Thoughts? Can I Identify As Anything I Wish?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Thoughts? Can I identify as anything I wish?
Thoughts? Can I identify as anything I wish?
By emiledge 2018-01-26 18:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.facebook.com/SarahRayTV/videos/1228243830613654/
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-26 18:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I genuinely wish this wasn't a thing. Everyone is unhappy. They just found a way to publicize it.

I decided I was no longer "human" long before this became popular. (hipster me, yay...) It doesn't mean ***, you are what you are, regardless of what you identify as.

I was raised to call someone ma'am or sir and the fact that people will get upset with you for doing it is just pathetic. I understand if you want to change your pronoun. You do you. Just don't *** about it. Accept that if you look female/male you're going to be addressed as such.

I hear that some states are officially letting you now change your identification to reflect your wishes. You can legally identify as male female or none regardless of biology.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2018-01-26 20:05:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Google allows you to set your own gender. I set mine as "Starbucks Giftcard"
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-01-26 20:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Watched the video and I want my money back.

This pseudo-intellectual goes on for five minutes and clearly doesn't understand these simple things---------

1) Sex and gender are not the same. (How many times I've been forced to say this...)
2) Gender is largely cultural.
3) Transgender individuals do not accept the cultural standards of who they are expected to be based on their designation at birth.

Is this really that hard to grasp?

His "are you 60?" and "are you a moose?" comments betray his general misunderstanding of language. It's egregious. How many of these alt-right types are strict language prescriptivists and don't even realize it is embarrassing to behold.

A moose is a label for a physical phenomenon. It is a word. The word "moose" is not the physical moose. Again, it is a label. Humans dictate the way words are used. Commonly used words have commonly understood meanings, but words can change. People use words in different ways.

To say, "you are a moose" is incorrect in our culture because, by standard convention, a "moose" is exactly what you think of it. That is a societal and cultural thing. "Gender", on the other hand, has become more well-understood and its meaning has changed. "Boy" and "girl" have changed their meanings from "male" and "female", which are biological terms.

When you say, "I identify as a man," you are really saying, "I believe of myself as abiding by the common traits that society has designated towards men." When you say "I think you're a moose," you say, "I think you exhibit traits of a moose." The latter is harder to justify because the meaning of "moose" is easier to grasp, in the cultural sense, and is, above all, determinable purely from external sensing.

So in short, this guy can eat a ***.
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2018-01-29 23:33:56
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-01-29 23:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
1) Sex and gender are not the same. (How many times I've been forced to say this...)
That's the problem. You can't just repeat things and hope people believe them. Especially when it comes to things of language and how meanings have changed or are trying to be changed and are different for different people
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-01-29 23:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Google allows you to set your own gender. I set mine as "Starbucks Giftcard"
See I knew you were terrible but this is like terrible to the power of basic.
By Ruaumoko 2018-01-30 03:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I don't agree with Ben Shapiro (the guy in the video) on a number of accounts but the points he raises on transgenderism are very valid.

Transgenderism is not a biological state of being, it is a neurological disorder. I, like Ben, am not demeaning your value as a person by stating this but I am imploring you not to force me to adjust my objective acknowledgement of human biology for your subjective feelings.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-01-31 00:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
That's the problem. You can't just repeat things and hope people believe them. Especially when it comes to things of language and how meanings have changed or are trying to be changed and are different for different people

What plenty of people don't seem to realize is that

this is evidence-based reasoning

and not mere Tumblr ***. Eventually this will be recognized by the public as "fact" and not "feminazi propaganda". I cannot wait for that day to come.

Ruaumoko said: »
Also, I don't agree with Ben Shapiro (the guy in the video) on a number of accounts but the points he raises on transgenderism are very valid.

Transgenderism is not a biological state of being, it is a neurological disorder. I, like Ben, am not demeaning your value as a person by stating this but I am imploring you not to force me to adjust my objective acknowledgement of human biology for your subjective feelings.

This seems like a really petty reason to not address someone by their preferred pronouns.

No one is saying, "I have a penis!" when they really don't. That's not, and never was the issue at hand. It's convenient for you to turn this into a matter of biology--- something often associated with "objective nature"--- when the reality is more nuanced. If you are talking about sex, you may refer to one's genitalia and hormonal patterns. The real topic at hand, gender identity, is just that: a matter of identity--- something certainly more complex to measure.
By clearlyamule 2018-01-31 00:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

and not mere Tumblr ***. Eventually this will be recognized by the public as "fact" and not "feminazi propaganda". I cannot wait for that day to come.
See the argument I'm right and it's a fact isn't a great argument and isn't going to make people "realize" your right
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-01-31 00:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

See the argument I'm right and it's a fact isn't a great argument and isn't going to make people "realize" your right

If I supply sources and evidence, would that help?

If not, what will, besides time?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [120 days between previous and next post]
By fonewear 2018-05-31 09:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I identified as an ***.
By fonewear 2018-05-31 09:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Welcome to the site Emil.

Humans are default-born with reproductive organs and a gender that their body natural grows towards increasing that definition, largely using hormone levels over a lifetime.

Sometimes mutations happen. Things are born differently than the blueprint set out; It’s just cell division inevitability.

So yes transgender individuals exist, like a million other variations and each culture always treats them a different way. It all boils down to what an able-bodied majority normalizes. The only difference is that right now, our able-bodied majority is trying to be much more inclusive than any previous one has. So as to be expected there will always be parts of humanity that resist this inclusion; We are still a very tradition/routine focused species after all, it’s even part of our survival. And genetically its been proven we are designed to recognize facial features of our own type of people much more in-depthly than other ethnicities for example.

I for one believe every cause any part of humanity tries to further will have some extremists or ignorance behind it detracting from it, so if one wanted to support a cause, focus on diminishing the power of the underlying ignorance that persists around it. That way people can have the freedom to choose what they believe about your cause free from manipulation. That is the biggest hurdle we face as a species.

What Donny is trying to say is don't be Canadian.
 Asura.Vienner
Server: Asura
By Asura.Vienner 2018-05-31 10:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I identified as an ***.
I always looked at you as more of a buttcrack kind of guy.
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-05-31 10:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If I have an Associate's in Visual Communication, does that mean I can identify as a Doctorate of Medicine and Philosophy?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [60 days between previous and next post]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.