String Theory: A Puppetmaster's Guide *NEW*

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » String Theory: A Puppetmaster's Guide *NEW*
String Theory: A Puppetmaster's Guide *NEW*
First Page 2 3 ... 34 35 36 ... 94 95 96
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2019-11-25 20:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Hi.

Another question about skill ups on automaton.

Is magic skills any relevant for the role of overdrive DD and tank?

Thanks in advance.

There is a mage tank build. basically you are using the same attachment layout as the traditional tank, but you use harlequin body.
This tank cures itself. It is a bit slower to build enmity, but it will cast shell on itself and cap mdt. The other tank doesn't actually cap mdt, it has pretty high mdt and mdb, but lacks shell.

The mage tank also cures itself. So magic skill is used here, but its rather niche.
[+]
 Bahamut.Madelon
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Madelon 2019-11-25 20:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dibble said: »
Are the sets on the bg-wiki guide still current?

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/String_Theory#Weaponskill_Sets

Due to the H2H weaponskill update, the sets shown here are fairly outdated. All of these sets should swap out their neck piece for the Fotia Gorget and put more priority on multi-attack unless you're using the Kenkonken. Howling/Raging Fists DEFINITELY want triple attack more than WSD now due to its ridiculous fTP across all hits.

Aerix has posted new sets in the thread, but I'll repost them here for the sake of having them in one post.

ItemSet 369022

ItemSet 352950
[+]
 Asura.Dibble
Server: Asura
user: Dibble
By Asura.Dibble 2019-12-02 01:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Are there any Windower plugins that will pick up attachment timer cooldowns?
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-12-02 02:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Acon does that, or used to do that at least.
It creates a custom timer in the Timer's "custom" section (third window)
By AsAller 2019-12-02 19:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

What is BiS sets for tank and bruiser automaton setups nowadays?
 Cerberus.Echohawk
Server: Cerberus
user: echohawk
By Cerberus.Echohawk 2019-12-03 00:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Madelon said: »

With Mythic AM3, what would be a step down from heyoka body +1?
 Asura.Dibble
By Asura.Dibble 2019-12-03 12:59:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Acon does that, or used to do that at least.
It creates a custom timer in the Timer's "custom" section (third window)
It does apparently! Thanks. Took me about 10 mobs to get the Barrage Turbine to go off so I could check...
By Aerix 2019-12-04 12:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Echohawk said: »
Bahamut.Madelon said: »

With Mythic AM3, what would be a step down from heyoka body +1?

Mythic AM3 doesn't really change anything regarding the gearing aspect, but Abnoba Kaftan is only slightly behind Heyoka body+1 in general.
[+]
 Asura.Dibble
By Asura.Dibble 2019-12-07 04:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I need some help understanding optic fiber...

On the attachment page on BG it says:

Quote:
Increases effectiveness of other attachments.
The initial bonus applies to all equipped attachments, while the bonuses from multiple [light] maneuvers only affects attachments of the same element as active maneuvers.
The performance increase is always rounded down.

So, if you have OF1 equipped and have 1 Light Maneuver, 1 Fire and 1 Wind:

• Light, fire and wind attachments are boosted +20%

• Everything else gets the flat 10%

That means that all the calculations I have seen that talk about combining Armor Plate and Optic Fiber are wrong?

Having zero Earth maneuvers up does nothing for Armor Plate but the base boost from OF, regardless of how many light maneuvers you have up.

.:edit:.

On the plus side, based on my calcs, if you AP3+AP4+OF1+OF2 and do have 1E and 1L up you'll cap PDT without gear on VE/SS.
By Aerix 2019-12-07 08:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

To my knowledge the description on the wiki page is wrong. All attachments are equally boosted depending on the amount of active Light Maneuvers. Maneuvers of different elements boost their respective attachments and are then appropriately multiplied by the OF bonus, but they do not get an increased bonus.
 Asura.Dibble
By Asura.Dibble 2019-12-07 08:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerix said: »
Maneuvers of different elements boost their respective attachments and are then appropriately multiplied by the OF bonus, but they do not get an increased bonus.

Can you give an example, please?
 Asura.Dibble
By Asura.Dibble 2019-12-07 09:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I just did my own test with Inhibitors and Store TP. The wiki is definitely wrong because light maneuvers boost my Store TP with no fire maneuvers up.
By Nariont 2019-12-07 10:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

im not sure where the confusion is, OF boosts almost all maneuvers seperately from whatever boost their respective maneuver gives, this is increased by the number of light maneuvers you have up, so for example inhib would get a boost from a fire being up aswell as a seperate boost from OF, so say a 1 fire 1 light inhib would give +25(base 1 fire) + 12~(OF 1/2 +1 light maneuver active) totaling +37 STP by itself. With no fires it should give +5 additional STP with only 1 light active as again its working off whatever the base is, which is 10
[+]
By trinironnie 2019-12-29 17:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Any tips on soloing lilith ?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-01-01 04:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

An earring PUP can use would be a start.

Beyond that, Samnuha Tights should be better.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Nariont 2020-01-01 14:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

wouldnt expect amazing numbers out of SP, its a mix of low ftp, low mods, lack of good crit rate/dmg and just pups lack of atk in most situations like you pointed out. Though maybe ken covers for the low ftp/mods a bit, i dont have one so can't say so in most cases howling tends to be my go to WS
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-01-02 01:15:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
Though maybe ken covers for the low ftp/mods a bit

Uh... yeah, that's an pretty huge understatement since ilvel 99+ Mythics give the associated WS a 30% total damage boost (not just first hit like WSD). And you get another 1% for each augment level. That 30~45% is more than enough to make SP your go-to for Kenkonken.

