Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Bard skilling up
Bard skilling up
First Page 2
 Sylph.Citrelautame
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-05-07 04:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have some tricks to speed up bard skilling?

Currently trying to level wind and w/ food and the 2 pieces of sparks gear that increase magic gain, i am getting 8.7 skill ups per hour.

is it better to find a rock or some roots in seekers and just spam debuffs or something?

ty in advance

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Bahadir 2018-05-07 05:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

^
this +

call Moogle (for healer refresh and the skill up aura!), Sakura (for regen) and Apururu, Cherukiki and which ever non engaging Healer trust you have.
Engage the Uragnite, turn around, start casting, come back in a few hours.
By geigei 2018-05-07 06:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Citrelautame said: »
Anyone have some tricks to speed up bard skilling?
Yea, buy skillup books.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2018-05-07 06:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

self-targeting spells typically give a lower skillup rate than targeting a mob.

Wear the magic skill gain rate gear, eat go get Sigil in the past (for double meal duration, eat BEW Pitaru, go to Adoulin and get Ionis for the Maginc Skillup Boost from the Mummers Coalition, call Moogle trust, and target an EP mob, and cycle through your spells
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-05-07 07:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
self-targeting spells typically give a lower skillup rate than targeting a mob.

Wear the magic skill gain rate gear, eat go get Sigil in the past (for double meal duration, eat BEW Pitaru, go to Adoulin and get Ionis for the Maginc Skillup Boost from the Mummers Coalition, call Moogle trust, and target an EP mob, and cycle through your spells
Yeah go Lullaby a mandragora outside of Western Adoulin, once it's slept cycle through all your threnodies, elegy and nocturne. If it wakes up reapply lullaby.

Rinse & Repeat until (if ever) the monster starts resisting Lullaby.
Remember you will have to do this basically twice, once for Wind skill, once for String skill.

This is undoubtely the most efficient/fastest way.
Alternatively I've heard that casting buffs on others gives slightly better skillup chances than casting on yourself.
Supposing this is even true, you could call a couple of trusts and cycle songs on them using Pianissimo. Do this until you've got enough skill to reliably land Lullaby on the Mandragora mentioned above?
But honestly if you're using an ilevel 119 weapon mainhand you should have no issue even at very low skill levels.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2018-05-07 07:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're so far behind that you can't land lullaby reliably or something, the ol' standby from the 75 days was to skill up on Hpemde mobs. They won't attack unless you actually do damage to them, so you can just cycle through threnodies on one (the ones in Escha Ru'Aun are likely your best bet these days).

edit: Far as I know they are the same, since I think that behavior is tied to their aggro mechanic which is the same.

However, if the above suggestions are viable for you, I'd do that instead, since you have more +skillup that way.
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2018-05-07 08:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Another option is to activate your Deal 500+ Damage quest and set it on repeat. Go to Arrapego Reef VW on a dual-wield job with healer and support trusts(BRD itself works well for this). Simply pop the boss, engage and come back in about 10 minutes.

After I think 3(?) pops, you should be capped sparks and can go buy a very large amount of books.

Every method mentioned is excellent, I mostly wanted to remind people that getting sparks doesn’t have to be a chore.
[+]
By Nyarlko 2018-05-07 10:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Make sure you have some ROV progress as well. There are two KIs (Crimson and Fuschia) that give skill gain rate +100% base, for a total of tripling your base rate. Food is also helpful with an add'l +80%. Personally like using Far East Hearth's Moghancement: Skill Gain, and while there's no actual data on it's effect, it "feels" like it helps even with everything else. Don't bother with the sparks gear, or making any effort to farm the earrings, as their buffs are quite small and unnoticeable with the above.
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-05-07 21:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

excellent thank you everyone for the input, i have 300ish skill just trying to finish it off, but 27 points in 4 hours of afk lua skilling just really got to me haha. Ill def just go fight a mob tonight and go that method.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2018-05-07 22:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Be wary of where you leave a skillup script running. I've seen people do it in stupid locations, and get busted by GMs.

Granted, that was several years ago, when there were actual GMs...
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-05-07 22:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

ya i always stay close to my pc and watch tv or something while glancing at chat log for it haha
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-05-07 22:50:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Another tip - if you aren't in a huge rush, the combat and magic skillup campaign is active very soon, from May 16-28 (part of the second phase of the upcoming month's campaigns). The increase in skillup rate is absolutely absurd. One of the last times it was on, I took some combat skills on my freshly leveled WAR up in no time at all - we're talking like roughly 30 minutes of whacking Uragnites to get my Scythe skill up from 50-60 skill all the way up to 400+ cap (with food/trust and capped haste).

The campaign is a great way to cap any lagging combat or magic skills. FWIW, the crafting skillup campaign is also excellent when that's on (it isn't part of the May campaigns though). Oh, the time I saved getting 110 Fishing with that campaign...
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-05-07 23:26:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I would recommend buying the Skill Up tomes that can be bought through Records of Eminence. They give 0.1-0.5 skill ups per use. Generally you will get more higher tiered skill ups with a low level skill at 99, and then lower tiers as the skill closes on its cap.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-07 23:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't ever recommend books over afking uragnites.

