isn't a big deal. I went PUP/RDM for defensive buffs (Blink, SS, Phalanx). Summon AATT, AAMR + Shikaree Z (to boost Beast and Drachen Roll, if you have a COR) and a healer.
Upon spawning, Ventriloquy, engage the maton and OD. Dia II it, then run away to 25'+ distance from maton (to avoid Meteors later on) and stay in Overdrive gear until Frond Fatale. Once adds pop, switch to PDT gear and immediately engage any of the adds as fast as possible. Turn away to avoid damaging them and wait while AATT Sleepga II's them. As soon as it lands, disengage and switch back to Overdrive gear to watch your maton destroy Vir'ava. Make sure to Tactical Switch or wipe your TP so your maton doesn't get stuck holding its WSs forever. And move away from the slept adds as they have a poison aura.

Vir'ava might be possible without the use of Overdrive, but it involves a lot more risk that's not really worth it, as pop items are pretty pricey. It's a good way to get your Abnoba Kaftan or Rao body abjuration, if you don't have them yet.

Solo'ing Urmalulu on pup was fun, but you need to do as much damage on master as you can, which is a challenge. Setup your pet to tank from front, then enaged from behind as far away as you can w/ trusts. Only Thunderbolt will hit your. You might be pressed to do enough damage in 15 min time limit on solo pup, but it works.

I can't say I'd want to fight Shockmaw or Fleetstalker solo.

Fleetstalker has an Aura thats really hard to take down solo on pup. You would have to have pup tanking, then you engage w/ trusts from behind. but you need strusts which will do water nukes after you use a weaponskill from behind. I really don't know what trusts to use for this. I don't think it would be reliable. I suggest duo at least to reliably take down aura.

Shockmaw you have to deal w/ Thar She Blows, which is Conal Death.

you can sacrifice the auto that way and bring back, but position trusts and having backup trust tank would be challenging imo. I'm not sure if I coudl pull it off. I'd probably try both of those in pup/bst duo. or pup/smn duo.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-06-14 18:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »

People didn't answer because there was nothing to answer. In this case.

Guide covers everything he needed to know except Trusts. Trusts are obvious.
[+]
By FichesAquarium 2018-06-14 19:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »

People didn't answer because there was nothing to answer. In this case.

Guide covers everything he needed to know except Trusts. Trusts are obvious.

Lets examine this claim, shall we?

Please specify where in the guide in gives strategies on these various NM I listed...

Please specify where in the guide it specifies which attachments to use to optimizie the damage output while maintaining survivability during Overdrive?

Please specify where in the guide it mentions anything about playing solo... at all.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [108 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Baroma
user: baroma
By Asura.Baroma 2018-10-01 00:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I may be crazy but I’ve been enjoying /cor for BST roll, (drachen if need be) We only get 1 roll to use but I think it helps boost Zerg method. If truly soloing. I can’t think of another sub job that would be useful going pet onry. Has anyone else tried it?