Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Benefits for subs at 75 blu
Benefits for subs at 75 blu
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-24 19:18:50
Link | Quote | Reply

No. Your assessment of subs is questionable at times and your "ideal" gear sets are anything but. I'll get back to this thread later with a (second) detailed assessment if I have time.
 Alexander.Jeffreyjelly
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Jeffreyjelly 2010-02-24 19:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

gdi i keep forgetting about that... stupid auto-selects without server

you will benefit more for survival from /nin when nuking... mnk for breaths and yeahhhhh /sch elemental enfeebling and other stuff wont work for blu nukes
By Jeffreyjelly 2010-02-24 19:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
No. Your assessment of subs is questionable at times and your "ideal" gear sets are anything but. I'll get back to this thread later with a (second) detailed assessment if I have time.

i meant ideal as in rather easy to get... not like ultimately hard to get and the best gear...
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-24 19:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd still say your best bet for even /thf cannonball is koggles/shield. I generally put out more dmg doing that than any vulcan staff/strap combo unless cocoon wasn't up AND I wasn't eatting food.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-24 19:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Then use a term other than ideal.
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-02-24 20:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

why dont we call it realistically ideal and stop nitpicking him, the guide looks ok to me
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-24 20:13:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Your regurgitation set...

you say 3mnd~1int so assuming that.. englightened chain would be good here. Yigit or goliard feet. Not sure which one would be better since Blu spells tend to have low base dmg values making stats much more valuable compared to MAB then it would for T4 or even T3 nukes. Yigit hands great for this. Int earring instead

/war cannonball

If that 5skill is breaking a tier on skill then keep relic otherwise use dusk, acheron shield is a small benefit, Heims earring in place of the min.

/nin... tp I am assuming.

Tiphia sting unless you happen to have the chakram active, homam hands, another str ring or maybe echo ring and the homam legs you mentioned.

Big 3 set

Another triumph, again tiphia unless you happen to have the chakram active, Gnagbods helm or voyager sallet for head, for hands on FR or diseverment alky will still be more dmg and -3acc is nothing you should be eating sushi and have acc bonus and have some acc gear and latent from swd and dex etc. And cuch for the back.

Also as far as campaign goes I maintain mp better as /dnc then /sch. If I am soloing a mob even with throwing alot of dmg spells the mobs still generally runs out of mp before I kill it unless it is something weak like brd. Aspir samba is just that good. Not to mention you waste alot of time switching arts around all the time and instant mp free curing and erase has saved me many a times.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-24 20:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
/BLM
could open an opportunity as a magic type blu for solo/duo/event, but the shadows you can get from nin sub is much more valuable...
Pros:
-spamming regurgitation(hate less nuke), ideal gear set example for regurgitation:
Item Set

-note for regurgitation (3 MND)=(1 INT) for dmg wise
-MAB II but you can always get MAB I from INT/MND+ spells like Reactor cool and Memento Mori(buff MAB),
Cons:
-no reliable shadows like /nin
The need for shadows varies, therefore the relative value of 24 MAB versus shadows varies as well. There's a lot more to BLU nuking than just Regurgitation.
Quote:
/RDM
ehhhh main heal with Fast Cast II not as appealing due to the new update with [Bad Breath] + [Sub-Zero Smash] = [Fast Cast I]...
/SCH would be the better choice... on the other hand this could be used to lvl parrying with phalanx
ideal set to lvl parring:

Pros:
-Fast Cast II
-Phalanx stacks with cocoon
-Magic Attack Bonus I
-Magic Defense Bonus I
-Resist Petrify II
-Clear Mind
-Bio II or Dia II
-another Dark based Dispel
-Stoneskin(needs a lot of MND to cap due to low enhancing magic)
Cons:
It's not a main heal sub, it's a nuking sub. Not having to set traits lets you set more traits and/or stats. Advantages over /BLM: Fast Cast II, Stoneskin, Phalanx, more MND for Mind Blast and more CHR for Eyes on Me. 4 MAB versus Fast Cast and some defensive abilities is your call; I generally favor /RDM.
Quote:
/WAR
ideal cannonball gearset for /war:
Item Set