For any offensive magic/melee

(smn, yeah, books, all the way)

making a script that just sings requiem I II III IV 1000 times only takes about a minute
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-05-08 00:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Can't ever recommend books over afking uragnites.

For any offensive magic/melee

(smn, yeah, books, all the way)

making a script that just sings requiem I II III IV 1000 times only takes about a minute

So your solution is to Bot/cheat? Lol. Yeah no thanks.
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-05-08 00:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

any suggestions on the bot debuff lua? currently i have this but it is trying to fire the next spell b4 my char is 100% complete with the previous. I am not aware of a delay/wait/sleep command in lua. Triggered by me casting any spell to start

temp = 0
function precast(spell)
if spell.name == "Wind Threnody" then
temp=1
elseif spell.name == "Fire Threnody" then
temp=2
elseif spell.name == "Ice Threnody" then
temp=0
end
end

function aftercast(spell)
if temp == 0 then
send_command('@input /ma "Wind Threnody <t>')
elseif temp == 1 then
send_command('@input /ma "Fire Threnody <t>')
elseif temp == 2 then
send_command('@input /ma "Ice Threnody <t>')
end
end
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-08 00:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I just did
Code
input /magic "Dextrous Etude" <me>

wait 9

input /magic "Sinewy Etude" <me>

wait 9

input /magic "Learned Etude" <me>

wait 9

wait 9

input /magic "Sinewy Etude" <me>

wait 9

input /magic "Learned Etude" <me>

wait 9

copy/paste a thousand times, wake up capped. change it to threnodies if you want it to go faster.

as far as cheating/botting, it's not any different than using //pouches to use a thousand books.

And if you're using those thousand books manually, may god have mercy on your keyboard.
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-05-08 00:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

that wait works? it didn't fire when i tried ill try again ty
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-08 00:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a script, not a lua.

/console exec filename.txt instead of //lua load filename
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-05-08 00:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

ahhh ok
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-05-08 00:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Where do you save the script for it to read it?
(I had no clue windower could excute scripts ty ^^)
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-08 01:16:04
Link | Quote | Reply

in the file, called scripts, lol
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-05-08 02:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

well damn if that doesn't make sense lmao ty again
 Asura.Ajirha
user: Ajirha
By Asura.Ajirha 2018-05-08 06:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

one thing with scripts like that, it's as if you do a thousand line macro. the game will not stop untill it's done. you may zone, run, kneel/heal it'll still attempt to do the actions. it'll skip what it cant do at the time and you'll get the "cannot perform that action" message on each try (so lets say every 9 sec).
not sure changing job changes anything either. pushing the same macro to call the text file will only apply it a second time on top of the first meaning you'll get double "cant perform" message.
afaik only logging off will make it stop.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-08 10:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You delete the script and it stops running (about 5 minutes later)
 Asura.Inuyushi
user: Inuyushi
By Asura.Inuyushi 2018-05-08 11:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Another tip - if you aren't in a huge rush, the combat and magic skillup campaign is active very soon, from May 16-28 (part of the second phase of the upcoming month's campaigns). The increase in skillup rate is absolutely absurd. One of the last times it was on, I took some combat skills on my freshly leveled WAR up in no time at all - we're talking like roughly 30 minutes of whacking Uragnites to get my Scythe skill up from 50-60 skill all the way up to 400+ cap (with food/trust and capped haste).

The campaign is a great way to cap any lagging combat or magic skills. FWIW, the crafting skillup campaign is also excellent when that's on (it isn't part of the May campaigns though). Oh, the time I saved getting 110 Fishing with that campaign...

IIRC Fishing skill-ups was not part of the "Synthesis Campaign". Fishing skill ups are just faster than they were back in the day due to an update. I capped Fishing to 110 faster than I could go through a fishing skill-up ring. You don't even have to bot fishing anymore to cap it in a reasonable amount of time.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-05-08 16:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Inuyushi said: »
IIRC Fishing skill-ups was not part of the "Synthesis Campaign". Fishing skill ups are just faster than they were back in the day due to an update. I capped Fishing to 110 faster than I could go through a fishing skill-up ring. You don't even have to bot fishing anymore to cap it in a reasonable amount of time.

The synthesis campaign does affect fishing, I did most of my fishing 40-110 in 2017 and it was noticeable. Appears this was added in December 2014, per S-E update notes:
Quote:
2) Double Synthesis Skill Increase Campaign
As the name implies, the rate of synthesis skill increase will be doubled for the duration of the campaign! Hone your crafting skills with synthesis kits and take advantage of the synthesis history feature!

* Fishing and synergy skill gains will also be doubled. (Added December 12, 2014)

At any rate, not to get too off topic talking about fishing, the campaign is definitely helpful for BRD skills!
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-08 17:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Now thats wrong, they've addressed this before and fishing and synergy are -not- included in the synthesis increase campaigns.

Unless specifically stated that it does (did they make it permanent for all "double skill up campaigns" as of 12/2014 I had quit during that time and haven't been around for a double since being back)
First Page 2