Aside from that, the set above is pretty reasonable (except for Brutal/Moonshade as already noted).

I do have some tweaks that are more a matter of personal preference: I tend to use both Foire +3 body and Pitre +3 hands. Yes, the WSD only applies to first hit, but the very strong Acc and Atk (and good STR) makes things more consistent. I very much err on the side of excess Acc too, since we're talking about a 6-hit WS. Gotta get all those hits in, and I'd rather be more consistently accurate (as well as give a substantial boost to Atk if not capped with strong buffs, as is often the case for me when I'm on PUP) instead of seeking the more showy numbers from occasional crit procs on a rather small percentage of my total WS. For legs, same deal applies for Hiza+2, which I use in high acc situations over Samnuha.

Obviously, that's more for content that isn't a total cakewalk though. If you're optimizing for capped acc/atk situations, you won't need the heavier acc/atk set. Probably worth having a low acc and higher acc WS set since they do have some differences.
By Aerix 2020-01-03 22:49:02
Link | Quote | Reply

For reference, I was doing about 25k-30k Stringing Pummels on VD Goblins in Ambu this month at capped Attack (required 1hr buffs), using R15 Kenkonken. Same set as I've previously posted in this thread. TP speed with AM3 is also much, much faster than any other weapon.

Definitely need some form of Acc buffs, however, as the set is a bit on the low side in that regard. Hizamaru legs+2 are a decent swap as they have decent STR, Acc, Atk and some WSD. Not that far behind Rao legs+1. Most other pieces already has fairly large amounts of Accuracy (incl. Herc feet if you get a good augment) so there aren't many good swaps.
 Shiva.Siviard
Server: Shiva
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2020-01-11 17:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Wiget, owner of Minions Pet Job LS on Shiva is live streaming some Lady Lilith runs.

Come watch the carnage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyNiHH9luP4

And we wiped! lmao
By Pantafernando 2020-01-11 19:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I would blame the window effect turned on.
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2020-01-11 19:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
I would blame the window effect turned on.

Which window effect?
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2020-01-18 17:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Pet job shenanigans happening on Shiva again! Cait Sith this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDS2wW5kaGA

And we're getting our butts kicked. ; ;

Enjoy the carnage!

*edit* - Attempts were on Difficult.....got our butts kicked. Was our first time trying this. Not sure what went wrong but Enlight hurts, a lot!
By Raistl0n 2020-01-18 21:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

U use steam jacket?
By clearlyamule 2020-01-18 21:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Siviard said: »
Pet job shenanigans happening on Shiva again! Cait Sith this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDS2wW5kaGA

And we're getting our butts kicked. ; ;

Enjoy the carnage!

*edit* - Attempts were on Difficult.....got our butts kicked. Was our first time trying this. Not sure what went wrong but Enlight hurts, a lot!
Ha n00bs I can tribox it! At least with OD but yeah as other guy said use steam jacket. Also galvanizer can be useful too
By Aerix 2020-01-18 23:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

If I recall correctly you can just use the two Dispel attachments on the tankmaton to keep Enlight off permanently. It makes Cait Sith pretty tame.

Alternatively just have your SMN dispel with an avatar.
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2020-01-19 00:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know what went wrong at all.

I did have Steam Jacket equipped and I also had the Dispel attachment on. For whatever reason completely unknown to us, after Benediction goes off when Cait Sith puts Enlight up on itself it's damage goes up substantially. At one point, my puppet was getting hit for 800+ dmg from Enlight and that's WITH Steam Jacket and Mana Jammer 4.

To be fair, I did only have the 1 Dispel attachment (Disruptor) on. I didn't have the other one on. However, it didn't seem to matter because for whatever reason during the fight, Disruptor wasn't going off at all even though Cait Sith had multiple buffs up on itself.
By Aerix 2020-01-19 01:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah, I remember now. Disruptor and Regulator are weird in that sometimes only one of them works for specific buffs or for a certain mob. In Cait Sith's case I think only the Regulator worked, which kinda sucked as stealing Enlight makes you heal her. Not too much of an issue for a tankmaton without OD though.

Any regular dark-based Dispel from a job with enough MACC should work though.
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2020-01-19 03:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerix said: »
Oh yeah, I remember now. Disruptor and Regulator are weird in that sometimes only one of them works for specific buffs or for a certain mob. In Cait Sith's case I think only the Regulator worked, which kinda sucked as stealing Enlight makes you heal her. Not too much of an issue for a tankmaton without OD though.

Any regular dark-based Dispel from a job with enough MACC should work though.

Now that I think about it, I did notice several times during the fight that my puppet's Dispel would fire, but it would "miss". I'll be blunt, I'd never seen that before.

This didn't happen all the time, though. There were times the puppet's Dispel would remove Enlight, or remove Protect 5 but not Enlight.

What ended up wiping us out was Cait Sith's Enlight doing nearly 1000 dmg on my puppet (Steam Jacket, Mana Jammer IV) and one-shotting everyone else. We have no idea what happened or what caused it to happen.
First Page 2 3 ... 34 35 36 ... 94 95 96