(SE won't give me back my Bibiki Seashell ;_;)
Pros:
-Free Defense Bonus
-Resist Virus II
-Double Attack
-Attack Bonus
-Provoke
-Berserk
-Defender(great for repeatedly casting Cannonball and not worrying about Sneak Attack)
-Warcry
-note Defender Stacks with Cocoon for a great DoT farm far away spamming Cannonball
Cons:
Cannonballing without Sneak Attack requires accuracy gear, at which point you might as well be meleeing and using a melee support job because the damage from Cannonball will be severely reduced. /WAR is not the sub of choice for most meleeing situations, so then you'd be better off changing subs...
Quote:
/NIN
a MUST NEED sub for many events/solo/duo etc. maybe even viable for tanking sub now that we can get Fast Cast I through spells...
have heard of blu being crowd control in einherjar... i haven't tested that yet :X

Pros:
-Subtle Blow II
-Dual Wield II
-Resist Bind I
-Stealth
-Utsusemi
Cons:
-not a great sub to use Cannonball on
Was a viable tanking sub long before we got FC I. Con is false if you have a desire to self-Light. It's our defensive and melee sub of choice, leave it at that.
Quote:
/DRK
go for dmg anyone? could also help with stun...
but blu has other forms of stun but not all of them proc 100% of the time...
but dark skill would be needed for HNM i guess?
Pros:
-Attack Bonus II
-Arcana Killer
-Resist Paralyze
-Arcane Circle(+15% damage boost to both physical and magical damage)
-Bio I
-Stun
Cons:
Less damage than other subs with a greater amount of MP sponging. Stun's high MACC makes the low skill irrelevant aside from mobs that build resistance, but if you need the additional stuns you're better off looking elsewhere.
Quote:
/RNG
lol believe it or not some blu spells acc based off ranged acc but ehhhh i don't like this sub just for the short amount of ranged spells there are, farming purposes anyone :D!?
Pros:
Cons:
Tell me, how do those spells land when we have no innate racc stat?
Quote:
/SAM
maybe for HNM purposes to build TP away from mobs and then SC? not good for solo cause yeah we only have 2 hander weapons lol...
may seem nice for TP getting for cannonball but i think defender from war might be better + more survivability with more def?
Pros:
Cons:
Sneak Attack.
Quote:
/PUP
used right could help with main healing i guess?
Pros:
Cons:
Sure, if you're below level 10.
Quote:
-not a great sub at all
Needs this line in a lot more places.
Phoenix.Airbag said:
why dont we call it realistically ideal and stop nitpicking him, the guide looks ok to me
If you're going to make a guide, at least be accurate about it...

Not touching the gear sets. To be honest they shouldn't even be there, each sub will make use of more than one gear set and pairing subs with sets implies otherwise.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-24 20:34:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Tell me, how do those spells land when we have no innate racc stat?
Actually I'd probably still use /nin for when pinecone bomb fails more than once in a row anyways...

But as far as the lower racc ie having like 100-120 less racc then if you had a job with A rated range main... well that is kinda easy as long as it isn't a really evasive mob. Alot of random good peices like most the ones rngs would use if they actually needed racc... and most importantly.. Imperial Egg. And yes with a good racc set I've gotten good sleep rates with Pinecone bomb on most T/VTs. Haven't really played with it too much though. Was trying to solo moths for exuvation but with my kinda meh set I was only getting like 1/3-1/2 landing rate on that
 Sylph.Sindri
Server: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-02-24 20:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The best subjobs in no particular order for BLU are widely believed to be Scholar, Ninja, and Thief, however Warrior is also a popular choice. My favourite is Warrior by a long shot, and if I can survive a mob without shadows, like Sea Mobs, then Ill sub WAR instead and just MDT. Didnt bother to read up, Im sure someones already posted that, but SCH is great for keeping your MP and HP up, but then people make lame vampire jokes and you almost WANT to die.
 Alexander.Jeffreyjelly
By Alexander.Jeffreyjelly 2010-02-24 20:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

i didnt finish all of them >.>; if you noticed i only fixed like 2/3... and stop pulling out the lvl 10 sub stuff... the title is for lvl 75 subs
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-24 20:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Jeffreyjelly said:
i didnt finish all of them >.>; if you noticed i only fixed like 2/3... and stop pulling out the lvl 10 sub stuff... the title is for lvl 75 subs
Then your assessments should accurately reflect that. /PUP is not a viable sub at 75. I don't care about how many you did and didn't "fix"... If you're going to make a guide it should be an accurate one. You necro'd your thread, you invited the replies.
 Alexander.Jeffreyjelly
By Alexander.Jeffreyjelly 2010-02-24 20:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

dude it's the internet... gotta learn most don't care...
I knew there would be replies I thought this is a decent guide, I'm just saying no one else made one...

People need to know for what gear to aim for, meaning i don't have the best but I'm willing to put my ideas up
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-02-24 20:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I appreciate your guide jelly, haters gonna hate
 Valefor.Grozny
Server: Valefor
user: Grozny
By Valefor.Grozny 2010-02-25 01:00:34
Link | Quote | Reply

/war is a good sub for ballista, using Defender. If you do not have /pld.

/pld is even better than /war for ballista. Use sentinel, extra Flash, free auto refresh, cure 1 to wake up teammates, Def bonus II, and Protect II. Between Actinic Burst, Flash, and Sentinel you can be pretty hard to take down. If you do not have /rdm

/rdm I would say is probably the best ballista sub, stoneskin, phalanx, cure 1, etc etc, I am working on /rdm and currently use /pld but will be switching to /rdm when it is to 37.
 Alexander.Jeffreyjelly
By Alexander.Jeffreyjelly 2010-02-25 10:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Edited the rest of the subs that i didn't get around to.

Added some notes to my imperfect gear sets >.>

tell me what you think

and /cheer on lvling rdm sub :D
 Alexander.Jeffreyjelly
By Alexander.Jeffreyjelly 2010-02-28 11:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well now that I put the time in to make this guide... I'm gonna go QQ in the corner lmao.

Someone needs to change the title to 99 D:! rofl lmao
 Kujata.Kensagaku
Server: Kujata
user: Kensagaku
By Kujata.Kensagaku 2010-03-01 09:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally in terms of BLU subjobs my main preference is /SCH. That isn't to say /NIN isn't good for when you're blink tanking or need to survive, and who doesn't love a 1-2k Cannonball from /THF? But a SCH subjob is honestly one of my favorites when it comes to subjobs.

One point I make is to campaign beastman-controlled areas so I can solo a beastman mob with little competition or 'help.' With /SCH, Aspir and Drain are real lifesavers, and you'd be surprised at how efficiently you can land Sleep with Dark Arts up. Naturally Sheep Song and the such are better but it's useful if you need it. Dispel is arguably useful too.

I also took /SCH to Nyzul; if I had a link? I could sleep it with Dark Arts -> Addendum: Black -> Sleep. I also had a Dispel if my RDM was busy healing or in the middle of another spell. Not to mention Light Arts + Magic Fruit + MND set worked wonders if I had MP and the mages needed to rest. You're not doing much damage anyway on those bosses (My Disseverments were only doing like... 2-400 on bosses ;_; ) so it really does help to be available for a backup role. Especially on Cerby- help your RDM dispel Magma Hoplon since it takes two dispels. >_>
 Valefor.Grozny
By Valefor.Grozny 2010-03-03 11:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Kensagaku said:
I also took /SCH to Nyzul; if I had a link? I could sleep it with Dark Arts -> Addendum: Black -> Sleep. I also had a Dispel if my RDM was busy healing or in the middle of another spell. Not to mention Light Arts + Magic Fruit + MND set worked wonders if I had MP and the mages needed to rest. You're not doing much damage anyway on those bosses (My Disseverments were only doing like... 2-400 on bosses ;_; ) so it really does help to be available for a backup role. Especially on Cerby- help your RDM dispel Magma Hoplon since it takes two dispels. >_>

I did Nyzul 1-100 as Blu/nin, and You are right that on the bosses, Blu isn't that great but on the normal floors I found that Blu/nin rocked! Between Pinecone, SheepSong, Soporific, Blank Gaze, Chaotic Eye, etc.. I don't see the need for sleep or dispel from /sch.
 Bismarck.Evolex
Server: Bismarck
user: Evolex
By Bismarck.Evolex 2010-03-04 14:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Grozny said:
Kujata.Kensagaku said:
I also took /SCH to Nyzul; if I had a link? I could sleep it with Dark Arts -> Addendum: Black -> Sleep. I also had a Dispel if my RDM was busy healing or in the middle of another spell. Not to mention Light Arts Magic Fruit MND set worked wonders if I had MP and the mages needed to rest. You're not doing much damage anyway on those bosses (My Disseverments were only doing like... 2-400 on bosses ;_; ) so it really does help to be available for a backup role. Especially on Cerby- help your RDM dispel Magma Hoplon since it takes two dispels. >_>
I did Nyzul 1-100 as Blu/nin, and You are right that on the bosses, Blu isn't that great but on the normal floors I found that Blu/nin rocked! Between Pinecone, SheepSong, Soporific, Blank Gaze, Chaotic Eye, etc.. I don't see the need for sleep or dispel from /sch.

BLU is decent on bosses, especially when you have a no white magic floor like i did last nyz. Thankfully we had a blu and won.

Blu is definitely awsm in nyz. I love going blu.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [32 days between previous and next post]
 Seraph.Iria
Server: Seraph
user: Iria
By Seraph.Iria 2010-04-05 15:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Grozny said:
/war is a good sub for ballista, using Defender. If you do not have /pld.

/pld is even better than /war for ballista. Use sentinel, extra Flash, free auto refresh, cure 1 to wake up teammates, Def bonus II, and Protect II. Between Actinic Burst, Flash, and Sentinel you can be pretty hard to take down. If you do not have /rdm

/rdm I would say is probably the best ballista sub, stoneskin, phalanx, cure 1, etc etc, I am working on /rdm and currently use /pld but will be switching to /rdm when it is to 37.

Stick to /PLD, /RDM will only win in special cases against mage-only teams but /PLD is overall better.

For /RDM Stoneskin will only give you about 200-300 more effective HP and Phalanx (from 37 RDM) will only reduce damage taken by 9 (without merits), which isn't a lot and won't protect you against heavier hitting players. The only benefits /RDM really offers is the Fast Cast, Silence, Bind (you can bind with Blastbomb instead), Gravity spells. But unless you plan on running away from a single opponent, these won't see much use (aside from silence).

On the other hand, /PLD gives you a second Flash, Auto-refresh w/o setting Plasma Charge (always keep Actinic Burst), a bit more defense, more base HP, Shield Bash (instant stun you can perform while running and ignores shadows/third eye/etc!), Sentinel (HUGE physical damage reduction, will save your life if you are being ganged up on), and you still get Protect II, Cure III etc. Sentinel alone makes this the best sub in ballista for most cases.
 Valefor.Grozny
By Valefor.Grozny 2010-04-06 11:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I have since finished /rdm and I have been enjoying it more than /pld. I still like /pld for the reasons I stated, and you restated. There are times I miss the extra flash and Sentinel, but I just seem to survive better as /rdm. I am sure I will mix it up in different matches.
Quote:
/rdm I would say is probably the best ballista sub
Though, I think it is fair to correct what I said here. I wouldn't say /rdm is better than /pld or the other way around. I think they are pretty on par with each other, just a different way to play with each.
 Seraph.Iria
Server: Seraph
user: Iria
By Seraph.Iria 2010-04-11 21:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose /RDM might have a use in smaller matches like 3v3. But if you try 8v8 matches or something, when you get overwhelmed by several physical players at once, only Sentinel will let you last long enough to run or something (or if you happen to be lucky and carry a Carnal Incense).
 Valefor.Grozny
By Valefor.Grozny 2010-04-12 11:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately my server's ballista scene has died down in the last few years. Before the server merge we were lucky to get a 3v3 to happen. Now after the merge we are getting uncaps to happen more frequently, and got a 6v6 last week. I still love /pld, but I am also enjoying /rdm.

Just to nitpick -
Quote:
only Sentinel will let you last long enough
Also TempShift / ABurst will let you get out of those crazy situations. :p